REVIEW: Ostry KC06
May 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,981 of 2,536
While I'm skeptical of unit variance, it's strange that Shotgunshane and mochill found the Tenore to simply be on another level. Or perhaps it's the magic of different taste...

Of course I prefer the Tenore but I prefer it because it performs better from a frequency response perspective. I've found the closer the iem is to a flatter FR, and all other things being equal, I'm going to prefer the flatter FR. The only exception would be peaky treble. If something is flatter but doesn't have a smooth treble response, I'm out. I've become increasing more particular about peaky treble, and while I like many things about the Ostry , I really don't care for its treble.

May 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,982 of 2,536
Curious, is it because you think it's peaky or because it's not enough?

I'm not satisfied with KC06's treble too but it's because I think it's a tad too polite, how is Tenore in this area?

May 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,983 of 2,536
Curious, is it because you think it's peaky or because it's not enough?

I'm not satisfied with KC06's treble too but it's because I think it's a tad too polite, how is Tenore in this area?

No I think it has enough treble presence but it's a bit peaky in places and not fleshed out enough. It has a very slight metallic tinge as well. It just becomes something I focus on and can't ignore.

The eq Joe Bloggs posted a while back really works well on the KC06. I had to tweak it a bit for my canals but it's pretty spot on and fixes most of my treble issues. Apparently getting flat FR without annoying peaks in treble is pretty hard to do. The MH1 and Tenore are a couple of the very few that accomplish that and have great extension. Even most TOTL's fail here for me. The JH13 is one if my favorites and the treble killed it for me (it's treble issues are inherent in the twfk driver design and near impossible to completely flatten).

May 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,984 of 2,536
I think Sidy DM2's treble will kill your ears then lol, KC06 is very very polite compared to this wild horse. Maybe KC06A will be actually more to your liking then? Haven't heard it yet but it should be smoother...

May 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,985 of 2,536
Sounds like the KC06A probably has more bass than I'd want but I'm sufficiently impressed with the Ostry and look forward to some of the other variants that are supposedly in the pipeline.

What about the other Sidy? Can't remember the model number but it's a 6mm micro driver.

May 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,987 of 2,536
While I'm skeptical of unit variance, it's strange that Shotgunshane and mochill found the Tenore to simply be on another level. Or perhaps it's the magic of different taste...

And DannyBai and UnityIsPower.  I'm still waiting for my KC06 to arrive, so we'll see where I fall.

May 21, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,989 of 2,536
The kc06A had better extension and more treble extension as well, but for me I didn't like it , the tenore are perfect for me.

Less than a week ago...
So I just got ostries new creation call the kc06A, the cooler looking very as stated by the website . The the sound is more tuned to be natural and organic and more open...an oh boy does it sound oh so delicious .
the most improvements is the bass which the first variant has some very tight speedy bass response and really nice textures to them, second improvements is the midrange being slightly a bit more full then the sibling which in turn make this on of the best vocals in an iem so far( I love a great midrange ), the treble remains the same. Beautiful sparkly fast making the whole sound complete and excellent .
when more people come to realize the you don't honestly need to spend over a $100+ to get top tier sound and I'm so pissed off  because two days earlier I got the dunu dn2k( best midreange) and the ocharaku flat (best treble imho) and the funniest part is the this iem cost me $65 , same a the kc06 gold but the sound is the combination of both the dunu and ocharaku flat in one creating a iem the will blow the audio industry and cause a revolution soon enough. So will its brother the kc06 gold ...im a really pissed customer,, but a happy person as well that I have discovered a gem that really show where all the money goes to  tuning and build , not some schiitty advertising cough cough *** (beats by schiit) instead this little company brought us a game changer which will be in the hall of fame soon enough and me as a consumer and an audiophile will definitely support the till the end and will buy whatever the releases in the future .

confused_face_2.gif
.    The result of perspective I suppose. 

May 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,990 of 2,536
No I think it has enough treble presence but it's a bit peaky in places and not fleshed out enough. It has a very slight metallic tinge as well. It just becomes something I focus on and can't ignore.

How about the bass?  Which one has more sub-bass?

May 22, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,992 of 2,536
KC06 has more overall bass quantity/presence but Tenore has more sub bass- it's bass is also faster and harder edged/ more defined. The KC06 bass is a bit too soft and a little hazy at times but just seems to fit well with its vocal oriented focus.
that's the one thing that I thought was lacking from the kc06, the texture of the bass. There is alot of bass there but the way it sounds at times, it's as if the iem isn't sure how it wants to reproduce the bass and ends up making a random sound instead lol

Still unsure how people said they lacked bass, it's got more than enough for anyone not a basshead and for the most part it's really good it's only the sub bass that I find lacking.

May 22, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #1,993 of 2,536
that's the one thing that I thought was lacking from the kc06, the texture of the bass. There is alot of bass there but the way it sounds at times, it's as if the iem isn't sure how it wants to reproduce the bass and ends up making a random sound instead lol

Still unsure how people said they lacked bass, it's got more than enough for anyone not a basshead and for the most part it's really good it's only the sub bass that I find lacking.

i agree, they have plenty of bass when called for. But, they have clean bass. It does not get in the way similar to the dn1000, but with less bass overall. the dn1k may satisfy a basshead, but the kc06 less so.

May 22, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #1,994 of 2,536
Can someone give an example of a song where the treble is peaky?  For me I had an issue on my S680 of a certain tambourine in the acoustic version of "Best Time Of My Life" by American Authors.  Around the second verse a tambourine kicks in and it was hurting my ears a bit.  I found this evened out with the KC06.  But maybe you guys are talking about something else.  

May 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #1,995 of 2,536
Price drop to $59.99 on Amazon from Shenzhenaudio

http://www.amazon.com/OSTRY-KC06-Fidelity-Inner-Ear-Earphones/dp/B00J86LDNU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back