review of UM TF10 quad driver anywhere?
Mar 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

obrienk

100+ Head-Fier
hi, i've tried searching but my skills are weak
redface.gif

i've picked up some TF10 pro iems and am going to have them re-shelled by either fisher or UM. i have the impressions ready to go
normal_smile .gif

however, i'm considering having an extra mid driver fitted by UM but can't seem to find any definitive review to show whether this is a good / bad idea?

with regards having them just re-shelled, and being in the UK, i'm more inclined to go with UM as the cost including shipping works out about $20 more, but i think the build quality looks slightly higher. i'm also a little unsure as to the quality of fisher's custom artwork.

i'm planning on having solid white shells / faceplate, so would like them to be super smooth, but i guess being solid they wouldn't show any bubbles / fingerprints / internal blemishes?

would an extra driver be beneficial? if not, is it worth paying the little extra and having UM do the re-shelling?

apologies for the long-winded post, but i guess what i'm really asking is:

1) is it worth having an extra driver fitted, or am i going to mess up the sound?

2) cost not being a deciding factor (as it's pretty much the same) which of the two have better build quality / better custom artwork?

cheers!

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 13
You have to remember that the IEMs were engineered to have only three drivers. Plenty of testing went into the decisions on crossover frequencies, drivers used, etc. Also, I've read that reshelling the TF10 takes some of the bite out of their V frequency curve (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). I'd advise against it, EQ'ing is probably better and isn't as big a gamble.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 13
I have the TF10 with mid driver. For me it's a big improvement. The mids are more upfront and detailed. I also notice more bass than I did with the TF10 but I have had fit problems with the universal tips and the customs fit my ear perfectly. Highs and soundstage are about the same.
If you think that the mids are recessed and sound unnatural with the TF10, get them remolded with a mid driver. If you think that the mids sound good, just get them remolded. I have remolds only done by Unique Melody and they look fantastic (polished gemstones). Excellent craftmanship. I have had a few done and only sent one back for a refit.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 13
thanks guys. i'll wait till the tf10s arrive and see how i feel about the sound.

pretty sure i'll go with UM for the extra $20 though (return shipping from fisher is $60 so don't fancy needing a re-fit
frown.gif
)

as long as the extra driver doesn't mess the sound up - it's quite hard to find reviews

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 13
Its not hard to find reviews. You just need to read through the Unique Melody owner appreciation thread. I posted my review there and like the guy above, found the mid driver a huge improvement. Where before the mids were recessed, with the singer seemingly behind most instruments - now vocals are upfront, lush and intimate.

I think soundstage might have been slightly reduced because the mids are so much closer - but instrument separation is still excellent.

Because of the improved mids you get a much better sense of detail through the mids and highs.

I should also note that I bought my quads from someone else - and had Fisher remold them for me.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much does UM charge for a remold + mid drivers + shipping?

Thanks,
Leon

$247 but i think it depends on the exchange rate at the time. custom artwork is another $35 (for single colour)

$159 for just the remould + shipping

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 13
polloloco, cheers for the input. i've read through both UM threads, and both Fisher threads (took quite a while) but couldn't see anything which leapt out regarding the quads.

were your quads the UM ones originally? how do you find the quality of the fisher mould, compared to the original UM one?

cheers!

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 13
btw $60 for return shipping from Fisher to Europe? yikes o.o considering your price difference I'd go with the UM (they certainly seem to have the edge as far as finish goes, as well a the option for add'l drivers that you're looking for). it was a bigger difference for me in price & turn-around time so I went with Fisher's (still optimistic tho).

i believe i've read that that impressions shrink or deform if you keep them too long, so don't think too long on this
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 13
yeah i was all ready to send them to fisher when i got the $66 shipping cost
frown.gif
it's the only option they can offer which offers sufficient insurance. that made the cost for remoulds and artwork $171 at fisher, and $194 at UM

sam's also sent me some examples of their custom artwork so i'm confident they'll have no problem with my simple logos (star wars ones
redface.gif
)

combining that with the superb finishing of the UM shells and the fact that i may / may not (i'm 75% sure i will) go for the extra driver then it's no contest really.

just after some reassurance that the extra driver won't harm the sound in anyway, which from the feedback i've received (i've since gone back and found all polloloco's posts on the subject
beerchug.gif
) i don't think it's an issue.

and cheers for the tip on impressions - just waiting for the TF10s to arrive before i can get them out again....

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 13
My most important piece of advice to you is to listen to them for about a week after burnin. If you are happy with the detail and placement of the mids, then dont bother getting the extra driver. If, however, you want a more intimate vocal presentation and dont find the stock sound satisfying, then the additional mid driver will be worth it. One interesting thing to note - since my shells are transparent - the mid driver casing is as big as that of both the current TF10 low drivers.

The fisher shells have more defects than the original UM shells. But they're either in my ear or invisible at reasonable distances, so I never cared. Also, the fit has been absolutely perfect - so I was happy with the Fisher product.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 13
cheers. i wasn't questioning the fisher product. but for the sake of $20 i'll probably go with UM as i know it'll be perfect. plus, if i need a re-fit $66 return shipping is a bit much
confused_face.gif

and thanks again for the advice re: the extra driver. i've tried the ue11 and apparently the tf10 quad is similar, but will try them as-is for a bit before deciding
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back