REVIEW: PenguinAmp Caffeine portable headphone amp w/BASS BOOST - Aka HEADSTAGE LYRIX
Oct 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #93 of 138
The only time I ever heard 555 was at the local hi-fi shop a year ago, and with the Tomahawk the 555 sounded like poop, so I assume the problem is with the 555.
tongue.gif

Anyone else with experience with 555?

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #94 of 138
Just bought a Lyrix amp for my Triple-fis and I am defintely doing something wrong. For now the music is getting washed out greatly in low or high gain. Or maybe there is signal missing and it could be my LOD? Though my current LOD is a new one; here it is.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #95 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a Lyrix amp for my Triple-fis and for now the music is getting washed out greatly in low or high gain. Or maybe there is signal missing and it could be my LOD? Though my current LOD is a new one; here it is.

Hmmm, sounds like a weak battery - check that first. Is the problem in both channels, and you know the LOD is not defective? Did you plug the input and headphones into the correct jacks?

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #96 of 138
You got it, it was the battery. Plugged in via AC it has no problem. I guess I got jipped by Radioshack. :/

Err, anyone got a good recommendation for a rechargeable 9v battery I can order from online?

By the way it took ~1.5 month to get to me. Came with 2 packs of the caffeine mints; thought that was a cute service.

The bass boost is very effective with my headphones. Cross-feed sounds like it makes things louder, not sure I notice the sound being pushed over, but that is just me.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #97 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got it, it was the battery. Plugged in via AC it has no problem. I guess I got jipped by Radioshack. :/

Err, anyone got a good recommendation for a rechargeable 9v battery I can order from online?

By the way it took ~1.5 month to get to me. Came with 2 packs of the caffeine mints; thought that was a cute service.

The bass boost is very effective with my headphones. Cross-feed sounds like it makes things louder, not sure I notice the sound being pushed over, but that is just me.

Glad I could help - I always check power first, then cables. I bought a 4-pack of Tenergy 9v 250ma NiMH on ebay a while back for $10, and they do very well.

Crossfeed works best after the amp has a couple hundred hours on it.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #98 of 138
Can anyone tell me if the Caffeine Ultra charges the battery when the amp itself is switched off, with the wall wart plugged in and the amp working the circuit board gets quite warm this is not the case when I have the charger plugged in and the amp switched off, basically does the amp have to be switched on to charge the battery?

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #99 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by spenboyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me if the Caffeine Ultra charges the battery when the amp itself is switched off, with the wall wart plugged in and the amp working the circuit board gets quite warm this is not the case when I have the charger plugged in and the amp switched off, basically does the amp have to be switched on to charge the battery?

It charges when the amp is off, last I checked.

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #100 of 138
It seems the Penguin amps slaughtered the John Seaber's cmoy v1.48 in this review that was done a year ago...

How does the new John Seaber's cmoybb v2.01 stack up to the penguin amps(and competitions) now? Does anyone has any input on this?

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #101 of 138
I tried to buy a discounted 2.0 solely for the sake of review - someone else got to it before I did, and JSeaber has not tried to put another one in my hands. Now I have replaced the Penguin with a Lyrix, since someone wanted the Penguin badly; and I can't compare them even if I did have a 2.01 JSeaber BB Cmoy.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #104 of 138
Works just great with my triple-fis so far, and are starting to sound significantly better with time.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #105 of 138
Noob here...I just found this thread and have been reading it all day. Very interesting and a very nice review too. I have been looking at these types of amps on Ebay for some time now and after reading the review I now know what I want. I checked the Penguin website and it seems they won't be available until May. I do have a question tho. I have an ipod 120 with a pair of Sony V900HDs. I have a LOD for it but I haven't had a chance to utilize it yet. What should I expect as far as SQ improvement goes if I get one of the Penguin amps using the line out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back