Review: Lenntek Sonix Micro
Dec 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
I’ve never made a secret of being a huge fan of the original Lenntek Sonix. They were aggressive, bassy, and just downright fun. Plus, they originally sold for $25 at Costco and towards the end of their lifespan the price was dropped to $20 and the optional accessory pack, including the much-needed extension cord, was thrown in. Naturally then, I could not resist picking up Lenntek’s new model, the Sonix Micro, at the same $20 price tag. Originally, I had no intention of writing up a separate review for these but wow, color me impressed – Lenntek managed to further refine one of my favorite budget earphones without raising the price past the original Sonix’ low point.

Technical Specifications:

-Type: Dynamic Driver
-Driver Diameter: 8 mm
-Impedance: 32Ω
-Sensitivity: 100dB
-Frequency Range: 20~20,000Hz
-Plug: 3.5mm, 45 degree angle
-Cord length: 1.4 meters (4.6 ft)
-Cord type: y-cord

Included accessories:

-Instruction manual & specsheet
-XS/S/M/L single-flange silicone tips in black plus M single-flange silicone tips in white
-2 ft extension cable
-Soft carrying pouch

lennteksonixmicropackag.jpg

lennteksonixmicrotop.jpg

Appearance & Build Quality

Like the original Sonix, the Sonix Micro features an all-metal construction and nylon-sheathed cable. The whole construction has an air of quality about it that is unmatched at the price point. The black metal housings are very small and classy-looking, with only the target-like Lenntek logo visible when they are worn. The nozzles and grilles are also metallic and equally well-made. The cloth cable is quite thick and has fewer tendencies to kink than the cloth cables on some of the other IEMs in my collection. The strain relief on the 45-degree-angled 3.5mm plug is well-molded and can stand up to a good amount of abuse. The strain reliefs on housing entry are spherical made out of a hard plastic. Probably not an issue but I would certainly prefer rubber strain reliefs.

Compared to the original Sonix, the Micro are indeed much smaller. The cabling is also thicker and of a (welcome) 1.4m length. The old Sonix had a 1.1m cord and using the extension cord was a must for anyone over 6’ in height.

Fit & Comfort

The fit of the tiny Sonix Micro is very user-friendly and unobtrusive. The tiny, light housings and variety of included tip sizes mean the Sonix will fit almost all ear shapes and sizes comfortably. The short strain reliefs make it easy to wear the cords over-the-ear as well as straight down. As far as straight-barrel IEMs go the Sonix Micro are some of the easiest to wear for prolonged periods.

lennteksonixmicroclose.jpg

Isolation & Microphonics

Though they utilize fairly typical 8mm dynamic transducers, the Sonix Micro don’t seem to have open air ports and the isolation is fittingly good, certainly above average for dynamic IEMs in the price range. I had no trouble keeping a level volume throughout my daily commute, including a stint on public transport.

The nylon-wrapped cable is expectedly microphonic and must be worn over-the-ear if any physical activity is performed. Fortunately, the tiny strain reliefs make it easy to do so and the cable is long enough that the 3-4” loss in cord length is not bothersome.

Sound

Testing Setup
[size=xx-small]All on-the-go listening was done straight from an unamped Sansa Fuze using a selection of tracks in 256-320kbps mp3 format featuring a variety of genres including different subgenres of Rock & Metal, Pop, Acoustic, Blues, Jazz, and Electronica. Benefits of a portable amp are deduced from running the earphones through a 5x gain mini3 connected to the Fuze via a vampire-wire LOD. All critical listening is done via an optical-fed iBasso D10 with stock opamps using a wider selection of tracks in FLAC and Windows Media lossless formats. [/size]

Just like their predecessor, the Sonix Micro wow with their fun factor. They are bass-biased but don’t sound particularly unbalanced. The signature is warm and intimate. The Soundstage is rather narrow but boasts good positioning and above-average depth. The bass is impactful with a hint of bloat. It can be excessive at times but is also hugely fun on dance and other beat-heavy tracks. The slight bass bloat does not significantly affect the midrange, which is warm and dynamic, if a bit muddy. The treble is recessed compared to the bass and mids, but still present. Expectedly, they lack the clarity and detail of some higher-priced products, but overall the sound of the Sonix Micro compares favorably to other earphones in the price range.

Value

The Lenntek Sonix are a competitive product that offers a mainstream, bass-heavy sound at an excellent price point and without sacrifice in other areas. Bass-lovers from all walks of life will be impressed. Though they lose out to some of the competition in audio specifics (such as detail vs. the JVC FXC50, soundstaging vs. the Soundmagic PL30, and treble quality vs. the Meelec Ai-M9), the Sonix Micro make up for the shortfalls by offering great build quality, above-average isolation and comfort, and a lifetime warranty. They feel first and foremost like a quality product, and that is their main strength. The Sonix are one of the few budget earphones that I have no qualms about giving as a gift.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 18
I recently bought Lenntek Sonix High Definition phones for $20 shipped (I got them from yugster, but now they are available through qvc.com) and I am very impressed with them. Bass is definately present, but they are overall fast, clear and detailed, good imaging and one of my least microphonic phones. Nylon cable starts down from the Y split. Great quality, nice packaging for a gift. I prefer them over AI-M9 now.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 18
I had a pair of these from Costco recently, for $20 I doubt they can be beat.

I also tried the Lenntek Pro Series from Costco and they performed as well as Etymotic Hf5 to my ears in side by side testing and for $49 another steal from Costco.

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aconteceu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought Lenntek Sonix High Definition phones for $20 shipped (I got them from yugster, but now they are available through qvc.com) and I am very impressed with them. Bass is definately present, but they are overall fast, clear and detailed, good imaging and one of my least microphonic phones. Nylon cable starts down from the Y split. Great quality, nice packaging for a gift. I prefer them over AI-M9 now.

Those are the original Sonix. I had them a long time ago and from memory the sound of the Micros is pretty similar, probably from identical drivers. The Micros do boast improvements in build quality and comfort though.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 18
Nice low-end iem
smily_headphones1.gif
well worth the $20 because I payed close to $30 for them.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 18
Props/thanks for showing the lower end of IEMs some love by doing a review.

I don't think I'll personally be in the market for these, but there are always people who can't get past spending >30$ on headphones, and want something decent; this is a nice one to know I can recommend
biggrin.gif

Also: awesome presentation (packing/accessories) for something so cheap!

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks for the review, ljokerl.

For the housing shape, I presume these phones are a good alternative for people with small earcanals but wanting deep insertion.

Oh, so many phones, so little time!

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks, guys
beyersmile.png

The Sonix are indeed very good for those with small ears. I think the level of refinement, compliant fit, and agreeable sound signature make them a great gift. Too bad they're not available outside the US as far as I can tell. Plus it's getting very hard to recommend anything in the price range with the new Meelectronics M9 now shipping and the Senn CX250 not far behind it in sound and polish.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 18
How would they compare with the ER-6is?

Just asking because they seem to be similarly described, and the ER-6i is the only IEM that I have ever listened to!

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 18
Not similar at all. The Er6i is very, very far from bass-biased. They are far cooler, much more detailed, and have massive amounts of treble compared to the Sonix, which are after all $20 earphones. The Er6i is usually called 'analytical'. The Sonix are way on the other side of the spectrum - fun and mainstream in terms of sound.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not similar at all. The Er6i is very, very far from bass-biased. They are far cooler, much more detailed, and have massive amounts of treble compared to the Sonix, which are after all $20 earphones. The Er6i is usually called 'analytical'. The Sonix are way on the other side of the spectrum - fun and mainstream in terms of sound.

That's surprising to me because I remember when they came out, they were billed as the the "i"Pod version with enhanced bass compared to the standard ER-6.

I'm currently considering having them re-molded to see if I like customs since I don't like the "universal fit" IEMs/earbuds, would that improve the bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back