[REVIEW] Meelec CW31 Wooden IEM
Apr 2, 2011 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

exec-

Head-Fier
EDIT: These were compared to the Dr Dre Beats - Monster - sounded similar -
First thing - pardon the image quality, as i took them with my mobile phone after reminding that i cannot remember where i left my camera :/

It was a surprised to receive this from Meelec for review, since the last review i did for them wasn’t so positive for them. So this will be a review for the Meelec CW31 (which advertises to provide “Natural Sound”). These earphones have an retail price of $49.99 on their website http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Clarity_Series_CW31_In_Ear_Headphone_p/ep-cw31-mee.htm
Find specs on the link above

Opening the box (like all the classic packages of Meelec, simple and to the point!) :

Carry case of the meelec CW31 vs the  carry case of the Phiaton PS200 -
First thing you really notice when opening is that carry case.. it’s small, solid and kind of nice J With a beautiful logo on the side.  Comes with the 4 different types of silicone tips; triple flanges, double flanges then the usual Small, medium, large sized ear tips. 

The earphones look weird at first look. They are tiny as hell, brown and with a weird way to input in your ear. It might not be weird for some but this is my first time trying this type of IEM.
Note that the picture below was taken from the MEE site and note that the cable is not the same.. i received the typical gray cable with a plastic coat.

And this is how they looked without the eartips on : 

Please note that I allowed the earphones to burn in for 8hrs a day for 5 days (*work* J) and this review contains comments from my friends who tried them (some for days!!!) or just had a look.
First impressions –
When inserted with the medium sized ear tips on, they were not big enough, they did not provide a perfect seal, I had to switch to the largest, even though I usually use the medium one with most earphones. And OMG, they felt nice in ear, good seal, and light and comfortable. The earphone is well built and looks solid enough to resist regular drops.  Cable – seems that they are easy to get tangled.
 Sound was amazingly balanced for a ~$50 earphone. The sound is warm.  I have no meaning what they meant by natural sound, but I’ll say they do :p  I’ll say if you are into classical, you will not be satisfied, as I noticed that clarity in instruments tend to get lost in the background. Tried a variety of music next, Hip-hop, trance, pop, dance and some classical.  This tiny baby seems to be an all rounder. They performed well or better in most of them, except for the classical part (might need some more burn-in). The type of music I found it excelled was Trance (tested Gareth Emery Mix from UMF 27.03.2011 ASOT500). The bass is very controlled and “natural”, it does not overwhelm mids or highs (not that I can notice) which I believed to be very rare in earphones below $50 !
Pros
-          Comfortable/ very lightweight 
-          Solid
-          Warm and balanced sound for great price!
-          Tight controlled bass

Cons-
-          Cable not tangle free. Microphonics present, even if low.

-          Look weird :p (might be only for me)
-          Some might not like the color of the carry case

Isolation/Seal not so great

Some Comments from friends that reviewed it too for me :p
-          “Lol! They look weird”
-          “Eargasm, I’m loving them! Thank you, they are now mine!” (this one came from someone that hates in-ear)
-          “Hmm, sound good, can’t find anything bad to say on them based on sound”
-          “they really do feel natural, you could listen for hours”

In conclusion, I found them to be good performers mainly in the Trance area, and for $50 they are a great steal. I hope i didn't miss anything that i should have covered...

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Meelec really send you this as a free review sample? Don't they expect a review then? 
wink_face.gif

I'm gonna mail them, see if they send me some free in-ears as well. Write a couple impressions, throw in a few "OMG!"'s... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back