[REVIEW] PFE-232 from David @ Headphones.com [DavidMahler]
Jan 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HeadphonesCom

Member of the Trade: Headphones.com
[size=22.0pt]WHEN NOTHING BUT THE BEST WILL DO[/size]
The Audeo PFE-232 are among the very best earphones I have ever come across.  While other brands manage to cram more drivers into each earpiece, none have surpassed the PFE-232’s ability to render detail.  Notably, Audeo has continued to implement their magnificent user-replaceable acoustic filter design. The PFE-232 are among the most customizable high-end earphones on the planet and as such, have quickly earned Audeo a place at the top of a crowded field of IEM manufacturers.

[size=14.0pt]THE FIT & THE FINISH[/size]
As far as I am concerned, there is no significant feature lacking in the design of the PFE-232.  Meanwhile there are some truly excellent unique features offered.
Please see below how we graded the performance of the design and features.

GRADE KEY
A+ - The best in its class
A – Top flight performance
B – Good performance, but could be bettered
C – Fair performance
D – Below-average performance
F – Poor performance
n/a – Feature not included
R – Feature is extremely rare and cannot be weighed against other brands

FEATURE / DESIGN
GRADE
Comfortable
A+
Compact
A
Durable
A
Isolation
A
Attractive Design
A
A Variety of ear tips (foam prefered)
A
Carrying Case (hard preferred)
B
iPhone compatible (remote/mic)
A
Smart-Phone compatible (remote/mic) *[size=8.0pt]some exceptions apply[/size]
A
Call quality / clarity
A+
Removable Cable
A
Handling of Microphonics / Worn behind ears
A
Sturdy/Stylish Packaging
A
Cleaning Tool
A
Right-angle Plug (reduces strain)
A
¼ “ adapter
n/a
Extension cable
n/a
Airplane adapter
n/a
User removable and replaceable Acoustic Filters
R
Extra cable included (without remote)
R

Like Audeo’s previous models, the PFE-232 is extremely pleasing ergonomically as it fits in the ear with ease.  The comfort level achieved is easily the best in the business.  Part of this may have to do with the fact that Audeo’s parent company, Phonak, has long played a significant role in the development and manufacturing of hearing aids.  The cable is intended to tuck behind the ear, removing the majority of microphonics.  Furthermore, Audeo generously includes a pair of silicone ear guides, should you prefer extra reinforcement.  I usually opt to not use ear guides since I feel the cable stays in place perfectly fine without reinforcing them.

The PFE-232 comes with 3 differently-sized pairs of silicone and 3 differently-sized comply foam ear tips.  I preferred the foam tips as I was able to get a better seal while using them.  As is one of the standard benefits of using IEMs, the sound isolation is excellent once fitted properly within your ear canal.

The PFE-232 employs a dual balanced armature driver design.  While several companies presently offer earphones with a greater number of balanced armature drivers than the Audeo, the PFE-232’s two driver combination does not leave me wishing for more drivers.  To accommodate the listener’s unique preferences, Audeo includes three distinct user-replaceable acoustic filters.  These acoustic filters are easy to install, remove, reuse, replace and allow the user to vary the frequency response of the earphone. 

The smart-phone remote/microphone is embedded at just below the chin on the right side of the y-split cable.  The microphone and remote are compatible with most smart-phones, including the iPhone.  The call quality is exceptional on both ends; better than average in my opinion.  The PFE-232 also ships with an extra cable without remote / microphone for those who do not intend to use their earphones with a smart-phone.  Should the user wish to swap cables or should the cable ever need to be replaced due to damage, the cable is easy to remove and reinstall.

The soft carrying pouch offers a cushiony interior and a zipper to seal.  I do prefer a hard-shell carrying case – my only criticism of the included abundance of features, however small.

[size=14.0pt]ALL ABOUT THE SOUND…[/size]
Where to begin!? The PFE-232 is ultra-customizable so describing the sound in one fell swoop is simply impossible.  Let’s start by discussing the three acoustic filters included.  The PFE-232 ship with the grey filter pre-installed.  There is an extra pair of grey filters included.  The grey filter allows for the brightest, most detailed sound.  It is my preference in most instances.  The green filter allows for the warmest sound with greatest bass presence.  I do however feel there is a sense of air lost when using the green filter and because of this it is not my preference of the three.  The black filter is very much the middle ground between the aforementioned filters.  The black filter has a more full sound than the grey, but more air and treble extension than the green.  I could see this filter being preferred by many.  I prefer the grey for its ability to create the most detailed in-ear experience I have ever heard.  While the grey filter creates a slightly bright sound, it is the overtones and harmonics achieved with the grey filter that simply makes for one of the most revealing in-ear listening experiences around.

THE GOOD
  1. The Frequency response is customizable (more bass / less bass / more treble)
  2. Detail and more detail, not to mention detail!
  3. Very good instrument separation when using the grey and black filters
  4. Larger soundstage than average
  5. With grey filter, sound leans towards bright, but is extremely transparent
  6. With black filter, sound leans towards neutral, but loses a hint of transparency
  7. With green filter, sound is a bit warm, but very enticing
THE BAD
  1. There is a degree of sibilance, especially with the grey filter
  2. Other brands such as Westone & Shure offer earphones with a smoother sound

THE GREY FILTER: This acoustic filter is those seeking to obtain the most detail from their earphones. Listening to classical music and acoustic instruments in general with the grey filter installed is simply sublime, even directly out of the iPhone/iPod.

While listening to Julia Fischer’s performance of the Brahms Violin Concerto for Pentatone Classics, I was astounded by the PFE-232’s ability to render depth and space.  In this regard, the PFE-232 sounded more like full-size headphones than any other in-ear I’ve tried.  I even picked up on something I’ve never heard with full-size headphones.  In the right channel at about 4 minutes into the final movement, you can hear several time one of the cellists bows slap against the strings close to the bridge.  It’s amazing to hear such details right out of an iPod, let alone with an in-ear headphone.

While listening to Dave Holland’s “Prime Directive”, On this recording, instruments are panned a bit hard, and listening in earphones can emphasize this.  Fortunately the PFE-232 provides this recording with a well-defined center, similar to full-size headphones.  The percussion has so much detail that usually gets lost.  Flipping between other earphones, the PFE-232 sounds as if you’re taken out of the darkness and given the opportunity to spotlight any instrument you choose.

While listening to Nick Drake’s “Bryter Layter”, I was disturbed a bit by the amount of tape hiss that was present.  While the mix sounded well-balanced, the grey filter certainly made it known right then and there that it may not be the ideal acoustic filter for older recordings or recordings extracted from analog source tapes in general.  A bit disappointed in this regard, except that wait a minute….I can switch to…

THE BLACK FILTER: Ah, that’s better.  Still a bit more tape hiss than I’m used to in fact, but not enough to detract from the listening experience.  Because the treble is reduced, the midrange and bass feel more present here.  Listening to Flaming Lips’ Embryonic album, I was pleased to hear overtones in the distortion of the guitars that are usually not audible.  Even with the black filter, the earphones are still very detailed.  It takes roughly 2 minutes to switch filters properly, though it’s not a simple enough procedure that one would want to do it while in commute.  It is likely, that for listening sessions or workouts, one will choose the filter they like best for their music and listening preferences.  For the discerning audiophile who is seeking a variety of sound similar to tube rolling, it is reassuring to have 3 distinct acoustic filters on standby at all times. 

THE GREEN FILTER: For people who prefer a warmer tone, the green filter will likely be the preferred one.  While listening to Kanye West’s “All of the Lights”, I was pleased to see that the bass, while raised for impact, did not feel any less tight.  There was still plenty of detail coming through.  I heard elements in the tracks, including entire vocal tracks, which I’d never heard before.  The percussion was rendered with appropriate punch.  I was surprised, yet happy that the earphones did not shift sonic character too drastically.  If you are looking for the bassiest earphones around, the Green Filter may still not provide enough bass for you.  The Green filter doesn’t turn the PFE-232 into a dance clubJ

HOW DO THESE COMPARE?
Compared with other top-choice balanced armature IEMs, namely  Westone’s top offerings (Westone 4, Westone 3 & UM3X) and Shure’s top offering (SE-535), the PFE-232 are clearly the most versatile as well as detailed.  The Shures and Westones have less treble emphasis and being as such can often sound a bit smoother in overall tone.  The Westone 4 have long been my favorite universal-fit IEM, but the feature-filled PFE-232 is perhaps a bit more recommendable since it is just so customizable to one’s preference.  The Sennheiser IE8 employs a dynamic transducer and features a stepped bass contour control which alters the low frequency response depending on the listener’s preference.  I prefer the alterations of Audeo’s filters over Sennheiser’s bass contour feature.  I also prefer the overall sound of the PFE-232 over the IE8.

Compared with Jerry Harvey Audio’s top-flight custom-molded IEMs, the JH13 and JH16, the PFE-232 performs quite well.  While JH Audio’s offerings are fuller and more transparent, the PFE-232 are no less detailed.  Considering the price difference, the PFE-232 is a success.  Compared with Westone’s custom-molded ES5, the PFE-232 has less body but more far more detail.  These two wonderful earphones almost sound like polar opposites of one another.  The PFE-232 boasts more harmonics and spatial information, while the ES5 is far more robust and smooth, but in comparison, sounds a bit distant.  It is fascinating to hear a universal-fit IEM compete so well against much pricier custom-fitted options.  Keep in mind that I am comparing a universal-fit / dual balanced armature design against a custom-fitted design with up to 8 balanced armature drivers.  With regard to classical music in particular, the PFE-232 was not bested by any of the respective IEMs when using the grey filters.

[size=14.0pt]LAST WORD[/size]
The PFE-232 is currently one of the most pricy options in universal-fit in ear monitors.  With this in mind, it should be among the best sounding and most feature-filled choices.  It most certainly is.  It is the most feature-filled IEM I’ve ever come across and certainly among the very best sounding.  I can have little doubt that with the various filters, ear tips and smart-phone compatibility, just about anyone would be more than pleased.  If you are looking for – the perfect travel companion; the most comfortable earphones available; the most versatile sound to satisfy your discerning ears - then the PFE-232 is my top recommendation for you.

RATING CHART @ PRICEPOINT
Sound: 9.5
Design & Features: 10
Value: 9.5

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 18
Thank you for the great read, my friend. Nice to see comparisons between the PFE232 and a few high end customs. 
smile.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 18
The only comment I feel qualified to add (since don't have the referenced earphones) is this: try the foam instead of the silicone.  I found the brightness somewhat mitigated (perhaps "enough"), and any tendency toward sibilance disappeared. 

(This was also my experience with SE530s, with which I experimented for years, even customizing silicone and foam tips.  None worked as well as the "medium" foams for each type of earphone.) 

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 18
According to the following statement:

The PFE-232 comes with 3 differently-sized pairs of silicone and 3 differently-sized comply foam ear tips.  I preferred the foam tips as I was able to get a better seal while using them.  As is one of the standard benefits of using IEMs, the sound isolation is excellent once fitted properly within your ear canal.

The OP is in fact using the provided Comply foam tips. It's not so much the tips in this case, but the filter in use. Just one of the consequences of using the grey filters. What strikes me as interesting, however, is the following statement:

THE BLACK FILTER: Ah, that’s better.  Still a bit more tape hiss than I’m used to in fact, but not enough to detract from the listening experience.  Because the treble is reduced, the midrange and bass feel more present here.

That's quite literally the opposite effect the black filter is supposed to have. 
tongue.gif
 It's meant to enhance both the high and low end, relative to the midrange, as is indicated by the following FRC for the PFE232's three filters:

This is exactly how I hear them, with the grey offering a most even presentation, yet on the bright side, and the black offering high and low end emphasis, and the green sounding most dark, and much too veiled for my listening pleasures.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
According to the following statement:

The OP is in fact using the provided Comply foam tips. It's not so much the tips in this case, but the filter in use. Just one of the consequences of using the grey filters. What strikes me as interesting, however, is the following statement:

That's quite literally the opposite effect the black filter is supposed to have. 
tongue.gif
 It's meant to enhance both the high and low end, relative to the midrange, as is indicated by the following FRC for the PFE232's three filters:

This is exactly how I hear them, with the grey offering a most even presentation, yet on the bright side, and the black offering high and low end emphasis, and the green sounding most dark, and much too veiled for my listening pleasures.

it depends how you consider it.  For me the 3 khz to 6 khz boost makes the grey filter easily brighter despite its boost in the 1 to 2 khz region.  When this upper region is brought down as shown with the black and green filters the mids are more discernable.  I wouldn't say the grey appears the most even, but I do agree that it is probably the best overall filter, as I thought it was the most transparent. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 18
It's always relative, of course. Relative to the black and green filters, the grey's response is closest to a linear/fairly even response (as is depicted), which is what I was getting at. The grey is indeed on the bright side, and certainly is the most transparent of the three. It's also my favorite of the 3 filters. 
smile.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
It's always relative, of course. Relative to the black and green filters, the grey's response is closest to a linear/fairly even response (as is depicted), which is what I was getting at. The grey is indeed on the bright side, and certainly is the most transparent of the three. It's also my favorite of the 3 filters. 
smile.gif

Bass and treble are balanced on both filters, however, the mids on the blacks are closer to being balanced than that on the green filters...  As on the grey filters, something weird happens, the bass and treble are still balanced, but the midrange goes from under the balance line (in the lower mids) to higher (in the higher mids).  This, in a way does balance out the mids to that level; at the same time it doesn't. 

Draw an average line (through any of the three freq graphs) and see how far things go from that average line...  The further things are, the less balanced they are...  The greys and blacks are the most balanced if anything.  Perception wise, I can see people saying that the blacks are more balanced (remember 1dB up is 4x as much as 1dB down).  However, the actual numbers for the greys do show more balance (but this doesn't lead to a perceived balanced).

With the Phonaks, the bass and treble are in balance with each other, so it would be the loss of balance in the mids (mainly recessed).  So the deeper that V/U shape, the less balance there is.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 18
Hi,I'm interested in the 232s.It seems from pretty much all of the reviews I've read that the gray filter is the day to day one.My concern is the brightness of the treble.I'm considering pairing them with a Dacport,which has a smooth sound signature.Does anyone have any experience of this pairing?Will the Dacport tame the treble of the 232s?Thanks.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
  Perception wise, I can see people saying that the blacks are more balanced (remember 1dB up is 4x as much as 1dB down).  However, the actual numbers for the greys do show more balance (but this doesn't lead to a perceived balanced).

With the Phonaks, the bass and treble are in balance with each other, so it would be the loss of balance in the mids (mainly recessed).  So the deeper that V/U shape, the less balance there is.

Don't confuse DB with voltage. 10db is percieved as 2x as loud. 3db require 2x the voltage. I don't really understand what your saying here but I may just be missing the context. Better off using ears than drawing lines through those graphs which are not fully canal compensated. Filter choice can be a simple as DAP pairing as to which sounds more linear.

Haven't heard the 232 but on 112s, the black filter definitely reduces highs along with the upper mids. Hard not to when increasing acoustic resistance. In this case it seems it doesn't limit fine detail retrieval.
bigsmile_face.gif

The case would get an A+ for those that use a Fuze
wink_face.gif
. It fits as though it was intentional into one of the zippered compartments and also gives the soft case some structure.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:

Don't confuse DB with voltage. 10db is percieved as 2x as loud. 3db require 2x the voltage. I don't really understand what your saying here but I may just be missing the context. Better off using ears than drawing lines through those graphs which are not fully canal compensated. Filter choice can be a simple as DAP pairing as to which sounds more linear.

Haven't heard the 232 but on 112s, the black filter definitely reduces highs along with the upper mids. Hard not to when increasing acoustic resistance. In this case it seems it doesn't limit fine detail retrieval.
bigsmile_face.gif

The case would get an A+ for those that use a Fuze
wink_face.gif
. It fits as though it was intentional into one of the zippered compartments and also gives the soft case some structure.

232s have a V shape sig with the grey filters, which are definitely more balanced than the greens.  Black filters extend the V shape a bit, but the 232s do have slight bump in the higher mids which the black filters rid of.  The green filters are just a deep V.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 18
I suggest we don't get hung up on what "midrange" and "highs" mean.  Different interpretations cause confusion.

The chart makes it look like "mid" range is about 1-2kHz.  But to my ear, 400-700 Hz is midrange, at least midrange warmth, which I find just a tiny bit lacking with gray filters

I haven't tried black, but will.  As you can see, it lowers the brightness and "glare" regions more than it does "my" midrange.  So it could well warm up the sound and take out subjective brightness. 

Lastly, an ideal earphone chart is not flat.  What is ideal?  I suspect there is lots of literature on this, but I'm not read-up on it.  Furthermore, one or more dips are in fact necessary to prevent a resonance in the ear (outer/middle?) from overwhelming the rest of the range.  So, even a gradual curve is not necessarily better. 

Even more confounding is the fact that some depressions in the response help to make the sound appear to come from in front of the listener, not in the head.  I think I recall that the HD600 or HD650 have such a notch deliberately.  Trouble is that some pinnae and some canals are different sizes and shapes, so this trick doesn't work equally well for everyone. 

In principle, notches and other "anomalies" can be deliberately introduced (as in early "virtual audio" out of Ames Research Center here in Silicon Valley) to trick the ear-brain into interpreting sounds as coming from far, near, up, down, behind. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
I suggest we don't get hung up on what "midrange" and "highs" mean.  Different interpretations cause confusion.

It's best we all be on the same page, pertaining to highs, mids, and lows. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back