Review of the Headroom Headphone Bag
Jul 31, 2001 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Voyager

Do not let me borrow your SportaPros
Intro

As the title suggests, this is a review of the Headroom headphone bag. I got the headphone bag when I bought my new RS-2s from DanG. (review as soon as I get some Clou cable to compare with my senns)

Construction

The headphone bag is really 2 bags in one. There is an outer bag made of black nylon that measures about 9.5" by 12" The outer bag is closed with a draw string threaded through 2 metal rings and works pretty well, though I wish that the spring loaded clip held with a little more force. I also think it could be better If the draw string was slightly thicker, but the draw string that the bag comes with is plenty strong. The draw string is also nicely finished, being tied in a knot, and then having the ends melted so that it will not fray. Try as I might, I could not tear the bag when pulling at its opening. I pulled it nearly as hard as I could, but the bag wouldn't stretch, nor did I hear any threads breaking, tearing, or ripping.

The inner bag is made of black and grey neoprene that measures about 9" by 9". The neoprene is 1/4" thick and is very stretchy. It would act as a cushion if it were dropped with phones in it, preventing a lot of potential damage. The bag easily holds either my Sennheiser HD580s or my Grado RS-2s. To insert phones into the bag, I remove the inner bag, place the phones inside, and coil the wire up outside the bag while the phones are in the bag. they I place the wire in the inner bag and the inner bag goes into the uterbag. Again, as I tried to pull apart the bag, I failed. Great job by the folks at Headroom on their sewing job! That is one of my tests when I buy jeans or other pants. I pull at the seams and more often than not, the threads holding the seam together will start to give.

Water Resistance

In my testing, I found the outer headphone bag to be EXTREMELY water resistant. My first test of this was to place my hand in the bag (with the inner bag removed) and place it under a running faucet. My hand did not become wet at all. To dry off the bag, I just held it verticle, and within seconds, all of the water had dripped off. My second test was to fill the outer bag completely with water and look for any leaks. When filled the bag did leak, but relativly little. It didn't start to really leak until the bag was 1/4 filled, aand even when completely filled, the bag only leaked at the seams and where the Headroom logo is sewn on. The bag remained filled for 10 minutes before I emptied it. After 10 mins, it was still very filled with water. To dry I simply wiped both sides with a towel, flipped the bag inside out, and repeated. I would trust this to keep my RS-2s dry in a hurricane as long as water doesn't get in the top opening. The bag could be made of leatherette like the bag that comes with Koss' Sportapros, but then it would lose a lot of its water resistance.

Conclusion

I love this bag! It allows me to move my phones without bulky cases like the one that comes with the HD600. If you need a bag for headphones, but don't want to get a Pelican case, I VERY highly recommend this.

Jul 31, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 8
Excellent review.

There's just one thing missing:

What about the sound?

biggrin.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Jul 31, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the review! Hmm, it makes my laptop bag seem inferior...

Is it subtle when you are walking with it or is it easily noticable?

Jul 31, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Wow, Voyager, I'm glad you like my old bag! I didn't know anyone could get so much sheer enjoyment from a bag.
biggrin.gif

And now, it's official: Voyager is desperate for items to review! Someone should send him some RCA caps or an extension cord.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the bag isn't so small, to answer your question, Chych. The bag, as Voyager said, is a bag within a bag. So it's about the size of your headphones plus about half of an inch.

Jul 31, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 8
Voyager - since your SOOO desperate
wink.gif
, why don't u review the interconnects i asked about - the replacement ones for the HD495s mentioned on headwize....

Jul 31, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 8
DanG, I love to review stuff. I don't know why, but I get satisfaction from it.

Coolvij, I'd love to review the interconnects, but I lack both the phones and the money for them. If you want though, I will review the red clou cables I am going to order from headroom in a week or 2 when I get them.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Personally, I didn't like the Headroom bag as I found it too small. Plus, the strings is very tight and not as flexible. Currently, I like the CD-1700 leather bag best and I use it to store my HP-1s
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back