Review: JVC DX700 vs Denon D5000
Jul 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

flame

100+ Head-Fier
Just a little intro about me, i am a big Denon fan! I like the bass and the comfort of the Denon. And i listen to classical for most of the time.

Today i received my DX700 that i bought from Townyj.
I have been listening to it for few hours.

Source:
WMA lossless -> Cambridge Dacmagic -> Caliente

First impression:
Wow the soundstage is bigger than Denon. The bass impact is slightly stronger, but not bloat, just as tight as md5k. It is darker than d5k, little more laidback, something between d5k and hd650.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a more detail comparison:

Soundstage: Dx700 for sure!

Detail: On par, maybe md5k a little better.

Bass: On par when d5k is modded.

Mid: Just as recess as d5k, maybe just a little better, not by much.

High: d5k takes the crown. dx700's high just isn't as smooth.

Comfort: d5k is the winner. dx700 clamps a little hard, i think is a little bulky to wear.

Isolation: dx700 and it doesn't leak as much sound.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few songs i used to compare:

Rondo Alla Turca - dx700 > md5k, it is noticably more fun and faster.

Beethoven Symphony No.1 - dx700 > md5k, i think is because of the bigger soundstage, it really gets me enjoy the orchestra more.

Carmen Fantasie - md5k > dx700, dx700's high just isn't as smooth as the md5k.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rarely listen to anything else, but here are a few pops i have on my pc for comparison:

Suddenly i see - md5k > dx700, dx700 is a little too laidback for this song, not engaging enough.

Welcome to the black parade - On par. dx700 performs pretty good, especially with the drums, simply loving it. Like (Suddenly i see) md5k is more forward sounding and engaging.

200Hrs now on DX700
The high is smoother now, still not close to D5000. And after a long period of listening to the DX700, i find the detail is lacking when compare to D5000, this isn't necessary a bad thing, imo. In fact, i enjoy the DX700 more, haven't touched D5k ever since i received the DX700. The sound is colored, but that sound attracts me deeply into it.

Sorry i am a newb when it comes to descripting the sound. If you have any other questions, i am more than happy to answer you!

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At First glance I thought this was JVC RX700 vs Denon D5000... I actually sold my Denon D2000 in favor of the RX700, I wonder how much of a step up the DX700 would be?

Nice comparison, simple, to the point.

I believe DX700 is in completely different league compared to HARX700. I think RX700 are pretty good for their price but not so much a mid-end (or high-end) sound.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe DX700 is in completely different league compared to HARX700. I think RX700 are pretty good for their price but not so much a mid-end (or high-end) sound.

Completely different league, yes. The DX700 are an offshoot of the DX1000, which are JVC's top of the line headphone and sell for $800-900, depending on the exchange rate.

I have never heard the DX700, but I am a big fan of the DX1000
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 7
The DX700 i previously owned sounded very very good
smily_headphones1.gif
I have never tried the 1k though so cant compare.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impressions. Given a choice can you live with DX700s?

I have the headphone burned in for another 100hrs now, and the previous owner put 100hrs on it. The high sounds a little smoother, but just not as good as d5000.

To answer your question, YES i can live with the DX700 without D5000 atm lol, regardless i am a Denon fanboy.
Matter of fact, i haven't touched my D5000 at all ever since i received the DX700.

Just update my impression after this extra 100hrs of burning in on the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back