[review] NuForce uDac-3
Jan 29, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #48 of 76
Does these work correctly now on Windows 10?
Can I set from Playback Devices 24-bit, 48khz without any problems?

I tried it just now. Yes it works fine.

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #49 of 76
My Nuforce u-DAC 2 literally just crapped out today (right channel went out) so I just ordered the Nuforce u-DAC 3 on sale at Amazon. I was a big fan of the 2 so I'm glad to read good things about the Nuforce 3.

It was so weird. Left channel went out, but the headphone output worked fine. Then the left part corrected itself, and the right went out. This (kind of?) sucks as I just got some new Mackie MR5 mk3 monitors that I was planning on using. Oh well, I guess.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #51 of 76
Ordered a red version of the uDAC-3 to go with one of my rigs with a red NZXT Phantom case. Just read that it can do limited DSD, what does 'limited' mean? DSD64 only? Not really important to me as I have 3 DAC's that can do DSD, just curious though....

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #52 of 76
I wonder if they just mean use software to convert to pcm on the fly... most dacs basically do this anyways.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #53 of 76
OK, so after buying a u-DAC 3 because my uDAC 2 crapped out, everything was working flawlessly until this weekend. The uDAC 3 has now crapped out. For some reason it kills the sound on any videos, files, etc. I've had nothing but problems for a week. I assumed it was a software issue, but after reformatting my computer 2 or 3 times, updating all drivers repeatedly, trying different setups, toggles, switches, etc. I've come to think that it's probably my DAC. The video also was giving me problems. 

I plugged in my Geek Out V2 and *knock on wood* I've had NO issues so far. (the sound is better too) I also unplugged it and tried the sound with the monitor speaker, and there were no issues either, so it PROBABLY is the DAC. I'm going to try to use the uDAC 3 with the ASIO driver and see if that fixes anything. Otherwise, I'm going to have to return this and try an alternate DAC. 

Really really really disappointing and crappy, especially since I love the DAC. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #54 of 76
   For some reason it kills the sound on any videos, files, etc. I've had nothing but problems for a week.

Specifically on videos on files? What about default windows sounds or something?

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #55 of 76

Specifically on videos on files? What about default windows sounds or something?

Default Windows sounds work fine, from what I can tell. The u-DAC 3 again crapped out today. Same issue....the signal lock drops out (along with audio), the signal lock DOESN'T drop out but the audio does, there's a delay in the audio coming on, Spotify freezes/freaks out and can't play stuff, and the videos freeze as well.

Unplugged the u-DAC 3 and plugged in a Geek Out 450 (as I had before) and *boom* all problems were solved. It's gotta be the DAC and it doesn't work well with Windows 10. Gonna probably return to Amazon and just use the 450 from now on until I upgrade later.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #57 of 76
  Could this just be a Win10 issue with the uDac3?

I called the manufacturer and asked them. They didn't know and had never heard of any Windows 10 issues. The problem is intermittent so it's not easily diagnosed. Sometimes you'll unplug it and plug it into a different USB port and the issue will be solved. Other times it won't be solved, even with a reset and a new USB port. It's weird. I spent hours trying to fix it to really no avail (reformatting, updating drivers, updating Flash, trying different browsers, tweaking settings, toggling switches, etc.). Did I mention it was also freezing YouTube videos? But for some reason Soundcloud was working fine. Spotify was not. Neither were my local music files.

It could be a faulty unit or Windows 10 issue. I literally have no idea. It went back to Amazon yesterday.

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #58 of 76
Is there anyway to play native 24bit content with this? I have tried setting it to 32bit in Windows but it won't playback anything anywhere. The ASIO they provide only has 16bit and 32bit (32bit doesn't work at all). In WASAPI set to 24bit, nothing will playback. It will either say "playback stopped" or the track would start but won't progress from 0:00 in foobar. I can only get it working with 16bit up to 96kHz.

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #59 of 76
UDAC-3 is back on Massdrop with lowest price $68.99.  Good to have as a backup?  I just got an Arcam rLink on eBay two weeks ago for my desktop - no USB, using optical from the Realtek chipset audio card.  I could throw this in instead and then have the optical DAC for other devices at home.

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #60 of 76
I actually just hooked my uDac-3 back up on my desktop. I have a uDSD from NuPrime, but needed the volume controlled rca outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back