Review: META42, Go-Vibe, Corda HA-1, HA-1 MKII, Perreaux SXH1, Gilmore V1 & Max
Jun 18, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #76 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
PM sacd lover, He used the DT880 with the Gilmore amps for a long time. He can give you some insight to the combo.

Yup, he did. He said the V1 / DT 880 combo sings! So V1 would be a good choice (if I found one). But the Corda would also. I suspect the RP 4 would, but I don't know. So I'm performing a mental bake-off between these three amps with the DT 880. Since I don't have access to the amps, I'm trying to find people who can give me comparisons, who can give me reasons to prefer one over the others. So far, this has been very helpful. For example, I was originally considering the Gilmore Lite, but sacd lover and others have steered me away from that as not being the best match for the DT 880.

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #77 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
To put it in friendl(ier) terms, I think that it's silly to compare an amp powered by a single 9v battery against something plugged into the wall. It's already obvious that the wall powered amp will perform better, so why include it in the review? We know the conclusion ahead of time.

You are wrong. I find the comparison between the mentioned portable amps and nonportables very informative and nonsilly.

First, as a newbie you can not imagine the subtle differences of different type of amps - most people who start getting into headphones might even not know that headphone amps existed.

Second, it can prevent people from buying a portable amp if they already bought a high quality home amp (with a decent source) and they feel that their home amp did not improved the sound significantly - they could conclude from this fine review that a portable would improve the sound even less preventing them wasting money.

Third, it can help people who only own a portable amp in their decision to upgrade to a more expensive home amp after they made their personal experience - which will differ from person to person - that even their cheap portable amp improved sonics dramatically (there was a review on the go-vibe stating that it was not so far away from a ppa for a fraction of the money).

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #78 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by davebot
Yup, he did. He said the V1 / DT 880 combo sings! So V1 would be a good choice (if I found one). But the Corda would also. I suspect the RP 4 would, but I don't know. So I'm performing a mental bake-off between these three amps with the DT 880. Since I don't have access to the amps, I'm trying to find people who can give me comparisons, who can give me reasons to prefer one over the others. So far, this has been very helpful. For example, I was originally considering the Gilmore Lite, but sacd lover and others have steered me away from that as not being the best match for the DT 880.

Not the Mental Bake-Off!!
confused.gif
eek.gif

Good luck!

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #80 of 80
Execellent review!

To me, the better amp means less distortion of the electronic signal, the amplifying is the closer to the linear the better, so we can listen to the "original" juice of the recorded music. But our money is not endless, at some price range, sound quality 1% better can means 10 times more money. So I am always try to spend money wisely. Just stop the right point to get most cost efficient choice.

I have the capability to design the amp and optimize the circuit design, use PC to create PCB layout design. So I always like looking into the detail of amp's PCB to see how much the parts worth. This make me sick
k1000smile.gif
that I always say why these amps are so expensive.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back