[Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head
May 1, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #91 of 166

It was never intended as criticism of you or any other beta tester so there's no reason to be offended.

It's Oppo's trade off: popularity for credibility. They can't have it both ways.

You aren't that familiar with what Oppo Digital very much are you.
etysmile.gif

There is no trade off with them, both against credibility and popularity.    Maybe your not much into home theater or analog high fidelity, but that where they grew from.  Research them a bit, tell me what you think.

May 1, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #93 of 166
etysmile.gif

There is no trade off with them, both against credibility and popularity.    Maybe your not much into home theater or analog high fidelity, but that where they grew from.  Research them a bit, tell me what you think.

Oppo is owned by Tony Chen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppo_Electronics

Which happens to be very profitable in China.

http://en.oppo.com/press/press-releases/oppo-second-most-profitable-mobile-phone-company-in-china/

May 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #94 of 166

Why don't have that as your signature at least? It makes more sense.

It is still a royal "we", so my statements are still my personal views. But I will seriously  take your suggestion into consideration for any future revisions to my Signature.

May 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #96 of 166

You're wrong. I've used 2 other headphones over $500 firstly. Secondly the PM-1 are not dark, you don't need to listen to every TOTL headphone to know that they are not dark at all. Thirdly you're wrong again. Many people with HD800, T1, HE500, LCD2, LCDx and LCD3 have shared comparisons. If you're not finding them then you aren't looking. 

There's really a lot wrong with your post and you should have at least checked one of the two hugely popular PM-1 threads before commenting. 

Your comments suggest otherwise, but since it is clear I made you rather angry, I will stop fuel the fire further.

May 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #97 of 166
etysmile.gif

They make very good blu-ray players--I almost bought one instead of my Marantz CDP.

They also make this. Looks like the HTC ONE.

May 1, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #98 of 166
Although I own ~$2500 worth of audio equipment, I don't classify myself as a serious audiophile and I don't necessarily think that this review was intended for that audience.  I know that the headphone subreddit on reddit is very supportive of your reviews and impressions, and they are much more of your "casual" audiophiles.  With that said, I thought your review was very fun, engaging, and informative to read.  

I had a buyer's remorse right after purchasing a new pair of LCD-2s because I assumed that the Oppo PM-1's had a lot of specs that was appealing to me, but most of it is gone for me after reading this review.  There is a 1000+ page appreciation thread on HD800s, 200 one for the LCD-2s, and so on forth.  I can accept the fact that there can be multiple headphones that sound amazing and that one doesn't have to necessarily sound "better" than other.  

I don't understand those who are criticizing your review simply because you don't own other TOTL headphones.  I actually think it's more informative to get reviews from different kinds of reviewers. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that you weren't floored by the PM-1's, because listening to Audeze headphones for the first time was like an audio revelation for me.

May 1, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #99 of 166
This is a very good review imo.
@keanex does a very good and honest job.
The problem is, 90% of all the other PM-1 impressions in the "impressions thread" are so overwhelmingly positive that they lose credibility (in my eyes) and when the remaining 10% dares to doubt them or think otherwise, they go bananas.

That's just not how it should be imo. True, there are a lot of negative posters in there too but rather than going crazy, they should just accept that perhaps others don't share their sentiment to the tee.

May 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #100 of 166

I am going to be quick and honest about this: We are not exercising ignorance or stupidity. We are a small company that has not been pigeonholed into a specific category/class, so we are not limited to a specific subset of customers. The PM-1 can be appreciated by someone who frequents Forbes just as much as the diehards of Inner Fidelity. This is why you are seeing the PM-1 being reviewed by an incredibly wide array of reviewers.

Yep, I expect and appreciate that fact.  My point was meant to amplify it. OPPO marketing is doing what they have been doing all along; focusing promotional efforts on a much larger base of customers than the just headphone community.  And they seemed to do that well, thus I'm hearing echo backs from various media sources who normally I don't hear talking about headphones.

This is OPPO's first flagship grade headphone and thus its first marketing push into the headphone community. I would expect there to be a learning curve about how to market to that community, I think OPPO is still on that curve, and I think that is the source of a little bit of friction here at the moment.

Again, l congratulate OPPO for making the effort and being so involved with the hobby so far and making the effort here.  Lots of other vendors in the larger market would not have bothered.

May 1, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #101 of 166

I for one give Oppo a lot of credit for producing a fantastic product!  I am very happy with the PM-1, and I am glad I made the purchase!

May 1, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #102 of 166
  Although I own ~$2500 worth of audio equipment, I don't classify myself as a serious audiophile and I don't necessarily think that this review was intended for that audience.  I know that the headphone subreddit on reddit is very supportive of your reviews and impressions, and they are much more of your "casual" audiophiles.  With that said, I thought your review was very fun, engaging, and informative to read.  

I had a buyer's remorse right after purchasing a new pair of LCD-2s because I assumed that the Oppo PM-1's had a lot of specs that was appealing to me, but most of it is gone for me after reading this review.  There is a 1000+ page appreciation thread on HD800s, 200 one for the LCD-2s, and so on forth.  I can accept the fact that there can be multiple headphones that sound amazing and that one doesn't have to necessarily sound "better" than other.  

I don't understand those who are criticizing your review simply because you don't own other TOTL headphones.  I actually think it's more informative to get reviews from different kinds of reviewers. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that you weren't floored by the PM-1's, because listening to Audeze headphones for the first time was like an audio revelation for me.

Thanks for your kind words to you and conquerator2 about my review.

As for your purchase, I've not heard the LCD2 but I don't think that anyone should regret purchasing them or the HD800 or whatever the choose. I'm sure they are absolutely phenomenal headphones in their own regards. Too many people get wrapped up in the opinions of others and get "grass is greener" syndrome. It happens in the beer world with rare beer releases also. Just enjoy what you've got! Remember we are all here because of a passion for music first, let's not forget that.

May 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #104 of 166
I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with a production PM-1 and an LCD-2.  My key interest was whether or not the PM-1s are "LCD-2 killers" or not.  IMHO, no.  On Steve Wonder's "That Girl," when SW comes in with his harmonica solo, the effect on the LCD-2 is startling realism; SW is in your head!  That passage sounds great on the PM-1s, but not startling.  The LCD-2s reveal a level of detail and dynamics that the PM-1s just don't.  This different was consistent over everything I listened to.  Not that the PM-1s don't sound great as reviewed above.  They do.  But if your primary concern is audio realism, the LCD-2 wins.

They may be LCD-1 killers, however.  Unfortunately, I didn't have LCD-1s at my disposal.  But have compared the LCD-1s against the LCD-2s in the past.  I think the gap between them is comparable.  As a PORTABLE headphone, PM-1 smokes either Audeze.  First the Oppo is gorgeous, something I never thought I'd say about a headphone.  It's a sculpture.  Certainly, they're bigger than Beats.  But you (not me) could look cool walking down the street wearing them.  Even Dr. Dre couldn't look cool wearing Audeze.  And I found the PM-1 exceptionally comfortable.  I could wear them all day.  For a first effort from Oppo, this is a remarkable product.  But portability isn't important to me.  The LCD-2/X remain at the top of my wish list, at least until the second generation from Oppo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back