REVIEW: Octet Matrix DE7 monitor speakers (a HeadFi Exclusive review)
Oct 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #31 of 78

Quote:
How do these fare against the PSB Imagine Mini's?

Good question. I haven't had the pleasure of trying those out yet, so I can't make specific comments. Obviously the Minis are more compact so they may fit in certain situations where the DE7s would not. But the Minis are also rear ported, which negates a bit of the benefit to having such a small size. I can't find an FR chart to compare but I suspect low frequency extension would be superior on the DE7. And obviously there is a price difference.

PSB is a speaker company that I greatly admire, and every speaker I've ever heard from them was enjoyable. But beyond that I can't say. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #32 of 78
The promised review has finally arrived! I received these speakers a few days ago, and it was love at first listen. In fact, the reason why this review took so long to get up was because I completely revamped my setup so that I could rebuild it around these speakers. Anyway, I apologize for the picture quality, all I had on hand was my iPhone. 

First! A quick money shot with the beautiful, glossy finish on the DE7. These speakers are seriously hefty for their size, and build quality is outstanding. Since P86 already posted plenty of glamour shots, I'll just post one crappy pic as proof that I actually own these =) 

Anyway, moving on to my current setup... it's definitely not ideal, I'm using these speakers as desktop speakers, but even with the crappy placement, they sound heads and heels above my old M-Audio AV40's. I had thought my AV40's were pretty decent desktop speakers. They're generally highly rated for their price point ($140 street price, $200 MSRP), and are considered "reference monitors". However, as soon as I hooked up the DE7's, it was obvious that they were in a completely different league. Before we continue, here's a pic of my current desktop audio setup... 

Receiver: Denon AVR 1910
Primary System: Pure Acoustics Supernova 5.0
Subwoofers: Energy S10.3 (10 in) and Acoustech H-100 (12 in)

And if you care, here's my overall home theater/home office setup... this gives you a decent idea of the acoustic properties of my room. Previously, the receiver was located underneath my projector screen. Over the weekend, I completely redid my wiring scheme so that I could move the receiver to my computer desk (underneath my Dell 30 in monitor), and bundled the cables together with wire loom. 

Okay! Moving on to the juicy stuff. The DE7s are actually set up as my "Zone 2" speakers at the moment. While all of the speakers are connected to the receiver, I can quickly and easily switch between home entertainment and desktop systems. It's also important to note that both of my subs still output sound while in the "Zone 2" mode, so essentially I'm running a 5.2 and a 2.2 system independently. The audio inputs are HDMI for home theater mode and optical in for desktop mode. 

As soon as I received the speakers, I did a quick A/B listening test with my AV40's. The DE7's aren't even comparable. They blew the AV40's out of the water. The AV40's sounded hollow and tinny in comparison. I feel like my entire listening horizon has moved forward. All I could really think was  "This is what true audiophilia feels like" (which is probably not even close to true). I'm a relative noob when it comes to being an audiophile, I've always had a taste for good speakers, but I feel like this is the first time I've really taken the plunge into something higher end. The highs are crisp, the mids flow incredibly smoothly, and the bass is punchy without being overbearing. Of course, since I have 2 subwoofers, a lot of the low end is taken over by them, but even with the subs disabled, the DE7's hold their own quite well. With the AV40's, there was an artificial bass boost built into the amp. While this did increase the volume of the lower end, it was easy to tell that the frequency response dropped off dramatically. With the DE7's there's no such feeling at all. The low end rolls off incredibly smoothly, with a perfect balance that I've never really experienced before. The combination of clarity, and smooth frequency response really puts these speakers in a different league. Furthermore, they blend very well with my subs as well, although they hold their own just fine. Separately, these speakers aren't super picky about placement and are relatively versatile. 

Even versus my Pure Acoustics system, which is a full sized, full range system, the DE7's never sounded lacking. In fact, the clarity is noticeably superior. Of course, my Pure Acoustics system isn't exactly top end, although the quality is comparable to the mid range Polk home theater systems. My Pure Acoustics system replaced my old Energy Take Classic 5.1 system, and are at least a couple steps above the much smaller Energy Take Classic system, which retails at $400. 

Overall, for $350, I am very happy with my purchase. The only issue I have with my current setup is that the speaker placement isn't ideal. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the speaker placement, I'm all ears. Even with the not-so-ideal placement though, the sound stage is excellent. It feels somewhat airy and enveloping, instead of muffled and hollow like my AV40's. The sound stage definitely improves as you increase the listening distance though. Anyway, I hope this is helpful, I'm sorry I can't compare these to anything higher end, but I am confident in saying that these are the best speakers that I've ever owned. Thanks for reading!

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #33 of 78
If you guys don't mind, a question here.

I had an Audioengine A5's, but had to sell it because I was moving into a dorm, and I had my head phones and IEM so I didn't think much of it.

Now that I'm getting my own place, I want to invest in speakers again, and this seems like the perfect choice.

If I wanted to run these speakers, what other equipments do I need?

I have an Auzentech Prelude as my computer soundcard. Would I need a DAC or an AMP to run these speakers? (possibly both?)

Thanks in advance!

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #34 of 78
I'm running it via optical from my desktop to my receiver. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to run it directly from your sound card, you'd need an amp with speaker outputs. The LA-200 would pair very well with these if you want a super high quality amp with speaker outs. I'm just using my Denon AVR 1910 receiver, which is a mid-end home theater receiver. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #35 of 78
I have a really old Sony Home audio system. It is hooked into a 5.1 system, but it has many audio/video inputs such as optical, hdmi, and etc.

Is getting an amp better? or are receivers good as well?  (I'm thinking receiver as it can be used for more things later on)

but if amps are better, I'm okay with an amp.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #36 of 78
So a dedicated amp is only for powering your headphones/speakers, it still needs something to convert the signal from digital to analog (DAC conversion). Usually that would be your sound card. These speakers aren't powered though (no built in amp), and that's why they need a separate device to amp them. The LA-200 and your Sony receiver do both the DAC and amplification. I'm using just a regular home theater receiver like your sony, so that'd work just fine most likely. If you wanted to get fancy, like I said before, the LA-200 would fit the bill. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #37 of 78
Hmm I guess the tiny OPAMP on the card doesn't do much for these badboys eh?

I see...I think I can do what you're doing...in a similar way.

I can run optical from my sound card to maybe an amp/receiver, then from there, I use the speaker cables to connect to the speakers...right? ^^

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #38 of 78

Quote:
Hmm I guess the tiny OPAMP on the card doesn't do much for these badboys eh?

I see...I think I can do what you're doing...in a similar way.

I can run optical from my sound card to maybe an amp/receiver, then from there, I use the speaker cables to connect to the speakers...right? ^^

You might give this a try.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20127102-47/improve-the-sound-of-headphones-desktop-speakers-for-$39/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheAudiophiliac

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #39 of 78
Sounds correct to me.

The only thing that stands out is that you called it a "really old" Sony and then said it has HDMI. Maybe our definitions of "really old" are different, but if it has HDMI then it can't be that old. In any case, it should work fine.

Jelic - thanks for the impressions! I'm glad that you are as impressed as I am with the DE7s. It's the sort of thing where I wish it was feasible to send my pair around as a loaner (as I've done with other gear), so people could get a sense of just how much quality is in these little $349 boxes. 

EDIT: I was replying to the post before WarriorAnts. I'm not sure if the HM-101 is going to be any improvement at all over the Prelude soundcard. I'd go coaxial out straight to the Sony receiver.  

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #40 of 78

Quote:
Overall, for $350, I am very happy with my purchase. The only issue I have with my current setup is that the speaker placement isn't ideal. If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the speaker placement, I'm all ears. Even with the not-so-ideal placement though, the sound stage is excellent. It feels somewhat airy and enveloping, instead of muffled and hollow like my AV40's. The sound stage definitely improves as you increase the listening distance though. Anyway, I hope this is helpful, I'm sorry I can't compare these to anything higher end, but I am confident in saying that these are the best speakers that I've ever owned. Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the effort!  These little speakers sound intriguing.  Project86 always seems to find the good stuff no one else knows about...

If you are asking what it is you can do to improve the sound of your desktop setup I would say the answer is that you are just too close to the speakers.  Personally I am not a fan of near field listening even though I've had to mix for 24 years in near field environments. But desktop situations are what I call ultra near field.    It is my experience every speakers needs space to breathe, a lot more space than any desktop can provide.  If you have the room you can get a nice pair of stands for those beauties, move your desk away from the wall and set them up for listening behind the desk in that manner.  I know that seems awkward and perhaps not as ergonomic as you would like but more space means better soundstage, better definition, better frequency response.  

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #41 of 78
Thanks guys! I'm glad my review was somewhat helpful, honestly that was my first "real" speaker review lol. Hmm and WarriorAnt, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have the room in my apartment to move my desk forward much... it's hard to find the perfect balance between ergonomics and sound quality sigh. Also, having the receiver underneath the monitor puts it just a bit too high... where it's not terribly uncomfortable, but a bit annoying. If anyone has suggestions on how to better position all of my gear, I'd love to hear more suggestions. I might just go back to having the receiver next to my monitor... 

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #42 of 78
I know what you mean I have been trying to figure out a desk position that would allow me to have the desk away from the wall so I can try out the Mini Maggies.  as for your receiver making you screen to high you just have to forego  symmetry and move it over to one side or the other.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #44 of 78
Mmmmmmm..... Mini Maggies. If only I had the desk space for them.

Jelic, there is a key difference between "not quite optimal" and "terrible". Your setup might not deliver 100% of the potential that the DE7s have, but it should still be quite good. Contrast that with my computer desk, which is some big armoire thing that my wife picked out. I don't bother using anything nicer than the little $149 UFi UCubes because there's no point - even if something better would fit, I wouldn't sound much better.

So I guess my point is this: do what you can to adjust things until they are as good as you can get them, but ultimately be happy with your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back