Review/Opinions on Studio Monitors (ADAM, Event, Mackie, Genelecs, Dynaudio)
Jul 9, 2010 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

reginaldnugroho

Head-Fier
Fellow Head-Fi'ers...

I am looking to get some monitors that'll mainly be use for electronic music (progressive, house, trance etc...)

But I cant deny that I will be using them to listent to some rock, jazz and a little touch of "hypnotize" by Biggie...And maybe... when I do move out to my new place (God willing)... this monitors will probably be use for movies as well... as most certainly my studio will be my little home theater as well...

BUT... Of course my main purpose for these monitors are of course for the electronic music...

Now I am baffling between these monitors below:
- Adam A5/A7
- Event Opal/Alp5 (actually looking for the 20/20, but the event dealer in here don't have these)
- Mackie HR8/6
- Genelec.
- Dynaudio

If you have suggestions on other models/types please advise me... but as for other brands I prefer not, as these are the brands that has a dealer in my country...

I am hoping that some one here has try this and has some experience on them... Please do advise me on your  opinions, expression or review on them... This thread is not about comparison on each monitors... But more on your take on each of them...

Hopefully people here can shed some light for me...
Thanks before....
Cheers...

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 22
I heard that KRK are favorites for electro and rock try the VXT 6 or 8 depend of your room and listening distance.

Mine sound pretty good with these genres.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 22
For electronic music, pass on the Adams, they won't give you enough bass. I'm not too fond of KRK since they can sound quite boomy with mid bass bloat.

Check out the dynaudio bm6a

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 22
Just a heads up on the Event 20/20. The amplifiers in them get so hot that you could burn yourself on them. The Event TR8 doesn't have that problem and has better sounding mids and highs.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 22
I investigated all the monitors you mention and A/B-ed everything Guitar Center had during my previous sound gear upgrade about 3 years ago. Mackie 824 Mk II were the best in the Guitar Center. However, Adam A7 was better yet. Guitar center didn't have them back then but I believe they do have them now. A5 used same or very similar tweeter but had issues with its embedded amps back then, so I ended up buying a bunch of A7s.

Adam came up with AX series, which are reportedly better than A7s in the areas of high frequency response and phase accuracy (upper range limit moved from 35KHz to 50 KHz). The slight sibilance/hissing/chuffing at loudness close to the max is supposedly fixed too (never bothered me though as I never play them that loud). As a result, prices on new A7 went down quite a bit and there are plenty of used ones sold on eBay these days - still a great monitor if you have budgetary constraints.

I recommend using them with a good subwoofer crossed and fused (matched in level and phase) at 80 Hz. I personally find Velodyne 18" servos the best, as they can go flat down to 20 Hz with very low distortion even at extreme volumes and thus complement the A7s well. Yet any decent subwoofer is better than no subwoofer with A7s. You really wouldn't want to take them below 60 Hz.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 22
Forgot to mention - I didn't research in depth Genelecs mostly because I couldn't find an inexpensive source of them. Some professionals prefer them to Adams. And then there are of course even more expensive, and reportedly even better, Klein + Hummel monitors.

I wanted a surround system and ended up buying two sets of 5 A7s. One set  new, and one used about a year later from a pro gear rental house that sold gear used at Beijing Olympics. One of the latter was shot (wouldn't perfectly balance frequency-wise with the others) and I returned it - something to be aware of - studio use can apparently be brutal. I keep one monitor for replacements (or maybe just too lazy to sell :) and use 8 of them in my current 7.1 system - I had to create a virtual center channel out of 2 A7s due to placement constraints.  

So, in a recent history A7s have been indeed used as reference monitors by major broadcast studios, and it shows - cable and Blu-ray surround mixes sound great on them.  Watching and listening to Beijing Olympics in 5.1 on the first set was a real treat - the presence effect, especially at the water sports stadium, was unbelievably convincing, despite compressed sound streams.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 22
I really like my A5's in my smallish AV system. The sound is well balanced, but a sub is mandatory if you hope for any realistic output (at decent levels) below about 60Hz. I wouldn't call its bass light as much as tuneful.  

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Going to need to know your budget.

Jenneth...

my budget will probably around $600-900... but maybe putting a price will be a bit bias as I will be buying them locally here in Indonesia (Importing cost too much for shipping), that's why I put a list up there because I know most of the price tag of those monitors or at least I can ask the suppliers...

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
I heard that KRK are favorites for electro and rock try the VXT 6 or 8 depend of your room and listening distance.

Mine sound pretty good with these genres.

Omega... thanks for the krk input, yes I have had few session with krk, theyre quite good and most common monitors beside the yamaha... but as with noinimod I just find them not to my liking...

Noinimod... Will ask around the indo dynaudio supplier... thanks...

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Just a heads up on the Event 20/20. The amplifiers in them get so hot that you could burn yourself on them. The Event TR8 doesn't have that problem and has better sounding mids and highs.

TR8? havent heard that model... I'll check if the supplier have that model... I know for sure that they have the ALP5 and the Opal... Thanks for the input...

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 22

Topquark, Seraphim & Krav... Thank you very much the Adam input guys... actually Adam were always my personal favorite, really really glad to get this information... Guess this means I have to add another sub in my budget, if I want it to be correct...

And thanks for the note on selecting the subwoofer Krav... that'll come in handy for sure...

in regards to the Mackie MK what do you think about them..?
I was thinking about the HR but I was quite surprise that they sell them per piece not pair and the price for them (in my opinion) are not quite reasonable (might be the Indonesian supplier)...

Cheers all...

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 22
Adam A7
-Nice clean detailed on the top end, very clear on the mids. The bottom-end, however, might not be enough for certain type of music.

Event Opal
-These are quite nice; clean highs, good bottom-end, but the mids is just a little too recessive for my taste. But at $3000 a pair, I'd rather add $1200 to my budget and get a pair of K+H O 300 instead.

Mackie HR824
-Had a bit of experience with the HR824 (non-MKii version), they have a lot of bass (a bit too overwhelming imo) but their price is quite competitive.

Genelec
-Unless you're willing to go with a pair of 8020B, they might be a bit out of your price range. I've no experience with the 8030A, so I can't comment on them. As for the 8020B, they are great for their size; but you really need a sub for them (I'm using a pair of 8040A atm).

Dynaudio
-Heard the BM6 before, I thought those are fairly good, almost went for them, but got the 8040A instead.

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Adam A7
-Nice clean detailed on the top end, very clear on the mids. The bottom-end, however, might not be enough for certain type of music.

Event Opal
-These are quite nice; clean highs, good bottom-end, but the mids is just a little too recessive for my taste. And at $3000 a pair, I'd rather add $1200 to my budget and get a pair of K+H O 300 instead.

Mackie HR824
-Had a bit of experience with the HR824 (non-MKii version), they have a lot of bass (a bit too overwhelming imo) but their price is quite competitive.

Genelec
-Unless you're willing to go with a pair of 8020B, they might be a bit out of your price range. I've no experience with the 8030A, so I can't comment on them. As for the 8020B, they are great for their size; but you really need a sub for them (I'm using a pair of 8040A atm).

Dynaudio
-Heard the BM6 before, I thought those are fairly good, almost went for them, but got the 8040A instead.

Great input Jenneth... especially on the opal...
I was just waiting for the local supplier price quotation, even though with that price range it'll probably means its a no-go for me...

Thank you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back