Review: Philips SA3285 -Pic added (9/3/09)
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gameboy115

Headphoneus Supremus
I will make a brief comparison between 2 player : sony A 728 VS Philip SA 3285

I just got this Sa 3285 for a few hours . Like to share my feeling to everyone

Vocal part:
Transparent : Sony > Philip
Warmer : Philip > Sony
Detail : Sony (Eqed) > Philip> Sony(Non-Eqed)
Low : Philip > Sony
Mid and High: Sony> Philip

Even Sony seems to wins over Philip in terms of vocal, it is just some basic difference between cold and warm sound sig. If you like apple sound sig, Philip is just like that. At least I like this more than Fuze I tried around in store.( Fuze is just too warm for me, little muddy I think). For detail, Philip only have 70% detail against Sony(eqed)

Vocal for Philip is quite forward, even before my purchase, I think Sony is so forward already, but Philip is more than it

Instrument: Sony(EQed)> Philip. Sony is more crisp, sound more real to me

Separation between instrument and Vocal: Sony > Philip. Sometimes Sony is more focus on background instrument then vocal, but Philip is always on vocal part.

Soundstage, Sony>Philip ( just a bit).

Bass part : Philip is equal to Sony turning on “clear bass”1-2 level , but quality is worse than Sony. Sony is like elastic bass, bound back quick and clear

side by side sony A 728 and Philip

Just bought 79CAD, if it is limited budget for me and want a decent 8GB MP3 players, give it a try
darthsmile.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 9
How the **** can EQ increase detail?

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 9
Doesnt philip players have an freqency reponse range starting from 80Hz. With that alone not buying this philip players. Some others do start at 20Hz much better :p

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How the **** can EQ increase detail?

Have you tried to play around EQ, for instance turn treble up to get better instrument seperation and performance, not all instruments, at least some of them must have some gain. Also, if your head phone is too dark/ warm which overemphasis low end, I sure the detail of female vocal won't easily be noticed. Turn treble up also seems a fix to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesnt philip players have an freqency reponse range starting from 80Hz. With that alone not buying this philip players. Some others do start at 20Hz much better :p

Sorry, Don't get in the data too much, sure it won't be a match with sony, but decent and cheap enough for a student

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without pics, it's a fail
smily_headphones1.gif

please take a look, now updated

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 9
That player indicates it starts from 80Hz, that seems to be just the mid of the lower end of the bass :p probably wont make much difference :p

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried to play around EQ, for instance turn treble up to get better instrument seperation and performance, not all instruments, at least some of them must have some gain. Also, if your head phone is too dark/ warm which overemphasis low end, I sure the detail of female vocal won't easily be noticed. Turn treble up also seems a fix to me.

Adding in equalization, last time I checked, does not increase sound quality. Sure, it can lift a veil slightly, but that's not really "detail". More "compensation". I think whatever headphones you're using are technically getting those details already, you just can't hear them as well because they're not brought out enough in comparison to other frequencies.

Try listening with no EQ then listen again with the EQ on but set it flat. Keep switching back and forth. It's weird and hard to describe and/or even notice, but the sound seems more... processed, or something. I wouldn't say details are necessarily LOST (then again I don't own an HD800 so I could be wrong), but it definitely doesn't add a thing.

Also, the cheapie kings around here are the Clip and Fuze. Try a Clip, which you can get for some ridiculously low prices. You will be impressed.
wink_face.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding in equalization, last time I checked, does not increase sound quality. Sure, it can lift a veil slightly, but that's not really "detail". More "compensation". I think whatever headphones you're using are technically getting those details already, you just can't hear them as well because they're not brought out enough in comparison to other frequencies.

Try listening with no EQ then listen again with the EQ on but set it flat. Keep switching back and forth. It's weird and hard to describe and/or even notice, but the sound seems more... processed, or something. I wouldn't say details are necessarily LOST (then again I don't own an HD800 so I could be wrong), but it definitely doesn't add a thing.

Also, the cheapie kings around here are the Clip and Fuze. Try a Clip, which you can get for some ridiculously low prices. You will be impressed.
wink_face.gif

For me, it is quite different. May be it just depends on which earbud you got, so far I just have some midrange IEM, so I think it work only with those. Pushing everything +2 in eq expect 5hz for 1, make me listen "more" detail, for instance, I can notice trembling of voice from a male singer which I can't get it from flat Eq. Again it is just personal experience from a limited chocie of earbud

Off the topic a little bit. Non Eq sound form Sony is sooo drab and unclear, my 1st gen iphone does better most of time. Eqed +1 is like unveil everything, but the price is become artifical and as you said"processed", not natural, sure shinning at the first sight, but no good for long listening, that happens especially for vocal.

I would die for if a DAP can get apple vocal + sony(soundstage and dynamic, insturment performance). I guess this is the way it is. Since from I hear D2 is much colder than other DAP, so no DAP seems perfect

Shame that Fuze 8gb is not cheap in Canada, any eq setting I can play with fuze anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back