Review: Koss KSC-35 vs. Koss KSC-50 vs. Sony MDR-Q33LP/S w.ear
Jan 12, 2002 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
So finally, two days ago I received my Koss KSC-35's from Headroom. They cost $29.95 plus $6.00 shipping. I compared their comfort and sound to those of my Koss KSC-50's (purchased for $19.99 plus tax at Best Buy) and my Sony MDR-Q33LP/S w.ear's ($29.99 plus tax at BB).

When I first put on my Koss KSC-35's, I had some difficulty putting them on!
mad.gif
The clips aren't spring-loaded like my Koss KSC-50's and my Sony w.ear's. But once my KSC-35's were on, they stayed put; my w.ear's also stayed put, but my KSC-50's felt like they were going to fall off of my ears (that, fortunately, didn't happen during my listening tests). Also, once on, my KSC-35's were definitely the most comfortable of the three, followed by my w.ears and then my KSC-50's (What? My w.ears look smaller than either of my Koss KSC-##'s, but the w.ear's weigh as much as my KSC-50's!!
mad.gif
).

As for my listening tests, I tested all three of those portable clip-type headphones directly from the phones out of my Panasonic SL-CT470 portable CD player (since they're all designed for strictly portable use - I don't currently own a dedicated headphone amp; I didn't bother using the phone jack of my home receiver due to the jack's poor damping factor). Here is my analysis:

Koss KSC-35
When I first heard these d@mn things, I (literally) heard and felt a muffled *thunk* (the sound and feel of my jaw dropping to the floor)!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
There was so much clarity and richness I swore that I could have paid more than $98 for them (but they cost just $30)! There was a bit of a midbass emphasis (but not as boomy as my Koss Porta Pros, which use the same drivers), the mids and highs were nice, and there was even quite a bit of deep-bass extension (Mike Walker loves to call this low-bass region the "bass-ment"). Vocals sounded rich and warm; instruments never sounded tinny. Overall, outstanding for $30 headphones - and better than many headphones that cost up to four times as much. The cord is four feet long, covered in vinyl.

Koss KSC-50
I have had these headphones for several months before I ordered my KSC-35's. Compared to my KSC-35's, the KSC-50's were less efficient (despite the identical 101 dB/mW rating as the KSC-35's); the bass on the KSC-50's were quite a bit thinner than that of my KSC-35's (both the lower efficiency and the thinner bass were due to the looser fit of my KSC-50's). And (surprisingly) the mids on the KSC-50's were a bit recessed in comparison to my KSC-35's (some female vocals sounded somewhat like someone's got a sore throat). But overall, very good for $20 headphones, just not in the same league as their predecessors, the KSC-35's. The cord is a very short 3.3 feet long, covered in a rough fabric that may not hold up well to abuse.

Sony MDR-Q33LP w.ear
These were the first clip-type headphones that I've bought, and I liked them at first. But compared to the Kosses, they sounded like crap! They cost as much as the Koss KSC-35's, but didn't sound much better than the freebie headphones that came with portable CD and MD players!!
redface.gif
There was practically NO deep bass extension, so that music that had a lot of bass sounded thin and hollow! And there was a peak in the mid-treble, so that many instruments and vocals sounded tinny and metallic! How ********* mediocre can you get, Sony? The cord is nearly five feet long, covered in cloth - and a cord connects the left and right earpieces in a "neck chain" fashion.

So overall, my overall scoring is as follows:

Koss KSC-35 > Koss KSC-50 > Sony MDR-Q33LP/S (with a small but meaningful gap between the two Kosses, and a BIG gap between the KSC-50 and the Q33)

thanx 4 reeding mi revu. (in my "best" tracylynntalk) What? huh?

cya l8r! bi!

Randall

Jan 12, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 14
Hey thanks for that Eagle Driver! The more I read about the KSC-35s, the more I want to get myself a pair...the damn things just aren't available in Australia. Looks like the KSC-50s will have to suffice 'til I get myself Stateside
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 14
Haha, that experience with the 35s sounds like my reaction to the 50s.
I tried to get the 35s from the koss supplier in oz, and they couldn't get them so they got the 50s.. amazing sound for such small price.

Jan 12, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 14
What did you pay for your KSC-50s Snufkin?? I think I got stooged, as I paid AUS$60, but saw them a couple of months later for AUS$45. Ah well...even at 60 bucks they are a bargain!

I wonder if the KSC-35s were EVER available in Australia?? I seem to recall another local mentioning they picked some up from a Downtown Dutyfree store (in Perth?). I'm telling ya...no Sony V6s, no KSC-35s...I can feel a revolution coming on
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Cool....I saw them for $45 at Borders Books and Music and Chadstone, which was only the second place I have seen them sold in Melbourne.
On a related note, Chadstone HMV music had a pair of the Philips HP890s for AUS$150 which was mighty tempting, but I can't imagine trying to audtion headphones in a worse environment with high-rotation cheese blaring over the shop speaker system! Yikes!
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 14
stymie miasma said:

Quote:

I wonder if the KSC-35s were EVER available in Australia?? I seem to recall another local mentioning they picked some up from a Downtown Dutyfree store (in Perth?)

indeed the ksc35 were available in Australia. A least until mid 2001, when the KSC50 were released.

I ordered mine from Audio Synergy and Vince Ross Audio World (both in Perth)... actually any store that stocked Koss could order them in)

Paid AU$80 (~US$40)

Koss retailers include Harvey Norman, Myer/Grace Brothers, and Downtown Duty Free stores, though I found it difficult to get the bigger stores like Myer/Grace Bros to order in something that they don't usually carry.

Jan 12, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 14
So far, no one who owns both the KSC-35's and the KSC-50's have replied to this thread.
frown.gif
And the ONLY replies from Head-Fiers other than myself have been something along the lines of "Where the ****** can I get the KSC-35's in Australia?"!!!
mad.gif

Let's change that d@mn topic. I am NOT from Australia, nor do I live in Australia - so that part of the discussion is IRRELEVANT.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Rick has been great and mailed me a pair of the 35's today!!

So once I get them, I'll compare them to the 50's (which I also have here) and the sportapros (which are here too).

I'm building a collection of cheapy headphones, I should open a store
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
So far, no one who owns both the KSC-35's and the KSC-50's have replied to this thread.

Because I've been saying the exact same thing as your review since I bought the KSC-50 a couple weeks after they were released
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Let's change that d@mn topic. I am NOT from Australia, nor do I live in Australia - so that part of the discussion is IRRELEVANT.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Yes...I can understand your frustration...so assuming you don't have a criminal record, gaining a VISA to come and live in our blessed country should be no problem whatsoever
wink.gif

PS: just make sure you bring your KSC-35s with you!!!
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Koss KSC-50
I have had these headphones for several months before I ordered my KSC-35's. Compared to my KSC-35's, the KSC-50's were less efficient (despite the identical 101 dB/mW rating as the KSC-35's); the bass on the KSC-50's were quite a bit thinner than that of my KSC-35's (both the lower efficiency and the thinner bass were due to the looser fit of my KSC-50's). And (surprisingly) the mids on the KSC-50's were a bit recessed in comparison to my KSC-35's (some female vocals sounded somewhat like someone's got a sore throat). But overall, very good for $20 headphones, just not in the same league as their predecessors, the KSC-35's. The cord is a very short 3.3 feet long, covered in a rough fabric that may not hold up well to abuse.

You can do two things to the KSC-50 to tighten the fit (improving the bass. The first to do the mod described at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=1830, adding a strap to connect them. Also, wear glasses.

When I get mine back (they're being repaired for a broken clip and because the leads are sticking out of that cloth wrap in several places), I also plan to experiement with fiberfill inside the cavity, because I suspect the vocal reticience you find is caused by some sort of cabinet resonance.

PS: Here in Austria those atrocious Sonys cost over 50 euros, or about US$50. (I love the euro, now I can just look at a price and know how much something costs instead of thinking...) Can you imagine spending that much money for that sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back