Review: Panasonic RP-HT260
Dec 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

philipdavis3

New Head-Fier
After finally realizing and giving into the idea that I might just be an audiophile/musicphile, I found this forum, and have been browsing and plotting my purchases. Anyway, my budget is quite low, but for now it suites my tastes well enough. I have not really heard any high end components, and so my meager collection doesn't disappoint as much as it might others. I listen mostly to heavy metal, with some soft rock and electronic music thrown in for variety. My library is not very extensive, and is of random quality. I also know that I have a tiny bit of hearing loss, due to my appreciation of music being played at high volumes earlier in my life. The headphones were reviewed from my HP Pavilion DV6 with beats audio, but running linux, and my Zune HD.

So enough of the introductions/background, and on to the review:
The sound of these headphones inspired me when I bought my first pair, to really pay attention to the music. With much listening, I realized that it wasn't the music, but the headphones that needed help. They seem to have a \ shaped sound curve. Plenty of bass, but it all goes downhill. The treble is decent, but it has to be listened for. No sparkle because it falls off too much. The mids are recessed, but easy enough to be heard. I can't really describe the mids much better. And then there is the bass, lots of it, and can be had quite low too. Testing revealed that at regular listening levels 25hz is easily produced, and felt. At 100% volume on the laptop I could still feel the 20hz quite nicely. (Note, 100% volume during a song is almost painfully loud, and I don't feel comfortable listening more than a few seconds) After listening to a sine sweep though, the treble is very present with a few peaks, and a rounded peak for the midrange. The bass quiets out like it usually does, and then goes subsonic. Of course this is all before adding equalization to it, and sprucing it up. The laptop does a better job of pushing and equalizing the headphones. My Zune struggles to bring these up to a high volume, and has fewer eq options. After bringing up the treble a lot and the mids a bit, the sound becomes much more impressive. The highs really do sound great, and the mids are smooth enough for my inexperienced ear. The bass never seems out of control, but might be a little muddy when not enhanced by the mids.

The soundstage is something I am still trying to grasp, but I feel like these have the widest presentation that I have heard. Then again, I don't have very much music that is recorded to sound wide or have too much depth. On this note, I am at a loss, and will leave up for interpretation.

Design and comfort are the last on my list, but need to be addressed. These use an open/semi open design, and have mild bleed out and in. There is no ventilation for your ear though while they are enclosed, and it gets pretty toasty inside. The pads are comfy, but the headband has no padding, and can be painful if not adjusted properly.

Conclusion: The RP-HT260 Monitor Headphones present a good value for circumaural headphones at under $20, with good sound quality when using an eq, and good comfort.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Interesting review, I can't find these headphones anywhere in the states. Are they available elsewhere? They look like some semi-open version of the popular HTF600. For $20 someone should compare them to the Monoprice DJ's.

And welcome to head-fi! It's kinda refreshing to see a first post as a review, maybe I'm too used to seeing GIMME RECOMMENDATION NAO posts...
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 5
I can't seem to find them anywhere else either, I bought them on a military base. I have been browsing on here looking for decent headphones before. There are plenty of what should I buy threads that I just found what applies. I ended up buying some Soundmagic E-10's for my IEM's. The RP-HT260's were the first headphones I really noticed any different qualities to the sound and soundstage, and decided to post about it since there are not many other mentions of it. Soon I will be receiving a Fiio e07k, and will follow up the review with that, and also a comparison between the E-10's and the RP-HT260's.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 5
So, to follow up my initial review, I received my new Andes, and have put the 260's through their paces. I still enjoy these headphones. The soundstage is becoming more evident to me as I venture away from the typical audition pieces and into my other music. I can't envision it being exceptionally wide/deep, but it is impressive to me. The more I listen to music with actual spacing, the more I seem to be able to place the instruments. The sound is still lightly dark overall, but given power it is much more flat sounding to me. The treble now has a fair bit of sparkle and presence, but still not quite as nice as the E10's. There is a little amount of distortion in the highs, but I can't seem to pinpoint the source. I think it comes and goes, but its hard to tell with cymbals. The mids are quite nice, and bring a fullness that was lacking before the amp. The bass has lessened some, but only to be more tame/controlled. It may even be less bloated, and that is why it seems to be less. To compare to the E10's, the sound is slightly more dark than the E10's, but makes up for it with having a soundstage. The comfort really can't be compared, but who would have guessed that judging between a circumaural, and an IEM? All in all, these headphones are quite worth the money spent, and should be the start of my obsession/hobby that is audio.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 5
I just got a set of these for less than four dollars with a street vendor in Mexico City. I like them very much but they need more volume. I guess they have a high ohm rate. But they have all the good qualities mentioned above. I would also add that they are light and have nice, thick cables. They seem to have been repaired and need new pads, but I am really liking these. I had a chance to listen to the Focal Utopia and Elear for a review a while ago and I would never consider the Panasonics in their place, but they are good. I found them on Amazon retailing for 24 bucks, so I guess I made a killing. And I plan on visiting this particular street vendor who happens to know a lot about good cans. I know the original review was written a million years ago, but decided to add to it in case someone still has them in a box or drawer somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back