Review: MGL Audio Labs DACPre
Aug 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lordearl

500+ Head-Fier
Well after a month or so of waiting for my MGL Audio Labs DACPre (preamp + DAC + headphone amplifier) to be built and sent from Austria to Australia (yes, there is a difference all you Dumb & Dumber fans out there!), I finally received it & have put about 50 hours on it and had a chance to write (apparently) the first head-fi review of this nifty amp.

For starters - the links;
Manufacturer: MGL AUDIO LABS
Welcome to MGL Audio Laboratories
Product - Mini DACPre
Mini DACPre

Specifications;

Digital Inputs: 2 x Coaxial, 2 x Toslink, USB (optional)
Analogue Outputs: 1 x Fixed, 1 x Variable
Headphone Load Impedance: 32 Ohms - 600 Ohms
Supported Samplerates: 44.1 kHz - 192 kHz
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 30kHz, +/-0.5dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: > 105dB
Distortion: THD+N : 0.005%
Output Voltage: 2V RMS
Net Weight: 3kg
Dimensions (mm): 124mm (width) x 80mm (hight) x 230mm(depth)
DAC Chip: Wolfson WM8740
Headphone amp chip: TPA6120

Review equipment;
Sources: Cambridge 640C Cd Player (digital output), Computer (Foobar)
DAC; DACPre, Fubar II (for comparison)
Headphone amp & preamp: DACPre, Shanling PH300 (for comparison), Firestone Little Country (for comparison), Vincent KHV-1 (for comparison)
Headphones; AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT250, Klipsch X10, im717
Power amp; NAD C355 (power amp section)

Review music;
Kate Bush - The Hounds of Love
Beethoven - Symphony #8 (Paavo Järvi)

The initial reason I chose this amplifier over the current multitude of models available was that it uses the same DAC as the Cambridge 640C cd player, which I happen to like a lot. The primary reason I say "like" rather than "love" is that the treble is too bright, and when combined with the already irritating treble of the K701, one's ears can take a battering.

I discovered MGL Audio Labs by browsing for an all-in-one headphone amp product. After contacting the proprietor, Michael, who keeps a low profile membership here, I found a person who was willing to tailor the end product to my exact needs. A quick glance at their website will reveal they have plenty of well priced modules which can be added to the stock standard DACPre, such as remote control & balanced outputs.

My first test was to put the Beethoven disc in the 640C and connect the digital output AND the rca outputs directly into the MGL DACPre. That way I could compare the sound as produced through identical DAC chips. The lower midrange and the upper treble of the MGL amp are such an improvement it is like going from Greg Norman to Tiger Woods, or Boris Becker to Roger Federer. The sound crystallises itself in the K701s with a full bodied, densely fresh thwack. But the thwack is in your brain, not hurting your ear drum as can happen sometimes with the AKG K701/640C treble.

I've used two hybrid amps for about a year with the K701, and none of them have a listening time of over 2 hours or so -- it simply gets too tedious on the brain due to the complexity of sound the K701s present. With Beyerdynamic DT250 or Klipsch X10, I can listen for three to five hours on these other amps. After using the the DACPre for 50 hours, I feel, along with the Vincent KHV-1 **note I've used this amp for about 5 hours only** I could have sat at my desk and been there for the entire 50 hours.

The DACPre handily comes with two sets of RCA outputs, variable and non-variable. Thus, I bypassed the preamp section of my NAD C355 and heard the unadulterated improved implementation of the Wolfson DAC straight into the NAD power amp. The difference with Quad speakers was not as marked as with the the K701, but the lower end was definitely more well defined than was present with the 640C running through the NAD preamp section.

Lastly, I played an hour or so of Kate Bush on the K701s as I honestly think her voice is one of the most difficult to define (sonically). Every sound system renders her voice differently. More generally, female vocals I believe are a great way to check the suitability of a sound system for one's ears -- if you enjoy the wailing of The Great Gig In The Sky in a sound system, then buy it because on a bad system, it sounds shocking! I bought hybrid amps to soften the treble end of the K701, but have now found that a good SS can do it better.

Some minor points of improvement may be to have a thicker power cord, although I know little of the technical advantages of this. Also, the usb -> s/pdif XITEL DG2 converter which is shipped with it may seem non-sensical to some as a usb input could quite easily be included on the rear panel...see the manufacturers site for detail as to why this was not implemented.

Further updates to follow after extended burn-in (& pics once I get my camera from the Mrs!) to follow, but for now I can safely say this is the best amp for K701 I have heard yet.

Cheers for reading,
Tom

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after a month or so of waiting for my MGL Audio Labs DACPre (preamp + DAC + headphone amplifier) to be built and sent from Austria to Australia (yes, there is a difference all you Dumb & Dumber fans out there!), I finally received it & have put about 50 hours on it and had a chance to write (apparently) the first head-fi review of this nifty amp.

For starters - the links;
Manufacturer: MGL AUDIO LABS
Welcome to MGL Audio Laboratories
Product - Mini DACPre
Mini DACPre

Specifications;

Digital Inputs: 2 x Coaxial, 2 x Toslink, USB (optional)
Analogue Outputs: 1 x Fixed, 1 x Variable
Headphone Load Impedance: 32 Ohms - 600 Ohms
Supported Samplerates: 44.1 kHz - 192 kHz
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 30kHz, +/-0.5dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: > 105dB
Distortion: THD+N : 0.005%
Output Voltage: 2V RMS
Net Weight: 3kg
Dimensions (mm): 124mm (width) x 80mm (hight) x 230mm(depth)
DAC Chip: Wolfson WM8740
Headphone amp chip: TPA6120

Review equipment;
Sources: Cambridge 640C Cd Player (digital output), Computer (Foobar)
DAC; DACPre, Fubar II (for comparison)
Headphone amp & preamp: DACPre, Shanling PH300 (for comparison), Firestone Little Country (for comparison), Vincent KHV-1 (for comparison)
Headphones; AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT250, Klipsch X10, im717
Power amp; NAD C355 (power amp section)

Review music;
Kate Bush - The Hounds of Love
Beethoven - Symphony #8 (Paavo Järvi)

The initial reason I chose this amplifier over the current multitude of models available was that it uses the same DAC as the Cambridge 640C cd player, which I happen to like a lot. The primary reason I say "like" rather than "love" is that the treble is too bright, and when combined with the already irritating treble of the K701, one's ears can take a battering.

I discovered MGL Audio Labs by browsing for an all-in-one headphone amp product. After contacting the proprietor, Michael, who keeps a low profile membership here, I found a person who was willing to tailor the end product to my exact needs. A quick glance at their website will reveal they have plenty of well priced modules which can be added to the stock standard DACPre, such as remote control & balanced outputs.

My first test was to put the Beethoven disc in the 640C and connect the digital output AND the rca outputs directly into the MGL DACPre. That way I could compare the sound as produced through identical DAC chips. The lower midrange and the upper treble of the MGL amp are such an improvement it is like going from Greg Norman to Tiger Woods, or Boris Becker to Roger Federer. The sound crystallises itself in the K701s with a full bodied, densely fresh thwack. But the thwack is in your brain, not hurting your ear drum as can happen sometimes with the AKG K701/640C treble.

I've used two hybrid amps for about a year with the K701, and none of them have a listening time of over 2 hours or so -- it simply gets too tedious on the brain due to the complexity of sound the K701s present. With Beyerdynamic DT250 or Klipsch X10, I can listen for three to five hours on these other amps. After using the the DACPre for 50 hours, I feel, along with the Vincent KHV-1 **note I've used this amp for about 5 hours only** I could have sat at my desk and been there for the entire 50 hours.

The DACPre handily comes with two sets of RCA outputs, variable and non-variable. Thus, I bypassed the preamp section of my NAD C355 and heard the unadulterated improved implementation of the Wolfson DAC straight into the NAD power amp. The difference with Quad speakers was not as marked as with the the K701, but the lower end was definitely more well defined than was present with the 640C running through the NAD preamp section.

Lastly, I played an hour or so of Kate Bush on the K701s as I honestly think her voice is one of the most difficult to define (sonically). Every sound system renders her voice differently. More generally, female vocals I believe are a great way to check the suitability of a sound system for one's ears -- if you enjoy the wailing of The Great Gig In The Sky in a sound system, then buy it because on a bad system, it sounds shocking! I bought hybrid amps to soften the treble end of the K701, but have now found that a good SS can do it better.

Some minor points of improvement may be to have a thicker power cord, although I know little of the technical advantages of this. Also, the usb -> s/pdif XITEL DG2 converter which is shipped with it may seem non-sensical to some as a usb input could quite easily be included on the rear panel...see the manufacturers site for detail as to why this was not implemented.

Further updates to follow after extended burn-in (& pics once I get my camera from the Mrs!) to follow, but for now I can safely say this is the best amp for K701 I have heard yet.

Cheers for reading,
Tom

Dear Tom
thank you for this preliminary review. Above all I'm interested on your opinion about DAC section
Regards
Leandro

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes I will try to post some more impressions of the WM8740 implementation when I get the chance -- I get the feeling a lot of ppl buying this will do so for the DAC section. I'll post the review in the source section of the forum, too.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 11
**update - 100 hours in**

Well, still no pics yet - will arrange soon, but for now you can see a small gallery on the manufacturers website @ Welcome to MGL Audio Laboratories

After a few weeks with the DACPre, I have to admit that its versatility still amazes me. At its price point there isn't an amp with so many inputs - two optical, two coaxial and two RCA inputs (at an additional cost as presumably people are using the digital inputs in order to convert to analogue). It is now used in my system as the permanent preamplifier.

The DAC section has settled down and the differences between the Firestone Fubar II and the Cambridge implementation of the WM8740 are easily discernible, especially on the K701. I always felt that the K701s *should* have a little more bass, but that the bass should be consistently well defined, just like the mids and trebles.

The Firestone Fubar delivers great bass, especially with the upgraded OPA627 - but it is a slightly overbearing and never really gives enough space to large dynamic spectrum we need for jazz or acoustic performances.

The Cambridge 640C, which uses the same DAC chip as the MGL DAC (WM8740), is slightly more adept at changes of genre. A good dac/amp combo really should allow you to listen to many different types of music, and also mate well with multiple headphones. For me, the idea of an dac/amp/headphone combo which ONLY matches one type of music and one headphone is a little too much like those friends you have at school who always wear the same clothes (and are proud of it!). Good hi-fi equipment will consistently deliver, no matter what is spinning in the cd/hard disk. Anyway, the real advantage the MGL DACPre has over the Cambridge WM8740 circuits is that the transitions from mids to treble within tracks appear effortless. I often found the Cambridge too bright and cringed with piano recordings of people playing the upper reaches of the notes available to them. After a year of using the 640C & its DAC, I assumed the WM8740 was always going to be bright and useful for only recordings utilising lows and mids.

However, for me, the DACPre has changed all that - treble is sweeter, and seems to resonate with the rest of the lineup. One really gets the sense that a band are all playing together, not just playing separate instruments in the same room. The K701s will always have a lot of detail, and the DACPre seems to straighten out which parts of these details are necessary to hear the loudest. So all in all, it does an excellent job of reflecting what was in the mind of the sound engineer at the time the recording was originally made.

Happy listening!

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

**update - 100 hours in**

Well, still no pics yet - will arrange soon, but for now you can see a small gallery on the manufacturers website @ Welcome to MGL Audio Laboratories

After a few weeks with the DACPre, I have to admit that its versatility still amazes me. At its price point there isn't an amp with so many inputs - two optical, two coaxial and two RCA inputs (at an additional cost as presumably people are using the digital inputs in order to convert to analogue). It is now used in my system as the permanent preamplifier.

The DAC section has settled down and the differences between the Firestone Fubar II and the Cambridge implementation of the WM8740 are easily discernible, especially on the K701. I always felt that the K701s *should* have a little more bass, but that the bass should be consistently well defined, just like the mids and trebles.

The Firestone Fubar delivers great bass, especially with the upgraded OPA627 - but it is a slightly overbearing and never really gives enough space to large dynamic spectrum we need for jazz or acoustic performances.

The Cambridge 640C, which uses the same DAC chip as the MGL DAC (WM8740), is slightly more adept at changes of genre. A good dac/amp combo really should allow you to listen to many different types of music, and also mate well with multiple headphones. For me, the idea of an dac/amp/headphone combo which ONLY matches one type of music and one headphone is a little too much like those friends you have at school who always wear the same clothes (and are proud of it!). Good hi-fi equipment will consistently deliver, no matter what is spinning in the cd/hard disk. Anyway, the real advantage the MGL DACPre has over the Cambridge WM8740 circuits is that the transitions from mids to treble within tracks appear effortless. I often found the Cambridge too bright and cringed with piano recordings of people playing the upper reaches of the notes available to them. After a year of using the 640C & its DAC, I assumed the WM8740 was always going to be bright and useful for only recordings utilising lows and mids.

However, for me, the DACPre has changed all that - treble is sweeter, and seems to resonate with the rest of the lineup. One really gets the sense that a band are all playing together, not just playing separate instruments in the same room. The K701s will always have a lot of detail, and the DACPre seems to straighten out which parts of these details are necessary to hear the loudest. So all in all, it does an excellent job of reflecting what was in the mind of the sound engineer at the time the recording was originally made.

Happy listening!

Tom
very interesting following review. It would be attracting a comparison between MGL DAC Pre and HighEnd DAC (Wadia, Naim, Linn) if you have this possibility.
Regards
Leandro

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Hi Leandro -- unfortunately I can't as I don't know anyone who owns one.
What system do you have?

Wadia 23, pre VTL super deluxe (David Manley product), two DIY 600 watts Class D monoblock (EcoTec modules and Canterbury transformers), Magneplanar 3.3/R with new DIY external crossovers, DIY pure 99,99% silver cables with teflon sheat as interconnect and speaker cables (Audio Consulting model), DIY power cords. My purpose is to buy an external DAC which could compete with my Wadia 23 without spending a lot of money and use it with my laptop
Regards
Leandro

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 11
I listened to a Stello DAC and the Wadia in the last few weeks. I thought the Stello was definitely better, but VERY neutral. The MGL dac is like listening to Cambridge gear, but without the fatigue....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back