Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Nov 29, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,201 of 1,215
Thanks for the reply. Man that's a buzzkill as it is a deal breaker. I can appreciate that you can browse folders, but that's just not something I really want to do. I'm at a point where I just want an easy life, not workarounds :D Actually that's why I was initially attracted to this player, as it seems very simple and focused. Sad that they cannot fix this as it seems perfect otherwise.

I will definitely keep you updated if I get the x3ii. I just need to know if that pitch issue is there at 44.1, as that would also be a deal breaker :D

Looks like it will be the V1-A, although there isn't a massive thread on this so not much info. There might well be some deal breaking flaws there too. Sigh :)

Yep, if I have learned anything over the years it's that we all choose how to listen to our music differently, and I can understand deal breakers. There was a time I could not live without OTG playlist building, this feature has become less important to me as I got older. I actually listen to a lot of music on my screenless DAPs these days, choosing instead to take 5mins in the morning to pick and choose what I want out of my main library on the PC and copying those files across to the player.

I believe the AP100 has OTG playlist building support as well, even from folders and not just tags, but I'd have to check that to be sure.

The only other player that has made my ears twitch is the new rerelease of Cowon's i9+ player. I think its just called HiFi or something now? Anyway... Hi Res support and 128gb internal storage with 40g of weight (meaning amping is feasible if need be) and Jet Effect to boot. I never really felt like I needed an amp for the IEMs I used when I had the i9+ but I really enjoyed that EQ and it also has OTG playlist support (well it did, dunno if this new one does or not as well). Maybe that is also of interest to you?

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #1,202 of 1,215
Thanks for the suggestion! But looks like a no-go as it's capacitive touch interface only. I am only considering the V1-A as it has buttons for all main functions as well as touch screen which I guess is ok for browsing the lib. I absolutely detest touch interfaces - they fail the basic requirement of an interface for my needs which is being able to use it without looking! I mostly don't need the kinds of features people get really excited about with these things. I really just need solid playback, half-decent battery life and a good interface with no irritating limits like wrong pitch (I cannot fathom how some people accept this - accepting the 5800 file limit I can understand a bit more).

Strangely I have a very old Cowon hard disk based player, I liked it a lot back in the day. Maybe I should look into putting an SSD in it :D

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,203 of 1,215
Thanks for the suggestion! But looks like a no-go as it's capacitive touch interface only. I am only considering the V1-A as it has buttons for all main functions as well as touch screen which I guess is ok for browsing the lib. I absolutely detest touch interfaces - they fail the basic requirement of an interface for my needs which is being able to use it without looking! I mostly don't need the kinds of features people get really excited about with these things. I really just need solid playback, half-decent battery life and a good interface with no irritating limits like wrong pitch (I cannot fathom how some people accept this - accepting the 5800 file limit I can understand a bit more).

Strangely I have a very old Cowon hard disk based player, I liked it a lot back in the day. Maybe I should look into putting an SSD in it :D

Again I hear ya, touch screens on a music player drove me nuts and is why I ended up with an AP100 in the first place. Eventually I think I must have adapted, to the point that if I take 5mins to choose my music in the morning (effectively make a playlist) and then copy said playlist to sd card and insert in a DAP then I don't need to touch any darn button for the rest of the day, perhaps just volume!

What is the V1-A may I ask, I have not heard of this one?

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,204 of 1,215
Again I hear ya, touch screens on a music player drove me nuts and is why I ended up with an AP100 in the first place. Eventually I think I must have adapted, to the point that if I take 5mins to choose my music in the morning (effectively make a playlist) and then copy said playlist to sd card and insert in a DAP then I don't need to touch any darn button for the rest of the day, perhaps just volume!

What is the V1-A may I ask, I have not heard of this one?

Tempotec V1-A, there are some reviews here but no big user thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-v1-a.23908/reviews

From what I've read about it so far, it actually seems pretty amazing for the money.

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #1,205 of 1,215
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #1,206 of 1,215
Looks fun... a bit too minimal for me! My all time favourite was the Clip+ and it's maybe the fact that this isn't made any more that I'm looking for a new DAP. Mine was stolen and since then I've been using phone... but I'm sick of that now :D

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #1,207 of 1,215
I work in ikkoaudio now,This is the company I founded with my friends。
haha,
IKKO OH1、IKKO OH10、IKKO ZERDA(MFI,CS43198)、IKKO OH7、(ITM-05,CS43198*2)。。。

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,209 of 1,215
Thanks, will look into that.

I've no doubt about value for money. I've been pairing a Walnut V1 ($30) with a Fiio A1 ($30) amp for the past year and been very content with sound quality :)

I have the TempoTec V1 (same as the V1A except it has no headphone jack, transport or Bluetooth player only). Features wise it is outstanding value, Bluetooth 5.0 with LDAC, HiBy OS with MSEB EQ, 2 card slots that accommodate 256gb each, battery will last 20hrs or more unless the DAC/Amp you use draws from its battery.
I use the Bluetooth function or plug it into the E1DA 9038s DAC/Amp and find it amazing to listen to such good sound for so little money. (V1A <100 and E1DA also <100).

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,210 of 1,215
I have the TempoTec V1 (same as the V1A except it has no headphone jack, transport or Bluetooth player only). Features wise it is outstanding value, Bluetooth 5.0 with LDAC, HiBy OS with MSEB EQ, 2 card slots that accommodate 256gb each, battery will last 20hrs or more unless the DAC/Amp you use draws from its battery.
I use the Bluetooth function or plug it into the E1DA 9038s DAC/Amp and find it amazing to listen to such good sound for so little money. (V1A <100 and E1DA also <100).

Yes I'm very tempted by it, although I think the battery life on the V1-A must be lower due to the presence of extra analog components. But anyway I can't get away from the fact I hate touch screens! Some thinking for me to do for sure. I think I'm leaning towards xduoo x3ii because it seems it does not have the pitch issue the x3 had. It's a real shame the AP100 has the file limit in its database - if it wasn't for this it would be a clear winner for me.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #1,211 of 1,215
I can buy a used AP100 FOR 75 USD. Is it still a good price for AP100 today or should I consider some other DAP for under 200 USD? And I'd also like to ask if AP100 is still good enough comparing today's DAPS. I should mention that I already own a LG v20 and I enjoy it. But I'd appreciate any better sound AP100 offers over LG v20.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #1,212 of 1,215
I can buy a used AP100 FOR 75 USD. Is it still a good price for AP100 today or should I consider some other DAP for under 200 USD? And I'd also like to ask if AP100 is still good enough comparing today's DAPS. I should mention that I already own a LG v20 and I enjoy it. But I'd appreciate any better sound AP100 offers over LG v20.
I still think the AP100 is a boss player, the dedicated EQ and SRC buttons are really something. The only issue I have with my one is it's battery life is painfully bad now and needs replaced, so I'm thinking yours may also be quite poor considering the age of the player. It was only rated for 10hrs on release, I can't imagine any new or used AP100 lasting even 3hrs now (which is about the max I get).

I think I heard you can change the battery out and replace with another, it might have been a Samsung Note battery... but I really have no idea. Lemme know if you find out! Would love to resurrect the guy!

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,213 of 1,215
I still think the AP100 is a boss player, the dedicated EQ and SRC buttons are really something. The only issue I have with my one is it's battery life is painfully bad now and needs replaced, so I'm thinking yours may also be quite poor considering the age of the player. It was only rated for 10hrs on release, I can't imagine any new or used AP100 lasting even 3hrs now (which is about the max I get).

I think I heard you can change the battery out and replace with another, it might have been a Samsung Note battery... but I really have no idea. Lemme know if you find out! Would love to resurrect the guy!
Thanks for the reply.
What I don't like about LG V20 vs a its bass performance. I used to plug in some Shure SRH 440 and AKG K240 sextett to the head phone out of my old Pioneer and Kenwood stereo amplifiers. There was some hiss. However bass performance was superb, so tight and controlled even when they had high output impedance. I don't mean that bass performance of LG V20 is bad or loose but not on par with the stereo amplifier, at least it's weak in amplitude. In all other areas except this bass, LG v20 excels. Am I supposed to get similar bass performance of stereo amplifier from AP100?

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,214 of 1,215
Thanks for the reply.
What I don't like about LG V20 vs a its bass performance. I used to plug in some Shure SRH 440 and AKG K240 sextett to the head phone out of my old Pioneer and Kenwood stereo amplifiers. There was some hiss. However bass performance was superb, so tight and controlled even when they had high output impedance. I don't mean that bass performance of LG V20 is bad or loose but not on par with the stereo amplifier, at least it's weak in amplitude. In all other areas except this bass, LG v20 excels. Am I supposed to get similar bass performance of stereo amplifier from AP100?
I can't really comment on SQ as I find it very subjective at times. I think what matters more is the adaptability of a DAP. I believe the AP100 has a hardware EQ vs software which some really rave about. You have up to 8 custom slots to tinker with EQ and one push of the EQ button during now playing will toggle you through those various EQ's in realtime with no delay. That's what I think is the real benefit of the AP100. It's such a shame Hidiz ditched this feature on their latter players, it was for me their distinguishing selling point that put them a notch above the rest. If I were shuffling all of my tunes and went from classical to rap or something, I could toggle the EQ from something that suited the two genres better than just leave in neutral, all from the pocket without needing to interact with the player other than a one click of the button. Wish more DAPs thought like this...

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,215 of 1,215
I can't really comment on SQ as I find it very subjective at times. I think what matters more is the adaptability of a DAP. I believe the AP100 has a hardware EQ vs software which some really rave about. You have up to 8 custom slots to tinker with EQ and one push of the EQ button during now playing will toggle you through those various EQ's in realtime with no delay. That's what I think is the real benefit of the AP100. It's such a shame Hidiz ditched this feature on their latter players, it was for me their distinguishing selling point that put them a notch above the rest. If I were shuffling all of my tunes and went from classical to rap or something, I could toggle the EQ from something that suited the two genres better than just leave in neutral, all from the pocket without needing to interact with the player other than a one click of the button. Wish more DAPs thought like this...
I almost never use equalizer but I could try with AP100 since it's hardware. I still cannot really decide if I need Ap100 however I'll make some A/B testing against LG V20 before buying and share my ideas here. Seller says battery is in mint condition but I can never know.
Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back