Review of Voodoo Reference vs VD Nites
Jun 27, 2003 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bluesaint

500+ Head-Fier
This is my first and foremost review of any Hi-Fi equipment, so please bare with the mediocre terms i may use or even insult the fidelity of things.

With that out of the way, I had the Voodoo's for slightly over a month now and I could say i'm accustomed to how it sounds.

To give you a better idea of how Voodoo's sound, you should look at Markl's review when he did his IC swapping test.

I'm going to focus more on the differences I heard after swapping in the Nite's and then going back to Voodoo's.

Visually: Well, pictures are worth a thousand words, so here is the pix of the Nite's connected to my system.

vdnite1.jpg

The cable is extremely tough and resistant to physical abuse, packs quite a automotive hose feel. Despite the thickness of the cable, it is still flexable to most angles compared to stiff unbudgeble PowerCords.

For compairson purposes, here are the Voodoo References:

voodoo1.jpg

Ok, before I get to how it sounds sonically, look at my signature below and you will know what my rig is.

Initial Impressions of the VD nites:
-Sound stage compared to the Voodoo's is moved back a few rows.

-Felt a bit less energetic compared to the Voodoo's on rock/pop cd's, but in a good way. The Voodoo's sometimes make certain tracks a bit bright in compairson.

-Other than the two things i mentioned, i was left a bit puzzled as to what the hypes are about this cable.

Now for the interesting part:

Just so I don't shoot myself in the head for buying this expensive IC i reconnected the Voodoo and here is the shocking part:

-The voodoo's now sound very loose, not sure if thats the right word to describe it, but the instruments and vocal sounds scattered. It almost sounds like everything is frankensteined together.

-Besides the loose sound, it just sound like something is missing from the audio now after listening to the Nites. It's almost like the music went on a diet, but you can't put your foot on what portion went thin.

So after this ackward listening experience with the Voodoo's, i put the Nites back on and voila, everything sounds smooth again.

Conclusion:

I guess because the Nites make the track sound smooth, and just "right" I wasn't able to be "WOWed" off my seats from the cable swap. Swapping back to the Voodoo's is when the difference between the two really hit me like how Hulk smashes everything (sorry, in the Hulk mood since just watched it ^_^ )

However, dont' get me wrong, The Voodoo's are really something for the $250, and it is really a giant killer. However, compared to the Nites, it left much more to be desired.

Have my cable jumping ended? Not quite, now that I know what Nites can do, i want to see what others are out there. So don't be suprised to see both Voodoo and Nites go on sale soon
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. I just jumped back to Voodoo's again and there is one thing the Voodoo really accelerate even over the Nites is the Guitars! Guitars sounds sonically better than the Nites. I remember Markl mentioned the samething in his review. Guitars just come to life with the Voodoo's.

Jun 27, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi Bluesaint, thanks for the review. Yes, I think if you are a big fan of the electric guitar or horns/trumpets, the Voodoo Reference is a terrific choice, it really lets instruments in that range come to the fore. I agree that for the money, its very very impressive, offering a lot of what the VD cables give you along with some extra "flavor" of its own.

Good luck finding a better cable than the Nites, and don't be surprised if after all your searching you come right back to them. That distortion-free, easy yet powerful sound with everything in proportion, seamless integration, bass performance, and soundstaging capabilities are a rare and appealing combo.

Mark

Jun 27, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I haven't had much experience with silver cables, but then again, i just started all this headfi stuff 1 months ago
biggrin.gif

What do you think of the Voodoo Silver Reference?

Are they as cold sounding as most silver cables are?

Right now these are some of the other cables I would like to audition:

-Cardas Golden Reference
-Voodoo Silver Reference
-Nordost quattro fil
-Acoustic Zen Matrix Ref II

Any comments or exp with any of them?

-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back