Review: Panasonic RP-HJE70
Jul 26, 2005 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Turbo7MN

Head-Fier
Well, it's been about a week and a half since I got these and I think it's about time to do a review.

Packaging: They come in a very sharp-looking black case, even the box they come in looks good. Flip open the front cover and you'll see everything packed in foam. I'm not sure how other higher-end canalphones are packaged but Panasonic really did a good job.

Accessories: Aside from the earphones themselves, you also get a one meter extension cord, three different sizes of tips, and a metal carrying case with "HJE70" stamped on the front. I found it strange that the extension cord that came with these is actually thinner than the one that came with my HJE50s. The case is foam insulated with hollow sections to stick the earphones and the plug, and a little mesh part to hold the cord. The extension cord and the extra sets of tips are inside the metal case when you first get them. I have found it somewhat inconvenient to get the cord into the mesh part due to the uneven cord length, and if you are using the extension cord I have found it's a lot easier to separate them first.

Appearance/Build Quality: I know everyone has seen the same two pictures of these over and over again, and they look just as good in person. They are in fact built out of metal (aluminum?) and they look to be a lot higher quality than any other earphones I have seen. The plug is also covered in metal instead of rubber. It matches my silver MZ-R900 very nice. The part where the left and right wires separate is made of very thick rubber. I mention this because that is the part that failed on my HJE50s.

Comfort: They are not quite as comfortable as my HJE50s, mostly due to the fact that they are larger, and heavier so they fall out a lot easier. It also might be a bit strange that they are cold when you first put them in your ears. I still like them a lot better than the conventional style of earbuds. Sometimes they caused the insides of my ears to itch a little, a very odd feeling, but it got better as I kept wearing them and I think it may have just been some sort of chemical on the tips. They have the "behind the neck" style cord, which takes some getting used to at first, but I actually prefer it now. It does put a lot of strain on the left side though, especially with the heavier cord and yoke. I think the HJE50s are better as far as comfort goes.

Sound: Yes, here's what you've all been waiting for. I apologize if I don’t do too good of a job explaining stuff here, I’m kind of new to headphone reviews. The sound quality is like nothing I have ever heard before, they are very detailed, but still smooth. You can focus on one instrument or singer and actually be able to pick out individual instruments, but it all still blends together flawlessly for normal listening. The high frequencies were a bit harsh when I first got them, but some burn-in took care of that. My HJE50s were the same way and it's really no big deal. They sound a lot better than the HJE50s though. I was expecting a decently good amount of detail, but I never expected what these can put out. If you get these, I strongly suggest not using any low-quality stuff because you can pick out every little imperfection. As far as having to mess with an equalizer/sound settings to get them to sound good. Well, you don't. Without any adjustment they provide a very good balance, I personally have the bass turned up a little bit because I like the way the bass sounds. With an equalizer, you can tweak them to sound any way you want. I was messing around with the sound settings on my R900 a little bit and I found it is possible for them to put out so much bass it is physically painful to listen to. I wouldn't suggest messing with sound settings too much. Some recordings will require different adjustments, for example I found that the drums were a bit too loud on the album "...And Justice for All" by Metallica so I had to turn down the treble a little. If I use them with my CMoy, it smooths them out enough that I don't need to make any adjustments. I listen to pretty much all rock, which they seem to be suited very well for, but I did listen to a techno album, "Legion of Boom" by The Crystal Method, and they are just as good, if not better, for stuff like that.

Misc. Features: I'm sure you all know that these have some funky hinge deal on them. I have found that it really doesn't serve any purpose, and I don't use it at all. I think that if you put them in your ears and then fold them in slightly, they may stay in your ears a little better, but I really don’t use it at all. Another thing that is worth mentioning is that in the pictures on the internet, they appear to be stuck together, back-to-back. Well, it's true. They have little rubber tabs on the backs of them and you can press them together and they will stay together. Very handy for not getting the cord tangled. When I had my HJE50s, I would leave them hanging around my neck during school when I wasn't using them, but due to the uneven weight distribution they would always get pulled down on the left side and sometimes fall off. With these, I can do that, but clip them together and wear it like a necklace so they don't slip off. I can't wait until school starts again to really try it out.

Overall: I love them, and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone looking for a good canalphone. I really hope that they start catching on. Now we really need someone to compare them to Shures/Etys. I will be taking a bunch of pictures of them later so if anyone has any requests, let me know.

-Darren

Aug 21, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 25
Thanks, Turbo, for the review. I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more.

- how microphonic is the cable/phone combo?
- if you have tried biking with them, how's the windnoise?
- how easy are they to insert?

- if you've tried the Sharp MD33s, how do these compare usability-wise?

Aug 29, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 25
Sorry it took so long to reply, I haven't been on for about a month. I never got pics either, sorry.

Anyway, the microphonics are noticeable, but it doesn't really bother me much. I haven't tried biking with them. I have never had any trouble inserting any canalphones, these are pretty much pop-in-and-go.

The only thing I can really compare them to is the HJE50, which they absolutely destroy in terms of sound quality, though they are a bit less comfortable. Hope this answers some questions!

-Darren

Aug 30, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 25
I can also put my seal of approval on these phones.

*) Build quality is top notch all the way.
*) I find the hinge a bit more usefull then the first reviewer. You do indeed insert them and then adjust the angle. Keeps them better in place, but not by a lot. As there is no direct accustic connection between the driver part and the stem I bet you could remove the stem all together and get the coolest little stealth in-ear. I would really like to try that with a spare pair
biggrin.gif

*) Hate the metal case. Fine for storage, useless for active use. Looks like a cigaret case too.
*) A bit harder to insert then the sony EX series, but again, not much harder.
*) Seals like the EX series. Blocks a bit of noise and keeps music in. Much less of a seal compared to shure/UE.
*) The "clicks together" rubber things works VERY well. Nice usefull feature. Wires stay untangled.
*) Used a few tries to find the perfect tip. You can use the EX series tips, but for some reason my perfect fit came with the medium panasonic tip. All ways used large EX tips until now. Maybe it's because they go a tiny bit deeper?!

Soundwise I would put them on par with (go on, flame me) the E4. A bit more grainy but these are not true canals, they are in-ear dynamic earbuds. A tad more low-end then the E4, but not boomie at all. Good mids and highs. And better ergonomics when you allow yourself to spend some time with them. Give them more then one try!
In short, a balanced phone and a serious contender in the 100 dollar range if you want isolation. The E888 is a better earbud over all, but after trying these I simply cannot use any open phone in high noise situations. Only my HJE70 or Super.fi 5pro.

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 25
They look cool!
f_panasonic_rphje70.jpg

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 25
Cord is thin. Feels rubbery, not plastic. Better quality then your average wire, but not shure quality. Probably wont split. And yes, they do look good!

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot
Soundwise I would put them on par with (go on, flame me) the E4.

Wow, I must be honest, I find this statement to be very surprising. I guess all our ears are different, but I don't find my RP-HJE70 to be anywhere near the level of the Shure E4c. What source/amp are you using them out of?

Best,

-Jason

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Wow, I must be honest, I find this statement to be very surprising. I guess all our ears are different, but I don't find my RP-HJE70 to be anywhere near the level of the Shure E4c. What source/amp are you using them out of?

Best,

-Jason

I got these phones for around 85 bucks! I think it's unfair to compare them with the E4c. But they are definitely better than the E2/E3 for the price.

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigneeker
connie: where did you get them for $85?

Here! This is an excellent web site. Great selection, lots of information about the products, easy to navigate site, great prices!

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 25
I just picked up a pair of these in Singapore duty free last night. The box is all Japanese so I didn't get much info there.

First impression, these are just what I've been looking for!

I've been running E4C's with my Nano and Shuffle and was constantly annoyed by the 2 metres of redundant cable hanging from my shirt pocket down to my knees and back up to my head. Winding up onto a block produced a third object equal in size to the player and was just a superflous nuisance.
So I'd spent the day poking around Singapore buying high end plugs, solder and iron and was heading home to do some drastic DIY on the Shures to shorten the cable to a sensible length when I saw the HJE-70's.

The cable may be bell-wire compared to the Shures the should is still up there in the same quality range. The one thing that really stnds out is the 'rock' effect. These really blast rock music. They may not be as subtle as the EC4's and lack mid range but they certainly are exciting.

They look like they are machined from a solid block of aluminuim but I rather suspect they are plastic as they are so light. They look stunning with my black iPod Nano.

Fit is always a personal thing but for me they had an excellent seal straight out of thr box with the mid sized buds. The E4C's were never so easy and could only get a seal with a modified tri-flange pushed so deep it felt like it was touching my brain. The HJE-70's hang gently in the ear not pushed at all and have nice isolation around the home. The acid test will be on the ferry to work tomorrow where they need to drown out the twin scania engines.

I wonder if your US versions will have the same chord length or whether it's a Japanese thing? but my cord is just long enough to reach my shirt top pocket (or lanyard) and allow head turning... perfect.

icon10.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 25
I'm pretty sure that they are all aluminum. The North American version also has a short cord, but there is an extension cord (and a very crappy one at that) included in the box. The wires inside the yoke ended up failing so I lost sound on the left side, the same thing that happened with my HJE50. Me and my dad rebuilt the cable on those, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal to fix these as well. I would reccomend putting some heat-shrink tubing or something around the yoke to take the stress off of it, just to make sure you don't have any problems like I did.

Also, I've found that with a little effort you can fit the tri-flanges from the Ety ER4 on them if you like that kind of feeling. Something to consider if you don't think they isolate enough already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back