REVIEW: PenguinAmp Caffeine portable headphone amp w/BASS BOOST - Aka HEADSTAGE LYRIX
Mar 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #106 of 138
The Penguin amps compete with and sound as good as amps like the $160 Meier Headsix, and line out is almost always better with an LOD than amping the headphone out. Not all cmoy amps or amps in a penguin till are equal - the sound can be very different, so accept no substitutes!

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #108 of 138
The Altoids case amp is the JSeaber cmoy bass boost (early version below 2.0 without volume knob, like maybe v1.4) and the Penguin case amp is the PenguinAmp Caffeine Pro.

I gave the Altoids one to my brother-in-law who still uses it with some DT-231, and I sold the Caffeine after I bought the Headstage Lyrix which was an upgraded version of the Caffeine (in build, but the sound is similar).

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #110 of 138
I think the Caffeine Pro would be a good match for IE8 - it's tonality lies between the Headsix and Pico and is slightly brighter than Headsix. The bass of the Headsix is not a problem with the IE8, but the treble is smoother more laid back than something like the Tomahawk which was more aggressive. That led me to sell the TH and use the Headsix once I modded my stock SE530 into customs with a more extended freq response. I'd bet the Tomahawk would also be a good match for the IE8 as well since it was favorite for the stock SE530.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #111 of 138
No more Caffeine's in stock till May

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #113 of 138
I guess no one read this the first time so I'll resubmit it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noob here...I just found this thread and have been reading it all day. Very interesting and a very nice review too. I have been looking at these types of amps on Ebay for some time now and after reading the review I now know what I want. I checked the Penguin website and it seems they won't be available until May. I do have a question tho. I have an ipod 120 with a pair of Sony V900HDs. I have a LOD for it but I haven't had a chance to utilize it yet. What should I expect as far as SQ improvement goes if I get one of the Penguin amps using the line out?

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #114 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by benbrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess no one read this the first time so I'll resubmit it.

My reply in post #106 was directed toward your question: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post5567899

If I wasn't specific enough, then READ post #1 !
tongue.gif

May 14, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #117 of 138
I bet it would be - the only ones I have heard are the Caffeine Pro and the Royal, and both were very good values. I have not heard an Ultra, and don't know what was different than the Pro. I do plan to review the Headstage Arrow at some point in the future as well.

May 29, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #119 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhp1161 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is op rolling
redface.gif

Swapping out little chips inside the amp to get a different sound. Can't do that with all amps, only some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back