Review of modded DT 990's.
Dec 13, 2006 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
Well we have all read reviews about the new Beyer’s, namely the DT880’s and the DT990’s so I won’t boar you with more dribble other than to say that I am a Beyer fan and like the new ones even more than the old ones. My review of the DT 990’s would be very positive.

What I do want to comment on is my “re-cableing of the DT 990’s. I used two 10 foot lengths of Mogami pure copper cable (shield and vinal removed) to put two 22ga. leads to each terminal for a total of eight wires used. I did it in a “Y” configuration and drilled a hole in the other cup as opposed to running a length through the headband. No other mods were done.

The end result: The sounds explode fourth. The DT 990's are now a totally different animal. It’s a pretty good increase on all fronts but mostly in the bass frequencies. It was very noticeable and well worth doing. I was a little disappointed in hearing the stock 2006 DT990’s for the first time. But now they reign supreme IMHO.
rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 8
Mouse tails you tell me surely;-}

Wow, this does look like something very cool to do!

Mind my asking the total parts cost?

And in what way was the bottom end benefited if you could further describe it, to your ear?

Thanx and enjoy~

I'll add I too have had very positive peak listening experiences with these 990s when coupled to my Foreplay Pre/HeadFive with an unheard of before wide headstage presentation. Totally different than with the 701s which was also pleasing in its own way but not as spectacular as with the 990s. I suspect the tube pre had much to do with it of course, and the recording too presupposed. However, that potential has to reside in the headphones themselves of course.

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 8
So, Mikey01 and you other modders, where do you purchase the cable you use?

Also, Mikey01, how difficult do you think it is to recable headphones? Is that an expert-only job, or something a novice with some experience a soldering gun could do?

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, Mikey01 and you other modders, where do you purchase the cable you use?

Also, Mikey01, how difficult do you think it is to recable headphones? Is that an expert-only job, or something a novice with some experience a soldering gun could do?

recabling is pretty simply. if i can do it, you can do it, too
cool.gif

cardas from Moon-Audio. Drew is a very nice guy to deal with.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 8
cantsleep is right - recabling is pretty straightforward. the only difference between doing it yourself and having someone else do it is aesthetics. meaning with experience you latch on to some tricks and ways to make the job look clean and professional. you also have to be careful taking headphones apart and not force anything. doing something like the 990s is a bit more involved in that you have to drill a hole into the right side ear cup. not everyone is comfortable in doing that kind of a mod.
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 8
I bought the cable locally at $20 for 20 feet. Tekflex (black n beige) $6, 1/4 plug $5, heat shrink, $5 at Parts Express. Is brain surgery easy? Yeah, for a brain surgeon. But most people can handle this pretty easily. As far as the bottom end is concerned, more bass pronunciation, bass is more dominant than before.
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 8
if only i had the "This Thread Is Useless Without Pics" smiley
biggrin.gif

post up pix man... ive been thinking of doing the same thing to mine but with Canare L-4E6S instead as thats the easiest cable to get here. but like warrior05 said...its more involved and not everyone is comfortable doing the mod. the cans costs me quite a bit of money and alot of driving time to get.

im also curious to know if anyone has ever done it with the Canare L-4E6S. wonder how itll sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back