REVIEW : Leckerton Audio uHA-4 vs Just Audio uHA-120
Jun 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
REVIEW : Leckerton Audio UHA-4 vs Just Audio UHA-120

I need another portable amp like I need a hole in my head' - Skylab, Dec 2009

Layout

To make life easier on all concerned, I am going to post each section of the review separately. My pet hate with review threads is when someone quotes a huge review, including images, simply to ask a question or make a single sentence comment. Please be mindful when quoting of those on slower connections and those who simply don't want to have to wade through everything 3 times. 

Part 1 - Intro and a general rant on portable amps

Part 2 - Review/Comparison of the amps
         Section A - Miscellany : the customer experience, build quality, pride of ownership
         Section B - Source Considerations and the uHA-4 DAC
         Section C - Listening impressions

Part 3 - Conclusion and Recommendations

Part 4 – Selected Quotes from other Head-Fiers in the name of editorial balance (!)

PICS can be found in this thread :  

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558310/review-pics-leckerton-uha-4-vs-just-audio-uha-120

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 50
Intro and a general rant on portable amps

Lies, damned lies and reviews

In the course of putting this abomination together, I frequently had cause to ask myself 'Are you sure you want to do this ?' - I certainly dont have golden ears, pristine sources or expensive headphones. Other Head-Fiers will undoubtedly hear things differently with different source/headphones/ears, so why put time and effort into something like this ?

Ego ? I think that dovetails neatly into purchase justification, and its all about me telling you what a fantastic choice I've made. Really, really fantastic, and I plan to dredge every audiofool cliche known to man while I tell you just HOW fantastic.
Sales Pitch ? I dont know how it happens, but its easy to find yourself writing a sales pitch for a product you like - I definitely prefer the impressions on a site like Amazon to the manufacturer's blurb, but you will usually get a few negative responses mixed in with the positives. I'd like to see a little more objective criticism in HF reviews.
Boredom ? Hey, what else are you going to do while you wait the mandatory 1200 hours for your amp to burn in ?

OK, my sarcasm/cynicism aside, there is another reason - giving something back after having used Head-Fi to collect countless impressions on kit prior to making various purchases. Its a double-edged sword, as the Hype Monster here has a tendency to consume all in its path, but if you spend enough time here it soon becomes apparent which board members are prone to gushing about every new toy that comes down the pipe. Entertaining, but not always enlightening. Fortunately, there are a few others who measure their responses, and those are the impressions I value.

In a nutshell, I'm doing this because I know exactly how it is to search for impressions on kit and find them in one place - Head-Fi. Worse, to find a link to something promising elsewhere that is, in fact, a link to a HeadFi review. Until Mike started reviewing a stack of portable amps at Headfonia, this was often the only place you would find these devices mentioned in something other than a rehash of the manufacturer's blurb.

I spend a lot of time on a board populated mostly by hard-bitten cynics who dont see the point in anything beyond a sentence or two containing the most basic of impressions, arguing that anything more is usually audiofool wankery. Most of this post will be a forgettable jumble of complete drivel, but if someone takes away a single worthwhile impression from any of it then I can consider my debt to Head-Fi repaid and continue shamelessly milking others for impressions.

What is it with portable amps, anyway ?

For me, its the alluring promise of the transportable rig. Something I can use on my bedside table or in a library, in a hotel room or at an airport. Big sound from a little package - bending the laws of physics, even when there is no substitute for the cubic inches of the Big Iron on other folks desktops. Big amps will always sound bigger, but it remains a dream worth pursuing, IMO.  

I own just one mains-powered amp, and have no immediate plans to buy another. The next step on that ladder will cost considerably more than I paid for the E9, but portable amps are the kind of temptation that is tailor-made to empty your wallet. Anything that takes up so little real estate and will cost roughly a single week's disposable income is always going to be hard to ignore - throw in the possibility that this *might* be the amp that bridges the gap between portable and fullsize sound and its a potent combination. Sanity dictates that few people will have a garage filled with discarded speaker amps, but a cupboard full of portables - now there's something for the hoarder in all of us :wink:

To date, very few amps have come close to realising that dream, but the latest generation of 'super portables' holds a lot of promise. Personally, its not about being able to drive the HiFiMan orthos from something that fits in a camera case - its about effortless power, scalability and headroom with 'realistic' cans. We take a lot of those things for granted now, but until late 2010 the majority of portable amps didnt scale well - spending $650 to buy the Lisa III ($950 with PSU) just didnt stack up against the mains-powered amps that sort of money bought. Anyone trying to drive something like the HD650 from a portable often found themselves with the volume at 3pm or higher, often with corresponding degradation to the sound.

If we put the balanced offerings to one side, we have a small set of amps promising 'big' single-ended power - the Corda Stepdance, RSA SR71A, iBasso D6 and P4 and, most recently, the Just Audio AHA-120. Throw in Phil Larocco's latest incarnation of the Lisa, the 'L3', and suddenly HD650 owners have a lot less to complain about. If there is a fly in the ointment, its our ongoing obsession with the small form factor amp - with the possible exception of the Lisa III/L3, all of the aforementioned are smaller than they appear in website photos, but none are an ideal mate for an iPod Classic. The ideal form factor still seems to be something along the lines of the Headstage Arrow, basically a slightly thicker 'credit card' that fits easily into a pocket. My suggestion for those determined to drive big cans with little amps is to suck it up and get something with larger pockets, people - overalls are making a comeback this year :wink:

Casting Audiophile Pretensions Aside

In any hobby, you will always find 'Nth Degree' obsessives, and audio is tailor-made for these folk. It doesnt take long to become a 'Gear Queer', especially in the headphone world where we arent constrained by the need to house massive power amps and 6-foot high speakers. The worst kind of audiophile spends nights in a basement, poring over obscure recordings in an endless quest to hear even more obscure artefacts that most of us will neither know of nor care about. If Keith Richards broke a guitar string at the end of 'Jumping Jack Flash', its not going to rock my world if I dont hear that - I'm more interested in the 99.99% of the track that preceeded the string malfunction.

The counter-argument, of course, is that anyone who isnt hearing those artefacts is potentially missing out on so much more detail in every recording, and why would anyone aspiring to 'hi-fidelity audio' not want to hear as much detail as possible ? Surely anyone not prepared to work overtime to get the necessary gear just isnt serious about improving their listening experience, right ?

Here's the catch - I actually *like* my mid-fi world. If I win the lottery tomorrow, that might all change, but I wont be sitting in a basement listening to a limited edition vinyl release of 'Sticky Fingers', waiting for the 'magic' to happen. There is a lot of buzz around various portable components of late, but I'm of the opinion that this segment is more likely to appeal to the 'music lover' than the hardcore audiophile : the latter will inevitably find more enjoyment in the latest edition of The Absolute Sound than they will in any of my feeble attempts at describing how a ~$250 amp sounds.

Portable Amps and the Cultural Cringe

Its easy to become defensive about a portable amp when its held up against a fullsize amp - suddenly, the bang-for-buck ratio is in serious danger. 'Overpriced CMOY !' and '$30 worth of parts that sell for $300 !' are two of the more common criticisms, and a lot of it is from hobbyist amp builders who cant understand why someone wouldnt just build their own portable amp and save a bundle. If you can build a better amp than those currently being offered for sale, more power to you - I cant, any more than I can create a better Office program than Microsoft Office or OpenOffice : until someone starts 'releasing' free amps, I am prepared to pay for one. While I'm sure there are some very good sub-$100 amps out there, including kit offerings, I havent heard of one with the power and flexibility of the commercially-available amps - always happy to hear otherwise.

Whatever the BFB ratio is, two things are inescapable - you are unlikely to leave your house with a fullsize amp to audition a new pair of headphones or sit in a library/airport/hotel room for a few hours at a time. In a power outtage, that $1500 tube amp is just another shiny piece of 'audio jewellery'. Most folk accept these downsides on the basis that the magic WILL happen when the electrons start to flow out of that wall socket, and thats great. The powerful delusions that keep telling me that I can have a capable transportable rig are sufficiently powerful to blot out that kind of logical thought. I am aware of the longterm risk of throwing money at portable kit that might be better spent on a desktop rig, just as I am aware of the longterm risks associated with alcohol consumption - both make me happy, and neither is likely to bankrupt me.

If we stop trying to compare portables with fullsize amps, it comes down to a very simple question - how good does my rig sound to me ? Not 'how good does it sound compared to a desktop rig', but 'how good does it sound compared to comparable portable amps'. One-upmanship doesnt end with portable vs desktop amps - it runs right through audio until you find people who have rigs that bear the vaguest resemblance to anything from a commercial manufacturer. Some of the pre/power amp combinations out there are flatout scary - headphone amps are total wimps by comparison. 

The standard review method on certain sites seems to involve reaching for pair of 'big' cans to see how well a new portable amp can drive them, then plug the amp into successively more expensive sources to see how well it scales - I just dont know how much relevance this has for someone wanting to drive reasonably 'light' cans/iems from a DAP. And that brings me to my next point - read on at your peril.

Power Output Ratings

If I have one wish, its simply that there needs to be a single, objective measurement for a headphone amp. My personal preference would be a 32-ohm measurement under load with a pair of Grado SR60i plugged in : I have no idea how feasible that is, but it might save confusion when one amp is rated at '40 mW into 32 ohms' and another claims '650mW+650mW at 32ohms', while a third has no published power output beyond some wild claims on the website. Its great when people buy an amp and tell you it drives their HD650, but I'd still like to see that standardised figure.

We dont miss what we dont have

I hesitated to start this on the basis that I dont own anything from Leben, Woo or Triad Audio, but the more I listened to the portable amps the more it became apparent that I needed to put something together. Many headphone enthusiasts prefer simple impressions to a full-blown 'review', but the former have a tendency to get lost in the middle of a thread, and both of these amps have threads spanning many pages. Call it ego, or purchase justification, or simply madness, but I wanted to post a little more than a few scattered impressions in either thread. I have included selected impressions made by other Head-Fiers at the end of this thread in the interests of balance, but ultimately its all very subjective, and thats showbiz.

One of the grim realities of the professional reviewer is that they have a lot of kit, and the core of it is seriously expensive. I accept that, and I accept that my kit, by comparison, is crap. Its just better crap than I had before I discovered (quality) headphones. If someone tells me that a 25K source from Meridian, Esoteric or Gryphon will reveal layers of my music that I didnt even know existed, I dont have a problem with that - its like telling me that a Ferrari Dino will leave my old Mazda 3 standing still - no amount of wishing will turn the latter into the former. Similarly, would my less-than-golden-ears even appreciate a lot of the detail on offer from the 25K kit ?  I can only tell you how much I enjoy the kit that I do have - I cant speculate on kit that I dont have. 

I have heard some very nice (mid-fi) speaker rigs, but I've never heard the Zana Deux or the Leben into a pair of orthos - please bear all of that in mind as you read this rant and my listening impressions. I still believe that there is more than a grain of truth to the quote that I have placed at the beginning of the listening impressions - talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Head-Fiers will inevitably have a contrasting viewpoint to mine, and my impressions shouldnt overly influence or deter anyone from buying this amp or that. One of the cliches in a comparative review is 'I thought component ABC was good until I hooked up XYZ - man, I didnt know what I was missing !'. Unless you have Richard Branson's bank balance, my advice is to enjoy 'ABC' for as long as possible - there will always be an XYZ, whether your budget is $200 or $20,000. Nothing wrong with aspiring to the next rung on the ladder, but it shouldnt ruin your appreciation for what you have - happy to hear otherwise from the lucky swine with the Meridian/Gryphon/Esoteric gear.

Do I even NEED a portable amp ?

A properly driven headphone sounds amazing at very low volumes - boomana, Dec 2009

Its an amplifier, not an equalizer. I contend that some of us confuse the two - we assign some truly magical properties to headphone amps, but they will only ever be as good as our source and headphones. Perhaps I simply havent heard the 'magical' amps, or perhaps I need to spend more time with amps that have bass boost and other settings. Lord knows the amps in this review are fairly boring affairs when compared to the Practical Devices XM4/5/6.

Those who are content with the sound from the headphone out on their current source should really ask themselves if they want to pollute the simplicity of that configuration with a headphone amp. Each new link in the chain carries the potential to color (or, worse, degrade) the sound you originally enjoyed. I often listen via IEMs straight from my 6G Nano and enjoy it immensely - for truly portable use, its tough to beat that kind of simplicity.

If, however, you want a 'bigger' sound and you feel that your source just doesnt scale as you crank the volume, an amp might help. I dont subscribe to the notion that we can somehow 'inject' bass into bass-light cans with an amp, but we can get those drivers to show us what they've got at every frequency. Anything that gets us closer to hearing what those $150+ phones are capable must be a good thing, IMO.

Note that its not about volume, at least for me - a good amplifier should sound good at any audible volume. I spend hours each weekend listening to music with my E9 set to around 8:45am, a fraction of the power potential of this fantastic budget blaster. Volume increments are smooth and music scales nicely - I expect nothing less of a portable amp. For IEMs, its essential - the last thing you want is to be constantly trying to find that elusive 'sweet spot' on the volume pot.

The Absolute Worst Reasons for Buying a Portable Amplifier

1. Because they look 'cool'. Seriously, get a '68 Barracuda with a 340, pistol-grip shifter and post a few photos in the Head-Fi lounge : way, way cooler. Geeks love gear, no question, but its a crap reason for buying an amp. 

2. Because you just bought a 'killer' pair of K70*, 600 ohm Beyers or, worst of all, HiFiMan orthos and you read that some of the new portable amps have enough cojones to drive them. OK - you now have a choice - sell the phones for something easier to drive or buy a desktop amp. Even if you are prepared to go fully balanced, you need to sit down and ask yourself whether this is the best possible use of your funds. My advice is to drink a few beers while you think about that.

3. To prove some sort of obscure 'point'. I admit to being guilty of this with the uHA-4 : having ignored numerous blazing FOTM amps for over 2 years, I bristled at the comment that the Leckerton could 'easily compete with amps costing $300+', despite the fact that I dont actually *own* any amps costing that much money. It niggled me because it was the kind of wild claim that just doesnt seem to be challenged very often on Head-Fi any more, at least in the 'Portable Amps' forum. End of the day, is it any skin off my nose if people want to make such claims ? Would I rush out and buy two battery-powered drills simply to challenge someone's claim on a forum about electric drills ? 

In short, I strongly urge anyone who is considering building their audio 'future' around portable kit to make just one desktop purchase, and its an exceptionally cheap one at that. Buy the Fiio E9, plug those 'killer' phones in at 9am on the volume dial and slowly start to increase the volume. The alternative recommendation for those with their hearts set on the HiFiMan orthos is to buy a pre-loved speaker amp and run the phones from the speaker posts. In either case, what you are looking for is effortless power and grip : that comes a lot more cheaply from mains power than it ever will from a battery pack, unfortunately - happy to hear otherwise from anyone who is running their HE5LE from a 9-volt.

If we could design our own amp

The audiophile mantra is simple : 'neutrality, transparency and absolutely no coloration'. Logically, it makes sense that this is how an amp should be : a perfect funnel for our (theoretically) pristine source, neither adding nor subtracting, and I'm sure that makes a lot of sense once you get over the 3K mark. I havent heard a sub-3K speaker amp that adheres to the aforementioned mantra - Marantz, in particular, deliberately aim for a warm, euphonic 'house sound' because they know that sells amps. Go too far down that road and you end up in Bose territory - audio treacle.

It doesnt end with Marantz - NAD, Cambridge Audio and Rotel all have distinctively voiced integrated amps, although I admit that I havent heard their flagship models. They may be closer to the aforementioned audiophile ideal, but the optimum sound signature for many of us would seem to be a compromise between the euphony of valve amps and the dynamics of solid-state. To my ears, Marantz do a pretty good job of achieving that balancing act, but I dont know how easy it is to shrink one of their speaker amps down to something the size of an iPod Classic. If I could design my own headphone amp, that is exactly what I would want to hear - a 'mini-Marantz'.  

Does the novelty wear off ?

Sure it does. Like any new toy, an amp either becomes part of your life or its sold/hidden away. For over 18 months, I used a single portable amp, the D4, while my T3 sat in drawers or at the bottom of a suitcase, to be resurrected recently when I finally found a universal DC adapter with the right tip.

The D4 has taken an absolute pounding. I'm down to a single thumbscrew at the back, the casing is scratched and the nice silver cover from the volume control disappeared years ago. Anyone subjecting desktop gear to the same level of punishment would have to ask themselves if audio was really the best hobby for them, but the D4 still makes me happy. With the Topkit installed, its warm and friendly, if lacking the power, imaging and separation of the P4. The DAC section failed within 6 months of my buying it - dodgy mini-USB connection - but the amp section kept chugging away. Biggest complaint with the old warhorse is its appetite for 9-volt batteries, but it could be worse - the SR71A reportedly chews 2 a week under heavy use. Somebody alert Greenpeace :wink:

The T3 is a pocket powerhouse, but I stupidly ignored it after the D4 arrived. Warmer and darker than either the (stock) D4 or the P4, this tiny amp would surprise a lot of HeadFiers with its tight, punchy sound. Unfortunately, too many of us want to drive larger headphones with our portables, and that is where the laws of physics kick in : the little guy has to work that much harder than the D4/P4 to achieve a given output level. The T3 might be an awesome little terrier in its own right, but its just not going to drive your HD650 or 600-ohm Beyers, even with its 3-way gain fully engaged.

I liked the P4 a lot, right up until my brother-in-law put a drill bit through the PCB. Its not an episode I'm proud of, but I learnt a valuable lesson about home hardware and relatives-by-marriage. Nix one $245 amp - great. I had already decided that a USB DAC/amp was a better transportable solution for my netbook than the MSII+D4, and that led me down a very shaky path. Common sense told me to get the D6 - the dual Wolfson DACs from the D4 married to the power of the P4, for only a few dollars more - but a sad little man inside me thought that was too logical. Its always dangerous when factors other than intellect take over.

Its only MONEY

I worked with a guy some years back who had a very nice mid-fi speaker rig - at the time, I had little interest in audio and wondered how someone could spend thousands on a pair of speakers : I now realise that he had spent his money very wisely. While I'm sure there ARE people out there with speakers stashed all over their home, only the truly obsessive would have speaker collections to rival the headphone collections of many Head-Fiers, and its much the same with amps (interestingly, few of us seem to collect DACs or turntables, at least FWIR). Even then, there is a physical limit to the number of large desktop amps most of us could comfortably keep, particularly when each has a different power connection.

Enter the (trans)portable amp. Even if you had every amp from Skylab's epic thread, you could fit them all in a modest cupboard. Or a display case. Hmmm - portable amps as collectibles ? Why not - some would seem to be more interesting visually than sonically, and several have a place in the history of the headphone amplifier. Some Head-Fiers will laugh, but I wasnt laughing when I saw one of my old diecast cars on TV recently, or at least one that looked like mine did when new - they arent quite the same after a couple of months in a child's sandpit - the difference being that this was valued at 66K. How many 8-year olds do you know that didn't take their toy out of the packing, stashing it in a drawer for the day when it would be worth thousands ? Freaks.

For those intent on actually using their portable amp, is it a poor investment ? Compared to the same money invested in a desktop rig, the answer is 'probably'. If you do most of your listening at home, amps like the M-Stage are going to outperform most portable amps, but its hard to beat the flexibility of being able to listen completely off the grid, theoretically anywhere in the world. Both of the amps in this review can be charged from USB, removing the need to carry a wallwart and a wall-socket adapter for travel. If we keep our expectations down to 'realistic', that means bigger sound than most of us will have with a DAP and a pair of IEMs.

Even those who purchase a cupboard full of portable amps are still 'wading in the shallow end'. This is a quote from a review of the Meridian 808.3 Reference CDP/Pre-amp in the May/June 2011 edition of 'Australian Hi-Fi' - all prices in Australian dollars -

let's assign dollar values to all three components .. you're paying just $8,332 for the CD player, $8,332 for the pre-amplifier and $8,332 for the DAC.

That's 25K, and you still need an amp, speakers and cables. As good as the Meridian undoubtedly sounds, even exotica like the Apex Pinnacle (10K USD), into any combination of orthos you could name, suddenly makes head-fi seem like a massive bargain (granted, sources will be just as expensive as they are for speaker rigs). As I said, those of us who insist on messing around with portable amps really are wading at the shallow end of a very deep pool.

Er, where were we ?

Enter the uHA-4, current darling of the FOTM set on Head-Fi. Unfortunately for me, I took the bait, and a big part of the attraction was the price. One of the things that I realised during my time with the P4 was that I really wouldnt use 70% of the available power with the cans I favour - even the 150-ohm RE262 isnt going to need the 650mW per channel on offer with the D6. Landed cost for the iBasso amp would have been >$60 more than the Leckerton - time to give something new a shot. To be fair, the T3, D4 and E9 all started out as major HeadFi FOTMs, so I have to be careful where I throw my  handful of stones. FOTM-bashing is fun, but not when it shines a bright light on my own purchases :wink:

* fwiw, I havent abandoned the idea of getting another P4 - the effortless power and generally warm, forgiving sound signature really made an impression on me - but I'm hesitant to spend any more money on audio right now.

Apples and Oranges

This isnt a fair fight. In one corner, we have a relatively pricey device designed to do one thing - amplify an analog signal. Clad in a very attractive case, the UHA-120 must be our firm favorite here, but what of the bedraggled Leckerton ? DAC wizardry jammed in with the amp circuitry in a slimline case about 1/4 the size of the 120, built to a price by hapless convicts on their lunch-break at the number plate factory : its the classic underdog.

Reality check - they are both 'amps', and they are both competitors in a super competitive market : portable headphone amps under $300. Nick Leckerton might have shaved a few more dollars from his retail price, and included a USB DAC for pennies, but those of us who like to mate our amps with a DAP (and those of us who already have a DAC like the MSII..) have no use for a USB DAC. Suddenly it comes down to two budget portable amps designed to drive IEMs and fullsize cans up to 300 ohms. The usual disclaimer applies to insensitive orthos and other headphone oddities - just buy a desktop amp or a different pair of cans. For most of us, either of these amps should have sufficiently large cojones to make our cans sing.

For those who consider the uHA-120 to be a 'much more expensive amp' than the Leckerton, when you include delivery I would have paid an additional 50 AUD over the uHA-4 if I hadn't opted for the Vishay pot. Whether you value form factor and the addition of a USB DAC over outright amp performance is your call, but I dont believe I am comparing an apple with an orange here, particularly when several Head-Fiers have reported that the smaller amp does a good job driving the HD650. If you do feel I have unfairly pitted David against Goliath, it might be time to read up on how that particular contest played out :wink: 

The Piggy in the Middle

Other than the subjectivity of my listening impressions (I make a point of listing my personal biases at the beginning of the review), there is another elephant in the room. The mood of the reviewer. I challenge everyone to listen to new kit after a tough day at the office and then again (same tracks) after a decent night's sleep. There were several times during the review period when I found both amps 'too aggressive' to the point that I didnt want to keep listening, and there were other times when I didnt want to stop listening to my favorite music with one amp or the other - I was 'in the moment', and it was less about the gear than the music - of course, thats exactly the way it should be.

I also find the whole process of working through music (while listening intently to give accurate impressions) to be antithetical to the way I normally prefer to listen ('passively'), letting the standout moments surprise me rather than tryng to anticipate them). I've tried to ensure that my observations are based more on the 'good' listening sessions than the times when I wasnt enjoying the experience, but the reality is that most will simply choose more laid back music for those times when they dont want 'in your face' tracks.

Everyone is equal in the dark

As much as I enjoy looking at Justin's amp, particularly when compared to its more homely adversary, none of that really matters. What matters is sonic capability. The uHA-120 received some very favourable raps for its sound at initial release - unfortunately, there hasnt been a lot of forum activity since - just the occasional post from new owners happy with their purchase. This is fine by me, but newer Head-Fiers seem to looking for cries of 'Wow !' and 'Shazam !' instead of carefully worded posts that speak to longterm ownership enjoyment.

Nick's amp, by contrast, generated a flurry of excitement that put it firmly into Head-Fi FOTM territory. Its in good company - most of the RSA amps and almost anything new from iBasso or Fiio tends to get the same treatment within the first month or two after release. The better products stand the test of time, and lesser FOTMs tend to disappear without trace - such is the way of the world. A great deal of the UHA-4's popularity, like the Fiio E7/E11, has to be put down to very attractive initial pricing - the first buyers picked this amp up for $179 and were clearly impressed with the sonics. Within weeks, Leckerton increased the price to $199 and there were some rumblings from a few HeadFiers about the fact that they were 'just about to order' when this came down the pipe - all I can say is that budgets that tight would be better served by the House of Fiio, and I dont mean that sarcastically. Fiio make great bang-for-buck kit. 

I do get 'function over form', but in such a competitive niche market I think Leckerton owe it to themselves to beef up the cosmetic appeal of their offering. I doubt that Just Audio actually manufacture their amps in the UK - happy to hear otherwise - but the customer receives a very professional looking amp that seems designed to last for many years. The 'Designed By Just Audio' insignia on the back of the amp would suggest that the uHA-120 is manufactured in the same country as the uHA-4, to slightly different standards of fit and finish. iBasso deliver a very polished Chinese-assembled product, the P4, for little more than I paid for the uHA-4 : this isnt about 1990s perceptions of Chinese quality control. For the sake of a little more attention to detail, I believe the uHA-4 could be as attractive on the outside as it is sonically. 

Without further ado, its on to the post I like to laughingly refer to as 'The Review'. If you thought this rant was unbearable, wait until I start unleashing terms like 'timbre' and  'sparkly treble'  :wink:

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 50
The Review -

Reviewed:
uHA-4
Portable DAC/amplifier from US-based manufacturer Leckerton Audio, MSRP 199 USD
http://www.leckertonaudio.com

uHA-120
Discrete, Class AB Portable amplifier from UK-based manufacturer Just Audio, MSRP 199.86 GBP
(optional Vishay P11 potentiometer included with review amp - 19.98GBP)
htto://www.justaudio.co.uk / http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk (Sales)

Review Period : May-Jun, 2011

Specifications (per manufacturers websites)

uHA-4
Max output power:
20 mW into 16 ohms
40 mW into 32 ohms
50 mW into 100 ohms
15 mW into 300 ohms
THD, A-weighted:
  <0.025%, 1 mW into 32 ohms
  <0.025%, 1 mW into 100 ohms
Dynamic range, A-weighted:
   93 dB, USB input
  102 dB, analog input, 32 ohm load
  108 dB, analog input, 100 ohm load
  +10 dBV max into high-impedance load (>600 ohms)
Frequency response: 13 Hz to 22.5 kHz, +/-1 dB
Op-amp supply rails: +/-5 VDC
Battery life: 24 hours typical
Enclosure: aluminum

uHA-120
Maximum Continuous Power output:
60 mWrms/channel into 32 ohm @ nominal (3.6V) battery voltage;
10 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load @ nominal battery voltage;
16 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load @ fully charged (4.2V) battery voltage;
28 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load with 5.2V USB power supply;

Distortion (THD): <0.005% @ 1KHz (-20dBu to 5dBu output level)*;
Dynamic range (dBA): >100dB
Bandwidth (-1dB): 10Hz-40kHz
Output impedance: < 7 ohm
Output current limit: +/-80mA per channel
Maximum Gain: 12dB;
Battery recharge time (max): 2.5 hour fast charge; 6 hour normal charge;
Dimensions (approx): height=23mm; width=52mm; length=85mm
Weight = 125g +/-1g
* Both channels driven with 32 ohm headphones connected.

Other kit referenced in this review:
Amplifiers : iBasso T3, Fiio E9, iBasso D4 w/Topkit
Headphones:  Audio-Technica ATH-AD900, Grado SR60i (modded), HiFiMan RE262 in-ear monitors, SoundMagic PL50 IEMs
Sources :    HRT Music Streamer II, iPod Nano (4G, Sept 2010)
Music/Listening Impressions: see below

Presets

I didnt use any EQ - hardware or software. Neither amp has a bass boost switch and I left both the Gain and X-Fade switches on the Leckerton in the off position. Any references to other amps are made with gain set to the lowest level.

Other Impressions Threads

uHA-4
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4

uHA-120
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523183/just-audio-uha-120-headphone-amp

At the time of writing, I am not aware of any other reviews of these amps. Mike at Headfonia has nice things to say about the AHA-120, Justin's Class A portable, but there doesnt appear to be a great deal out there on either amp and certainly no comparisons between the two amps.

Acknowledgements
This might be the only time I put this much effort into anything on Head-Fi, and I'd like to acknowledge the efforts of those who have spent countless hours writing reviews/impressions and posting images for the rest of us to enjoy/learn from, then answering endless questions with incredible patience. There are many others, but I have only been a board member for a short time and these are the people whose work I encounter most often

skylab
headphoneaddict
qusp
ljokerl
hiflight
uncle erik
project86

Without the continuing efforts of members like these, Head-Fi will be little more than a gigantic hypefest with the blind-leading-the-blind. You dont have to spend long on Google to realise the the ONLY impressions of a given component are usually found here, particularly if its a headphone amplifier, and countless other sites (including manufacturer sites...) will point to those impressions.

Personal Prejudices

I consider two things essential to any review/impressions - a listing of ancillary kit used and an admission of the reviewer's personal prejudices. The first appears at the very top of this review, the second goes like this:

- I usually prefer a brighter/upfront overall sound to anything I perceive as 'dark'
- I like bass punch, but I'm not looking for 'seismic' bass
- I generally prefer warmth over razor-sharp resolution, the exception being some acoustic music and female vocal
- I'll take emotional involvement and ambience over technical accuracy anytime, euphony over razor-sharp transients
- (soft) hissing from an amp has never particularly worried me, but grain does : your mileage will inevitably vary

Those who prefer the Ety ER6/RE0 over the RE262 (or virtually anything over a pair of Grados) might have a very different set of impressions to mine - thats life. Short of reeling off tech specs and measurements, I dont know how anyone can make a totally objective call re sound quality. We can implore Stereophile to run some measurements on both amps, but I suspect that their tech guy might have a backlog resembling the container loading area at the Port of Los Angeles.

I freely admit that I approached this comparison with the intention of proving that most of the hype around the Leckerton was classic Head-Fi FOTM madness, and that a lot of the hysteria is dimmed when a tiny DAC/amp like this is put alongside a dedicated amp for a slight increase in price. Thats the kind of bias that simply shouldnt preface anything resembling an 'objective' review, but this is a very subjective set of listening impressions from an amateur music lover : Caveat Emptor.

Baselines

In the week or so leading up to the arrival of the two amps being reviewed here, I spent a lot of time listening to the review tracks with the iBasso T3 and the Fiio E9. For those who havent heard either amp, both punch well above their asking price. I would consider the tiny T3 to be the 'bare minimum' in terms of what I want from an amp - anything else is just a cheap toy for the bass boost brigade. ClieOS recently posted that he considers the Fiio E11, a $60 amp, to be on par with the T3 and slightly preferable in some small ways - my question is 'what took Fiio so long ?'. The T3 remains an accomplishment - a 'real' amp in a tiny casing - and it has taken the competition a long time to catch up. I also like the fact that it goes against the usual brightly-lit approach of smaller amps, and its relatively dark sound sig is a good foil for comparison purposes.

For all the T3's undeniable ability, bigger amps *sound* bigger and I continue to be blown away by the E9. I ignored the homely black Fiio for a long time, but it has been an eye opener - it forms a neat bookend at the other end from the T3 in performance terms, with the D4 somewhere in the middle. If I could have the combination of power and finesse on offer in the E9 in a battery-powered amp costing less than $400, I would be a very happy man. For those who havent heard the E9, and wonder how such a cheap amp could possibly sound good, all I can say is that it does, at least to my ears. Just feed it a decent (line-out) analog signal, give it 20 minutes to warm up and happy times will ensue. 

We have our modest baselines - both are cheaper than either of our review candidates, and the uHA-120 cost more than both combined. Does spending more money automagically deliver a better amp ? Bring it on. 

The Ordering Process

I ordered the uHA-120 from HiFiHeadphones UK (http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/), having followed the link from the Just Audio website. They have two choices for the uHA-120, and I paid a few extra pounds for the Vishay P11 a 'studio grade volume pot' - all up, my Mastercard was billed to the tune of AUD 305 including a very reasonable fee of less than $20 for shipping. Ironically, UK buyers will pay more for their homegrown headphone amp, courtesy of VAT - its a contentious issue among retailers in Australia, but at the time of writing we dont pay any GST/VAT/import duty on imports costing less than $1000. Full marks to hifiheadphones for deducting the VAT from my purchase price - I have no idea how tax/import duty works in other parts of the world, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

The amp was 'In Stock' at the website and stated delivery time was 5-8 working days - this was lengthened by the fact that my dips*t bank didnt OK the transaction until 3 full days later - clearly, having staff work on a Friday night is too much when you make several billion dollars profit a year.

Fast forward to Monday night, and a phone call from Robin at HiFiHeadphones - he wanted to confirm my email and shipping addresses. I have to say that I found this a bit unusual, but the UK is literally on the other side of the world and my night was his business day. Robin seemed very enthusiastic about the amp, and encouraged me to contact them if I had any questions or if my order hadnt arrived within 10 days - he indicated that 6 was more common for delivery to Oz. I received the amp about a week after the Leckerton, and I remain less than impressed with the Royal Mail's 'online tracking' - basically, they just tell you that it has left the country and it will be delivered in Australia. Still, it was cheap.

Leckerton Audio sell the uHA-4 from their own website, and overall it was a smooth process, but I didnt get a shipping notification for several days after I placed my order - the website does point out that shipping happens 3-5 days after ordering, leading me to assume that someone has to do final assembly and, hopefully, some quality control. Shipped price was AUD 224, with a shipping a little more expensive than the uHA-120 but still very reasonable. I received the amp about a week after ordering it and was very happy with the overall experience, particularly given the horror stories re shipping costs incurred with other US carriers. Ask a Canadian what it costs to have something shipped across the border.

Out of the Box

I have no idea why both companies settled on the 'uHA' designation (ultra Headphone Amp ?) for amps that were both released in early 2011 - perhaps Justin and Nick can enlighten us on this unusual coincidence. I dont know of any link between the two companies. Justin's amp is a debutante, while Nick's isnt - Skylab reviewed the uHA-3 in May, 2007 and deemed it a 'bass lovers amp'. Beyond that, Leckerton hadnt made too many ripples on the Head-Fi forums till early 2011 when they released the uHA-4 and the uHA-6/6S, a larger portable available in vanilla USB mode and an SPDIF DAC variant.  

Its apparent that Leckerton are chasing a slightly different section of the portable amp market, clearly aiming the UHA-4 at the HeadFier on a budget. This is reflected in the external appearance of the UHA-4, which one HeadFier described as 'looking like it was made in prison'. Personally, for the $224 total I paid for the amp (incl $25 delivery to Oz), I wasnt as critical of the overall appearance - its smaller than anything I own except the T3, and machining those faceplates cant be an easy task. Headamp and TTVJ would probably reject the slightly ragged edge on one of the slots on my uHA-4, but that is reflected in the price of their amps - personally, its a lot lower on my list of priorities than the sonics. That said, the Leckerton isnt going to win any beauty paegents. 

The UHA-120, on the other hand, looks even better in the flesh than it does in photos. It also feels solid in my hands - reassuring when I paid $80 more for this than the Leckerton (incl $30 for the optional Vishay pot). Those who value pride of ownership over a relatively small impost on the cost of the Leckerton would be better served by spending the extra dollars, IMO, although neither amp could be described as 'pretty' in the tradition of the original Pico (380 USD landed in Oz, 530 USD for the multi-colored DAC/amp variant). If you have 530 USD, please post some photos of the Pico for everyone to enjoy :)

For many of the portable persuasion, this wont be a 'contest' at all. The combination of a slimline profile, price and the addition of a USB DAC will have them reaching for their credit card, and I understand that. Fiio can do the same magic trick  more cheaply, and the US-made Headamp/TTVJ offerings cost considerably more money : Leckerton's 'Slim' amp is an attractively-priced middle ground that slots in between the two, with the added attraction for US customers that it ships from CONUS. iBasso may have a very capable DAC/amp in the $199 D4, but they need to swap the 9V battery for a slimline rechargeable battery pack and wrap the PCB in a slimline case : until then, Leckerton have a virtually monopoly at this price point.

(Disclaimer: I havent heard Fiio's E7, and it may offer more amp performance than I have been led to believe)

Burn In

I like to get 50 hours on a new piece of kit before I try to attempt any dramatic prognostication about the sound - skeptics can just skip to the next section, but that 50 hours includes plenty of time actually listening to music. I dont post an hour-by-hour breakdown of perceived changes, and my attitude is simple - if a source/amp/headphone cant show me something of its potential after 50 hours, I'm wasting my time putting it in a drawer on a loop for 3 weeks. The various 'white noise/pink noise/voodoo incantation' formulae don't interest me either, but I do want 50+ hours before I'm prepared to tell the world that something sounds less-than-stellar : anything less isnt being fair to either the kit or my ears. 

Others had reported that the UHA-4 sounds abysmal straight out of the box - that wasnt my initial impression using it as an amp for my Nano. Plenty of power, punchy bass - good first impressions - but switching to the USB DAC from my netbook was less impressive. Given that this is an amp comparison, I'll belay any further discussion of the DAC in the Leckerton for my discussion of the importance of a quality source in getting the best out of these amps.

The uHA-120 sounded pretty good to me from minute one - not really sure how they do it, but I'll take 'listening to music from headphones plugged into my new amp' over 'burning an amp in a sock drawer for 2 weeks' any day. My eyes roll around in their sockets when I read about a portable amp that needs 1200 hours on it to be ready to 'really perform' : that is the kind of dedication that belongs in the desktop world. I guess I'll never get the 'Audiophile' tattoo, but thats fine with me.

Everything else mentioned in 'Other Gear' has hundreds of hours on it, with the exception of my RE262 - they are somewhere over the 50-hour mark, fwiw. Nothing I have read indicates that they need more than a few hours - inevitably, someone will object to the use of new phones to assess other new kit, but thats life. The RE262 are easily the closest thing I have to a sonic microscope, albeit without the neutrality of their HiFiMan siblings, the RE0. The Grados look like they also had an unfortunate accident with my bro-in-law, but we can thank Bilavideo for their hollowed internals, and I thank him most sincerely. Owners of stock SR60s really need to hear these.

Part B - Source Considerations and the uHA-4 DAC

Garbage In, Garbage Out - ancient law of everything from art to computing

Both amps benefit from a good source - no surprises there - but that means the quantity of the analog signal as well as quality. Trying to amp the Nano from the headphone out was a markedly less enjoyable experience than using the LOD signal, and the output from my MSII was stronger again. Those of us who enjoy listening to music at low volume levels will really notice the difference, particularly with the uHA-4.

While this was never intended to be a review of the DAC in the uHA-4, it would be remiss of me not to mention it. I said in one of the uHA-4 threads that my initial impressions werent very positive, but I have since reassessed that view. While its not on the same level as either the D4 DAC or the MSII, the ability to hook this thing up to your netbook/laptop is fantastic - the D4 is bulkier and I would question whether most will appreciate the difference between the two DACs with a lot of music/movies/clips in situations where you really need this sort of combination. The explosions/gunfire etc in movies like 'Transformers' pack plenty of punch - throw in a decent set of IEMs and you have a portable entertainment centre costing well under a thousand dollars total, much less if you already have a laptop.

Inevitably, someone will ask me what I feel is 'missing' in the uHA-4 DAC, and its simply this : with any of my headphones, I prefer the uHA-4 from either the LOD on my Nano or from my MSII. Movies also have more oomph from the latter, but very few people would carry something that large onto a plane - reality dictates that the DAC in the uHA-4 will make a lot of people happy, and you have the added joy of knowing that you are recharging your amp at the same time : serious win-win.

If it highlighted anything, it was that iBasso really need to release a slimline version of their current flagship DAC/amp, the D6. It wouldnt need as much power, and it would need changes to the charging circuit to facilitate USB-charging, but if they could pull it off it would be fantastic to have those Wolfson DAC chips in a slimline package like the uHA-4. Dreams are free, and you could do a lot worse than plugging a uHA-4 into your laptop to listen to a few tunes on a long-haul flight. 

The Dreaded 'S' word

I tend to roll my eyes when I see claims about synergy between certain phones and entry-level amps. Common sense says that you simply wouldnt build a product at this end of the market without ensuring that it worked well with a wide range of headphones, but I accept that the human in the middle wont always hear different headphones 'logically'.

I am hesitant to make any reccomendations re synergy : at various times in the creation of this review I was absolutely convinced that one headphone or another was a 'poor match' for a given amp, only to change my opinion a day or two later. Feel free to attribute that to 'burn in', but I think it goes hand in hand with another 'phenomenon'. Each time I plugged the RE262s into the uHA-120, my initial thought was usually 'Whoa ! Thats BRIGHT !', and my reaction was to switch to the AD900 or PL50s. Part of the problem is that I rarely get the fit right with the RE262 first time, but I also think there is a lot to be said for giving your ears time to adjust to a 'new' amp, a 'warm up period' if you like.

Of the two amps, I felt that Justin's amp was more revealing, but I didnt feel that either amp was too analytical for use with most mid-fi sources. I would recommend the uHA-120 over the uHA-4 for those stuck with using the headphone socket on a DAP, although volume levels from both were adequate from the headphone out on my rather pedestrian Touch. Neither has anything approaching the power of the iBasso P4, but you will find yourself maxxing out the volume on the Leckerton if, like me, you dont like the aggression introduced by the gain switch. Unfortunately, I dont have any hard-to-drive cans to really push these amps to their limits. 

I also feel that the uHA-120 would do a better job with more expensive cans - it renders instruments like piano and acoustic guitar more naturally than the uHA-4, at least to my ears. Paradoxically, my uHA-120 (Vishay pot) would be my last choice if I had sensitive IEMs : as discussed extensively in the uHA-120 thread, Justin is prepared to custom build a 'low gain' version with the stock pot for those who want to use his amp with said earphones. The Vishay pot has the much-maligned channel imbalance at the first 'barely audible' notch on the pot, and rapidly gets louder from there. I had no problems with the RE262 or the PL50, but neither is a 'sensitive IEM'.

As I said previously, given a choice I would plug either amp into the MSII/AD900, but then I may as well use my E9 with that combination. Telling people that a portable amp has 'fantastic stage' while wearing a pair of cans that wouldnt work anywhere other than in your home just seems unfair to me - the AD900 wouldnt even work in an office situation, sadly - they simply leak too much sound. Fortunately, I am able to give some soundstage feedback courtesy of the RE262, but thats the best I can do.

Sound Part 1 - Leckerton Audio UHA-4

Assessed purely as an amp, I have to say that I enjoyed the Leckerton immensely. Some of the hype, at least to my ears, would appear to have a foundation in reality. This is a budget blaster par excellence - anyone with a reasonably good source and commensurate mid-fi phones should have an absolute ball with this pocket rocket (please see my disclaimer re hardcore audiophiles at the end). I mentioned earlier Skylab's assessment of the uHA-3 as a 'bass-lovers amp' and I think that holds true for the uHA-4 too. The AD900 isnt known as a basshead phone, but the punch from kick-drums and bass guitar was there in spades. Percussion is bought forward, and drum runs are particularly good, albeit at the expense of the midrange. Fans of an expansive soundstage need to look elsewhere - even with the AD900, I felt that I was listening to a 'small amp'. For me, thats not the end of the world - we just need to be realistic and I feel that the dynamic musicality of the Leckerton amp makes up for it.

Several veteran Head-Fiers may bristle at this, but I think Leckerton may have built the amp that many newbie HeadFiers think an amp SHOULD be - warm, bassy, dynamic and just plain 'musical'. The accepted wisdom that an amp should neither add nor subtract from the purity of the source has, to my ears, been cast aside in favour of something more instantly appealing. We have countless threads asking 'what will an amp really do for my music ?', and quite a few from people who are disillusioned with their first purchase (or worse, their fifth ..), often because they arent hearing anything 'new' - its just louder. While the chain will only ever be as good as your source/phones, and I'm sure I'll cop flak for this, many of us look to an amp to do more than drive our headphones : we want the 'instant party'. In my opinion, the uHA-4 has a lot of 'instant party' built into the amp section - its not a portable subwoofer, granted, but new buyers should be able to hear a difference between the headphone out on their source and this amp.

I need to be clear here - this isnt an amp for relaxed listening sessions, IMO, unless you listen exclusively to acoustic tracks and you may be just as happy with the T3 if that is the case. The ever present 'dynamic bass punch' can be a double-edged sword, particularly for those who prefer a more balanced sound. Feed the amp a strong, clean analog signal (LOD output from my Nano and the output from my MSII, for example) and you will be rewarded - piping the headphone out from my Touch, on the other hand, resulted in something less stellar. Still plenty of detail, but nowhere near as punchy and involving. Those wanting Nth degree refinement, grip and sniper-rifle resolution might be happier with another amp, although it would be interesting to hear from someone using the amp with custom IEMs - I admit that I may be constrained by my gear and my ears.

The volume control is a little different to the norm - its a toggle : 'pump' it in one direction and the volume goes up, pump it the other way and it goes down. Personally, I prefer the normal 'dial' approach, but I had no particular problems with the toggle. Kicking in the gain on the Leckerton definitely gives you more volume, but at the expense of a more aggressive sound - for some, that will be manna from Heaven, but I suspect that it will turn an equal number off. The crossfeed switch was a bit of a disappointment for me, as I didnt notice any audible difference at all - I guess this would only be apparent if I had recordings with an exaggerated stereo bias, or maybe I just have cloth ears : your call.

Anyone with sensitive IEMs and a preference for listening at very low volumes will be happier with the uHA-4 than the 120, at least the version with the Vishay P11. I checked for channel imbalance on both and Justin's amp has a textbook case at the first audible 'notch' on the rotary dial - it disappears immediately thereafter, but it will still be an issue for some. Justin has reportedly acknowledged this and claims that the stock volume pot is a better choice for those with sensitive IEMs - fortunately, this isnt a particularly big deal for me.

Leckerton have gone for a mainstream sound with the uHA-4, and they have really pulled it off on the amp side - its very dynamic and inviting. Serious audiophiles, especially those with a passion for classical, are unlikely to find this to their liking, but for the rest of us its an enjoyable amp that should satisfy even the most obsessive small form factor nut. It wont win any gold stars for absolute neutrality or transparency, but those things are unlikely to matter to the majority of the amps target audience.   

Sound Part 2 - Just Audio UHA-120

Hmmm. I am conflicted about this amp. Its the closest portable I own to the E9 in terms of the body and weight it brings to my music, and I believe it will scale well to better sources/phones, but is it the best choice for truly portable use ? Form factor aside, I'm not sure that it would be the ideal first amp for many Head-Fiers : its pluses weren't immediately apparent to me, and I wonder how many would prefer the Leckerton after a 3-minute listen at a meet.

I've read a bunch about how one amp or another has finally bridged the gap between portables and fullsize amps, and maybe its all true, a few unhappy campers notwithstanding. The problem, as I see it, is physics - until recently, you needed something the size of the Lisa III to even get close to what a fullsize amp could do. I bought the miserably cheap E9 purely to address the notion that 'big amps sound bigger' and was forced to accept that it *did* sound bigger than my P4. I have absolutely no idea how Fiio can sell their black box for so little, but the '1 Watt' rating has to be some kind of 'in joke' at Fiio - this thing will smoke 32-ohm cans.

Getting back to the UHA-120, it impresses with subtlety - black background, sweet treble, solid bass and gorgeous mids. I stumbled across some of Justin's design ideas behind the uHA-120:

Of course, the idea of creating a pocket sized amp isn't new, but we noticed that everyone in this market seemed to be just using an operational amplifier or some form of dedicated amplifier IC combination. Coming more from a Hi-Fi power amplifier interest area, we felt that using a commercial IC would never provide the same level of audio quality as a carefully crafted discrete circuit, so I set about building some prototypes of more discrete topologies usually found in larger power amplifiers. A few months later we had determined most of the system level components (battery, charging, connectors, volume control pot), along with a hybrid class AB topology that we had built in enough flexibility to fine tune and provide what I felt is a more High Fidelity sound, yet able to operate from a low voltage power source.

Krell and Musical Fidelity arent likely to be revamping their product range to deal with competition from a 60mW 'power amp', but the proof is in the pudding - the amp boasts clean, crystal clear sound.

You are in for an aural treat *if*:

- your phones are capable of rendering bass accurately and with vigour commensurate with your music
- your source can transmit gobs of detail, and your headphones can render that detail
- you value a coherent, believable soundstage and solid imaging

If I had to use a single word to describe the sound, it would be 'balanced' - this is an amp which does so very many things competently while excelling in a few key areas - others have mentioned the bass impact and I agree, but its certainly not at the expense of the mids. There is no 'one-note' bass, and definitely no muddy doof-doof bass : percussion hits hard, and you wont be left in any doubt that there is a kick drum driving the rhythm section, but its not to the detriment of the remainder of the frequency spectrum. At my age, I dont hear the farthest frequency extremes, but what I do hear sounds gorgeous, especially the mids. Again, this is an acknowledged strength with phones like the RE262 and my Grados, but the midrange is significantly more tactile on this amp than it is with the same phones plugged into the Leckerton. Its cliched, but vocalists on more intimate tracks sound like they are in the room with you, just metres away. I particularly like the fact that the treble is delicately rendered without any trace of harshness - few things are more annoying than having a high note inject an icepick into your brain.

Listening Sessions

Talking about music is like dancing about art - Anonymous

Those seeking a clinical breakdown of the treble, bass and mids of each amp will probably be better served elsewhere. While I am happy to mention different parts of the frequency spectrum when they stand out on an individual track, its not my main focus. If anything, I am more concerned with any aspect of a component that overpowers the overall balance of a track, especially boomy bass or piercing treble. Having lived with the SR325is for 18 months, I know how the latter can eventually wear you down no matter how sensational the rest of the listening experience might be. I also owned the Ultrasone DJ1, and bass bloom impinges on the all-important midrange : an equally big no-no for mine. Combining both of these evils would be about as bad as an amp could get, IMO - I can almost grasp the appeal of mildly V-shaped phones, but a V-shaped amp ? Uh, no thanks.

I'm not a fan of 'switch hitting' with kit - quickly changing from one to the other to try and get a fix on the differences. We've all done it, particularly with phones, but its not a strategy guaranteed to give you a coherent impression of either component, IMO. While I cant put my hand on heart and say that I spent a straight week with each amp, I did make every effort to avoid the constant switcharoo. Most of the 'magic', for me, seems to happen when I have turned off the 'critical ear' and I'm just kicking back and listening to music I like. I dont have any 'audiophile recordings', and I cant think of anything worse than running A/B tests to try to analyse kit based on material like that. Even with music I enjoy immensely, it soon became a chore. Read on at your peril.

Choosing a Source and Headphones

In an attempt to give some consistency to the listening impressions, I settled on the following:

6G Nano->iBasso LOD+CB07->amp->RE262 or Grado SR60i

I did this despite the fact that I feel the MSII/AD900 presents both amps more favourably. While I dont doubt that many will use portable amps at home in a bedside rig, with bigger cans and better sources, I had to acknowledge that this isnt realistic for any sort of (trans)portable use. Anyone faced with 3 months in a hotel room (I know IT folk who have been forced to do exactly that), some will take that sort of kit with them, but for most it will be DAP+lightweight phones.

In normal, 'laid-back' mode, I would be happy to listen with either amp using the Grados, but things changed when I plugged in the RE262s. So much of this is personal preference rather than a 'black-and-white' choice between two amps, but hopefully these impressions will give you a frame of reference. Apologies to those who listen predominately jazz, classical or electronica, but its useless giving impressions of music I dont listen to regularly.

Tracks

Where possible, I have included a link to a YouTube version of each track - hardly the most pristine recordings, but its preferable to any attempt I could make to describe the style/tempo of each piece of music. If I mention a sax or guitar solo, at least you have some idea of what I'm on about - in a perfect world, you could click on each song title and listen to a hi-rez version of the song. Yep, I want that world too :wink:

The majority of the music in this review began life as WAV files ripped via EAC, but some of it is 256K AAC iTunes downloads. Several of the WAV originals have been converted to ALAC, some have remained in WAV format, but in any case I don't perceive any major difference between the lossless files and the 256K downloads - YMMV. I have also used both amps with movies and Youtube vids of varying quality - overall, I think the Leckerton is more forgiving with the latter.

Set 1 – Metal

I'll leave it to the Wikipedia 'experts' to debate the difference between 'melodic death metal' and 'melodeath', but I like several of the bands to emerge from the whole 'Gothenburg sound', whether directly or in homage to the earlier bands. I also admit to a fondness for some metalcore acts - Deftones, Killswitch Engage - but its a sub-genre which divides many metal fans. The rest is just 'classic' metal - Maiden, Priest, Sabbath - and thats really all she wrote. Growled vocals arent everyone's cup of tea, but for me they often highlight the quality of the musicianship around the vocalist.

The Day You Died, Arch Enemy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxboYVglHsM

Most of the focus here is on the interplay between the twin guitar attack of the Amott brothers overlaid with Angela Gossow's incredible vocals. I think both amps do a good job here, particularly with the guitar, but the difference for me was the vocal. Live rock isnt always easy to render, with so much going on in a relatively small musical 'space', but I preferred the overall impact from the uHA-120 on this track.  It does a good job of separating Gossow from her musicians without detracting from the live excitement of the track.

Misery's Crown, Dark Tranquility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjzDU7V7es

Arguably their most 'commercial' effort, it highlights the power of Stanne's voice and the willingness of the band to  experiment. Again, the uHA-120 nudged out the Leckerton amp here, especially as the song progressed. This has a lot of bite with my Grados, less so with the RE262, but both phones found me reaching for Justin's amp over the uHA-4, which doesn't render the piano or Niklas Sundin's guitar with the same authority and precision.

End of the Line, Devildriver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAXB_Swj-Y
I admit that I'd never seen John Boecklin's name in any listing of 'Great Metal Drummers', but his efforts on this track are just sensational. Probably about as hardcore as anything I would listen to on a regular basis, its hard to deny the raw power in this track. I thought the Leckerton did a good job with the intro, but it seemed to struggle a little as the track became more complex, resulting in some smearing of the instrumental backing. The UHA-120 also did a better job of controlling the rampant bass attack here.

Ordinary Story, In Flames
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLg8YZBqu4s&feature=related

Anders Friden slays me – his vocals are an iron fist in a velvet glove. To some Head-Fiers, this will probably sound like some guy screaming out a bunch of lyrics, but its so much more. I like what the Leckerton did with the vocals here, and both amps seemed a little overwhelmed by the cacophony that punctuates this tune.  The 120 does a good job with the percussion, but I did find the presentation a little too polite in sections – slightly prefer the Leckerton's delivery here.

Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjvfUEOr0N4

How many businesses have been around since 1975 and are still making money ? How many multi-millionaires in their mid-50s still get up on stage and belt out a set for fans that range from 16 to 60 ? These guys largely pioneered the idea that you could have 3 guitarists on stage without total chaos, but without Nicko's incredible efforts on top of that drumkit it wouldn't be the same. Steve Harris is a supremely gifted guitarist who reportedly approaches it as his job : its a shame my 9-to-5 cant be like this. The 120 does an excellent job with this track, and its not hard to imagine the entire band on stage belting it out – everything is crystal clear from drums to vocals. The uHA-4, by contrast, gives a more 'urgent' presentation in keeping with the lyrics but I thought it lacked some of the clarity of its competitor.

Private Property, Judas Priest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTJ81da2IU

I suspect that these guys may even pre-date Maiden, and they are Metal Royalty. Rob Halford's incredible vocal range and  Glenn Tipton's undeniable guitar virtuousity are the stuff of legend. The Leckerton picks this track up and runs with it, albeit without the detail on offer from the 120. For some reason, possibly poor production, I thought this sounded 'splashy' in places - I know that's a woeful adjective, but its the best I can do – just an uneven tempo that may have been courtesy of the live recording environment.

This is Absolution, Killswitch Engage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QexDxxmaoYU

I couldn't tell you who does what in this epic tune, but Howard Jones and Adam Dutkiewicz can take credit for the immense vocal power on show here. Dutkiewicz can also play a guitar, and that comes in handy too.  There is a lot going on in this track and I didn't find the Leckerton to be as sure-footed as I would have liked. I thought the uHA-120 sounded more coherent here, and it definitely nailed the interplay between the two vocalists. Also preferred the drums on the chunkier amp.

Source, The Duskfall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCs_HMUOE8

Those Swedish Winters have so much to answer for - Ikea, Volvo and Abba - but I can forgive all that when I listen to a band like The Duskfall (ok, maybe Ikea and Volvo ...). Easily the best song ever written about coffee, Source is a ripper.

I broke out the Grados for this track, and it was immensely enjoyable with both amps, but I felt Justin's amp did a better job delivering bass punch and resolving the majority of the musical cacophony without losing any of the excitement. The uHA-4 had a tendency to become too aggresive as I cranked up the volume - for those who listen at low volumes that wont be an issue, and it did a very good job with the guitar on this track.  

Set 2 - Stadium Rockers

These bands tend to get a bad rap from those who view commercial success as anathema to any kind of musical growth - whatever, I enjoyed their efforts and I've seen quite a few of these bands live in environments which would leave many of the Indie bands floundering. If I seem to be sitting on the fence here its because my baseline for most of this stuff is commercial radio and thats a pretty low benchmark - easily eclipsed by everything I own.

Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WeTf67YLY

Jim Steinman really ruffled a lot of feathers, both in the rock world and in musical theatre, by fusing one with the other and putting a huge guy in a tux out front to deliver the whole glorious catastrophe. Another tune that was played to death by commercial radio, but I still love it. I think the uHA-120 does a better job with the subtleties here, particularly the strings, but the track is just so over-the-top that I tend to just lay back and let it wash over me. If you like this stuff, I think you will be happy with either amp.

Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTJHhUeAfc

When you own every Springsteen album ever released, picking one isnt going to be easy. Fortunately, none of the others feature a sax solo that compares to Clarence Clemons' superb effort on Jungleland. It has all the other ingredients - tinkling piano, soaring guitars and exceptional narrative - but that solo should be in the Smithsonian. Jersey has had to weather a great deal in the last century or so, but redemption never sounded so good. Again, I like the way Justin's amp handles violin, piano and saxophone, but both amps do an admirable job. 

GnR - You Could Be Mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC9L-BZ1PI0

Axl is undeniably bitter and twisted, but this is much better than 'November Rain' and other radio stalwarts. I could go with either amp here, although I like what the Leckerton does with Slash's guitar. The 120 is more analytical, but this is one of those tracks where you may be happier just going with the flow.

Journey - Be Good to Yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF7w-qWWTnA

I like Journey, but for many they are the quintessential 'boring old has-beens', and radio hasnt helped. They are back, with a controversial Filipino lead singer who has slowly won most over (all bar the most racist rednecks) to his unique vocals, but for many Steve Perry will remain the voice of Journey. AFAIK, Glee hasnt murdered this tune - my advice is to get it before they do. Its very good stuff on both amps, although I prefer the Leckerton's 'boosted' presentation slightly. 

Coldplay - Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uqLM1uj_k

If we ignore the band for a moment, I think this has held up well for something that was played to death on radio. Love the riff, even if we've all heard it a million times. Right from the opening note, the 120 clearly means business with  Chris Martin&Co - its glorious, if a little peaky in parts (that could be the Grados). 

Rush, Time Stand Still
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFyG8hXvQY

Still sounds as good today as it did the first time I heard it. Geddy Lee's voice and the female backing vocal are both highlights, but its the way Neil Peart's drumkit seems to 'float' around me on the RE262s that really blows me away. Its also where the uHA-120 shows its class - added weight and resolution really bring the HiFiMan IEMs to life here. The song is still very enjoyable on the Leckerton, but switching back to Justin's amp gives Peart a chance to show why he is widely regarded as one of the best drummers in mainstream music. Exceptionally good.

The Chemical Brothers, Three Little Birdies Down Beats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTdvPmbcbDs

Hardly 'stadium rockers', but a long way from 'cringeworthy' - my sole concession to the electronica freaks on HF, and  fortunately, I like the track. I preferred the Leckerton with this track, simply because I suspect the uHA-120 was trying a little too hard to be analytical when it should have just gone with the flow. Interesting that I don't find it 'overly analytical' with most of my metal - might just be my personal bias coming out here. 

Set 3 - Female Vocal

No Diana Krall, I'm afraid, and my selections will be too mainstream for some - such is life. This isnt opera, but its not Britney either – make of that what you will.

Pink Floyd - Great Gig in the Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydj4OJnwQ

OK, Floyd are an all-male ensemble, but they hired a superb jazz singer for this classic from DSOTM, itself one of the great rock albums of all time. I read somewhere in the uHA-4 thread that another Head-Fier felt the Leckerton has exceptional mids - all I can say is that he needs to hear the uHA-120 with this track. Enough said.

Tracey Chapman, Fast car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orv_F2HV4gk

The mark of a great song, for me, is one that you dont tire of no matter how many times you've heard it. Fast Car still gets a run on Oz radio today, decades after Chapman recorded it, and it still sounds damned good to me. Tracey has one of those distinctive voices that I recognise instantly, and I want an amp to emphasise that. I felt the Leckerton did a really good job with this, and I seemed to be able to find the 'right' volume setting on this one. Her guitar was nicely handled, and I was able to visualise Chapman on stage somewhere in the late 70s. As the song ramps up, I preferred the way the 120 dealt with the drums in the background, but overall it was the vocal delivery that tipped the scales slightly in the Leckerton's favour.

Puccini/Maria Callas, o Mio Babbino Caro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvrHxQ3qjAE

I believe Callas provokes mixed feelings among classical fans, but I like this. I need to go out and buy more Puccini. The 120 completely wowed me with this, although I admit that there are times when her powerful vocals threaten to overwhelm Justin's modest circuitry. I tried very hard to enjoy it on the Leckerton (w/RE262s), but it simply wasn't as good : 'inconsistent' is the best description I could give. It surprised me as I consider female vocal to be one of that amp's strengths.

Leona Lewis, Yesterday
Reality star makes good - still, the lady can sing and this track has some very slick production backing her voice. Tinkling piano leads into a pounding kick drum/handclap bass section overlaid with Ms Lewis gorgeous vocals. The 120 handles all elements really well, never allowing either the kick drum or her voice to completely dominate, while I felt that the uHA-4 may have given the kick drum a little more prominence. That said, her high notes are beautifully rendered on the Leckerton, leading me to consider this one a coin toss. Oddly, I thought the hand clap sounded more realistic on the Leckerton, but it was also more intrusive - your call.

# Footnote - owners of the iBasso P4 really need to listen to this track with at least 50 hours on your amp. That kick drum is a jaw dropper anywhere from 9am on the dial, and it was the first time that I looked down at the amp and thought 'where the hell is THAT coming from ?'

Pink, Just Like A Pill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDKGWaCglRM

I wasn't a fan of Ms Alecia Beth Moore aka Pink until I heard an acoustic version of this track on breakfast radio a few years back. Underneath the carefully marketed image is a powerful voice with a lot more texture and nuance than most of her hits would have us believe. Technically, she isn't in the same league as some of the others in this set, but I know who I'd rather see live, particularly in a larger venue. You go, girl.

Home run, Leckerton. Right from the start, it shocked me with punchy bass, hefty vocal delivery and a generally lively performance into the RE262. The catch, as usual, was that as I ratcheted up the volume things just became too aggressive, at least for me - the 'va-va-voom' which gives the uHA-4 so much of its appeal becomes too much of a good thing. The 120, by contrast, seems more laidback - I preferred the Leckerton by a small margin, albeit at lower volume than many Head-Fier will probably want to listen to this ballsy track. Younger HeadFiers may actually enjoy the aforementioned aggression commensurate with increased volume.

Set 4 - Mellow Stuff

Whether its classical, soundtracks or Jeff Buckley, I doubt that any Head-Fier can live without something along these lines. Unfortunately, I just dont listen to enough classical music to be able to give folk truly accurate feedback beyond what I think 'sounds good'.

Josh Groban, February Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzk09LOxszc

I know - first Meatloaf, now this - its a plot, right ? For all the radio airplay, I still like Groban's voice. Big production on this track ensures that it should wash over you after a tough day at the office.  I like the vocals on the uHA-4, but the piano lacks weight for me. For some, that is the way it should be - put the star up front and leave the rest as 'backing music'. I'm nit-picking, but there is also a tendency for the slim amp to lose a little of the plot as the track progresses - its hardly shambolic, but those looking for more refinement need to take note. The same section is handled more adeptly by the uHA-120, but I suspect that Mr Groban's producers would like this played on kit costing considerably more than the sum total of all my kit combined.

Slash w/Myles Kennedy, Sweet Child of Mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JgSp_pS3ZE

I had to break my 'no switch-hitting' rule on this, swapping between both amps and phones to try and get a fix what it is that would make me tell you that the uHA-120 presents acoustic guitar more realistically than the Leckerton. I'll start by saying that I really like the way the uHA-4 handles this track, and I think treble is one of the amp's strengths. That said, it has a lighter touch than Justin's amp - there are sections of this track where Slash is plucking at the strings rather than strumming them and thats easier to visualise on the uHA-120 - if I can get all audiophile on you, transients are cleaner/sharper and decay is a considerable improvement, even to my aging ears. Both do a good job with Myles vocals, and I definitely like the mids on the uHA-4 more than I did during the first few hours with it.

Jeff Buckley - Forget Her
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0svGjVEP8

Most breakup songs are sentimental crap, and I suspect this could have been much the same in the wrong hands. Fortunately, Jeff was able to give a cliched story new life - its especially sad that he is gone and we still have Michael Bolton. There is a huge kick drum under Jeff's lilting vocals, and its particularly apparent on the 120. Whether it was indicative of my mood or whatever, I preferred the uHA-4 with this - again, it may have played to that amp's treble strengths. On any given day, I would be happy to listen to this on ANY combination of my kit - its just a good song, period.

Black Eyed Peas, I Gotta Feeling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSD4vsh1zDA

Another track that still sounds good to me despite extensive high rotation on commercial radio. Both amps convey the building excitement here, with the 120 doing a slightly better job with separation and imaging, but this isnt rocket science, and I think the Leckerton's 'party mode' sound has an overall edge with this track.  

Set 5 - Cringeworthy
We all have a few 'guilty pleasures' in our playlists - tracks that would have the hardcore gagging but which you just cant find the strength to delete. No ABBA, Kenny G, Bolton or Bieber, so perhaps all is not lost. Haters gonna hate, but I promise I would never play any of these without the lights off and the blinds closed.

Michael Jackson - Beat it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0hZG-zNOk

I own exactly one Jacko download, and this is it. Its a one-off from a time when he could do no wrong musically, and the rest is history. Eddie Van Halen claims that he laid down the guitar solo one Saturday morning, just him in the studio with a producer - whatever, it works. If I needed proof that you cant review an amp with a single pair of phones, this track provided it. I really didnt like it at all from the Leckerton into the RE262, but a change to the Grados was instant PARTY TIME. The whole track came alive, from the oh-so-recognisable intro to Eddie's mammoth solo - Leckerton can take a bow for creating an amp that makes my Grados sound soooo much better than they have a right to be. I thought the 120 did a better job of controlling the bassline, but possibly at the expense of the sheer joy that the Leckerton bought to this legendary tune. Break out your moonwalkin' pants, kids, and fire up the De Lorean !

Korn - Alone I Break
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryfwfc_946w&playnext=1&list=PLCB635303E041C5B9

Until Linkin Park arrived, I dont think too many bands ticked off the hardcore more than Korn. Whatever - I still like a few of their tunes, and their fans have moved on to Lamb of God, so its win-win. This is a moody track, plenty of atmosphere and I especially like the vocals from the 120. Hell, I like everything from the 120, even if there is a tendency for things to get a little boomy  (from the Grados) as I crank the volume. Given that this amp normally does a very good job keeping bass under control, I'll put that down to the recording rather than the amp : its worse on the uHA-4, and I didnt feel the Leckerton delivered vocal nuances as well as the heftier amp.

Linkin Park - Numb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQCE2iK6tG4

Ah, LP - so angry, so wildly commercial, so intensely disliked. Take that hatred, multiply it by 50 and thats how I feel about ABBA, but the generation after mine dug them up. Life is full of disappointment - embrace it. This tune has an intro designed to have you raise the volume, only to be hit by a wall of sound - they got me again, but I adored the vocals on the 120 even if I sensed that it was working a little too hard to separate the background jumble from that tinkling piano and the sweet-and-sour vocals. Didnt enjoy it as much from the uHA-4, but the E9 is the only amp I own that seems to do justice to it so thats no disgrace. 

Avenged Sevenfold - Critical Acclaim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDtrYMCCMX8

One of very few high-points from a decidedly weird effort I dragged home, this track stands out for being the only song I can remember to defend the American invasion of Iraq. Maybe it was timing, maybe it was simply designed to tick people off - in any case, I like the bass grunt on this ditty, and I'll leave the rest to rock historians. The uHA-4 comes out of the gate hard, in line with the general tone of the track, and the vocals are delivered in line with that thumping bassline – if I knew which flag I was supposed to be burning here, the Leckerton might well have me looking for some lighter fluid. I'm not too fussed about how well either amp performs with this – its just not a track I listen to that often.

Set 7 - Aussie Rock

I've tried to avoid the more cliched stuff, but its impossible to ignore Noiseworks : how this band didnt conquer the US is a mystery to me. Their sound was tailor-made for those stadiums, and Jon Stevens had the hair and tight jeans to rival Brett Michaels. Such is life. 

Noiseworks - Reach Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFX0pgXdd7g

It just didn't get any better than this in Oz in the early 80s, despite the efforts of Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil and the Angels. Epic crotch rock - find me a stadium anywhere on the East Coast and these guys could still fill it. The Leckerton surprised me with a very aggressive sound into the RE262 on this track, so I quickly switched to the 120 and happy times were restored. Not sure what happened here - both sound good via the Grados, but for some reason the Leckerton seems to want to pump everything up to 'live' levels and it didnt work for me. Time for a break and a coffee, methinks :wink:

Butterfly Effect - In These Hands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7Q2M6saWM

Just ignore the Wikipedia entry for these guys - they are immensely gifted musos who could easily go in whatever direction they want to in the future. This tune is a classic, and the guitar riff sticks in your head - jaw-droppingly good Oz rock.  Both amps do a very good job delivering the goods here, and again it drove home that the Leckerton swaps some accuracy for excitement, at least to my ears, while the uHA-120 is a stickler for resolving every note as perfectly as it can. Combine that with the superb bass on show here and its a win for the heftier amp.

Cog - Sharing Space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y7c6r2NUOk

Cog annoy me - they dont release anywhere near enough material. Denounced by some here as a 'bogan band' and others as 'Tool Wannabees', I like their music a lot more than I like Tool (or bogans, a group far worse than Tool). Right from the opening bars of the live version (I have both versions),  I knew this was something special with the 120 – with the Grados, it plants you right in the front row at the gig. Palpable imaging, glorious percussion and those unmistakeable vocals – its all here, and its here with the kind of power these guys deserve. The Leckerton also does a good job, but the presentation seems less immediate, and a bit lightweight by comparison.

The Getaway Plan - Where the City Meets the Sea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbkmnkIfgIo

Young guys out of Melbourne got a lot of fans and record execs very excited, then disbanded. This is power pop the way it should be done - listen up, Short Stack and the rest of the teen pretenders. Aaah, this is what the Leckerton was made for - its every bit as excited as those fans, but significantly less disappointed. This is tailor-made for the Grados, and I would hand this to the Leckerton purely on the basis that you aren't going to be leaping around an imaginary mosh pit with the uHA-120. Love that guitar, lads. 

Parkway Drive - Horizons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZnVAOepD6U

Young headbangers from an unlikely beachside town on a mission to play metal their way. While I'm not wild about the choppy Youtube vid, the studio effort is a ripper. The lead guitarist should be locked in a vault in Canberra - a national treasure. The 120 hits hard from the get-go, and I love it on both Grados and RE262. There are layers here and I really like the way Justin's amp delivers this song as a coherent whole with everything in its proper place. The guitar is particularly sublime - I could listen to this for hours on end. Bravo. The Leckerton amp has all the same ingredients, does a good job with the vocals but again I couldnt help feeling that 'va-va-voom' overpowered the tune. An ice-cream sundae is fantastic until the coke starts oozing over the lip of the glass - I liked the bass delivery, but the guitar just wasnt as good for me. I also found the vocals a little over-cooked, although we arent talking the Three Tenors here :wink:

And thats it - one set of breathless listening impressions complete. As another Head-Fier said in the disclaimer for his own impressions, 'I could be insane'. I may also have cloth ears, and I may simply have spent too much time trying to find differences that I am now so hopelessly confused that I will tell you anything just to get this thing finished.  In any case, none of this should be construed as the 'last word' – on a different day, in a different mood, it would be very easy to change my view on some of the above impressions, particularly with different cans. Several of the above tracks just dont play well with the AD900, for example, and they are my favourite cans – I dont know of a single rig that is all things with all music.

For those who may feel that I have done a 'hatchet job' on the Leckerton amp, I admit that was my initial intent but it surprised the hell out of me. Many of the 'minuses' I have identified above simply wouldn't have been obvious without having other amps to compare it to, and obviously that would apply if I were comparing the uHA-120 to something further up the ladder. If there is any value at all in committing this hodgepodge to the vagaries of an internet forum, it lies in the fact that I hope I've given Head-Fiers a clearer understanding of what I was looking for with my kit than just saying I like 'guitar solos and kick drums'. A quick look at the YouTube vids will soon confirm that my musical tastes are both narrow and tragic, but they are there for all to see and it makes a change from the Head-Fi obsession with Diana Krall and Tool (imagine that double bill coming to town !).

Listening on the street

I spent roughly 15 minutes walking to my sister's house with the Leckerton hooked up to two of my more underwhelming 'tools' - my 2009 Touch and the SoundMagic PL50s. Suddenly a lot of things make sense with the uHA-4 - whatever Leckerton have boosted here works brilliantly with traffic whizzing around and many of my concerns about there being 'too much of a good thing' went straight out the window, literally. I was particularly impressed with the way the amp bought the PL50s to life, given their fairly boring presentation with almost everything else I own. While I stand by my 'passive' observations, particularly in regard to the lack of weight compared to the 120, I acknowledge that many Head-Fiers will enjoy the uHA-4 immensely in a genuinely portable environment. 

Oi, what about the T3/E9 comparisons ?

Listening to 'Beat It' on the portable amps, I recall thinking 'wow, we must be awfully close to the E9 here'. It is with considerable sadness that I must report that I found the E9 absolutely sensational with the Grados on this track, so much so that I replayed it several times just for the sheer joy of hearing that bassline and the solo. Why sadness ? Because my dream is to find a portable that can give me something approaching the performance of the E9 - clearly, I didn't spend nearly enough money. The 120 gets closest, but its not quite good enough. Even when I went to 'February Song' to see how well the Fiio dealt with something softer, I was blown away - I don't think the treble is as sweet as it is on the Leckerton, but the mids just completely pick me up and drag me away on the E9, all from a completely black background. Metal into the Grados just hits so hard, percussion exploding around me - I doubt that any other company could sell this amp at this price.

So what about the little T3, former darling of the tiny amp brigade and still a potent performer ? This was tougher - I needed to give myself more time before being able to say categorically that the uHA-4/uHA-120 were a significant leap from their much cheaper (and smaller) competition. Just as the 120 has more 'scalability' over the uHA-4, I think both amps sound 'bigger' than the iBasso mighty mite, but its not Grand Canyon bigger by any stretch. If anything, the portables are a lot closer to the T3 than they are to the E9, IMO, and I think a lot of Head-Fiers would be shocked by the sound this amp can generate, both in quantity and quality. Ignore it at your peril, particularly if you favour IEMs or easily-driven cans – it may not have the bass punch or the mids of the uHA-120, but its about 1/8th the size ….

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 50
Recommendations

1. For those new to Head-Fi and intent on dipping their toes into the portable amp world, you should have the Leckerton on your shortlist alongside kit like the Fiio E7. A combined DAC/amp for that sort of money makes a lot of sense.

2. If you have been underwhelmed by your initial choice in the portable amp world, but you are willing to give it another shot, I strongly recommend that you sit down and honestly assess whether a home amp makes more sense. If still have your heart set on a portable amp, add the Leckerton to your shortlist - those who dont need a DAC should strongly consider the iBasso P4, particularly if you want to drive larger cans.

3. If you own sensitive IEMs and dont want to spend a lot of money on the Pico Slim/TTVJ Slim, shortlist the Leckerton and iBasso T3D alongside whatever Fiio amps take your fancy. Justin is prepared to build a uHA-120 with reduced gain for IEM users, but I remain unconvinced that its going to be enough to sway folk away from the slimline amps on offer.

And that brings me to the Just Audio uHA-120. I honestly cant recommend this as a first amp, and I'd even hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a 'fix' after some initial disappointment - its better than that, but it wont leap out to many Head-Fiers the way the Leckerton does. It suffers for the lack of a DAC, a gain switch and, most importantly, by virtue of an 'un-sexy' form factor. The Leckerton uHA-4 is a clear winner on those fronts, although I dont think its as good as the iBasso P4 for similar money - the P4 has neither a DAC nor the desirable form factor of the uHA-4.

Now that we have that out of the way, who *should* shortlist Justin's amp ? If you:

- have enough experience with kit to know the difference between short-term joy and long-term satisfaction
   - know the difference between an amplifier and an equaliser
   - accept that a $300 portable will never be a $900 tube amp
   - are prepared to accept a slightly blockier form factor over something that will slide into your purse (ok, man purse :wink: )

then I think you will be very happy with the uHA-120. I still think its a little bright on first listen, but it just gets better with each passing hour while I suspect that Leckerton may have peaked. For those seeking bass punch from an amp, I have experienced nothing better then Justin's amp, including the Fiio E9, particularly with the Grados. Ultimately, its the added weight that Justin's little amp brings to my music that sets it apart from my other portables. I wish I still had the P4, but for now this is as good as it gets for me in terms of portable amps I can lay my hands on.

Conclusion

You can spend a lot of money on a (trans)portable rig, and those who put their money into desktop kit have a point about the level of diminishing returns in the portable realm. In some ways, we are spoilt for choice when we start looking at single-ended portable amps under $350, particularly in terms of their ability to drive bigger cans (ok, bigger than would have been considered feasible 12 months ago). Even after shortlisting several worthy candidates, its easy to spend weeks flip-flopping between alternatives as you try to reconcile differing impressions of each. In my case, kit choice can come down to a coin toss, but its tough to even get to that point. This might read as a sales pitch for the uHA-120, but I'm confident that many would be equally thrilled by an amp from iBasso/Ray/Jan/Justin W. or Todd - for many, it will come down to dollars-vs-perception. Whatever metric you use, eventually a choice has to be made, and I have made my choice between these two little powerhouses. 

One of the observations I would make about professional reviewers is that they have a fondness for adjectives like 'tad' and 'smidgen' when describing the difference between two components. I understand where this comes from, particularly when perceived differences reflect personal preference more than an objective gap in performance. I want to be unequivocal here - Justin's amp is in another class above the uHA-4 sonically. It has more of everything in my opinion - more weight across the frequency spectrum, a more coherent and believable combination of imaging, layering and soundstage and better control over the lower registers. I dont have golden ears, and that is purely my opinion - both are better than anything at this price would have been just a few short years ago.

It comes down to a simple question - are you prepared to spend $50-80 more for an 'excellent' portable amp over the 'very good' rating I would give the Leckerton ? Do things like build quality and pride of ownership factor into your decision-making process, or is it purely a bang-for-buck exercise ? If its the latter, its hard to argue against the uHA-4 : as a DAC/amp, it has a lot to offer sonically. The uHA-120, by contrast, only performs a single function but it performs that function beautifully.

We continue to ascribe magical powers to amplifiers, but the 'magic' here lies in the fact that both these (comparatively)  cheap little boxes do their job admirably, allowing your headphones to do their job. Ideally, that just leaves you with the music, and isnt that what its all about ? 

Peace Out,

estreeter June 2011

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 50
Selected Quotes from other Head-Fiers (work in progress)

HeadFiers on the uHA-120
cn11
It's a ballsy amp for sure. I had never heard that level of bass, flat, on any portable amp. This includes the RSA Mustang and Shadow, ALO Rx, and the mentioned Arrow. The bass is even more deep and extended than my Lisa III w/power module (bass knob flat).

Talk about a huge, detailed sound, with stunning bass. Wow. Now this is system synergy. Really, really large sound, with the most crystalline treble, and wonderfully expansive mids. The only way it's lacking in comparison to the Lisa III rig is in soundstage size, and perhaps a little air. The bass is superior, and I think possibly even that crystal-like treble quality. I'm hard pressed to choose between the two for sound quality.

bowl1ng:
I am very pleased with my recently purchased amp, a very well manufactured and robust pocket sized portable amp, (exact size and depth of a packet of 20 cigarettes), I have been interested in an audiophile quality small portable amp for quite a while. As soon as I switched it on and the low warm thump of the vishay volume pot kicked in I was keen to play some music with it, my source and my primary use is a 4th generation 80gb iPod classic LOD line out and Apple lossless format. I was most keen to be able to use a portable amp that would be able to drive my low impedence Denon AH-D5000 cans that I adore, I did speak to Justin the designer and owner at Just Audio, he was extremely helpful and most informatve and extremely enthusiastic , as it should be with a newly developed product.I was very impressed with this amp, the sound quality matched with the Denons was warm and luxurious, superb detail and every nuance there to hear, the highs were crystal clear, the mids warm and liquid and the bass most excellent. I have also listened with my Grado 325i cans and the sound quality is also exceptional, I would consider myself an audiophile from way back to the 70s and more high end gear has come and gone over the years than you could shake a stick at. This gorgeous little amp ticks all the boxes for me, a true pocket sized audiophile quality amp, just perfect whilst cooking and on the move, a very, very, impressive product and a snip at the cost.

daveathall:
I am new to this and find it very difficult to remember how something sounds when switching between one and the other, and also how best to describe those sounds/differences, but I found the uHA-120 to be clearer (cleaner?), different layers of the music previously unheard were discovered and the separation was more pronounced between instruments and artists. As for fit and finish I have nothing really to compare it with, I have not been lucky enough to see or listen to other portable amps in the same price range (or any price range for that matter) but it certainly is well screwed together with a tactile feel, the volume knob turns smoothly, the on indicator light glows a satisfactory yellow and the charging light turns from red to green on completion of charge.

FreeBlues:
I tried an early model uHA-120 with custom IEM's (UE-11's) AND the new ALO CLAS, a device that seems to send a very, very hot signal to the amp.  The volume was 'blow your ears off" at a volume level just above zero.  I loved what I heard, but the amp was simply too much.  In fairness, even the StepDance was almost too much as well with this rig. I've been in communication with Justin since and he has sent me an IEM version of the amp, much lower gain.  If y'all can wait a few days I'll most definitely be reporting results. Let me say in addition, Justin has been well beyond fantastic to deal with, BY FAR the most responsive, thorough and helpful guy I've ever encountered in this hobby.  I can't say it's a good thing if everybody starts slamming him with emails - takes way too much time away from what he does best! - but i would encourage some judicious inquiries if you have special needs.

HeadFiers on the uHA-4:
So far, I find it more to my liking than the arrow.  It is a clean, basically neutral to ever so slightly warm amp.  The low gain is -6 db, perfect for iem's.  My stock Arrow had about 5 degrees of rotation, and never got out of channel imbalance before it was too loud, and the modified one with lower gain got maybe twice that far.  There is plenty of volume control with the digital volume on the UHA-4 in low gain.  It got too loud long before I ran out of volume using EQu on my touch 4G.  EQu has a lower dock connector output volume than the ipod player does.

The crossfeed is the Linkowitz circuit, similar to the headroom amps.  It adds just a touch of low end, warming up the sound.  The headroom amps have a treble boost to offset this, the UH-4 doesn't.  I just use a slight bass reduction through EQu, and it works just fine.

In brief, the UH-4 is one heck of a deal!  It sounds great, has a digital volume control, and a dac, for something like $179 delivered.  I bought mine barely used for a bit less.  I put the Arrow up for sale after about 5 minutes with the Leckerton.  It is everything I had hoped the Arrow would be - well except tiny.  It is small, but the Arrow is minuscule!

---------------------

bulmanxii :

At least with MTPC, the UHA-4 is a bit more "musical" or "warm" or "enjoyable" whereas the Arrow was quite dry and not to my liking regardless of the numerous features and slim form factor.  PLUS, and this is a BIG PLUS, the Arrow DOES NOT have a DAC AND COSTS almost twice as much s the UHA-4, AND the UHA-4 is "always" in stock, so no waiting for weeks or months like the Arrow, thus the UHA-4 WINS in more ways than one.

From memory, the UHA-4 is better than the RSA Shadow (and more than two times cheaper!) as it has a built in DAC, crossfeed, gain switch.  UHA-4 SQ is also more satisfying than the Shadow - the Shadow is very good and clean but rather dry and sterile in contrast to the UHA-4, which is rather musical and just slightly warm perhaps.  The UHA also has a better soundstage/3d.

The UHA-4 and TTVJ Slim are actually quite on par SQ wise, but the UHA-4 seems to have better control over the bass, where the TTVJ seems a bit loose if not boomy.  Both great amps though and the UHA-4 has a better DAC than the TTVJ Slim with DAC.  UHA is also shorter, has better battery life and it's almost three times cheaper!

This is from memory as I no longer have the shadow or ttvj:

All three are top tier amps.
Detail - almost equal with the shadow seeming more analytical due to sounding a bit dry but only relative to e Ttvj and UHA-4
Mids - ttvj and UHA-4 more lush and musical but shadow is not bad
Highs - all are pretty good and nothing stands apart but shadow is quite clear and maybe just slightly flatter where ttvj and UHA-4 are a bit more music/mid centric
Soundstage - UHA and ttvj deeper and wider than shadow but again shadow is very clear but more two dimensional perhaps

All three are great amps but ttvj and UHA-4 are really really close to each other in SQ whereas the shadow is a rather different but still great. Shadow is very very small and I found it a bit impractical as it was difficult to reach and find and adjust volume in a pocket as it is much smaller than iPod or iPhone.

Ttvj has a very nice volume control although not digital but actually I prefer it over the rocker switches that the UHA and shadow sport but the UHA has a bigger one so it's a bit easier to work than the shadow. The shadow has a crazy long battery life.

Most importantly, SQ wise, the Leckerton UHA-4 is a more musical and enjoyable amp whereas the Arrow is quite dry and all of the TTVJ, Shadow and UHA-4 offer better/more enjoyable SQ.

aameford:

I also spent some time with the dac this morning - macbook pro to UHA-4 via USB, into the quads.  Really, really nice!  Great sound stage - I was listening to Mozart Requiem and the Benedictine Chant stuff to test drive the Quads on classical.  The Leckerton is one heck of an overachiever, and so are the 1964 Ears quads.  A little "new toy-itis?" Oh absolutely.  I am committed to the quads, they are customs - I better be happy with them.  The UHA-4 though, if it didn't suit my needs very well, it would be gone now.  There are LOTS of good portable amps out there.  Hope that helps out a bit for anyone considering one.  Note that I had a Pico Dac/Amp, and have heard the Pico Slim.  I was planning to go to one or the other again if the Leckerton didn't pan out.  I am quite happy with the UHA-4.

For my needs, the Leckerton is far better than the Arrow, but note for my needs - quiet listening with sensitive IEM's.  The Arrow is a heck of an amp with my D7000's.  It gave my headroom a decent run.  It just doesn't do what I need, and the Leckerton does.  As to sound of the Arrow, maybe not dry, but pretty close to wire with gain sterile, which is what an amp out to do.

There are a bunch of amps out there with equal or better sound quality, especially with full size cans.  There are far fewer out there that are good with sensitive iems.  The Pico Slim, Tomahawk, even the Pico DAC/AMP, though the whole volume travel thing rears it's head again wth the regular Pico.  The Pico has a really good volume pot, though. The Leckerton UHA-4 has the perfect for me blend of LOW gain, great digital volume, nice dac, decent form factor, great sound quality and a high value price.  Plus, it's my new toy, and I always get new toy-itis!

My sentiments are pretty well covered in this thread, but for the record - IMHO, the Arrow is a heck of an amp for a lot of things.  What it is not good at, is low volume listening with sensitive iem's.  The UHA-4 excels at low volume listening with sensitive iem's.  It also works quite well with higher sensitivity headphones.  It doesn't have a lot of voltage swing, so there will be other portables that will be better with low impedance, full sized headphones that want a lot of voltage and current.  That said, it works quite nicely with my D7000's, even compared to my Headroom UDA.  The UDA is a much better match, but the little Leckerton does quite nicely.

An external 'review' comparo that includes the uHA-120

http://www.kmag.co.uk/editorial/musictech/headphone-amplifiers-round-up.html

The iBasso D2/D10 are fairly old models at this point in time, but its an interesting comparison. My concern in any comparison of this type is around the number of hours the reviewer spent listening to each amp, but I guess diehard burn-in believers would say the same of my effort. headphoneaddict  and jamato8 both spent over 1200 hours chronicling progressive changes on the RSA Predator, for example - very few of us will have the patience for that sort of effort.

The Midrange Choice

The Just Audio uHA-120 occupies the middle ground between the two-iBasso models. 
Costing around £220 it offers a great boost in sound quality, giving the music more mid-rage 'oomph', as well as slightly improving the clarity in all frequencies. With its spartan controls and small footprint, it's fairly pocket friendly and easy to use, perfect for those usually intimidated by high-end gear. However, given the price, it would have been nice for increased functionality or I/O's.

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 50
FAQ

1. Which amp has more power for bigger cans/hard to drive IEMs ?

uHA-120

2. How can the $140 E9 be better than the $300 uHA-120 ?

Welcome to portable amps - sorry for your wallet.

OK - thats a little glib - Fiio sell many more amps than anyone else and they can leverage cheaper labour in China. I know of no other fullsize amp at anything close to the E9s price - you might do it *cheaper* DiY, but for a commercially made amp its exceptional.

3. What about the claim that the uHA-4 'easily competes with amps costing $300+' ?

I have a problem with the use of 'easily', but I would agree that it was competitive with the uHA-120. Obviously, without access to other $300+ amps I cant comment on how 'competitive' the slimline amp could be when lined up against them. In power terms, its laughable, but its not all about big cans.

4. What will you do with all those portable amps now ?

The T3 will probably go back into a drawer, the D4 and uHA-120 will remain bedside amps and the uHA-4 will be permanently tethered to my iPod for portable use. If I had to choose one amp for a trip of more than two nights, it will be the uHA-120.

5. What do you think is the best bang-for-buck : source, amp or headphones ?

Assuming that you have a reasonable source (good DAP at a minimum), the answer is headphones. IEMs will get you more resolution for your dollars, but I have doubts re durability. Dont buy hard-to-drive cans without budgeting for the right amp - if possible, avoid the hard-to-drive cans and spend more on your source.

6. Isn't this sort of 'review' purely designed to hype product and sell more amps.

Absolutely. If you dont buy the Fiio E9 on the basis of this, I'll consider myself a complete failure. If you dont need an amp outside the front door, my message is simple - dont buy one.

7. Why do you buy portable amps when you clearly think they are poor VFM ?

Because its easier to stash your mistakes in a drawer and go back to the E9. And because I'm crazy enough to believe that amp builders are getting closer to my ideal transportable amp at a reasonable price.

8. Are we there yet ?
I miss the P4, and that has me thinking about the D6, and possibly something along the lines of 'iBasso D6 vs Leckerton uHA-6S'. I also havent completely given up on the AHA-120, but its starts to get silly throwing that much money at another portable when you can quickly pass the asking price for something nice from Woo or Decware.

9. If you knew how hard this was going to be, would you have started this review.

No %^$@! way ! I have a whole new ballroom full of respect for the people who CAN write coherent reviews of kit (ANY kit).

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 50
OK - its done. Feel free to post any corrections that need to be made if I've made a mistake re specs or whatever. The rest is purely the uninformed opinion of someone who wants to completely forget about audio for a couple of days - how Skylab and others do this escapes me.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 50
this was an incredibly in depth  review. thanks so much. i just put in a order for the uha-4. 
beerchug.gif

edit: also gonna say i read it top to bottom 3 times before pulling the trigger. lol.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 50
Thank you for the feedback, and I hope you enjoy your new amp. Just dont expect too much straight out of the box, and I think you will enjoy the added zing it will bring to your music.

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 50
Great review man.  One of the most comprehensive and well thought out I've seen.  I'd love to see more reviews in the future, if you find yourself up to it.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 50
Thanks for the feedback guys, but I admit that its more 'rant' than 'review'. I read project86's review of the Anedio D1 last night and he makes it all seem so completely effortless - that's the mark of someone who can write. I stand by the quote I have at the top of the listening impressions, but its reassuring to know that at least one person agrees with me on the 120. I think Justin has crafted a great little amp, but Leckerton have their finger on the pulse of Head-Fi newbies. They will sell a truckload of their little amp.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 50
Honestly, I started to read the first few sentences of the review and then kind of just skimmed through the set comparisons and read the conclusion... 

But I can tell you put a lot of effort into this, so props and thanks for the review.
beerchug.gif
  From what I read, I more or less agree on the generalities/conclusions on the Leckerton, give or take a few things, cheers.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 50
MB, I know that quite a few here will disagree with me on the uHA-4, particularly given that I dont agree that its 'neutral and uncolored' as some have told me in the main thread on the Leckerton. I am reminded of a quote attributed to Uncle Erik - The K701 is to neutral what Tang is to orange juice, and to me that sounds like the 'tangy' amp Leckerton have created. Personally, I dont think of it as a 'bad' thing, but the serious audiophiles would no doubt disagree - they might be happier with Justin's amp, the Stepdance or something large, expensive and bristling with tubes. Horses for courses.

While I think I got over my prejudicial attitude to the Leckerton, the big winner out of all of this was the E9 and I didnt entirely see that coming. Anyone intent on throwing more money at portable amps really needs to hear this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back