Review: Modded iPod Classic 7G with 240GB HDD from eBay
Oct 10, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #181 of 194
Need a bit of help please guys
I have 1 of the 240gb versions I bought back a while ago, and want to replace the screen, but which screen do I need to get it for? Is it for a 6th or 7th gen?
I can't remember for sure, but wasn't the 240gb a 7th gen version built into a 6th gen case?
If so do I need a 7th gen lcd screen? Or will a 6th gen work as well?

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #182 of 194
Need a bit of help please guys
I have 1 of the 240gb versions I bought back a while ago, and want to replace the screen, but which screen do I need to get it for? Is it for a 6th or 7th gen?
I can't remember for sure, but wasn't the 240gb a 7th gen version built into a 6th gen case?
If so do I need a 7th gen lcd screen? Or will a 6th gen work as well?
The 6th gen and the 7th gen models use the same screen.

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #183 of 194
I was planning to upgrade my iPod with a flashdrive, but it died beforehand.

Anyways, about the earbuds.
Those must be Chinese Apple Earbuds. Those are marked L and L (Left and Light) to prevent confusion.
Japanese Apple Earbuds are marked R and R (Reft and Right).
The rest of the world has the regular L and R (Left and Right) markings.
I think it's very considerate of Apple to localise their earbuds.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #184 of 194
I have had two of these now.  In both instances, the Ipod became unstable as you reach 200GB.  Search does not function, and moving between playlists is an act of courage.   Within  a day or two, it will crash and you can start all over.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #186 of 194
  I have had two of these now.  In both instances, the Ipod became unstable as you reach 200GB.  Search does not function, and moving between playlists is an act of courage.   Within  a day or two, it will crash and you can start all over.

You had two of what?

My 512GB iPod is very stable.

Ipods with 240 gig hard drives I'm guessing.  Aside from my rockbox booting into original apple firmware every so often so has my 256 ipod.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #190 of 194
Hello:

First who is the forum member. Second I want to purchase one of these and then I read about the IMOD for the better sound from Red WIne. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the SONY PHA-1A which has the Wolfson DAC and is a amplifier and just hook it to my IPOD CLASSIC?

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #191 of 194
I own both the iPod 5.5 and the gen 7, I want to get rid of one of those and upgrade the other but I can't decide which one I prefer. Based on sound quality only, which would you keep as portable source. I highly value the community opinion.

I'll combine it with UM3x and Pico Amp/DAC

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this. I really appreciate it

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #192 of 194
I own both the iPod 5.5 and the gen 7, I want to get rid of one of those and upgrade the other but I can't decide which one I prefer. Based on sound quality only, which would you keep as portable source. I highly value the community opinion.

I'll combine it with UM3x and Pico Amp/DAC

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this. I really appreciate it

It really will come down to personal preference in the end.  Received wisdom has it that the 5.5 is the "better" as it has the wolfson dac, whereas the 7 has the cirrus.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #193 of 194
It really will come down to personal preference in the end.  Received wisdom has it that the 5.5 is the "better" as it has the wolfson dac, whereas the 7 has the cirrus.

Personal preference is what I was expecting. I didn't realize they had different DAC chips. Having read here and there about wolfson being the chip maker to look for, tips the scale in favour of the 5.5. Anyways, I won't be holding on to that one very long either, since I'm re-encoding my CDs to 24bit/96KHz.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #194 of 194
Personal preference is what I was expecting. I didn't realize they had different DAC chips. Having read here and there about wolfson being the chip maker to look for, tips the scale in favour of the 5.5. Anyways, I won't be holding on to that one very long either, since I'm re-encoding my CDs to 24bit/96KHz.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

I also have a modified 240gig iPod that has worked perfectly since buying it around three years ago, although, I'm not sure "re-encoding" your CDs to the bit depth and frequency rate is practical.
Remember you CDs are 16~44.1 so even if you 'upsample' the CD's to 24~96, it still only amounts to the same quality of 16~44.1.
It's like buying a DVD and trying to turn it into a Blu-ray disk.... It's just not gonna look better though you've made the DVD into a Blu-ray compatible disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back