Review: K701 vs. HD600 (VHP-2 amp)
Jun 6, 2008 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve been trolling around Head-Fi for the past few months getting information to build my headphone system. I received lots of great comments that helped me narrow my search. See the following thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k701-hd650-315839/

I have finally come to my final conclusion and offer this review of the K701 and HD600. Of course there are plenty of statements which will be my opinion only based on my sound preferences and my particular ears. I have tried to give as much objective information as I can for those who are doing their own search.

Gear
Transport & DAC: Squeezebox Duet (Wolfson 24 bit DAC) (stock wall-wart)
Interconnects: Bluejeans BJC LC-1
Headamp: CI Audio VHP-2 (stock heavy-duty wall-wart)

Burn-In: Everything was burned in several hundred hours, including the K701 which had over 350 hours.

Music: lossless (ALAC); all moderately good to very good sound recordings
Classical: string quartets, quintets, sextets (Brahms, Dvorak, Schumann…)

orchestral music (Bax, Vaughan Williams, Beethoven)
vocal (Sandrine Piau - Opera Seria) & choral
early music (renaissance & baroque viol consorts, trio sonatas, etc.)
more...

Jazz: Miles Davis, Diana Krall, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Pat Metheny, Joe Pass,
Dave Holland, Sara Jane Cion, Kenny Barron, Stan Getz/Chick Corea…

Pop: Steely Dan (esp. the recent albums), Sting, Sade, Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Norah Jones...

Rock: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Boston, Doobie Brothers, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Santana (recent albums), Creed...

Most of my headphone listening is to classical. Jazz is second. Pop and rock come third. I listened extensively over the burn-in period and for a couple weeks thereafter. Sometimes listening to whole albums with one headphone, sometimes switching back and forth repeatedly on specific passages.

General Impressions
Both headphones are good! But they are fairly different. Both are a good bit better than my HD595 in terms of resolution and frequency response (although I like HD595 fine out of an iPod or laptop).

K701 accentuates the high frequencies. The sound is very brilliant. Brass sound great (most everything sounds great). Instruments and voices have a little extra high end, sometimes like the sound of the high frequency horns in the PA of a live concert. Sometimes this is annoying, and sometimes the sound seems lacking in the low end because of the extra-present treble. But the bass is very well defined and extends quite low. Upright bass in jazz sounds very natural. There is nice space in the music and separation between instruments. It is open - it breathes! Orchestral music is awesome. Nice and detailed.

HD600 accentuates a nice warm upper bass. The sound is warm without the sometimes overly insistent treble of the K701. But it lacks the brilliance of the K701. It sounds a little muffled in comparison to the K701. On the whole, to ears accustomed to typical warm sounding stereo systems (like myself), HD600 has a slightly more natural sounding frequency balance without the treble emphasis of the K701. But HD600 really has an overemphasis in the warm upper bass, and a weak top end (relative to the bass), the Sennheiser veiled sound, so I don’t feel that it really has a better tonal balance, just a more familiar one. It is not as detailed as the K701 and the sense of space is not as great, but still these are good, just not as good as K701. The HD600 doesn’t fatigue the ear with tons of treble, but the treble in some recordings sounds ragged, where the K701 treble is always smoother, if sometimes too strong. Vocals are sometimes somewhat recessed due to HD600’s warm bass. Violins sometimes sound a little more natural on HD600 (more body). Cellos (classical) and upright bass (jazz) are often exaggerated and overly warm.

The Verdict
K701 is brilliant, detailed, with plenty of air and space, defined bass (plenty in most music, but occasionally too shy), strong but smooth treble. Sounds great on most classical, jazz, and pop albums. It also sounds decent on most rock albums though guitar chording with lots of treble gets overbearing at times and the defined (not warm) bass often doesn’t adequately support the high end. The strong treble sometimes makes instruments sound thin. Despite its faults, at its best K701 is significantly better than HD600, at least for much classical and jazz as well as some pop and rock. On the other hand, sometimes the sound is a bit too bright or too thin (though not with really well-recorded music).

HD600 is warm and easy to listen to. On tracks where K701 is too bright, HD600 is comfortable. HD600 is good for engineered music, as opposed to largely acoustic music. In pop and rock we expect the bass and treble to be pumped up and HD600 performs well here (with the caveat that the vocals may be recessed in rock). HD600 bass pumps for rock where K701 may be too refined. The smoothness of the sound also is at the cost of a lack of brilliance even in pop & rock, and I found that sometimes annoying.

My Choice
So which will it be, the brilliant (sometimes too brilliant), hi-performing K701 or 

the warm (safe), hi-but-not-quite-as-hi-performing HD600?

I choose...

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 32
Nice review, but I have to say my 600s dont sound anything like your description, I think the 600s like a nice lively (bright) system to wake them up a bit. I cant stand stuff that is overly warm and dark sounding either.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bet on my system going off how the 600s sound on mine, the K701s would probably sound harsh.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 32
I don't think the K701s would sound "harsh" unless there is harshness (distortion) in your system or sound files. They could sound too bright for one's taste though.

The muffled, veiled sound isn't too apparent in a lot of music until I compare them to the K701s. Someone else recently mentioned in another thread that HD600/650 were boring to them. I suspect it is from what I perceived as a lack of brilliance.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 32
Too bright = harsh IMO.

End of the day though, there are no bad headphones at this price point. You choose the one that works best with your equipment - well I did anyway - and in my system the HD600 is very far from being boring (yet strangely, the HD650 was boring in the same system).

The closest I had in terms of the "style" of sound to the K701 was the DT880, and to me it was too bright, thus harsh. I'm sure the DT880, just like the K701 and HD600 in the right system, sounds just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 32
do HD600's improve as much as HD650's when balanced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
The closest I had in terms of the "style" of sound to the K701 was the DT880, and to me it was too bright, thus harsh. I'm sure the DT880, just like the K701 and HD600 in the right system, sounds just fine

I ran the DT880's from an Electrocompaniet ECD1 and Darkvoice 332 w/ rolled tubes and I still didn't like them. Their mids and highs just sounded too unnatural to me. The mids sounded recessed and thin. The highs sounded as if they were clipped or sheared off...
The bass was to die for though.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 32
Great review!

With my VHP-2, I find the HD650 to be the laid-back one, with the HD600 the welcome, sharper relief.

I like the K701, but have never been able to live with it. My ears just prefer the slightly more relaxed Sennheiser sound, I guess. Others will like the 701 . . . or even the DT880.

BTW, the VHP drives the former three well. It's a welcome relief to find such a versatile headphone amp.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the K701s would sound "harsh" unless there is harshness (distortion) in your system or sound files. They could sound too bright for one's taste though.

A-Right! On both counts.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review!

With my VHP-2, I find the HD650 to be the laid-back one, with the HD600 the welcome, sharper relief.

I like the K701, but have never been able to live with it. My ears just prefer the slightly more relaxed Sennheiser sound, I guess. Others will like the 701 . . . or even the DT880.

BTW, the VHP drives the former three well. It's a welcome relief to find such a versatile headphone amp.

Hey Gregg, how's the SA-10 breaking in?

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 32
John,

Swell! I'll PM you.

Re: the Esoteric cdp and the Sennheisers, the SA-10 doesn't seem to change my perception of the HD600 much, but it DOES open up the HD650 somewhat.

More of that infamous/famous "650 scales like a SOB", I guess!

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-DiV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which will it be, the brilliant (sometimes too brilliant), hi-performing K701 or the warm (safe), hi-but-not-quite-as-hi-performing HD600?

I choose...

I had both sets on hand for quite some time and the K701 ended up going up for sale. I just couldn't take that thread-bare presentation any more. For me the K701 was just not musical. Interesting sound at times, for sure, but it wasn't always musical. The HD600 OTOH, always presents music.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Murphy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both sets on hand for quite some time and the K701 ended up going up for sale. I just couldn't take that thread-bare presentation any more. For me the K701 was just not musical. Interesting sound at times, for sure, but it wasn't always musical. The HD600 OTOH, always presents music.

I think it depends on what you listen to, your ears, and the kind of sound that you like. Even though the HD600 is really nice, I find that I keep reaching for the K701 and spending more time with it. I will be sending one of these headphones back to Headroom this week.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, but I have to say my 600s dont sound anything like your description, I think the 600s like a nice lively (bright) system to wake them up a bit. I cant stand stuff that is overly warm and dark sounding either.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bet on my system going off how the 600s sound on mine, the K701s would probably sound harsh.

Next to K701s, just about anything sounds warm in my experience. They make my Grados sound warm and rolled off in the highs, that's not something you usually hear about Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back