Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #511 of 1,164
I got to the Axon late last night so didn't get to compare it much to the HTC yet.  The front facing speakers are probably the best I've ever heard though when the dolby atmos option is on.  Adds some sort of depth and low end.  Its kinda flat without it.  The ability to power my headphones is also very impressive.  Where the 10 did a fine job reaching the levels I was comfortable with, the Axon will go above and beyond.  I have to actually keep the volume much lower so I don't damage my hearing.  The 10 was pretty much maxed out to get it up to where I liked it.  I haven't done much critical listening but I would say that the sound is definitely more neutral.  I understand that the Axon downsamples hires music files, but listening just for a few minutes, I don't think I could really tell.  I'm gonna listen more today when I get a chance.  I was a little worried about build quality considering this is a much cheaper phone and all that but I am truly impressed with how it feels and looks (even if it is only available in gold for the 128gb).  The UI is pretty snappy, but definitely has some bugs that I hope get worked out.  From a strict audio standpoint my first impression is that it is probably right up there with the HTC 10 and LG v20.  The front facing speakers would put it over the top if I put much emphasis on that aspect (but I don't so....).  Let me listen a little more and get back to you guys.

p.s. The battery life is the best I've had on a phone.  Lasts as long as the Sony Xperia Z3 I used to have a couple years ago.  The rapid charging is also amazing.  Full charge in 100 minutes.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #512 of 1,164
  I got to the Axon late last night so didn't get to compare it much to the HTC yet.  The front facing speakers are probably the best I've ever heard though when the dolby atmos option is on.  Adds some sort of depth and low end.  Its kinda flat without it.  The ability to power my headphones is also very impressive.  Where the 10 did a fine job reaching the levels I was comfortable with, the Axon will go above and beyond.  I have to actually keep the volume much lower so I don't damage my hearing.  The 10 was pretty much maxed out to get it up to where I liked it.  I haven't done much critical listening but I would say that the sound is definitely more neutral.  I understand that the Axon downsamples hires music files, but listening just for a few minutes, I don't think I could really tell.  I'm gonna listen more today when I get a chance.  I was a little worried about build quality considering this is a much cheaper phone and all that but I am truly impressed with how it feels and looks (even if it is only available in gold for the 128gb).  The UI is pretty snappy, but definitely has some bugs that I hope get worked out.  From a strict audio standpoint my first impression is that it is probably right up there with the HTC 10 and LG v20.  The front facing speakers would put it over the top if I put much emphasis on that aspect (but I don't so....).  Let me listen a little more and get back to you guys.

p.s. The battery life is the best I've had on a phone.  Lasts as long as the Sony Xperia Z3 I used to have a couple years ago.  The rapid charging is also amazing.  Full charge in 100 minutes.

That's cool. Yeah keep us posted on how it sounds on headphones vs. the 10 please. 

Yeah I used to have the Z3, and its battery life was AMAZING. I use Quick Charge 3.0 right now on my Sony Xperia X Performance. Is that what you use? 

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #513 of 1,164
My 10 doesn't have great battery life, doesn't last the day even without doing anything major on it. Charge it whenever I can.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #514 of 1,164
My 10 doesn't have great battery life, doesn't last the day even without doing anything major on it. Charge it whenever I can.

Well maybe it's not any better than my XP? From what I've seen online, the 10 isn't much better, but it's still better than the XP for battery life. Hopefully the 11 will change that, esp with the help of the 835 processor. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #516 of 1,164
I'm not a heavy user, I'll usually have about 50-65% at the end of a day. Occasionally I do get some surprising amount of battery drain, not sure what is causing that. Running games and things like that is not super efficient either. Really makes me appreciate my old Note 2 battery, which is original and still holds its own against the htc 10.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #517 of 1,164
The battery life on my 10 was decent. Went a full 8 hour work day pretty easily. And I'm generally on my phone a lot during the day as I have no access to a computer to satisfy my net surfing needs.

Nice! Ok so it can vary it seems.

I guess various factors can really influence how strong your battery life is. My Sony Xperia X Performance's battery life is AWFUL but another guy I know on XDA who has the same phone as me says his battery life is great. Just playing music for a while on phone and then simple moderate use with Stamina Mode ON too..........after about 6-8 hours roughly it's down to like 5%. lol But his after like 12-14 hours still has 50%. What?! lol 

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #518 of 1,164

Nice! Ok so it can vary it seems.

I guess various factors can really influence how strong your battery life is. My Sony Xperia X Performance's battery life is AWFUL but another guy I know on XDA who has the same phone as me says his battery life is great. Just playing music for a while on phone and then simple moderate use with Stamina Mode ON too..........after about 6-8 hours roughly it's down to like 5%. lol But his after like 12-14 hours still has 50%. What?! lol 

thats definitely odd. Could be somthing to do with LTE signal? 

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #519 of 1,164
  thats definitely odd. Could be somthing to do with LTE signal? 

Who knows. It could be a variety of things. Maybe I have more apps than he does? But even then, so what? Just tired of dealing with it. Compared to my cousin's LG V20, my XP's battery life is a joke. This is my 2nd XP too. The first one was DEF faulty b/c the one day it heated up REALLY hot and there was another issue too, so I returned it and got this one.

I don't know what the idiot or idiots at Sony did to their software, but it just isn't what it used to be for battery life at all anymore. Also, the decision to go with a SMALLER battery was simply moronic. The two items MOST ppl find to be the most important on a smartphone are the camera and battery life (I read that somewhere once). Sony has excelled with their cameras with the newer X series, but their battery life (which to me is even more important) is nothing like it used to be. So now this company that's barely staying afloat is releasing phones like these? HTC's maybe isn't the best either for battery life, but I have a feeling it's still better, AND they have 2K screens too, not 1080p. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #520 of 1,164
  I had the Mojo before the HTC10. The Mojo sounds exactly the same to me with this pairing as it does with any other source. 

I mainly use the Mojo and HTC 10 combo at work as a desk set-up, using a mix of Tidal and FLAC stuff played off the 200Gb card in the Phone.

After a recent update of USB Audio Player PRO it now plays SACD iso files too, I especially like this option as these ISO's can be tricky to play and now I can even play them from the phone.

I also have a Mojo and 10.  I CAN hear a difference with my IEMs and headphones.  the soundstage has much more depth specially with 24/96+ recordings.  The Mojo and HTC 10 does have a familiar "warmth" to it.  4khz+ the Mojo also has a better separation. 

What are the best value noise canceling in ear headphones out there?

Cheers

I personally love my PSB M4U2.  It doesn't cancel as good as the new Sony or the Bose, but the SQ is much more natural it 

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #522 of 1,164
There is one thing I like to mention about the HTC's boomsound profile feature.

When I profiled my Audeze LCD-3 using the boomsound feature.  the Original and Final frequency curve is exactly the same.  I have profiled other IEMS and headphones, but the frequency response graph is always drastically different from the original and final.

Take it as a gain of salt with this information what ever it might mean to you

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #524 of 1,164
nvm

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #525 of 1,164
The Samsung S7 is a fair bit cheaper on contract in the UK. Wondering is it possible to get a cheap mobile DAC to match the HTC 10's sound quality or reckon I should just pay the extra £10 a month to get the HTC 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back