Review of Sennheiser HD-497
Jul 17, 2002 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dinosauract

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using the Senn 497's for about a week now, as a portable phone for listening while laying around soaking up sun at a local pool. I paid $34.99 at a local CC for an opened package. Everything about the phones looked brand new and undisturbed, so with the assurance I could return them if necessary, I took the plunge. My previous phones were the Optimus Pro-35's, a clone of the Koss KTX-Pro. Well, the Optimus phones definitely had some positives; easy to lug around, pretty durable and passable sound. They're not the most comfortable and are too bass-heavy.

I use a newer Panasonic PCDP, an entry-level model, about $50, with non-defeatable ESP. Immediately after putting these things on, I caught a glimpse of my shadow. Man, these things are pretty big, and they stick out pretty far from my head. They've gotta be looking pretty geeky. Oh well, I'm married anyway, so despite the plethora of beautiful college girls at this pool, it really doesn't matter how they look. The next thing I noticed is how long that cord really is. The 3 meter cord is great at home, but for portable use, that thing really gets in the way. The next thing I noticed was that I could barely tell I had them on. They had been a little tight when I tried them on immediately after purchase, but they seemed to have loosend up nicely. And they stay put, something that was always a problem with the old Pro-35's.

Well, how do they sound? Damn good! I use Senn 580's at home with a Cal Audio CD player and a Bryston pre-amp. I never thoght that this could be compared to that set-up, but I was hoping for a noticeable improvement over the Pro-35's. Well, this set-up doesn't match my home gear, but its a lot closer than I would've dreamed.

The 497's seem to be easy to dirve, the PCDP's volume being set at about 15 out of about 50. The sound is very detailed and dynamic, almost exactly the opposite of how they sounded out of the box before break-in.

The mid-range is excellent, very smooth and detailed. Vocals sound right on, sibilants being reproduced perfectly, a very difficult thing to achieve in low priced gear, and something that plenty of expensive stuff doesn't get right. Subtle changes in pitch of vocals, guitars, and piano are reproduced with realism.

The top end is very well extended and detailed as well, but it doesn't throw the sound in your face. Cymbals, shakers, and violins sound like the real thing. Violins can sometimes have a little bite, and this is reproduced very well with the 497's. They don't exaggerate the high end, but it definitely is not rolled off. Nearly perfect, at least to my ears.

The bass region is good, but is not quite up to the standard of the rest of the frequency range. Extension is excellent, electric bass, string bass, cellos and even synthetic bass are all reproduced with weight and detail. I love cellos, the subtle overlays of texture are an excellent test of the resolving powers of any piece of equipment. The 497's excel here. The negative aspect of the bass area is that electic bass seems a little pronounced. There seems to be a slight boost in the mid-bass, meaning that certain notes seem to linger a little longer than they shoud. It is not severe, and on certain tracks it provides a nice warm feel, but it is a coloration.

I tested the same tracks with the 497's on my home rig to see if the problem could be the PCDP. Although lessened, there was still a little added warmth in this region, compared to the 580's. The amazing thing about this experiment was just how close the 497's come to the 580's sound. Swithching back and forth between the two also allowed for comparison of comfort and sensitivity. The two phones definitely have a different feel on the head and ears. The 580's are of course very comfy, with that nice velour padding. But the 497's are very good too, being lighter without undue pressure on the head or ears.

If I didn't have the 580's I could easily be happy with the 497's as my main headphone. They have everything that's important to me: comfort, detail, resolution, extended frequency response.

At the price I paid, these phones are an unbelievable value. At the full retail price, they're still an excellent value. For $20 less list price, the 477's could be considered. I've never heard them, but I would think they sound similar and do have the cloth earpads. The Grado 60's could also be considered. To my ears, the 497's and the Grado's have a lot of similarities. For me the comfort of the 497's easily beats the Grado's. The Grado's are more forward in their presentation but they don't have that slightly over-warm mid-bass. I believe the 497's are a little more accurate overall, but I'm sure some would prefer the Grado's.

There are some drawbacks for portable use, as I mentioned. These things are a little bulky. But the main problem is that 3 meter cord. It's great for home use but a major pain on the go. I'm going to investigate ways of keeping that thing under control. I suppose a simple twist-tie would work, Radio Shack also sells a little gadget for this purpose that only costs a couple of bucks. You won't look too cool with these things on your head, they tend to stick out at the sides of the headpiece and also the earcups are pretty deep. But the plusses of these phones easily outhwiegh the drawbacks. The sound is phenomenal, and they are easy to drive.

Some people have criticized the build quality. They are totally plastic, but they seem well put together. I think they will stand up to normal use and even some abuse without having problems. The pleather on the earpads looks a little cheap, but it's nicely padded and comfortable. Sennheiser claims the pleather actually makes a favorable contribution to the sound, that cloth would have dulled the highs on these phones. The cloth earpads from the 477's will fit the 497's and can be purchased from Sennheiser if desired.

All in all, a fantastic headphone, and an unbeatable bargain, especially at what I paid. I didn't think this kind of sound could be achieved at this price.

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 22
Nice review. I got the 497's about two months ago. Love em'.
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 22
HI: I am glad that you like the 497 but as far as the 580s go I find that the 580s need a good source and a good amp. I also got 4 good ics and the equniox replacement cable and the 580s sound very different than befor. You could never compair the 497 to the 580s if they were set up right. I also had the 497 for a while so know what it sounds like. At one time they were very hot here on the forum. Enjoy

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by dinosauract
Sennheiser claims the pleather actually makes a favorable contribution to the sound, that cloth would have dulled the highs on these phones. The cloth earpads from the 477's will fit the 497's and can be purchased from Sennheiser if desired.

I can back that up, I tried the cloth pads on the 497 and there was a noticable drop in volume and brightness. Personally I don't find the fabric they used very comfortable. It's not a velour like good pads it's cheap stuff, more like soft burlap.
rolleyes.gif
It gets itchy too, I'd rather have the sweaty ears than the ich

I wouldn't recommend the 477, it's definitely a few notches below the 497. I found the sound dull by comparison, it's not as bright and the mids seem much more recessed. The sound is ok but they just don't create any excitement. It's too bad they didn't use the pleather on the 477 as well, it would have helped them somewhat.

(HBZ)

Jul 17, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 22
ltucci1924 -

Hi, appreciate your comments to my review. Regarding the 580's, I run a CAL CL-10 as my source, a long-time respected CD player, into Kimber Select IC's into the Bryston BP-25. This is the gear I compared the 497's to the 580's on. I am using the stock cord on the 580's. Granted, the Bryston is not a dedicated headphone amp, but it has a dedicated headphone section which is far from an afterthought as it is on some pre-amps. I preferred it easily over the Creek and Musical Fidelity amps I've tried. The Headroom amp I tried was comparable, but I still thought the Bryston was more transparent. Do you feel the Bryston is not up to driving the 580's?

Jul 17, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 22
dinosauract
HI: GREAT review by the way. I use to use my 580s out of my sony stereo 500 watt. amp headphone jack and got great sound out of it. But I must admit that useing my stereo receiver and cd deck with the 2 DiMazio ics fron cd deck to the reciever and then the stereo tape out to my supreme amp with 2 DiMazio ics that it all sounds better than my stereo headphone jack out. Now the ics cost me 170.00 for the 4 of them and the supreme amp cost 450.00 for the sound I now get not to mention another 185.00 for the replacement cable. If I had it to do all over again I would have kept the stock cable and used my srereo reciever headphone jack and be very happy with the sound. I just got caught up in the high-fi thing. I now use my main rig 10 percent of the time and use my portable rig 90 per cent of the time. I am on the move alot even if I go from different rooms or to the back yeard or to the park with my dog or just out with the dog and my portable rig for the day. Your setup seem fine and if you feel the the 497 are a close match to your 580s then I believe you. I am really glad that you like the 497 so much especially as little as you paid for them. I think it is great to really like your cans whatever they are so please forgive me if I under apreciated your review about the 580s and 497s. Good luck with your sound and I admire you for being happy with what you got.

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for that wonderful review of the HD 497s. I have had a pair for a month now and I agree with you completely. They are incredible. I think they beat my Grado SR60s by a decent margin. I tried the 477s too and they were not nearly so good as the SR60s. So with the SR60s as a benchmark, that shows you how I feel about the 497s. I've never heard the 580s before, but your observations and descrption of the sound make your opinion very persuasive.

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 22
I know this is kinda off topic, but can anyone tell me if there's any major difference between the 497 and 495? I have a 495 that I bought for playing my keyboard at night. I think it's alright, nothing spectacular or anything. Pretty mediocre actually. I was wondering if +2 would make a big difference?

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 22
I've never heard the 495 so this is hearsay but they say the 495 is pretty dark sounding. I think an amp can help but I don't know how much improvement you'd get. The 497 would have a much brighter sound and be easier to drive. I'm fairly certain that comparisons between the 497 and 495 have been made before. Try the search button in the upper right corner, I bet you'll find what you're looking for.

(HBZ)

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 22
Great review by dinosaur and I agree with everything except his favorable comparison of the HD497s with Grado SR60s. I ordered both and tried them out. The HD497s are dazzling--incredible clarity, richness, and sensitivity. The Grado SR60s are muddy and depressed. I listen to classical music only, on headphones only (unless I can go to a live concert), so the differences are crucial to me. These HD497s are the best in the price range, despite the big silver plastic design. I can live with any design if the sound is good, and the sound on these is exquisite. Couldn't be happier unless I had enough money to buy the etymotic in-ear miracles.

Jul 18, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 22
I know this is off topic a little bit again, sorry. But I want to thank Hamsterball_Z for the information. I still don't like my 495 as much but I think I need some serious burn-in as well. Maybe it will improve after that.

Jul 18, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 22
I've had the Senn. hd497 before, and they sounded a bit bright to me. They were also a little uncomfortable. I am wondering if I needed to burn them in more to alleviate the brightness. Are there any other alternatives in that same price range (~$70) that could compete with the Senn's in terms of detail, imaging, and soundstage? I will try the Grado SR60 if I get a chance.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 22
They fit like clouds on my head and ears. They float, weightless, and they caress my ears and the top of my head with whispers. My glasses are uncomfortable. My bra is uncomfortable. My job, my house, my car, and my kids are uncomfortable. But I have never felt anything sweeter on my head than these phones. Not the touch of a lover's hand. Nothing. Who finds them uncomfortable and why? I cannot imagine it. I'm not selling them, understand, Sennheiser isn't giving me a cut of their profits, but I cannot conceive a world of such incredible comfort that these babies would be UN-, in it. Some world I have never visited, I guess.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 22
That was a most excellent post, Mirabai! It was so enjoyable to read.

But to answer your question: I am one of the several people who have found these phones to be uncomfortable and who have stated so here on Head-Fi. I found them to be uncomfortable in the way that they press hard against my ears. To elaborate: The cushions are very thin. and not large around either. When I wore the 'phones, the hard plastic part (right on top of the drivers) pressed right smack onto my ears.

Last weekend I visited the headroom.com headphone exhibition in San Francisco. I must have tried on about 15 pairs of headphones. None of them came close to hurting like the HD-497s did. Actually, that's not true: the Sennheiser 280 Pro, which is of the same form factor, did come very close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back