Review: Modded iPod Classic 7G with 240GB HDD from eBay
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #137 of 194
Quote:
Not sure if anyone has come across this but I've also noticed a software glitch here and there with mine such as: When it says it's playing media but it's not. The play symbols shows but the track progress indicator does not move.

anyone experience this? 

Just figured it out - ELECKING said it was an occassional issue and he gave these instructions: They worked for me so hopefully anywone requiring help can use them - they worked for me. 

[size=10pt]Hi, please try to solve this issue as below:

1) hold menu and center button at the same time
2) when the apple logo comes on the screen, hit it a few times with the palm or, a cushioned chair (some people throw it)

3) it takes a few times, with me anyway.
4) the start menu should show or the USB plug photo(some say there is a sound before it gets fixed, but mine was quiet and frozen with the apple logo while I was hitting it)
5) songs should be intact
[/size]

[size=10pt] - elecking168[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]

[size=13.600000381469727px]I ACTUALLY THREW IT AT MY MATTRESS IN A DELIBERATE FACE UP MOTION, SO THAT THE BACK ALWAYS HIT. [/size]My theory is that the connectors to the harddrive (between the backplate and the HDD are loose, and hitting it in a non-damaging way (mattress, palm or couch cushion) provides enough kick to push it back into a more solid place.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #138 of 194
D2000,

Hitting it is not a good idea.

You can open up the iPod case and tighten up the hard drive connection yourself. I can not solder well yet I have successfully replaced the hard drive on my 5.5gen. It is not that difficult with the right case-opening tool.

You can google videos or photos regarding how to replace iPod hard drives, which will show you how to open iPod and disconnect/reconnect cables. Just be carefully not to damage the tiny pins connecting the two cables. They still can be fixed by those are tiny.

You may be able to find a local place that offers iPod repair too. But I would recommend doing some research and trying a few things yourself.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #139 of 194
Quote:
D2000,

Hitting it is not a good idea.

You can open up the iPod case and tighten up the hard drive connection yourself. I can not solder well yet I have successfully replaced the hard drive on my 5.5gen. It is not that difficult with the right case-opening tool.

You can google videos or photos regarding how to replace iPod hard drives, which will show you how to open iPod and disconnect/reconnect cables. Just be carefully not to damage the tiny pins connecting the two cables. They still can be fixed by those are tiny.

You may be able to find a local place that offers iPod repair too. But I would recommend doing some research and trying a few things yourself.

Thank you both for your detailed posts - I'll keep you all updated on what happens though the situation has not arisen since. I will immediately return to him (as he agreed that was okay) and get a refund. 

Cheers

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #140 of 194
Hey guys, after stumbeling across this Thread i wanted to check for my Ipod's Generation as well, but 3 different sources gave me 3 different answers. 
i have an black colored ipod 80GB.
according to Apple site it is a regular ipod classic 5th gen.
according to this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HEgu1meERM  i have 5.5 generation snce i have song search.
and according to this site http://techtips.salon.com/tell-generation-ipod-is-3225.html my ipod Classic is generation 6 because in step number 4. the last 3 letters on my serial code are YMV
now im totally confused, im pretty much sure it was written 5 on the box , few years ago when i got it..

in the buttom line, how can i distinguish 5th gen from 5.5
please help 
L3000.gif

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #141 of 194
Hey guys, after stumbeling across this Thread i wanted to check for my Ipod's Generation as well, but 3 different sources gave me 3 different answers. 
i have an black colored ipod 80GB.
according to Apple site it is a regular ipod classic 5th gen.
according to this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HEgu1meERM  i have 5.5 generation snce i have song search.
and according to this site http://techtips.salon.com/tell-generation-ipod-is-3225.html my ipod Classic is generation 6 because in step number 4. the last 3 letters on my serial code are YMV
now im totally confused, im pretty much sure it was written 5 on the box , few years ago when i got it..

in the buttom line, how can i distinguish 5th gen from 5.5
please help 
L3000.gif

Cheers!

Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer for you. It sounds like you have a 6gen based on your source #3.

My 5.5gen's serial number ends with YMV9R. I know it is a 5.5gen because Rockbox firmware for 5.5gen works for mine (that Rockbox version should not work for 6gen). I also searched my model number "A1136" along with "2006" (mine's back says 2006 Apple Computer" -- search result confirmed that it is a 5.5gen. Mine also has a EMC number that says "2065".

I suggest you to do a research based on those 3 numbers that I mentioned above.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #142 of 194
Quote:
Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer for you. It sounds like you have a 6gen based on your source #3.

My 5.5gen's serial number ends with YMV9R. I know it is a 5.5gen because Rockbox firmware for 5.5gen works for mine (that Rockbox version should not work for 6gen). I also searched my model number "A1136" along with "2006" (mine's back says 2006 Apple Computer" -- search result confirmed that it is a 5.5gen. Mine also has a EMC number that says "2065".

I suggest you to do a research based on those 3 numbers that I mentioned above.

may i please know how many GB your ipod had before the mod?

is it true that only 80gb worth moding cause its the only one with 64mb ram?
thanks.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #143 of 194

thanks.

My 5.5gen had 80GB before drive replacement (to 240GB).

7 gen 160GB iPod has 64MB RAM as well, IIRC.

None of the iPods has strong processor. My Sansa Clip+ under Rockbox runs faster than my Rockboxed' iPod 5.5gen 80GB--difference in CPU is ~300 MHz in Sansa vs. some 80 MHz in iPod, IIRC. Rockbox web site reveals hard ware spec of lots of mp3 players, you can take a look.

Using CF or SSD in iPods helps the speed slightly, but it is still slow in general (compared to my Sansa Clip+).

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #144 of 194
Quote:

thanks.

Good luck with your mod!

Just a word of warning: be very careful where the battery attaches to the logic board. It's easy to damage that connector by pulling the battery too hard, and that can mean you'll have to get a new logic board. Even with my considerable experience, I am very hesitant to open up a finished, working iPod - just doesn't make sense in the event something goes horribly wrong.

The 5.5 Gen and up can definitely be modded to 240GB capacity. I'm not sure if the firmware from previous generations will allow the iPod to recognize more than about half of the 240GB capacity.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #145 of 194
Just a word of warning: be very careful where the battery attaches to the logic board. It's easy to damage that connector by pulling the battery too hard, and that can mean you'll have to get a new logic board.

I broke 2 pins on my connector once and was horrified by the price of a new logic board. I said heck and tried to solder everything back myself (since I can still replace logic board as last resort). I did it successfully (but it was not easy)! I did it with my shaky hands that had only touched solder iron once in my life time and without any special tools (a magnifier would have helped a lot).

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #146 of 194
On the playing but not issue: that happens to me with rockbox (this is not a 240gb or anything mind you_ and I think it's just the song buffering/reading from the hard drive.

May 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #149 of 194
The catch is, the headphone jack sits a little higher off the back plate on the thicker version, so you may need to shim it to make it stable. But functionally it will work. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back