Review: New Mylarones - X3i and XBi
Dec 12, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #76 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by aureus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how would you rate the sound and compare the new phones to the old ones?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's too early to tell, got em just today.
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing is for sure - even on the fresh XBi/X3i the soundstage is very good. More or less the same as on my old XBs after ~200 hours of usage.

Comfort is slightly better, and they're far more stealthy since they don't stick out of the ears at all (I wear the cables up around the ears).

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #77 of 247
Ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thought some early imressions were possible, mine didn’t change that much after burn-in. Just to let you know. I think I’ve used them for about 150 hours now.
For me, comfort is somehow much better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #78 of 247
Can anyone compare the X3i to the PK3? And do the X3i respond well to EQing the bass up a lot (~10dB) ?

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #80 of 247
I was going to but some people say that although the bass is great, the mids and treble aren't as good as the X3. While I am a basshead, I do love good mids and highs. The PK3 EQs very nicely, I'm guessing the X3 should be able to do at least as well since it's a canalphone, right?

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #81 of 247
I'm very sure the crappy EQs on most DAPs will make the X3i sound more muddy than a non-EQed XBi. (Assuming you're getting them for portable use, that is.)

I've only had the XBi and X3i for a day now, but the difference between both is way smaller than the difference between the old X3 and XB.

Both the X3i and XBi have good bass and better clarity than the older models. The midbass hump of yore seems to be gone as well. At the moment I don't hear all that much difference between the XBi and X3i. Maybe this will change in a few days, maybe it won't...
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #82 of 247
Thanks for that info. I was actually against EQing with DAPs until I tried it with the iAudio7 + PK3. Excellent quality even at high volume.

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #83 of 247
Hmm.. that's the same Wolfson CODEC and EQ as in my Cowon D2. I'm not particularly fond of it, but it sure works better than many others. Then again, BBE Mach3Bass sure is the killer feature for bassheads (and sounds better than the EQ, IMO).
wink.gif

At the moments the new X3i seem to distort a bit with overly heavy doses of M3B... the XBi doesn't.

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #86 of 247
I was interested in getting myself a pair of Atrio M5s until I read about the X3i... I'm upgrading from EP-630s. IMO the bass is way too muddy, enough to give me a headache at times. And they sound lifeless compared to my KSC75s. Also, the highs are too harsh on certain albums (especially self-produced norwegian black metal from the early 90s).

So I am now looking for another IEM or canalphone that will fill my needs for isolation, comfort and warm sound that doesn't pierce your skull. It's for on-the-road listening so I think that Atrios may be overkill. It would also mean skipping an important step in my quest for ultimate sound (going from low-grade to high-grade, skipping middle-range).

HF experts, I am awaiting your verdict
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #87 of 247
There's only one thing I dislike about the X3i's... the crappy build/manufacturing. I'm going to regret making this purchase but the sound quality is definetly top notch. I just wish the wires, connectors were a little better built. oh well.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #88 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by jTF2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's only one thing I dislike about the X3i's... the crappy build/manufacturing. I'm going to regret making this purchase but the sound quality is definetly top notch. I just wish the wires, connectors were a little better built. oh well.

I just wish they used better glue!
2 weeks after i got them as a replacement of my old X3(both sides broke, like i posted in head-fi on other topic)the right side of my X3i broke too.
frown.gif

Oh well, I think I will try another product, can anyone compare the X3i with the ATH-CK7 and PK3?

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #89 of 247
Ever heard of super glue?
wink.gif

Yes, it is disappointing, but quite easy to fix. If you like the sound, I won’t try another product in the same / similar price range.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #90 of 247
Quote:

Originally Posted by aureus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever heard of super glue?
wink.gif

Yes, it is disappointing, but quite easy to fix. If you like the sound, I won’t try another product in the same / similar price range.

Yes, i know what is super glue and I will use it, but even with super glue my old X3 split again.

What I don't want is have to glue the X3i if they split again, it could happen when I'm far away from home, probably on a long trip, and if that happens it's not so easy to fix and it will be a very long and boring trip.

Probably from now forward I have always to carry super glue in my backpack, just in case
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back