REVIEW:Pioneer SE-DIR800C Dolby Headphones w/DIR1000 Comparisons
Jan 29, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #47 of 63
I bought 800c two weeks ago, and I am loving it. Today, I watched Alien vs Predator in my home theatre, using 800c only. At the opening scene where there is a shot of a satellite spinning overhead, I can actually feel that it is actually right over me in the sky. My 5.1 home theatre cannot do that, but then, my surround speakers are not placed properly. So, 800c is great. The next time I watch dvd with it, I'll turn on the sub to get that vibration feeling.

It is great for music. But, I have to use equalizer (in the software) to give me the response I like.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #48 of 63
Yeah, somehow though my dolby headphone system seem to do the same as well even when I wasn't sitting in the right position. Now I have recently discovered that sitting on a bed for any surround sound system is not the way to go, ever since I have used a chair, DH has improved signicantly with or without DCL3000. Of course when it comes to bass, these headphone even sounded good with an old movie like black hole, which has certain bass passages that are known to grind your speakers up. The scene when the palamino shakes usually can outrival speakers 50-200.00, a slight distortion, but with these headphone the bass frequency are nice and controlled. I now know the definition of tight bottom end, these suckers kill!!!

So far I have used them with one movie, another classic oldie. Bass sounds were great though. Usually the bass from older movies can sometimes even surpass your basic 50-100.00 speakers. Sky Captain should sound great!

Be aware that some DVDs will outrank other in sound, and it's simply because the movie industry chosen a certain format.

Feb 3, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #49 of 63
Hi, new to these forums and to headphones in general. Basically the only experience I've had with anything sound-related that are worth mentioning are the Sony MDR-EX71SL earbuds.

I've been searching for a wireless dolby headphone set for a while, and for a while assumed the only high-end sets were the MDR-DS8000. That is, till I came here. Now since basically no one tested the Sony sets and the SE-DIR800C are in the same range and getting a decent review & coverage, I'm interested in these.

The ATH-DCL3000 are a tad more expensive than I would like to dish out for in an introduction set.

So, Unless something has changed in the last few days, am I assuming correctly that the SE-DIR800C are the sets below the ATH-DCL3000?

Also, I'm in Canada, and OneCall, being the only online retailers that I've seen carrying these products don't ship up here, does anyone know where else I can find this product in Canada or that would ship up here?

I hope I'll end up having more freedom of choice than getting a set of MDR-DS8000, which are relatively untested, from EBay.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: found out about Audiocubes, great site, and they ship to us Canucks!
eggosmile.gif

Edit 2: From what I've read it seems that the 800C is superior to the 1000C, but the latter one has better specs... am I missing something? Oh, and is the SE-XB1 just an 1000C painted black? or are there other differences?

Feb 3, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #50 of 63
I would put the ATH-DCL3000s above the Pioneer 800Cs. To me the Audio-Technica's headphones present a wider soundstage with better bass as well as being more comfortable (and expensive.)

I've read a couple of posts where people like the Pioneer 1000Cs over the 800Cs, but the majority of people prefer the 800Cs. (I believe the 1000Cs are open headphones, while the 800Cs are closed.)

Philips also makes a version of the Dolby Headphones decoder and headphones. I've never seen or tried it though.

The Pioneer Dolby Headphone system and headphones are available through several Internet companies. I've only seen the Audio-Technica system and headphones available through Audio Cubes. (At least to this continent, that is.)

(The Dolby Headphone decoder can also be found in some receivers from Harmon-Kardon, Denon, and Onkyo.)

Feb 3, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Franchot
I would put the ATH-DCL3000s above the Pioneer 800Cs. To me the Audio-Technica's headphones present a wider soundstage with better bass as well as being more comfortable (and expensive.)

Yeah, I meant are the 800C the ones right below the DCL3000s or if there was another set a step up. From my searches I guess the 800Cs are the ones right below it.

Aside from Audio Cubes & OneCall, I haven't seen anywhere else selling the products.

Quick question though: if I understand correctly, Audio Cubes import products from Japan, but are there American versions of the Pioneer Dolby headphones? Or do they all use Japanese jacks (assuming it's different)?

Thanks for the help

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #52 of 63
As far as I can ascertain, the Pioneer North American version (DIR800C)(which is sold in stores in this country) is the same as the Pioneer Japanese version except for the voltage differences and the instructions which are in English. Supposedly, a voltage converter is needed if you're using the Japanese version in this country, but I've read about people running it fine without using one. (Come to think of it, I think I recall that the headphones are also a slightly different color between versions as well.)

I think SFXJames on this forum has the American version and he didn't purchase it from One Call. Try search, perhaps, or send him an e-mail?

(You could also go to http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...990338,00.html

and see if their dealer locator can help you.)

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #53 of 63
Alright, thanks for the information, I've emailed sfxjames and hope he or someone else can help me get a pair of those.

Living in Canada can sometimes be a challenge...
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames
Takashi what's your set-up and how far do you sit from your TV?

It's AV400 (misterious-Chinese-all-round DVD player) -> opt digital out -> DIR1000C transmitter-> DCL3000R headphone. And I sit 12-13 feet away from TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decel
From what I've read it seems that the 800C is superior to the 1000C, but the latter one has better specs... am I missing something? Oh, and is the SE-XB1 just an 1000C painted black? or are there other differences?

Pioneer intriduced 1000C first, and made XB1 as "X-Box specialized version with enhanced low range" (not a huge difference, though), and later 800C debuted as closed version with lower-but-good-enough spec.

FYI, Victor/JVC is now preparing their dolby headphone system HP-W1000. Previously it was announced to debut in November last year but delayed until early March. Price is open, the spec looks strangely similar to DIR-800C (well, I have a hunch) except it's an open phone, has 2 opt input and 1 analogue, and can handle AAC and DTS-ES 6.1ch in addition.
Distracting, huh?
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/accessor...hone/surround/

Feb 4, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #55 of 63
Hmmm, is there a newbie thread that lays out the characteristic differences as well as pro/con between open air and closed headphones?
confused.gif

Like I stated earlier, my only experience worth noting is from a pair of Sony earbuds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takashi
FYI, Victor/JVC is now preparing their dolby headphone system HP-W1000. Previously it was announced to debut in November last year but delayed until early March. Price is open, the spec looks strangely similar to DIR-800C (well, I have a hunch) except it's an open phone, has 2 opt input and 1 analogue, and can handle AAC and DTS-ES 6.1ch in addition.
Distracting, huh?
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/accessor...hone/surround/

Dang, does that mean a whole new generation is coming? How often do the companies redesign/release new wireless products? From what I've read the 800C came in '04, but products like the MDR-DS8000 have been around since 2002...

Feb 4, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #56 of 63
LOL, sorry for confusing you.

First, you should search the forum and you will find a lot of discussion regarding open and closed. As for 800C and 1000C, let me make it easier for you.

1000C: lets in outside sound, bulky, top heavy, thick earpads and loose clamping (falls off easily).
800C: isolates you from outside world, smaller, lighter, thinner earpads and snag fit.

Although many people here prefer 800C over 1000C, I think difference of the sound is not so significant.

And about Victor/JVC wireless system, I have a feeling that this is another Pioneer system (just like DCL3000), a JVC tweaked version of 800C. NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE ANY EVIDENCE ON THIS.
So if I'm correct, you shouldn't worry about it unless you are desperately in need of AAC and 6.1ch.

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #57 of 63
Alright, thanks for clearing it up. I was especially intimidated by the newbish fact that 1000 > 800, and would usually lead to the 1000 model being newer and better.
blink.gif

I'll do some more poking around, and if I can't find the US version of these I'll go for ACube's products.

I can couple DIR800 extra headphones with an XB1 right? Bass is a must for gaming.

Oh, and I took a peek at the Qualia headphones
eek.gif

Wonder how those sound...

Feb 4, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

I can couple DIR800 extra headphones with an XB1 right? Bass is a must for gaming.

Yes, they are fully compatible. Just to make sure, HEADPHONE dominates the sound characteristics, not transmitter.

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames
In short the best way to go is by buying the SE-DIR800C and replacing the headphones with the ATH-DCL3000. That's what I'm doing.

I just used froogle to compare the setup of this -- it looks to be $159 + $339 respectively = ~500.

I'm wondering how this compares to using a receiver with Dolby Headphone built into it. I recently bought a Kenwood VRS-7100 for this purpose and will be receiving it shortly. Cost of this is $250 + your existing headphones + existing headphone amp, if applicable and if the receiver routes the DH signal to the preouts for use with the headphone amp.

Feb 4, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Dang, does that mean a whole new generation is coming? How often do the companies redesign/release new wireless products? From what I've read the 800C came in '04, but products like the MDR-DS8000 have been around since 2002...

I hate to break it to you, but something new is ALWAYS coming.
600smile.gif

HD-DVD, BluRay, DD+, DTS-HD...they're all coming. It's impossible to stay ahead, so just jump in at the price point you can afford and enjoy what you get.

(Although these Dolby Headphones products haven't changed too much over the years, Dolby Labs is probably cooking up a new and improved version even as you're reading this. Sony hasn't been very successful in engineering a successful surround-sound headphone so they're probably working on a newer version, also.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back