REVIEW: Musiland SVDAC06
Jul 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Aiml3ss

100+ Head-Fier
Musiland SVDAC06 Review

This review is about the sound quality of the device. I did not review about the functions available from the Musiland. This is coming as an edit later on. (I'm super uber busy!
wink.gif
)

2007428132323378.jpg

2007428132052851.jpg

About me: Just recently got into Hi-Fi music and equipment. I have never owned a standalone DAC or Amp prior to the 06. Basically I am a rookie when it comes to this kind of stuff. Since my ears aren't as trained as some people are on these forums my review could possible differ from person to person.

Equipment used: ATH-AD700 (100+ hours), Musiland SVDAC06 (Its been on for almost 2 weeks straight) and my trusty Macbook Pro.

The test: I listened to each song roughly 5 times each coming just from the line out on the MBP. Then I connected my 06 via USB and began to listen to the previous song. I tried to listen to the same song at roughly the same volume either it be straight from the MBP or from the MBP to the 06.

Songs: All music was ripped using Itunes into .WAV and then converted into AFLAC again using Itunes.

Third Eye Blind - Jumper

What I noticed when playing this song with the Musiland was that everything just has that extra snap. Drums sound so much more lifelike and exciting compared to the MBP line out. The kick of the bass from the drums is tighter but not so much more pronounced as I would of liked. The sibilance of Stephan Jenkins voice from the MBP was absolutely atrocious. Not anymore. The Musiland miraculously eliminates most of the sibilance that I heard. Probably the biggest improvement that I heard with the Musiland was the expansion and soundstage clarity. Yes it did improve the soundstage somewhat (Hard to believe on my AD700's) but it ABSOLUTELY improved the clarity of each instrument. Its quite amazing.

Summary: Every instrument and voices have way more clarity. Its as if someone has lifted a veil over my headphones. The parts where there is faint voices now sound like they are in the room with you.

Improvement: B+

Chris Botti - No Ordinary Love

Sound stage definitely improved on this sound. The bass guitar doesen't seem to be as distant as it once was. It honestly sounds like each instrument is playing around me. Coming out of just the MBP I could only tell where a couple of instruments were.. not anymore. I can pin point exactly where they are. Again, as with Jumper, the faint voices truly shine with the Musiland. I can't even express with words how awesome the sound.

Summary: Soundstage, accuracy, bass all increase to make a relaxing song even more relaxing.

Improvement: A

Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel

The biggest single improvement in this song was the crispness of the bass and the representation of it. From the MBP, the bass is there but I felt that it was lacking before. I just didn't get that fun factor that I did with just the MBP. The improvement of bass really makes this song one of my favorite songs to listen to with my new setup.

Summary: Everything from soundstage, clarity, bass tightness to more bass has been improved.

Improvement: B+

Would I buy another one?

Hell yes. He is absolutely the best seller I've ever worked with. Great customer service. You can find his shop here.

If you guys and gals have any other questions just let me know. Seriously just ask me! I'm a nice guy and would LOVE to try and answer your questions.

Thanks,

Andrew

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 26
Thanks. That is a good first review. Enjoy your dac/amp.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. That is a good first review. Enjoy your dac/amp.

No thank you for waiting so long. I tried to get this out the door ASAP.

Ya I guess it is a decent first review. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Again, if anyone has specific questions shoot em my way.

BTW, hows your project usb dac/amp rjoseph?

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 26
I wish I could write a small review about it but somehow I have not had the chance to sit down and start writing one. Been busy for the last couple of weeks. I will certainly try to get something done this weekend. So far I'm loving it. Quality stuff.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 26
Thanks for the review. I'm really contemplating a DAC purchase, and this is one of the forerunners for me because of the included amp. Not a lot of space in college for me to have 2 or more boxes lying around for music.

I'm mostly curious about how well it works with HD580s or something in that family, but I don't think you could help me there.
tongue.gif

I await your edit on the extra features though. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind snapping a picture of the Musiland when it's on? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the display.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

I wish I could write a small review about it but somehow I have not had the chance to sit down and start writing one. Been busy for the last couple of weeks. I will certainly try to get something done this weekend. So far I'm loving it. Quality stuff.

Take your time bro. No hurries. I bet the Project is equally as good as the Musiland. Maybe just in other areas. Who knows
duggehsmile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. I'm really contemplating a DAC purchase, and this is one of the forerunners for me because of the included amp. Not a lot of space in college for me to have 2 or more boxes lying around for music.

I'm mostly curious about how well it works with HD580s or something in that family, but I don't think you could help me there.
tongue.gif

I await your edit on the extra features though. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind snapping a picture of the Musiland when it's on? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the display.
smily_headphones1.gif

I highly recommend this Dac/Amp. I was in the exact same position as you. The outer shell of the device is very strong and can have all sorts of things set upon it. Thats what I will be doing anyways.

I can almost guarantee that it will improve the HD580 in almost every single category. Bass, highs, mids, soundstage, you name it. Clarity is one of the biggest improvement I have heard.

Here is a horrible picture I took.
tongue.gif

img0112r.jpg

About ever 5 seconds or so it changes to the volume which is numbered up to 30. Some people find that annoying but I like it. Doesn't bother me at all. And honestly, the red is very beautiful. Its also not bright at all at night. The faceplate really makes the lights more visible.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, thanks again Andrew.
smily_headphones1.gif

My name is Andrew too, haha

Great name.
biggrin.gif

I will have the updated review by the end of the week. I will also add some more details to the review when I get my Audioengine A5's next week.
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great name.
biggrin.gif

I will have the updated review by the end of the week. I will also add some more details to the review when I get my Audioengine A5's next week.
wink.gif

Nice first review! The difference is more subtle with the Audioengines as they aren't as transparent as a decent pair of headphones.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried just using the amp part with an mp3 player straight out of the headphone jack? if so can you give your impressions thanks

Hmm I'm not so sure what exactly you mean. Do you mean like connect the MP3 player to the Musiland and then to some headphones?

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I'm not so sure what exactly you mean. Do you mean like connect the MP3 player to the Musiland and then to some headphones?

yes
icon10.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 26
the digital volume is the only thing scaring me from asking a friend of mine try it out, especially since his speakers (A5s) already have a volume knob on it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 26
Im interested in buying this DAC, does anyone know how this one compares the the Zero DAC?

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the digital volume is the only thing scaring me from asking a friend of mine try it out, especially since his speakers (A5s) already have a volume knob on it.

I was too. But now that I have it, using the digital control is not really a big deal. The volume control is just fine. I leave the A5s at about 1/3 and I just use the Musiland volume control to adjust.

3706789392_26cd6d8ae6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back