Review - Klipsch X10 vs Shure SE310
Feb 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

peter312

100+ Head-Fier
Isn’t it typical? I buy myself some Shure SE310s and a week later, I’m in HMV and they’re selling Klipsch Image X10s for £99.99. My better half decided to treat me to a pair on the basis that if I didn’t like them, I could always sell them.

So, it’s shoot out time: the Shure 310s that cost me just under £120 (reduced from £169) vs the Klipsch Image X10s that cost just under £100 (reduced from £235). The criteria I’m going to use are comfort, bass, mids, treble and cables.

Comfort
I always thought that the SE310s were quite comfortable. That was until I tried the X10s. For me, the X10s are supremely comfortable, making an easy and effective seal. I can hardly feel them when they’re in – in fact it’s easy to forget they’re there. I hadn’t noticed, before trying the X10s, that the SE310s start to get a little uncomfortable after a while – the feeling of expanded foam in my ears, I guess. The winner: X10s.

Bass
The SE310s have a good quality bass, but compared to my HD600s it is certainly leaner and doesn’t reach into the lowest octave. The X10s however, have more bass and it may even have more depth. It is not overpowering though and is more “hi-fi” (whereas I would consider the SE310s more “studio” or “monitor”). This makes the X10 an easier earphone to like. The winner: X10s.

Mids
The SE310s have a superb midrange and frankly, whilst the X10s are good, they seem recessed in comparison. The clarity of the SE310s shines through. Again, I would use the terms “monitor” and “hi-fi” again. The winner: SE310s.

Treble
This is a close call. Both of these earphones are said to have rounded off treble, however this is slightly more noticeable with the X10s. Don’t get me wrong, the SE110s are far worse. The X10s are acceptable un-EQ’d and in fact adding treble boost doesn’t make them any better. The SE310s have a sweeter treble. The winner: SE310s.

Cables
The cable on the SE310s is thick and less prone to tangling. The X10s almost have a self-tangling facility built in. I assume it is the “over the ear” thing, but I can walk whilst listening to the SE310s, whereas I have to sit still with the X10s on, otherwise the sound of clothes on cable is heard very loudly in my ears! The winner: SE310s.

Conclusion
So the SE310s win 3-2 then? Yes, but are they the overall winners? No. Why? Well, I only intend to use these earphones at home, so the cable noise issue is not as big an issue as it would be on a fully portable set up. The sound quality of the two is different, the X10s being “hi-fi” to the SE310s “monitor” but neither is better, per se. It’s the comfort that makes the X10s the winner. I have always found IEMs to be a bit of an ordeal – the SE310s sound wonderful but don’t feel it. I can hardly feel the X10s and they’re so easy to fit in comparison to the SE310s. So, the X10s win, but only just.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 3
I am a born again fan for the 310. I got a pair when a local store was trying to offload their final pair (they decided to get out of that line) at a great price.

I had been using a V-Moda Vibe until then and I had really become accustomed to their sound. When I tried the 310s I couldn't stand them. I ran into some problems with the Vibes and while waiting for the warranty replacement to arrive I figured I give the 310s another shot. I guess I warmed up to these as when the Vibes came I realized that I didn't really like the exaggerated bass and treble all that much and decided to shelf them for the 310s.

I think "monitor" paints a pretty good picture for the 310 and right now that works for me.

Darcy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back