Review: Panasonic RP-HEJ50
May 29, 2005 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Damage

100+ Head-Fier
Because no one asked for it, here's my thoughts/reviews on the Panasonics RP-HEJ50s.

If anyone is aware of my listen preferences, or have kept track of my posts here, the Orange Board (aka T-Board), and Minidisc.org's Forum, then you're probably aware that I'm usually the first to come whenever someone bashes the EX-71s. And those usually had good reason, since most of the negative opinions were usually initial quality (where EX71s are at their weakest). Out of curiosity, I picked up a pair of Panasonic RP-HEJ50 earbuds at a local Circuit City for $30. I had little to lose, since that Circuit City also had EX81s, which I had my eyes on for a while.

The King is dead.

Or at least, very mortally wounded. The Panasonic RP-HEJ50s is presented quite nicely from the start. In its nice clear plastic box, you can see the earbuds and nearly all of included accessories, which are:

Small, medium, large tips (1 set each size)
Extension Cord
Felt Bag with draw string

The entire driver housing is somewhat reminiscent of the the EX51 housing, except it's more squarish in shape rather than bulbish. In your hands, they feel quite solid and sturdy, maybe tad on the heavy side perhaps. Entire buds are white save for a little chrome trim. This includes the flanges as well, and this is one of its downfalls (more on this later). Finally, for remote users like myself, the cord setup is exactly like the EX71s, though the cord length between left and right bud is quite longer than the EX71s.

However, one of the biggest key difference between the EX71s and the HEJs are the diaphgrams used by each phones. Where as the EX71s use a thicker paper like material with a pinhole in the center, the HEJs use a very thin, translucent membrane. One can also assume that the drivers are most likely different between the two. So, given those two key differences, how do each stack up against one another?

Procedurals: MZ-RH10/NH1 -> RP-HEJ50s, accumlated about 20-30 hours of playback.

All things considered...

One could assume that they would sound fairly similar to the EX71s given all of the similarities. In fact, the tips/flanges are interchangable between the two, each has three holes on the outside of the buds, each has a little chrome accent, etc. And for the most part, they would, right?

Not necessairly. Let's assume for a moment that everything is equal between the two, and there was one thing that separated them, other than the sticker price. That one thing is the vocal representation, and it's very crucial here. The HEJs have a vocal that's much more forward, much more louder, and much better represented overall vs. the EX71s that makes the choice between the two almost a no-brainer. It's almost like listening to a karaoke version of a song vs. the same song with full vocals. Sure, it's nice to sing the song yourself. However, in the end the song sounds better with its original performers. Or it does, in my case.
biggrin.gif

However, not everything is equal, and HEJ does things better than EX71 does in other areas too. Would you like more impactful and visceral bass? You got that with the HEJs. Given a nice bass track, the HEJs' bass has that body shaking bass that is only equalled by the XD-400; a considerable feat considering that the latter is a full sized semi-open headphone with driver that's nearly 5x bigger then the HEJs. Trebles seemingly isn't this sets cup of tea, though all things considered, they are almost equal to EX71s (though it is noticably less sibilant from the get go). Even with some Equalization to boost the trebles, they don't seem quite... all there, I suppose. But in the overall scheme of things, this is something of a small quibble. The final SQ works in favor of the HEJ50s, in that it is well suited for portable listening (that it is bass and vocal friendly) and casual application.

Not to say that the HEJs are perfect. For one, these are much more microphonic than the EX series, almost to the level of Shure E3s (hmmm... things get decidedly interesting now, don't it?). The flanges are much thinner and flimsier than the EX tips. Thankfully, the two are interchangable, so you can use whatever floats your boat. Construction seems a bit shoddy, the left driver's diaphgram was loose when I purchased mine (and considering exchange, but I doubt it).

Back to the point about its microphonics and seal. I noted that these are very microphonic/stetheoscopic. Almost like Shure E3s. In fact, the seal on my left ear is very reminiscient of how Shure's feel in my ear, that there is a much stronger and better seal. But the right driver doesn't exihibit that effect at all. So, it's a question of construction now. And in this case, the Sony wins all over the Panasonics. There's no argument about it here, Sonys are constructed and balanced physically much better than the Panasonics. I'm willing to chalk this up to a statistics on this one however, you'll get a bum unit every now and then.

So, what does one get for $30? Overall, a very good set of entry canal phones. It's certainly better than its competitors in the similar price range, the Maxell's $15 special notwithstanding (wait for that one folks, I'll get around to it). In fact, it's enough to make me swear off the EX71s for a long long time.

Which is no small feat in and of itself.

Addendum: The first set has been exchanged for the second set. The good news is that the diaphgram on the left driver is sealed properly, and the worries of a small piece of paper residing in my ear canals is now gone. Unfortunately, the crappy QA team at Panasonic China strikes again! The right driver housing this time falls apart as so much as I look at it cockney-eyed. Not quite, but when I exchanged the tips several times, the housing separated by itself. Looks like I may need to apply some very small and controlled dabs of super glue. If you're harsh on your headphones, I will not recommend these at all, at least not until some of the kinks have been worked out.

The Good: Very balanced sound, including a forward and louder vocals and much more visceral bass.
The Bad: Trebles seems slightly off.
The Ugly: Quality Control, what Quality Control?!?

May 29, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 14
I pretty much agree with everything you've said about them. I was most appreciative of the build quality and cord length of the Sony's after trying the Panasonics. - the Sony cord even seemed short, with the extension! But thanks a lot for your thoughts.

May 29, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the impressions!
I've got a pair of HN060's on the way- very eager to hear them after your run-down. Nicely done.

May 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks a lot for the review, I need something cheap to go on holiday with tomorrow and I think I'll pick a pair of these up to replace my broken EX71s. How's the comfort vs the EX71, if you use the EX71 tips?

May 30, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 14
Comfort's the same, but the pair I have does exhibit some strange build quality... That is the left driver seals in more tighter than the right, even with the large EX71 tips. However, if you've used EX71s before, then you're going to have no problem with the comfort of these, they're roughly the same (considering the tips are essentially the same outside of the color).

I think I have to put myself in the same boat as Duncan in that the EX71s are beginning to lose a bit of their luster. Given the choice, I'm willing to recommend the HEJs over the EXs, unless the build quality is crap down the entire line. I'm hoping that mine was a rare instance of QA gone wrong.

May 30, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Thanks a lot for the review, I need something cheap to go on holiday with tomorrow and I think I'll pick a pair of these up to replace my broken EX71s. How's the comfort vs the EX71, if you use the EX71 tips?

Save those tips!

May 30, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 14
At this point, I'm not going to recommend these phones over EX71s for anyone whose harsh on their phones for this reason:

Shoddy Construction. I'm on my second set, and this has its own issues as well. Read the original review for more information. Considering how people were going through EX71s as if Wimpy went through Hamburgers on Wednesday (he'll pay you Tuesday), I wonder how many here will complain of the fragile HEJs? To quote myself, no amount of SQ compensates for crappy construction.

May 30, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
Not necessairly. Let's assume for a moment that everything is equal between the two, and there was one thing that separated them, other than the sticker price. That one thing is the vocal representation, and it's very crucial here. The HEJs have a vocal that's much more forward, much more louder, and much better represented overall vs. the EX71s that makes the choice between the two almost a no-brainer. It's almost like listening to a karaoke version of a song vs. the same song with full vocals. Sure, it's nice to sing the song yourself. However, in the end the song sounds better with its original performers. Or it does, in my case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
Thanks for the impressions!
I've got a pair of HN060's on the way- very eager to hear them after your run-down. Nicely done.

Vocals are absolutely great on the HN060, heck, the whole frequency range is (at least when listening to the iPod with a correct fit - which takes a little practice for the first few times of use)

I would be interested in at some point (which is why I've copied in JB's post) a comparison of HJE50 & HN060 - to see which is king of the midrange
biggrin.gif

Great, honest post also Damage... too often we can, when we buy new toys, get sucked in with new-toy hype... and you, with your post have been very impartial
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 14
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I found the HN060's initial impressions are overly underwhelming, with NC on or off. I'm wondering if the wimpy Sony Portables has to do with this somewhat. On the other hand, its double flanges are certainly compatible with the EX and HEJ series with a bit of stretching, so I intend to give those a try with respective sets and see how they sound.

Dunno, outside of one or two set of cans, I never liked any Philips products...

I'm betting that I'm not getting the proper seal with the HNs at the moment, though one would think the double flanges would help with the matter more.

(I just got the HNs today at the same price as the HEJs. Considering what it is, it might be useful after all. I'm hoping that I grow to like these guys, or at least the double flange tips.)

If I had to recommend a set of these semi-canalphones, here's my order:

1. EX81/71, though not on SQ, but everything else.
2. HEJ50s on their SQ, but I'm not so hot on their build quality.
3. HN060.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Great, honest post also Damage... too often we can, when we buy new toys, get sucked in with new-toy hype... and you, with your post have been very impartial

Agreed, I think I fell to this a bit with the XDs. I don't use the XDs much ATM (packing up for a move), but I still stick by my story that XD-400s are probably one of the best sub-$100 phones that's not obscure in any sort of manner. Likewise with the HEJs, they are worthy successors to the EX line, if they were built more solidly.

But as is, I can't recommend these to most, especially after all the posts I've seen complaining about EX's build quality. I've had three, and none of them died in the last two to three years that I've had them. So I'd hate to imagine all the "HEJs fell apart" posts.

May 30, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 14
Damage...

What is the specific sonic problem you get with the HNs?

If you wish to take it in to PM to avoid cluttering your Pana thread, thats fine with me... Its just that I'm curious as to how I can have such a totally different standpoint to yourself.

[Edit]

Damage... You added this in after my post: Quote:

(I just got the HNs today at the same price as the HEJs. Considering what it is, it might be useful after all. I'm hoping that I grow to like these guys, or at least the double flange tips.)

I certainly advise to give them a little time, the first few times I used them, I was also a little apprehensive, they sounded as thin as anything (going in blind here, presuming that this is the problem that you have) - no mids, excess treble, and a crunchy sounding bass... it is all to do with the flanged tips - if your problem is remotely similar to mine... thats why i've said all along that the fit is imperative with these things... I guess its a little like getting the Etymotic seal (from days gone by) - for the first few days I just couldn't get it and then it just snapped in to focus, and there I was - in musical bliss...

Does that sound like a run-down of your problem?

May 30, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Damage... You added this in after my post:I certainly advise to give them a little time, the first few times I used them, I was also a little apprehensive, they sounded as thin as anything (going in blind here, presuming that this is the problem that you have) - no mids, excess treble, and a crunchy sounding bass... it is all to do with the flanged tips - if your problem is remotely similar to mine... thats why i've said all along that the fit is imperative with these things... I guess its a little like getting the Etymotic seal (from days gone by) - for the first few days I just couldn't get it and then it just snapped in to focus, and there I was - in musical bliss...

Does that sound like a run-down of your problem?

That's exactly the same thing I'm experiencing, plus a significant lack of volume with most of my sources (albeit, they are Sony's after all). The mids are certainly more pronounced on the HN060s as well, but everything sounds pretty thin and weak. Not even the crunchy bass, there's really no bass on these right now...

Quite strange, since I can get decent fit with small/medium flex and ultra-flex Shures, and some random tri-tip flanges I modded for the E3s as well. The Seal works fine for the HEJ50s with the HN060 tips too...

Strange indeed.

May 30, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Damage,

There is quite a lot of re-adjustment required with these...

With the EX71 / 81 you just pop them in and go... with the Philips, you have to push them in to your ear... to give you a guide, looking at my ears with the Philips in, I can only see the outer silver ring, none of the black plastic.

...Is that the same for you too?

May 30, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Comfort's the same, but the pair I have does exhibit some strange build quality... That is the left driver seals in more tighter than the right, even with the large EX71 tips. However, if you've used EX71s before, then you're going to have no problem with the comfort of these, they're roughly the same (considering the tips are essentially the same outside of the color).

I think I have to put myself in the same boat as Duncan in that the EX71s are beginning to lose a bit of their luster. Given the choice, I'm willing to recommend the HEJs over the EXs, unless the build quality is crap down the entire line. I'm hoping that mine was a rare instance of QA gone wrong.

I notice that too... at first i thought the size of my ears are uneven...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back