REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Apr 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #1,291 of 2,536
  The main thing is: no matter what you think of KC06 doesn't put you on any side of a fence to me, whether you love/hate/undecided I would not judge anyone differently because I know how wildly impressions and preferences vary. Anyone who took one impression as a final word would be rather premature. The truth of a product comes from repetition and only due time will answer. If you read the same thing many times there's a good chance it's true (but never 100%)

+1 ,this is a good post!

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,292 of 2,536
I'm not expecting my KC06 to arrive any time soon.. I ordered them last week and I expect them to arrive some time in mid-May if I'm lucky.  But I received some rather disappointing news today.  I ordered the Heir tips from Lunashops on the same day -- April 17th, got confirmation from Paypal and everything, but today -- April 25, I received an email saying that they have shipped my item.  Really?  They ship it 8 days after ordering??  I'll be lucky if the tips arrive before July (estimate said 20-45 days)! 

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,294 of 2,536
Hey, it's all just part of (with apologies to Newton) Olson's three laws of Headfi thread motion:

1) Every thread in a state of uniform review motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it (usually from some other thread where some other product is being hyped).

2) The relationship between a threads mass (total posts), its acceleration (frequency of posts), and the applied hype H is H = ma.

3) For every hype, there is an equal and opposite anti-hype.

Just thought we should bring some scientific foundation to the discussion...

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,295 of 2,536
After reading the last few pages of this thread, my advice is to take every impression with a grain of salt.  I've actually started creating a matrix (in my mind) of who to listen to and who not to listen to -- this is not out of disrespect -- but simply because I do find it helpful to know who has similar music tastes and sound signature preferences.  I'm no expert audiophile -- I'm far from it and there are plenty of brighter minds out here offering their free reviews on products that I may or may not purchase.  

I hope this lightens the mood a bit.  And also:
http://thedoghousediaries.com/5740

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #1,296 of 2,536
Don't worry, they already sound pretty good with stock tips. However seeing your past phones I'm not sure if you will like KC06 sound sig.

Based on what I've read, I consider KC06 another step in the evolution of my growth as a listener of the musics.  When I joined head-fi I considered myself a basshead, but as I've acquired more phones I've begun to shift away from that bass preference and become more of a clarity-centric basshead.  I recently put on my Pistons for the first time after extensive use of S680s, and to be honest I couldn't stand them.  The bass was still booming but everything else sounded terrible to me.  So we'll see how it goes.. I'm willing to sacrifice bass for clarity. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,297 of 2,536
  I actually love the GR07BE from memory... thinking of repurchasing these.
Ostrys don't blow them away as I stated before, but they do somethings better like smoother, less peaky treble but still retaining all of the energy. I think the bass was better on the GR07BE iirc
Wish I could give the Dunus a shot though

I never had any trouble with the GR07 (ver. 1 and MKII).  I love the highs on both the KC06 and the GR07.

The KC06 has a wider sound stage than the GR07 MKII.  They are also way more comfortable.  The GR07 are a PITA to get a good fit -- you always have to fidget with them to get a proper seal.  The sub-bass is better on the GR07 MKII, but some people might prefer the mid bass of the KC06. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,298 of 2,536
Because of the recent discussion, I grabbed my GR07 BE and listen again to my favorite tracks but I ended up reaching to my Ostrys. To my ears , they outperform the BEs in most departments. Of course, this not make the BEs a bad IEM, I still believe they are good but the Ostrys are better.The GR07s have been my on the go IEM and my companion since 2012. I had 2 pairs of the first version and my current pair a Bass Edition. I am happy because I found a new love but at the same time sad because the Ostrys made me fall out of love with the BEs. Is this goodbye? I dont think so, Im still hoping that I will fall in love again with them but for the meantime I'll keep them in an airtight case so they wont collect dust when I put them in my drawer.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,299 of 2,536
^
Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
-Hamlet, Act V

Based on what I've read, I consider KC06 another step in the evolution of my growth as a listener of the musics.  When I joined head-fi I considered myself a basshead, but as I've acquired more phones I've begun to shift away from that bass preference and become more of a clarity-centric basshead.  I recently put on my Pistons for the first time after extensive use of S680s, and to be honest I couldn't stand them.  The bass was still booming but everything else sounded terrible to me.  So we'll see how it goes.. I'm willing to sacrifice bass for clarity. 

You should be fine then, if you don't a few days of brain burn-in could work wonder. :D

OT, how is S680 compared to S400? I had S400 for a few week but can't really stand its closed in sound (improved with bigger pad but still awful), I remember being impressed with its bass for the price though.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,300 of 2,536
Thanks for the honest review sfwalcer in spite of all the hype by many. I respect your honesty.

Yes all other people who are liking the thing can't possibly genuinely like it and all just hyping it just because lol. :rolleyes:

Winning!

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #1,302 of 2,536
Dont forget to put a small silica gel bag inside that beautiful case
wink.gif

oh yes, thanks for the reminder, bro.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,303 of 2,536
Out of all the 3 hyped trains I have hoped on so far, I've been quite happy with 2 out 3 of them. The Martin Logan and Ostry both sounds great for their price range. Can't really complain about them since they both only cost less than 80 bucks lol :)

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,304 of 2,536
You should be fine then, if you don't a few days of brain burn-in could work wonder.
biggrin.gif

OT, how is S680 compared to S400? I had S400 for a few week but can't really stand its closed in sound (improved with bigger pad but still awful), I remember being impressed with its bass for the price though.

Thanks, I'm definitely looking forward to KC06, as well as more impressions from various people here. 

I also changed the pads for my S400 but since getting S680 I have not touched the S400.  S680 is much more detailed and despite being a closed can, it has a HUGE soundstage compared to S400.  Huge.  I think S680 bass is very good and has better depth, although perhaps lacks punch that S400 provides.  I feel that S680 is just a better all-round phone by quite a margin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back