Review: Modded iPod Classic 7G with 240GB HDD from eBay
Jan 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #122 of 194
The Crystalmark results are below.  I believe Crystalmark uses incompressible data for it's tests, so I believe that it is a good representation of FLAC or MP3.  Both tests were performed on an Intel USB 3.0 controller.  I haven't really noticed a difference in speed between the two units.  I have had issues with the click-wheel on both units-- the click-wheel usually works fine if you mash it down hard in all directions.  I am pretty impressed with the unit.

160GB iPod 7G, bought from retail:

240GB iPod 7G, bought from eBay:

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #123 of 194
Quote:
The Crystalmark results are below.  I believe Crystalmark uses incompressible data for it's tests, so I believe that it is a good representation of FLAC or MP3.  Both tests were performed on an Intel USB 3.0 controller.  I haven't really noticed a difference in speed between the two units.  I have had issues with the click-wheel on both units-- the click-wheel usually works fine if you mash it down hard in all directions.  I am pretty impressed with the unit.

160GB iPod 7G, bought from retail:

240GB iPod 7G, bought from eBay:

Man that is some great data you've gathered there. Cheers to you. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #125 of 194
Well I've just taken the plunge and ordered one of these from elec-king on ebay. Reading through the comments here helped in my decision as they are mostly positive. Let's see how much, if anything, the Thai (I'm in BKK) customs decide they want to add to the cost. Otherwise it was actually slightly cheaper than buying an "official" 160gb one through apple.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #126 of 194
Quote:
Well I've just taken the plunge and ordered one of these from elec-king on ebay. Reading through the comments here helped in my decision as they are mostly positive. Let's see how much, if anything, the Thai (I'm in BKK) customs decide they want to add to the cost. Otherwise it was actually slightly cheaper than buying an "official" 160gb one through apple.

Looking forward to hearing your experience istanley. My replacement just got back today and the clickwheel is infinitely better, much more so than my original 160gb. Definitely must have been a fault with the first unit my guy (goldenpe) sent out. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #127 of 194
Arrived last night. Excellent packaging, no customs charges so I'm one up already. Appears to be in perfect condition. Synced it with iTunes (redundant statement I suppose as you don't have much choice). Still got 83 gb left! No problems yet, although I've only been using it for a few hours.

I've owned ipods before and sound wise this one seems like all the others to me. It's not as detailed as some of my other players. If I had to choose one word I would say it's a bit "light" sounding. Using Sennheiser PX 200s so far. I'll try with a few different headphones over the next few days.

Have to say I do like all the playback options and genius is fun. One of the reasons I bought this is to be able to hear my music in different combinations and ipods do ths very well.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #128 of 194
Quote:
Arrived last night. Excellent packaging, no customs charges so I'm one up already. Appears to be in perfect condition. Synced it with iTunes (redundant statement I suppose as you don't have much choice). Still got 83 gb left! No problems yet, although I've only been using it for a few hours.

I've owned ipods before and sound wise this one seems like all the others to me. It's not as detailed as some of my other players. If I had to choose one word I would say it's a bit "light" sounding. Using Sennheiser PX 200s so far. I'll try with a few different headphones over the next few days.

Have to say I do like all the playback options and genius is fun. One of the reasons I bought this is to be able to hear my music in different combinations and ipods do ths very well.

Actually it's not necessary to sync with itunes.  If you really want you can do an emcore installation of rockbox on classics now and use it as a drag and drop device instead :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #131 of 194
Quote:
anyone know where i can get one of these for cheap now?

I'd have to say that for 10$ less than the Apple unmodified classic, you're getting an absolute bargain and they dont come any cheaper brand new, but if you don't mind used items then there are a few on eBay. 

The seller "elec-king" and "goldenpe" appear to be the same seller with multiple user names.  We've all had pretty good experiences with them. 

What would you define as cheap though?

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #132 of 194
Quote:
Actually it's not necessary to sync with itunes.  If you really want you can do an emcore installation of rockbox on classics now and use it as a drag and drop device instead :)

Thanks for the tip. You're right of course. I should give rockbox a go I guess.

Anyway I have a more pressing problem. I'm sure I'm not the first so I'm hoping for some advice from you nice people.

I was syncing again last night and when done had an issue removing the connector. When I did finally remove it the ipod went into "do not disconnet" mode. I always eject it (even though i don't think it really makes much difference).
I left it for a while and nothing happened so I did the "middle button menu for 6 seconds" boot. Then I got the big red X in a circle!
Now I'm starting to sweat but googling the particular error I found the solution
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363
which I followed and it seemed to work.

I appreciate that a boot/restart is often required on MP3 players. I've had similar problems with my other players and a paper clip in the tiny hole has always done the trick.

I guess my question is, is this a sign of a faulty drive and should I send it back or do I just accept that it might happen from time to time and is fixable so leave well alone?

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #133 of 194
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. You're right of course. I should give rockbox a go I guess.

Anyway I have a more pressing problem. I'm sure I'm not the first so I'm hoping for some advice from you nice people.

I was syncing again last night and when done had an issue removing the connector. When I did finally remove it the ipod went into "do not disconnet" mode. I always eject it (even though i don't think it really makes much difference).
I left it for a while and nothing happened so I did the "middle button menu for 6 seconds" boot. Then I got the big red X in a circle!
Now I'm starting to sweat but googling the particular error I found the solution
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363
which I followed and it seemed to work.

I appreciate that a boot/restart is often required on MP3 players. I've had similar problems with my other players and a paper clip in the tiny hole has always done the trick.

I guess my question is, is this a sign of a faulty drive and should I send it back or do I just accept that it might happen from time to time and is fixable so leave well alone?

Thanks.

I've had this. If the drive was faulty it wouldn't be fixed by the apple diagnostics. It was probably just a software sync error. You need not worry. If it happens again though then definitely send it back. Twice is one time too many

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #134 of 194
Hi guys
Been recently looking for a new Ipod classic, as my old 6th gen had to be sold as the screen was faulty, so decided to sell it and not bother doing the screen myself
Been looking into this 240gb version/s that are out there
1st question is, I see there are 2 versions out with the 5g 240gb and 7g 240g, what are there (if any) differences in the 2 versions?
Also the seller people have been buying from on this thread (elec-king) doesnt seem to have any now, but I found another 1 on ebay but need to know if its legit/ok to buy from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-240GB-Apple-iPod-Classic-7th-Generation-160GB-Hard-Drive-Replace-Back-LCD-/121060561102?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item1c2fc590ce

Thanks

PS Also I've read in some reviews the sound quality isnt as good as previous ipod/s, is this true? Will I notice any difference? I've had every iphone model before, and always use the "Loudness" EQ on my classic and it normally is great, thats the only thing currently making me decide on whether to get 1 of these or not!

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #135 of 194
Quote:
Hi guys
Been recently looking for a new Ipod classic, as my old 6th gen had to be sold as the screen was faulty, so decided to sell it and not bother doing the screen myself
Been looking into this 240gb version/s that are out there
1st question is, I see there are 2 versions out with the 5g 240gb and 7g 240g, what are there (if any) differences in the 2 versions?
Also the seller people have been buying from on this thread (elec-king) doesnt seem to have any now, but I found another 1 on ebay but need to know if its legit/ok to buy from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-240GB-Apple-iPod-Classic-7th-Generation-160GB-Hard-Drive-Replace-Back-LCD-/121060561102?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item1c2fc590ce

Thanks

PS Also I've read in some reviews the sound quality isnt as good as previous ipod/s, is this true? Will I notice any difference? I've had every iphone model before, and always use the "Loudness" EQ on my classic and it normally is great, thats the only thing currently making me decide on whether to get 1 of these or not!

The sound quality is no  different to the original classic I once owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back