[Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head
Apr 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 166
they look nice, but yeah i don't think they will compare with Audeze or even HiFiman, though im sure they are worth a listen.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 166
  they look nice, but yeah i don't think they will compare with Audeze or even HiFiman, though im sure they are worth a listen.

Please keep assumptions based on others views from this thread. There are already two threads with a bunch of unnecessary speculation. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 166
They definitely not worth getting for the asking price, you would rather buy used HD800 instead

Compare to what ?  To me and for my tastes they sound as good as the LCD-X... 

They don't refined details and sparkle HD800 have. Yes might be worth getting instead of pain on your head LCD-2/3/X but not worth getting instead HD800

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #24 of 166
They definitely not worth getting for the asking price, you would rather buy used HD800 instead

I think we get you prefer the HD800's you own, but its almost like you are over defending the HD800's now that the PM-1's are shipping IMHO.  Worried? 
etysmile.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #26 of 166
  Keanex, good work on the timely review, and congratulations on making the front page!

Thanks! I spent a lot of time with the PM-1 during beta and felt that any burn-in I would experience would be pad based and I don't feel that it's necessary to wait to review a headphone due to that kind of break in. The sound of the beta to retail is more refined and a bit brighter, from memory, but I never once noticed driver burn-in, which is why I had the review out so quickly. 

Cheers!

Edit: That seems out of the blue, but I know some people feel a bit weird against those who churn out quick reviews. Believe me, most of my reviews take 1-2 months of listening before they are ready!

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #27 of 166

I think we get you prefer the HD800's you own, but its almost like you are over defending the HD800's now that the PM-1's are shipping IMHO.  Worried? 
etysmile.gif

No i don't. I'm just saying that they have nothing to add to what HD800 have but missing things HD800 have so not worth their asking price. They worth 700 max

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 166
I'm not saying they were bad, I just thought they were overpriced. They sounded fine to me, but as Oleg said, they didn't really seam special or anything, which for $1000 I think they should.

But if you like em, that's good, I'm not here to tell you what sounds good for you, I'm just saying what sounds good to me :)

Nice review BTW, very detailed and informative, well done. Good format too, easy to read.

I think if they dropped the price to $700 maybe it could gain some more favor and steal some HE500 sales, since people would be curious. But I don't think its really going to be able to sell effectively at >$500

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #29 of 166
Thanks for confirming the PM-1 as a spoiler in my search for a medium-impedance headphone for my Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded.  The XONAR® Essence™ series' Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2 is good with resistive loads down to 16 Ω, and the PM-1 is apparently a 32 Ω resistive load with consistent phase.
smily_headphones1.gif
I originally wanted something in the vicinity of 120 Ω (per IEC 61938-1996) as a hedge against any reactance in the 'phones; but 32Ω orthodynamics with minimal reactance might very well do.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #30 of 166
Maybe it is only me, but I do have a little bit issues about this review.

When your reference is AD2000 and Grado, words like "warm", "air" and "forward mid" means very little to me since none of these phones are "neutral" in the first place.
For example, I find everything I have heard (apart from beyer's custom pro one) has a "forward mid" compare to Grado. (Just personal opinion) .

As for sound stage, many phones have "wider" or "Air" sounds because some tuning with added "WOW" effect. That does not mean they are accurate and detailed. I still find HD800 having less "space" than the T1, manage to provide a better sound stage.

In addition, I really do not  think that the only thing a planar can do is to provide more sub bass to a hip-hop song. I do think you need to elaborate more about the bass. Detail level, control as well as how deep does it go. (maybe throw more sound choices? I think all songs have bass, you should review it against different Genre)
(You are reviewing a $1000+ headphone, not beats........ So, I was hoping more comparison from the same pool: LCD2, HE6, W5000,AD7000,etc)

P.S.

apart from all above, I think it is a grate reviews. Very nice photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back