Review of the Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohm) using a Violectric HPA-V100 and USB DAC 24/192
Apr 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gregorygood

New Head-Fier
This is my first posted review for any headphones. I would like to start out and state that I listen to headphones at work almost every day. My company moved to a cube environment and this required me to find another way to block ambient noise from other co-workers and be able to listen to music.

I have several sets of headphones that I have used over the last several years (they include: Ultrasone Pro550s, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, Beyerdynamic DT 880s, Beyerdynamic T70s). I have also used several different setups for listening (straight PC, Fiio E7 DAC with a Fiio E9 amplifier, and Violectric HPA-V100 with DAC).

My current setup is using the Violectric V100 / DAC and Beyerdynamic DT 880s with a gain on the Amplifier of +6dB. While listening at 0dB I noticed the DT 880s to be less efficient than the T70s and the Tesla drivers; however when I added 6dB of gain, the sound and listening experience came to life. I was truly amazed as to the sound stage that was provided.

Listening to Fleetwood Mac Rhiannon from the Dance, Stevie Nicks sounds as if she is directly in front of you with her opening vocals and on Big Love, Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar work in the beginning sounds as if you are sitting next to him. On the Eagles Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over, if you are to close your eyes, it feels as if you are in the club with them during this performance. You can hear various notes and finger slides that are not apparent on other headphones.

I have had my DT 880s for quite some time and I am truly impressed with them and their warm sound. The Violectric amplifier has really brought them to life and gives me the sound and imaging I have been looking for. They are truly amazing.

Greg

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Nice first effort. Some would be surprised that the DT880 sounds "warm" even with ideal amplification, but I share your admiration of their sound generally. For my money the 880, for all its ubquitousness, is actually one of the great undiscovered treasures and bargains of the headphone world. Nearly everyone's heard them at some time, but rarely wih sympathetic amplification, properly burnt in and with maybe just a touch of EQ at the top end, for those with sensitive ears. Their combination of price, sound, comfort and build quality is pretty much unbeatable for my money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back