Review of the Agneta Hybrid Headphone Amp by Mr. Nixie
Jan 5, 2021 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

McMaly

New Head-Fier
In the last few weeks I had ample opportunity to do a comprehensive tube rolling with Mr. Nixie's new Agneta headphone amp.

All double triodes of the type ECC81, E81CC, ECC82, E82CC, ECC802S, ECC83MG as well as 5751 and their international versions such as 12AT7, 6201, CV4024, CV455, 12AU7 (WA) CV4003, CV491, 12AX7MG, CV4004, 6057, 6681, 7025 and many more, whose heating is on pin 4 and 5 and the center connection is on pin 9 can be used.

This is really a very versatile amp for all tube-rollers.

As expected, three NOS double triodes from earlier production were sonically the most convincing.

I will only comment on the RoHS-compliant tubes that are yet to be purchased.

Of course, the listening impressions only describe my personal impressions with the six different headphones I used (from Ultrasone Edition 8 to Sennheiser HD 650 to Ultimate Ears - (the UE) specially made in the USA and formed for my inner ears).

In the pictures you can see my personal preferences in descending order from left to right.

All tubes have of course been burned in for at least 20 hours before the listening sessions.

In my experience, the amplifier also needs about 50 operating hours to reveal its full potential.

The unit will not be shipped with the volume knob shown in the pics attached.

I did change it for a massive aluminium knob that is more my liking.

You have a set of RCA inputs on the rear of the unit and a 3,5 mm jack socket on the front.

A description of the features can be found here: http://www.nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=agneta_hpa

Now to the main thing: how does the Agneta sound?

It had to compete against my long time reference from the USA: a Ray Samuels Raptor, which costs three times as much as the Agneta.

The Agneta sounds very spatial with good bass control and a musical midrange, as I like it.

There is nothing wrong with the start-stop behavior either. The sonic properties came very close to my reference in some areas.

But there is one thing that the Agneta did a little better than the Raptor: It also gets along extremely well with very low impedance ear transducers.

For the price asked, Jürgen alias Mr.Nixie has again succeeded in a very well-rounded product from my point of view.

Cheers,
Matthias

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 3
In the last few weeks I had ample opportunity to do a comprehensive tube rolling with Mr. Nixie's new Agneta headphone amp.

Cheers,
Matthias
Thanks a lot for your review, Matthias.

I just started to do some listening sessions with a smaller range of ECC 81 / 12AT7.

• S4A ECC81 - 6201 (already mentioned in your review)
  • Genalex Gold Lion 12AT7
  • PSVANE T-Series Mark II 12AT7
...and the standard valve delivered with amp JJ ECC81 Red Label

S4A is in burning-in-session these days. Other valves will follow next time.
Nevertheless, Agneta with standard valve is sending a broad soundstage, fresh and musical sound.

Available Headphones are MRSpeakers Alpha Prime, AEon Flow open back and Grado RS 2e.
Will come back next time with some findings.

By the way, your version of the amp is a pre-series model?
Mine looks slightly different with an other button for volume control.

Attachments

• Bild Roehre Agneta 210701.jpg
    Bild Roehre Agneta 210701.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 3
Hello,

as I can see, You are already operating the new Digna.....same as me..... :wink:

The knob is, as written, not the original but a special one from Donaudio I do prefer for all my amps.

Let the community know how your further findings are.

Cheers (Grüße) Matthias......I assume You are from Germany :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back