Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Sep 7, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #316 of 1,164
all android version 5.0 and above supports USB audio. U can connect the USB DAC without any issues, just make sure you buy good quality cable. cheaper ones mostly wont detect.
But unless you are coupling higher end DAC, you wont feel the difference in sound quality because HTC 10 has a very good DAC.

But the thing is , my One max is on 5.02 , still it wouldn't audio out to the DAC/AMP using the supplied Usb and Otg usb , but then it could charge and draw power from the DAC/AMP just wouldn't audio out .

And the ironic thing is , my galaxy note on the other hand running on 4.4.2 doesn't had that problem , it does audio out via the USB / OTG as normally .

So what give ? No matter how I try , the 5.02 one max just wouldn't audio out via USB / OTG .

Any idea what would be the problem ?

Btw I had used the " USB check host " apps to have it checked .
But when I start to fix , it give me a
" Could not start SU process " :confused:

Any clue ?:confused_face_2:

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #317 of 1,164
But the thing is , my One max is on 5.02 , still it wouldn't audio out to the DAC/AMP using the supplied Usb and Otg usb , but then it could charge and draw power from the DAC/AMP just wouldn't audio out .

And the ironic thing is , my galaxy note on the other hand running on 4.4.2 doesn't had that problem , it does audio out via the USB / OTG as normally .

So what give ? No matter how I try , the 5.02 one max just wouldn't audio out via USB / OTG .

Any idea what would be the problem ?

Btw I had used the " USB check host " apps to have it checked .
But when I start to fix , it give me a
" Could not start SU process "
confused.gif

Any clue ?
confused_face_2.gif

Actually USB DAC compatibility feature is a hardware feature. So in your case i think one max doesnt support usb DAC on stock condition.
u have to root and flash custom kernel. I would say better buy a DAC player instead of going through the difficulties. Flashing HTC phone is a bit hectic compared to other phones.

Again using entry level dac doesnt give you much difference in audio quality. You will need higher end DACs, but for which the the phone may not be able to supply enough power and will drain the battery very quickly.

So the simple solution is to buy atleast a mid range DAC player ( Fiio X5) or HI FI DAC integrated Smartphones like HTC 10, LG V10 or V20.

Surprising this cheap sony mp3 player gives me better sudio quality than my expensive Samsung Note 5 or the external DAC Fiio E10K paired with Audio Technica M50X.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nwz-b180-series

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #318 of 1,164
Actually USB DAC compatibility feature is a hardware feature. So in your case i think one max doesnt support usb DAC on stock condition.
u have to root and flash custom kernel. I would say better buy a DAC player instead of going through the difficulties. Flashing HTC phone is a bit hectic compared to other phones.

Again using entry level dac doesnt give you much difference in audio quality. You will need higher end DACs, but for which the the phone may not be able to supply enough power and will drain the battery very quickly.

So the simple solution is to buy atleast a mid range DAC player ( Fiio X5) or HI FI DAC integrated Smartphones like HTC 10, LG V10 or V20.

Surprising this cheap sony mp3 player gives me better sudio quality than my expensive Samsung Note 5 or the external DAC Fiio E10K paired with Audio Technica M50X.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nwz-b180-series

Now this make sense , many thanks bro , yeah that's why I didn't choose to root the HTC , I won't be investing into any DAP sooner , as I couldn't find a DAP under a K with the APTX enabled , and I'm currently looking forward to have a 're contracted with my Telco for the HTC 10 .

So HTC does actually support usb Audio out .

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #319 of 1,164
Hello, does anyone know the output power of the phone?

Headphones output power (Volts)
Higher is better
Apple iPhone 6s 0.986

HTC 10 0.95

Samsung Galaxy S7 0.704

Sony Xperia Z5 0.35

LG G5 0.29
Htc 10 has amp built in, don't know how iPhone 6 can have better output. Found on net.

Guessing here.. but the amperes (current) may be higher on HTC 10 so overall Watts could be higher on the HTC.. remember some saying it's one of the first 1Watt amplifier in the phone.. but I may be mistaken so please check

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #321 of 1,164
Anyone coming from the HTC one m8 that can give us a sound quality companion?

Cheers

Owned the M8 since release day, just picked up the 10 about a month ago, currently working on a review, so here are some of my notes: 

As far as SQ through the headphone jack goes, the quality is noticeably better with a very low noise floor even with my most sensitive iems, the Shure SE215, Westone UM 50 Pro and Oriveti Primacy, it's barely noticeable if at all. The M8 by comparison had a lot of hiss with those earphones.

Output impedance is definitely lower as it sounds more inline with my Oppo HA-2 than the M8 does with particular earphones.

Volume is pretty similar between both, I don't own anything particularly hard to drive and I'm more of a low level listener so hiss is usually a bigger issue to me.

Overall, I'm really liking the headphone out on the 10, it has HTC's usual quality AMP with plenty of voltage for high impedance gear and also plenty of current for low impedance monitors but this time, the discrete DAC is of much higher quality (Likely the Aqstic DAC), reproducing songs with a lot more dynamic range, everything sounds a lot cleaner. 

As for speakers, it's a mixed bag as others have stated. I do think that the full range driver on the bottom/side of the phone is of slightly higher quality than the drivers used on the M8 but the top tweeter is pretty average.

The bottom speaker is mostly dominant with the front speaker complimenting certain sounds. The 10 does have the immediacy of sound that the M8 produces through this setup, where purely bottom/rear firing phones can sound more diffuse, but it lacks the sense of depth produced by the stereo setup.

The 10 has more extension in either direction, treble in particular is much crisper though the lower midrange has less body. Bass notes are punchier through the 10 though the midrange sounds somewhat skewed due to the uneven speaker output. More detail and clarity on the 10's speakers are great for videos and vocals in general.

I think the sound quality of the 10's speakers is ever so slightly better but the placement is of course inferior. The M8 has an extra notch of volume but distorts slightly at the top two notches, the 10 does not, so in that sense, the usable volume range is higher, but overall volume doesn't get quite as loud. You'll notice a lot of internet reviews use the music preset, the movie preset actually produces a lot more volume but soundstage effects can make vocals sound more hollow.

If you use the phone speakers to listen to music, definitely check out this video detailing some eQ settings though Poweramp, you can also see my tweaked settings below sourced from this video, both do produce a much nicer sound than stock when used in conjunction with the Dolby music present. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQsxcoh3Uw)

Of note, 31Hz is reduced to minimum in order prevent distortion as phone speakers will never reach that low anyway. Be sure to assign this eQ to speakers and the flat eQ preset to headphones so Poweramp will automatically switch between to two when headphones are plugged/un-plugged.

Tweaked eQ settings:

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #322 of 1,164
Owned the M8 since release day, just picked up the 10 about a month ago, currently working on a review, so here are some of my notes: 

As far as SQ through the headphone jack goes, the quality is noticeably better with a very low noise floor even with my most sensitive iems, the Shure SE215, Westone UM 50 Pro and Oriveti Primacy, it's barely noticeable if at all. The M8 by comparison had a lot of hiss with those earphones.

Output impedance is definitely lower as it sounds more inline with my Oppo HA-2 than the M8 does with particular earphones.

Volume is pretty similar between both, I don't own anything particularly hard to drive and I'm more of a low level listener so hiss is usually a bigger issue to me.

Overall, I'm really liking the headphone out on the 10, it has HTC's usual quality AMP with plenty of voltage for high impedance gear and also plenty of current for low impedance monitors but this time, the discrete DAC is of much higher quality (Likely the Aqstic DAC), reproducing songs with a lot more dynamic range, everything sounds a lot cleaner. 

As for speakers, it's a mixed bag as others have stated. I do think that the full range driver on the bottom/side of the phone is of slightly higher quality than the drivers used on the M8 but the top tweeter is pretty average.

The bottom speaker is mostly dominant with the front speaker complimenting certain sounds. The 10 does have the immediacy of sound that the M8 produces through this setup, where purely bottom/rear firing phones can sound more diffuse, but it lacks the sense of depth produced by the stereo setup.

The 10 has more extension in either direction, treble in particular is much crisper though the lower midrange has less body. Bass notes are punchier through the 10 though the midrange sounds somewhat skewed due to the uneven speaker output. More detail and clarity on the 10's speakers are great for videos and vocals in general.

I think the sound quality of the 10's speakers is ever so slightly better but the placement is of course inferior. The M8 has an extra notch of volume but distorts slightly at the top two notches, the 10 does not, so in that sense, the usable volume range is higher, but overall volume doesn't get quite as loud. You'll notice a lot of internet reviews use the music preset, the movie preset actually produces a lot more volume but soundstage effects can make vocals sound more hollow.

If you use the phone speakers to listen to music, definitely check out this video detailing some eQ settings though Poweramp, you can also see my tweaked settings below sourced from this video, both do produce a much nicer sound than stock when used in conjunction with the Dolby music present. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQsxcoh3Uw)

Of note, 31Hz is reduced to minimum in order prevent distortion as phone speakers will never reach that low anyway. Be sure to assign this eQ to speakers and the flat eQ preset to headphones so Poweramp will automatically switch between to two when headphones are plugged/un-plugged.

Tweaked eQ settings:

Cheers

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #326 of 1,164
  does pixel have good dac?Pixel does not have a micro sd card slot so I am not interested with it...
confused_face.gif

I prefer v20 though because of the dac and the screen size for reading.

Not sure yet on the DAC, but given the work they've put into the camera and how hard they're advertising the headphone jack, I have a feeling it's gonna be solid. I don't need the extra size, I'd get the smaller size myself, but there IS the Pixel XL if you need the bigger screen.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #328 of 1,164

Not sure yet on the DAC, but given the work they've put into the camera and how hard they're advertising the headphone jack, I have a feeling it's gonna be solid. I don't need the extra size, I'd get the smaller size myself, but there IS the Pixel XL if you need the bigger screen.

still if I were to buy pixel I will get 128gb due to all those flac files because there is no micro sd card expansion...It will cost me an iphone 7+ maybe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back