Headphoneus Supremus
REVIEW: Meelectronics M6Pro - The Return of a Classic

Info:

Product page: www.meelec.com/M6PRO

Specifications & Accessories:

MSRP: U$D 50

Warranty: 1 Year

Build & Design:

As expected from a well known company as Meelectronics, build quality is really good. The housings are made of thick and sturdy plastic material what makes the M6Pro lightweight and resistant for the more active use. It's a quite cool design with the transparent shells so it's possible to see the drivers and cabling inside. The M6Pro is the first Meelec in-ear model that adopts a detachable cable design, and it's very well made, indeed. At the cable connection with the earpieces there's a simple 'lock system' that once plugged won't allow the connection to swing and avoids any unwanted disconnection or static noise. In fact, some strength is needed to detach the cable. Both regular and mic'd cables are of excellent quality; not too soft but not annoying either. They're twisted inside with a plastic semi-rubbery cover outside. The plug is well relieved and the Y-split is very sturdy too. There's the known memory-wire that the previous M6 iterations featured which helps to keep the earpieces in place even during sport activity.

Fit, Comfort, Isolation:

Luckily enough I had no problems here, which is somehow surprising considering many people reporting fit/comfort issues. I don't really remember the original M6, so I can't compare, but personally it just took a few tries and some tip-rolling to get the right fit, and then it just became as intuitive as any other 'over-ear' fit IEM I owned. The main difference is the strong memory-wire but it actually helps to get a right and tight fit. Otherwise, there's always the possibility to change it to an aftermarket cable thanks to the detachable M6Pro feat. Anyway, once fit, the M6Pro just stay in place as it should for a more active use IEM.
From all the eartips I tried, including Sony/Dunu hybrids (and excluding Comply Foam ones), the stock single ones gave the best results. Isolation is slightly above average, enough for daily use, I guess. As for reference, the RE300h, for example, might isolate just a bit more. It's good for those who plan to use the M6Pro when running and still need to be aware of the surroundings.
Microphonics is noticed, so the attached clip is suggested.

Sound:

The new M6Pro features a firm V-shaped signature, very, very lively. It's full of energy everywhere, with enhanced bass and treble without going overboard so to still manage to keep a fair balance overall for its sound type.

Starting from the bass, is surprisingly different from what one would be expecting for a Meelec entry-fi, and even more considering the older models, or other consumer oriented product. It's a strong bass response, no doubt, but it's focused more in providing a more punchy and (relatively) well controlled low end that doesn't feel boomy at all; if anything, sub-bass is slightly more emphasized than mid-bass, which gives a cleaner midrange presence. Quantity wise is comparable to the Fidue A31s but with more electric energy, and yet less mid-bassy than the RHA MA350, but also less warm than both. It's also much faster and tighter than the popular Philips SHE3580/90. Not as deep as the Brainwavz S1 but more enjoyable, and doesn't has the lifted mid-bass peak of the S5, although the later is more resolving ($100 Vs $50 here).

The midrange is pushed back a bit as expected for this V-type sound, but nothing really worrisome; some EQ may help here. Mids on their own are fairly clear and clean from any serious bass bleed; MA350 and A31s do show more in comparison due the extra warmth. Detail is quite good actually; nothing outstanding but makes itself obvious after some hours of run (40-50, at least in my case).
Next to the Hifiman RE300h's midrange there're mixed results. The M6Pro is more exciting and show more instrument presence and energy, but sounds more dry and lacks the depth of the RE300h. It also sounds more artificial and lacks a sense of sweetness, while the RE300h sounds more natural, smoother and better layered in vocals dept, but both lose when compared to the Fidue A63. As a whole, the M6Pro mids are much better than the S1, and similar to the S5 in presentation, just less deep and airy.

The treble would probably be the more pronounced freq. of the M6Pro. While the bass doesn't show any specific strong emphasis, the treble is more focused in its low/mid treble section rather than the upper end, which is more than acceptable for a $50 IEM. It could be described as a slightly 'hot' treble and the quantity might be a bit much for some people (included Comply Foam tips could help here). The MA350 which also has an enhanced treble response is a tad less energetic but also shows more grain and sibilance, while the M6Pro remains smoother in this regard.

Stage is not really large but not closed for sure. Not as wide or airy as the Xiaomi Piston 2 but larger than the A31s and similar to the MA350 in dimensions. A longer burn-in process proved to improve the stage and resolution, too.

Conclusion & Value:

Taken as a whole package the M6Pro is quite a great product. Sound is very competent, build quality is very good and the design is well thought for active sport use. And also, do not forget the excellent Meelectronics customer service and warranty.

May 8, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 9
I agree about it being not as in depth and airy. Unless they are put to high volume is when they shine brighter imo. An amp would be good I assume. Good review. Loving mine.

May 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Welcome back from "retirement"
biggrin.gif
  It has been awhile since your last review, but you still got it!!!
wink.gif

May 16, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 9
^ if you mean isolation, they won't block that much noise. Comply foam might help a bit, but still they're about above average at best.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the Shure se215 and they M6 Pros and honestly the M6 pros sound really good with certain types of music but the highs are stupidly harsh on the ears.  The Shure se215 sound very good and are also louder, but I feel as though some things aren't as crisp.  I honestly don't know which ones I want to send back because the type of music I listen to(Screamo, alt rock, basically a lot of rock, but also some rap and soft pop, and acoutsic,  I listen to too much music types to name them lol)  I want some suggetions if I should return both and get something better for a good price $100 or less even $120 if need be.  I just can't decide but the M6 are tempting to send back because them highs just hurt..

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 9
  I have the Shure se215 and they M6 Pros and honestly the M6 pros sound really good with certain types of music but the highs are stupidly harsh on the ears.  The Shure se215 sound very good and are also louder, but I feel as though some things aren't as crisp.  I honestly don't know which ones I want to send back because the type of music I listen to(Screamo, alt rock, basically a lot of rock, but also some rap and soft pop, and acoutsic,  I listen to too much music types to name them lol)  I want some suggetions if I should return both and get something better for a good price $100 or less even $120 if need be.  I just can't decide but the M6 are tempting to send back because them highs just hurt..

return both and buy RHA 750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back