Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Jul 31, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #646 of 1,215
  Guys I will be posting an indepth review of the AP100 in the near future, should I provide just a link to it here, or c/p the review into this thread? My feelings are that perhaps what I have to say will spawn further discussions that might be useful info to prospective buyers and users, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes!

Perhaps it's better to have a separate review posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hidizs-ap100-portable-hifi-audio-player and provide a link when it's up for further discussion in this thread.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #647 of 1,215
  Guys I will be posting an indepth review of the AP100 in the near future, should I provide just a link to it here, or c/p the review into this thread? My feelings are that perhaps what I have to say will spawn further discussions that might be useful info to prospective buyers and users, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes!

Better open a new thread just for your review. This way people can interact with you and discusss whatever has to be discussed. Of course you can then provide a link to it here and of course, also post the review where twister said.

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #649 of 1,215
Bonsoir from Paris,

I can hear some little electric noise (some click) when I for example I switch on, fast or back forward. Tried several headphones and iem. It's the same.
ANd now of course, i'm focusing on these clicks.

Issue in my model or something generic that everybody have ?

Thanks
Hieraklion

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #654 of 1,215
Bonsoir from Paris,

Continuing to discover the AP100. I connected the AP100 to my HeadPhone amplifier (Atoll HD100).
I have question on interconnection to another device.

Using Hidizs coax output, SRC and EQ are ineffective. Normal ?
If yes, how I can use the AP100 as a source only and use the DAC and amplifications of the Atoll ?

because if I well understood, connecting the lineout of the AP100 to my Atoll (using modulation cables) the used DAC device is the Hidizs and the amplification is the Atoll one.

My point is to use the Hidisz has a source only (like i connect the PC and the Atoll using USB).

Thanks
Hieraklion

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #656 of 1,215
I have a AP100 question :)

What is the SRC button really doing? So far I am playing just 320kbps mp3 files, according to the file info these are 16bit 44.1 files. Why is the SRC button able to scale up and above this? Shouldn't it just match the file? The sound definitely changes as I mess around with the various SRC modes so what is it doing exactly? It can't turn 16bit to 24 bit etc... so what's happening? What's the point really, shouldn't an automatic 'match' to the file be more appropriate than user selectable? The only benefit I see is that if yer playing 24 bit 192 files you could down sample playback to 16bit 44.1... (perhaps for more battery life?)...

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #657 of 1,215
From a french forum

-24/88.2 : plus dynamique, medium légèrement en retrait
-24/96 : scène moins large, medium plus en avant, aigus moins prononcés
-24/176.4 : scène étendue, medium en retrait
-24/192 : scène plus large, moins précis mais très dynamique

Trying to translate :

24/88.2: More dynamic, slightly set back medium
24/96: less wide scene, medium more forward, less pronounced treble
24/176.4: scene area, set back medium
24/192: wider scene, less precise but very dynamic

not yet tested ...

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #658 of 1,215
Hi Hidizs fans! Question: does anybody did a direct compare to the Cowon D2 or other Cowon players? My experience with that player is very positive, been using it for 7 years now. Only thing is that I'm disliking (apart from a full 100% Rockbox support) is that it is quite limited in filesupport (lacks apple lossless for instance). Most important is off course the soundquality which is very good combined with the HIGHLY recommended Ultrasone pro 550. Would the Hidisz (despite its mediocre batterytime) be an upgrade over de d2 (with d2+ firmware) IN TERMS OF SOUNDQUALITY?

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #659 of 1,215
I might be able to weigh in and offer my 2 cents.

I am an avid Cowon lover, having owned many Cowon DAPs in my lifetime. I still have a i9+ and C2 as well as being a AP100 owner.

In my personal opinion, Sound Quality is in the eye of the beholder... or should I say ear.

My journey with sound kinda goes like this (from earliest to current);

- Rockboxed Sansa Clips = Amazing value, but sound always sounded a tad 'dull' (even when EQ'd somewhat)
- Cowon DAPs = Far greater DSPs, the choice of finding a sound signature that you like is probable.
- Alien Shozy = Wow... complete transparent background, completely black, no hiss at all. You can't even tell if the device is on or off! This device now highlights how hissy Cowon and Sansa DAPs are, especially when using DSPs on either device. Sound from the Shozy is flat, balanced but engaging, kinda soft but airy, makes everything I threw at it sound great. But only supports FLAC and WAV which is just annoying.
- Hidizs AP100 = Black background like the Shozy, same kinda quality as the Shozy but a different sound signature. I prefer it, but it's really dependent on listener. The addition of an EQ imo trumps the Shozy as now if you have any records or albums that weren't recorded great you can compensate with some tweaking.

In summary I used to abuse the hell out of Cowon's DSPs (Jet Effect and BBE), but now I tend to hear it somewhat 'artificial', preferring a more neutral sound with just slight tweaks to EQ here or there to compensate for certain albums/tracks.
There's no denying it, if I play a certain track on a Shozy, although it sounds great, if I take that same track and play it on the AP100, I can get it to sound even better, even if it's just pushing or decreasing bass a couple of notches etc.
The EQ button on the AP100 has been something I have sought after for years, the only other DAP I know of to implement such a button would be the Cowon E2 (and its not the same kinda thing really).

FWIW I have abx tested (on foobar) FLAC vs 320 and hear no difference, I use MP3's on the AP100. I may try FLAC later on and see if I think I hear an audible difference between the two on the AP100 but I doubt it.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #660 of 1,215
Thx BruceBanner! That helps. It is my perception that the difference between mp3 and flac on a Cowon d2 is minimal (with mp3 enhance on). Total different story on a serious high end loudspeaker systems BTW. May I ask which headphones you use with the Hidizs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back