Review: NAD Viso HP50
Mar 14, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #46 of 184
  I ended up returning my pair of HP50's. Nevertheless, its sound was very clear and slightly warm. However, I ended up preferring the Momentum's midrange presentation. It seems to just nail it in terms of vocal tonality. Also, the bass quantity, though accurate, on the HP50 was simply lacking in drum and bass while the Momentum had just the right amount of boost to transition through different genres with no sense of bass deficiency. Soundstaging on the HP50 was marvelous and very spacious making the Momentum sound somewhat congested in direct comparison. It is until you listen to the Momentum more and readjust to it you realize that it's not congested sounding, but rather intimate, forward and warm sounding. 

Ultimately, it boils down to preference between the two where the HP50 is a open, controlled and accurate sounding headphone while the momentum is a more laid back, rich and warm sounding headphone.

I had the same expereince as you had, I simply preferred the Momentum headphone over the HP50. :)
I didn't had the first expereince though, I ordered due to the rather hefty praise they had gotten online and I need to try more before jumping on that "order button" :wink:

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #48 of 184
How much bigger are the hp50 earpads in comparison to the momentum earpads?

It would be nice if someone could meassure the earpads and post the dimensions. I'm really worried about the size of the earpads and that's pretty much the only thing preventing me from buying the trigger and just go with the Momentum instead and accept that they're on-ears for me.

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #49 of 184

It would be nice if someone could meassure the earpads and post the dimensions. I'm really worried about the size of the earpads and that's pretty much the only thing preventing me from buying the trigger and just go with the Momentum instead and accept that they're on-ears for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646735/nad-viso-hp50-another-superb-headphone-from-paul-barton/300#post_9993843

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #50 of 184
I got one for a month, in Thailand only about $250. I prefer HP50 than my first and previous Grado SR225i. However I can't why. These are my second over/on ears.
Yes, confirm that at this price these are a steal!

Hi Ace,

Were did you buy the HP50 in Thailand?

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #51 of 184
I should have taken the shot when they were $150 on Amazon :frowning2:

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #52 of 184
I just picked these up refurbished for $220 on Audiogon after reading Inner Fidelity's amazing review of these headphones. Tyill is right-on. I am listening to Bruce Springsteen's concert in Brisbane (FLAC) through a Fatman iTube valve amp. My go-to cans were the HiFiMan 400s, but my first impression of the NAD Viso blows those out of the water. The soundstage envelopes you and the bass is right on, especially on The Rising track. The chorus and orchestra with full strings sound like you're front row in Australia. With the E Street Band, the chorus and full strings, you would think that Bruce's vocals would be muddled, but his voice sounds incredibly clear and strong in the middle of your forehead, right where they should be.

Happy Passover! 

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #53 of 184
  I should have taken the shot when they were $150 on Amazon :frowning2:

When was Amazon selling the HP50's for $150? I don't see any history of them ever selling at that low of a price according to camelcamelcamel or slickdeals.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #54 of 184

When was Amazon selling the HP50's for $150? I don't see any history of them ever selling at that low of a price according to camelcamelcamel or slickdeals.

Agreed. If you ever see the HP50s for 150, buy 2 or 3. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #55 of 184
Amazing how the op kind of said HP50 was the best thing since sliced bread, then a page later said he'd returned them.

Anyway, Momentums are better as lifestyle headphones.

May 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #56 of 184

EDIT: sorry I completely missed the thread name... those were Fidelio X1.. I need a rest..

May 1, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #57 of 184
Ah, now that makes more sense! I remember that Fidelio X1 Amazon 50% off sale but didn't jump on it. I didn't know much about them and didn't want another open-back headphone.

Regarding the NAD HP50's; I finally purchased a pair a few weeks ago after reading so much about them. I was looking for a more neutral closed headphone since I'm not happy with my DT-770 anymore and their piercing treble. I'm very pleased with the HP50 sound quality and how "open" they actually sound for being closed, though I'm curious how they'll sound with a little more break-in. Overall, they are actually very comfortable for me except for the occasional headband pressure point which is alleviated by just rotating the headband slightly forward. The soft ear pads feel great and create a nice seal for me since my ears are just small enough that they actually fit inside the pads. I realize these headphones are advertised for mobile/portable use but it would've been nice if NAD included a longer and less flimsy cable for home listening.

May 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #59 of 184
The only downside to the NAD Viso HP50 is that, structurally, they are a bit creaky, and those annoying microphonic intrusions find their way into the music. If only more care had been given to structural integrity in their design...I'd have kept them. Because the sound quality, generally, is just fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back