Review: Ninewave(9w) Studio Pro W
Dec 12, 2011 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EpicPie

500+ Head-Fier
[Click any of the images you see in this review for a higher resolution image]​
Packaging:

Packaging for the Studio Pro W's Comes in a transparent plastic container, the earbuds sit inside the egg which also includes 3 sets of earpads and a user's manual behind the egg.

This would make a nice Easter gift.

Specs:
Driver Unit: 13.5mm dynamic transducer
Frequency Response: 20Hz 20kHz
Sensitivity: 110dB ± 3dB
Impedance: 32Ω ± 15%
Cable: 980mm
Plug: 3.5mm 24 gold plated
Weight: 12g ± 0.5g

Build Quality:
The build quality for the earbuds is outstanding as it features an incredibly durable all aluminium housing giving the product a very clean and pulchritudinous look.

The wire is a bit concerning though in terms of build quality. Feels like a cheap/generic iPod earbud cable though they've yet to be damaged through all the abuse Ive put these through since I received them.

Worth noting on the cable: Depending on how tall you are, the earbuds tug on your ears when walking with them if you put your DAP if your pants pockets. Getting a cheap extension is worth doing so to avoid the problem or by putting your DAP in a jacket pocket.

Bass:
The bass really surprised me in terms of the accuracy and punch, coming from a full sized headphone user I was really impressed to say the least.

While these only give you a rumble instead of an ear vibrating sensation you can get from a full sized headphone or IEM, these are quite satisfying regardless. While listening to genre's like Dubstep, Electro House, and Hardstyle I was very surprised at the clarity and detail of sub-bass and reverse bass.

Mids:
The midrange shapes the overall sound signature of this earphone to sound quite similar to the Grado SR-80i. The midrange is warm and forward, you really feel the presence and depth of both male and female vocals.

I greatly suggest listening to Orjan Nilsen - Redemption (feat. Arielle Maren) with the 9w Studio Pro's if you ever pick a pair up or have a chance to try a pair.

Highs:
The treble has a good amount of detail but seems to get a tad harsh when hitting higher frequencies. I found it only noticeable when listening to the earbuds with the volume turned up past 16 (Zune 1 - 20 volume scale).

Soundstage:
Soundstage on the Studio Pro is there, it's decent. Sound imaging is small, quieter details are rather hard to hear even while focusing on the sound. The soundstage is really the only weak point on these earphones but it's not a huge loss as there is still a good amount of instrumental separation when it's just melodies. You'll really hear the instrumental separation until vocals start playing over the melodies.

Armin van Buuren & DJ Shah ft. Chris Jones - Going Wrong (Armin van Buuren's Universal Religion Remix) is a good song to listen to for hearing instrumental separation, the depth and detail produced into the track is phenomenal.

Conclusion:
With a price tag of $129.99 the quality really shows. You shouldn't expect anything less that what Ive written in my review and coming from a full sized headphone user I think these earphones are definitely worth the price tag. This product has greatly impressed me as they've taken place of my Koss DJ100's for listening to Vocal Trance which is what I listen to almost 24/7.

All the NW-Studio Pro earphone models can be found for purchase here:
http://comradz.com/audio/

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Hey!

Do you have any other IEM's to compare to?  If not that is ok.

I generally like to see numbers in the review... its a great way to some up your opinion and more or less forces you to back it up.

If the Koss Pro DJ 1000 is a 7 in sound, where do you give these (for example) ?

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Hey!

Do you have any other IEM's to compare to?  If not that is ok.

I generally like to see numbers in the review... its a great way to some up your opinion and more or less forces you to back it up.

If the Koss Pro DJ 1000 is a 7 in sound, where do you give these (for example) ?

I don't have any other IEM to compare to.

If I have to rate these on a scale of 1-10, the 9w Studio Pro would be a solid 8/10.

Quote:
Also - did you use an amp with the Dj1000 's ??  I had a pair for about 2 days but couldn't stand listening to them without an amp.

I don't know why you keep saying DJ 1000, the headphone model is DJ100. haha

I use my GoVibe Martini+ amp with my DJ100's. I'm still finishing up my review for the Martini+ and i'll have that posted soon. :)

I can't stand using any of my headphones without an amp, only exception is the 9w's.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah good review.  I wonder how they compare to Sunrise AS-Charm ear buds.

Here are the details on them.

1. Driver: 15mmm
  2. Impedance: 150hm
  3. Sensitivity: 113±3 dB
  4. Cable length: 1.2m
  5. Frequency range: 20-24000Hz
  6. Connection: 3.5mm

I just ordered a pair and have the Yuin PK2s and BLOX M2Cs to compare them too.  Question is I guess, what is the justification in spending another $50, as the Charm's are only $80.

Charm's are supposed to be very similar to the Yuin PK1s.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Yeah good review.  I wonder how they compare to Sunrise AS-Charm ear buds.

Here are the details on them.

1. Driver: 15mmm
  2. Impedance: 150hm
  3. Sensitivity: 113±3 dB
  4. Cable length: 1.2m
  5. Frequency range: 20-24000Hz
  6. Connection: 3.5mm

I just ordered a pair and have the Yuin PK2s and BLOX M2Cs to compare them too.  Question is I guess, what is the justification in spending another $50, as the Charm's are only $80.

Charm's are supposed to be very similar to the Yuin PK1s.

Thanks. :)

I wouldn't know how they would compare though.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Just wanted to say that I found the ninewave 9w pros to be way overated. At a certain high mid frequency there was very obvious distortion, the cable broke after 1 month for me. I found them to not have a particular good bass sound and in fact were a bit high overall. Also they are a bit on the big side. I will say the headphone itself seems to be built really well and he high grade foam pads are nice. I much prefer the Yuin Pk2s which i feel have a very comfortable and pleasing sound signature. Just my two-cents as i felt a bit ripped of by ninewave. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back