REVIEW: Nighthawk F-117
Mar 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
Background:

It has been a while since I got my hands on a new component which has excited me enough to bother writing a review. Ironically, my last review was actually for a phonostage—The Eastern Electric Minimax Phonostage which has been my reference for the last four years and one of the most adored pieces of kit to ever grace my system.

I should start by saying, I was not in the market for a new phonostage. In fact, I had been a bit disconnected from “the gear” world for the last couple of years, but a new baby on the way threatens my speaker time and so I decided it to be the perfect excuse to attend the recent Head-Fi meet in New York, in search of a suitable headphone rig.

I ran into the manufacturer, Ray Sammuels at the meet, a great guy who I’d had numerous past interactions with at meets. I’ve always wanted to own a piece of Rays gear, and in fact almost purchased his XR-2 phonostage a few years back, but felt it was slightly bettered by the Eastern Electric I have been using—anyhow, I asked Ray what was new and exciting at Emmeline and, with a devilish grin he bent over and retrieved a tiny phonostage called “The Nighthawk”.

The product itself looked very cute and the adjustability appeared great, but what really piqued my interest was when he informed me that it was essentially balanced with mirror image circuitry but ran on a single lithium ion battery! My interest must have been very obvious at this point because he asked me what my analog front end was looking like these days and then offered up his personal unit for me to bring home and experiment with. In exchange for the loaner, Ray didn’t ask for a deposit or for a review to be written—he had one simple request: “this is my personal unit from home, so when you take it—maybe try not to scratch it.”
For the record my listening is done primarily via speakers and my associated equipment is composed of the follow:

Well Tempered Reference (arm and turntable)
Koetsu Rosewood Signature & Nagoaka MP-50
Nighthawk / Eastern Electric Minimax Phonostage
Eastern Electric Minimax Preamp
First Watt F1 (Rawson built)
Cain & Cain Abby Speakers

The Review:

For a point of reference, I have been using the Eastern Electric Minimax Phonostage in my 2 channel rig for more than four years without any desire to upgrade. For those of you not familiar with it, it retails at $1500.00 (nearly three times the Nighthawk’s price) and was extremely well received by analog enthusiast, being compared favorably by some publications (TAS iirc) to the Manely Steelhead. It provided me with a large, wide soundstage with very solid, meaty images and had great texture, tone and body throughout the frequency spectrum. It also did dynamics very well, micro and macro. In short it had the virtues I thought I needed. I actually wrote up a lengthy review on this piece on audioasylum should you desire further insight as to my feelings on the piece.

When I first swapped the Nighthawk into my system I had a Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge mounted on my tone arm. I was very much torn as to this cartridge as it was capable of providing a very textured, meaty almost moist midrange that could be very seductive at times, but ultimately couldn’t swing with my Minimax. After firing up my rig and giving the Nighthawk Ray’s suggested 15 minutes of warm up, I cued up my first album (lowest MC setting with load 100ohm to keep things fair). Allison Krauss’ New Favorite—still one of my reference recordings after six years!
I was greeted by a sound that was immediately a little less weighty but at the same time smoother and significantly more resolved. The Koetsu’s midrange extension and warmth met a much more ‘appropriate’ balance with this phonostage and I realized immediately how overly forward and unrealistically warm the midrange performance I had been hearing was. This is not to say the Minimax did anything bad or wrong (I often enjoy pieces on the warmer side of neutral) and it is possible that a different choice of tubes may have balanced things out better, but going tit for tat Ray’s little phonostage was equally liquid despite being more neutral which lent to greater clarity in this band. This balanced the frequency scale out nicely.

Swapping music to another reference of mine, Miles Davis’ Sketches of Spain, I was greeted with a more enjoyable presentation of top end information. I was hearing a bit more extension than I had grown used to and within it I heard more treble detail and air. The presentation was not bright and the additional top end resolution was a welcome addition to the very midrange oriented Koetsu’s presentation.

I don’t like commenting on bass performance due to the fact that I’m using single driver speakers without a subwoofer, but I will say the bass my Abby’s could handle was textured, punchy and quick.
One of my favorite things about the Nighthawk is the noise floor it puts out. I’ve got pretty efficient (95db) speakers and brutally revealing amplification and typically I could hear my Minimax’s sell noise as soon as I dialed my preamp to the turntable input. With the Nighthawk this input remains almost as quiet as any other idle input. It may not really be fair comparing an AC powered tubed unit to a DC powered solid state unit, but the noise floor is one of those things you don’t realize bugged you till you eliminate it.

Dynamics is an area where the Minimax really excelled for me. This is an extremely important category for me—possibly the most so of the audiophile sub categories for the reason that THIS is where I believe both emotion and fun factor greatly lie. My Firstwatt driven Abbys are capable of portraying dynamics really well, and in this system the Nighthawk was right there with the Minimax. With microdynamics, I feel the Nighthawk is just as effective at extracting those subtle inflections, such as in voices, which the brain registers as emotional content. It is also just as capable, perhaps better due to the noise floor, at racing from a whisper to a wail as my Minimax.
The things I’ve spoken of so far were pretty obvious in my head without going back and forth. Much of it is simply a matter of flavor and can come down to a person’s preferences. Warmer/cooler presentation, rolled/tipped up treble, etc., but there is one avenue in which the Nighthawk is absolutely superior and this presented itself immediately upon returning to my Minimax. That avenue is resolution.

Many times in high end audio, I’ve found that in attempting to extract additional resolution I often lose big in terms of musical enjoyment. This is not the case here, this phonostage brings forth a tremendous amount of subtle details and nuisances in pieces—some things I didn’t even know existed or was only vaguely aware of. Most impressively, the extra information it conveys is musically significant! That is, you get the adjectives to satisfy the audiophile while maintaining the virtues that keep the music lovers toe tapping. Very cool.

For me the Nighthawk provides the content for both the emotional and excitement cues that the Minimax wooed me with. What it adds to the equation is a lower noise flood, significantly greater resolution, neutrality and a TON of adjustability. I didn’t comment on that much here because I didn’t play with it much and left the loading the same so the comparison would be fair, but the Nighthawks adjustability makes a significantly wider range of cartridges possible (i.e. Van Den Hul carts weren’t an option for me with Minimax) which is very cool.

I think Ray has hit a home run with this piece and I suspect it will do very well, especially at its introductory price. I feel it offers terrific performance, NOT terrific performance ‘for the price’. When I first heard the Nighthawk in my system I thought it would be a great piece to own alongside my Minimax, but after swapping back to the Minimax from the Nighthawk, it was clear I could be content with just the little guy. As I type these closing words, my Minimax is boxed up and by my front door ready to be shipped out tomorrow to its new owner.

Great job, Ray!

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 13
Nice review, and well thought out. The Nighthawk revealed all the flaws in my Ortofon Blue M2 cartridge and GEMsound PL-USB preamp, and it's getting along much better with my new BENZ ACE RED L cartridge now (which I am breaking in with more enthusiasm now).

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 13
Very nice review! Well written and a nice read.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 13
No problem, guys. Its an exciting piece for me.

I forgot to mention it above, but the Minimax was outfitted with 2 Groove Tube 12ax7-M (Mullard re-issues) in the outer position and a NOS Telefunken in the center.

May 16, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 13
Gopher,

Which carts did you use over the years with your MiniMax?

I've finally gotten around to putting my MiniMax back in the rig after using the Nighthawk quite a bit. The Nighthawk was gelling so well with the Ortofon Rondo Bronze cart that I forgot about the poor MM.  Just picked up a Jico SAS MM-1 and a Technics 1200 to play around with. After grooving with the MiniMax for awhile, I'm being reminded of why I liked it in the first place.  The Nighthawk definitely does some things better, but I'm thinking that I may hold onto both units since I have a few TT's:

- Technics SL1200mkV / Jico MM-1
- Marantz TT-15 / Clearaudio Virtusoso Wood (or Rondo MC)
- Linn LP-12 / Technoarm / Ortofon Rondo Bronze

May 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Gopher,

Which carts did you use over the years with your MiniMax?

I've finally gotten around to putting my MiniMax back in the rig after using the Nighthawk quite a bit. The Nighthawk was gelling so well with the Ortofon Rondo Bronze cart that I forgot about the poor MM.  Just picked up a Jico SAS MM-1 and a Technics 1200 to play around with. After grooving with the MiniMax for awhile, I'm being reminded of why I liked it in the first place.  The Nighthawk definitely does some things better, but I'm thinking that I may hold onto both units since I have a few TT's:

- Technics SL1200mkV / Jico MM-1
- Marantz TT-15 / Clearaudio Virtusoso Wood (or Rondo MC)
- Linn LP-12 / Technoarm / Ortofon Rondo Bronze

Sorry for the delay, I never noticed this post before.

Over the years I used the Dynavector 20xL (which I reviewed the Minimax with), Denon DL-103 (which wasn't optimal on my JMW-9 tonearm due to a compliance mismatch--but still sounded good) and a Koetsu Rosewood Signature.

All sounded good, but my favorite was the Dyna.  The Rosewood Sig with tubes, even tubed to the drier side, was just too much of a good thing.  

I thought about keeping the Minimax.  I love(d) it but the reality is that I'd never really swap back and forth and the Nighthawk adds refinement and adjustability without losing on emotion.  Its a trade off, sure--very good tube vs. very good solid state, but in the end I stand by my decision to keep the Nighthawk.

May 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 13
No problem, Gopher.  All is cool!

I've only tried two MC's with the MiniMax: the Dynavector 10x5 (HOMC) and the Ortofon Rondo Bronze.  The 10x5 wasn't my cup of tea but it ended up making someone else happy.  The Rondo at .5mv just makes it for me output-wise, as I'm running fairly ineffiecient speakers (Gunned MMG's) and 60W tube amps (Six Pacs).

The Nighthawk worked well for me right out of the box and I basicially shelved the MiniMax for a month.  Once I swapped back, I definitely heard a bit of the "tube magic" in the midrange.  I thought about selling the MiniMax but I've built a nice little stash of 12AX7/5751's and want to have something to use them in. Currently trying a pair of Raytheon Windmills with a Valvo-Holland 12AX7.

The Nighthawk gives me some extra gain on the front end, which is useful with MC carts, and it's quiet. Thinking of trying a Denon DL-103 with it.

For now, I'm keeping both.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 13
The Denon 103's match well with the Nighthawk.  I own both a DL-103D and a Zu 103 Grade 2 Prime that I use with mine.  

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 13
I've been running the DL-103R (on a recently re-wired SL-1200 arm into the Nighthawk) and the results have so far been good.  More than enough gain. Still breaking things in, so I alternate between the 100 and 500 ohm settings depending on the source material.  

Did you resolve your cart/TT combo issue? I've been following your post on AA with some interest.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 13
What I have been going through has been hard to put a finger on.  My turntable sounds wonderful and drops jaws of most who have heard it, but somehow I feel the presentation of my digital rig has been more exciting then my very accomplished analog rig.  

My solution for the time being has been using the much higher mass, lower compliance Zu 103 in place of the DL-103D.  The presentation has a good bit more drive and excitement now at the expense of a little bit of resolution and overall organic quality.  Marginal loss and more fun to listen to now.  I think the fluid damped tone arm matted with the high compliance cart was just a little too low energy, despite all it was doing right.

That said, I know my carts, nighthawk and Wywire phono cables are extremely capable and am toying with experimenting with a different table/arm combo.  I'm all over the board as to where to go, whether to try a direct drive vintage table or a new table garnering a lot of interest like a Well Tempered Amadeus or VPI Classic.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back