Review: PreSonus Central Station (DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp)
Feb 23, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #31 of 276
It has been almost two months since I reviewed Central Station.
I am kind of hoping other users would chime in.
Hard to believe such nice gear gets no love from head-fiers, especially when they are eaily available at local guitar centers and online...

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #32 of 276
I was hoping more comments from experienced head-fiers to point out the pros and cros before I committ myself into a purchase. But no luck. Damn good you guys can audit this so easily.
mad.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #33 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
It has been almost two months since I reviewed Central Station.
I am kind of hoping other users would chime in.
Hard to believe such nice gear gets no love from head-fiers, especially when they are eaily available at local guitar centers and online...

Well, it's a risky gamble at $499 with barely any experience from head-fi members (That I know of). I think only a handful of people have the Central Station on these boards. Another thing is the synergy factor; I'm reluctant to get this thing because I doubt it'd have good synergy with SA5k's or maybe HD600s. And one last thing, it seems kind of wasteful and expensive if you were to only use the headphone portion and not utilize the Preamp and the purely passive control. I can see it being a great value for people who would utilize it for its many functions, but for people like me who have no purpose for a preamp and what not, it seems like overkill.

I am interested in it though because you said that the headphone amp is comparable to the Hornet (Which really surprised me). So, I'm not exactly sure what to think about it.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #34 of 276
I don't think it's overkill or wasteful to buy it only for the DAC, because the quality is such that it could be a stand-alone product at that price. The consider using the headphone amp, which is also comprable to at least $200-300 devices. Now the value of your useage exceeds that which the unit cost. I'd say that's darn good value, and we're not even using the preamp, or other features.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #36 of 276
Ferbose,

I see you have the AKG 501 hooked up to the Central Station. Have you heard the 701 yet, and if so, is it similar in sound characteristics to the 501?

I just bought (stole, almost, check out MF) the Central Station, primarily for its DAC and pre-amp, though I'm also considering the 701, in which case the headphone amp would come in handy (headphones would probably sound great, but I'm just not sure whether I could stand wearing them for extended periods). I'm hoping that the Central Station will be as good a match for the 701 as it is to the 501 (I listen to New Age, light jazz, classical).

Thanks,
Frank

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #37 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by fvoelling
Ferbose,

I see you have the AKG 501 hooked up to the Central Station. Have you heard the 701 yet, and if so, is it similar in sound characteristics to the 501?

I just bought (stole, almost, check out MF) the Central Station, primarily for its DAC and pre-amp, though I'm also considering the 701, in which case the headphone amp would come in handy (headphones would probably sound great, but I'm just not sure whether I could stand wearing them for extended periods). I'm hoping that the Central Station will be as good a match for the 701 as it is to the 501 (I listen to New Age, light jazz, classical).

Thanks,
Frank

Musician's friend only emails out their price, and the price sent to me is $400.
Everywhere else it still seems to be $500.
Guys, hurry up, it is time to grab one!
eek.gif

These numbers are not to be taken seriously, but compared to K501, K701 sounds 99% similar in mids, 5% smoother in the highs, and 60% stronger in the bass. I actually heard K701 on Central Station and it is beautiful.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #38 of 276
would this work well with a PC using the digital out 1/8 plug on the back of an x-fi? how would i go about routing it since it doesnt show a PC source.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #39 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
would this work well with a PC using the digital out 1/8 plug on the back of an x-fi? how would i go about routing it since it doesnt show a PC source.

Use a soundcard or USB sound card with Toslink or coaxial digital out.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #40 of 276
Just realized those mechanical relay switches are very expensive.
The cost is >$200 for 100 pieces.
Those 34 relays alone cost $68 in parts, which by themselves would drive the retail cost over $300.
In comparison, very good OPA604A OP-amps are $150 for 100 pieces, and ordinary NE5532 is $47 for 100 pieces.
To say Central Station is gem-packed is an understatement.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #41 of 276
So, Ferbose, would you consider this to be a good end-it-all DAC/Amp? I still need to get my first amp/DAC, so would you think it'd be good to just get the Central Station and leave it at that?

Also, how would you use the B speaker output with something like the Auro Bass Shakers (How would you set it up and what cables would you need?)?

EDIT: Also, what are those two lights next to each headphone out? Could you try to take some close up shots of the front panel and some size comparison shots with some of the headphones/amps/DACs you own?

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #42 of 276
Very nice review. I was impressed with this preamp at the last meet we had.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #43 of 276
Hi Ferbose!

What kind of tube power amp would you recommend with the Presonus for speakers? I am considering a set of Energy C3 bookshelves....

Thanks for the info on this unit!

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #44 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
So, Ferbose, would you consider this to be a good end-it-all DAC/Amp? I still need to get my first amp/DAC, so would you think it'd be good to just get the Central Station and leave it at that?

Also, how would you use the B speaker output with something like the Auro Bass Shakers (How would you set it up and what cables would you need?)?

This is not the ultimate DAC/AMP combo. You can't even get the ultimate standalone DAC or amp for $500, not to mention a DAC/amp. There sure are better DAC/amp out there at higher prices, but most of them don't accept analog in. It is important to consider that the amps in Central Station can play analog in from SACD, DVD-A, radio and LP. The two lights beside each headphone jack indicates if the amp is playing the main or cue signal. Main signal can be in turn selected between TRS1, TRS2, aux and digital; cue signal can be also selected between TRS1, TRS2, aux and digital. This means one jack can be playing TRS1 analog-in from a tuner, while the other jack playing digital audio the computer. Yes, you get two completely independent amps.

If you want noticeable better DAC and amp capabilities, you really have to go into $1K-1.5K range IMHO. If you want to add a preamp of the same caliber as Central Station, another $500-$1000 is probably required. Now, if you want to add all the connectivity that Central Station offers, it is almost impossible. That is why I say Central Station is the center piece of an affordable two-channel system. You will always find some good use for it, even if you upgrade further and further.

To use the output, you will need a TS-to-RCA adapter so you can use odinary RCA cables. Alternatively, I am planning to get Pro-Co TS-to-RCA cables from Sweerwater.com. Each of the input/output jacks in the back support both TRS (balanced) and TS plugs (unbalanced). You see, the use of 1/4" jacks is much more convenient that using XLR and RCA jacks. Instead of XLR and RCA (2 jacks), you only need one TRS jack. This is why Central Station is a connection powerhouse, offering both source switching and monitor selection. Speaker (line-level) outputs A, B and C are independent, except that A and B can't be simultaneously on. You can play A, B, C, AC, and BC, but not AB or ABC.

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #45 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
Hi Ferbose!

What kind of tube power amp would you recommend with the Presonus for speakers? I am considering a set of Energy C3 bookshelves....

Thanks for the info on this unit!

Inexpensive tube power amps are rare.
Antique Sound Labs made some and still does.
Their current offering is a bit more expensive, maybe you can find their older "wave" series $99 monoblocks in the used market.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin.../coolaudio.htm

If you can spend a bit more, Energy's new bookshelf is supposed to be even better than C-3: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back