REVIEW: Jomo Audio 4
Sep 25, 2016 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Zelda

Headphoneus Supremus
REVIEW: Jomo Audio 4

Product page: Link

Specifications:

o Quad Balanced Armature Drivers: 1 x High, 1 x Mid, 2 x Low.
o Advance horn sound outlet design (for universal design)
o Frequency: 20 Hz -18 kHz
o Sensitivity: 119 dB
o Impedance: 25 ohms

Price (MSRP): Starting from U$D 599. Price is same for all the 3 shell options.

Warranty: 12 months.

Free refitting for 1 month.

Accessories:

o Pelican case
o Cleaning tool
o 3 pairs of wide dual flange silicone eartips (universal versions only)
o Airplane adapter
o 6.35mm adapter

Build Quality:

Custom fit:

The Jomo shells are made of solid thick acrylic material which looks sturdier than previous hollow acrylic CIEMs I've tried. The outer finish is very smooth and just a very tiny bubbles were spotted inside through the clear shells. The Jomo4 nozzle has two bores, one for the highs driver alone, and the other for the dual lows and single mids. The standard 2-pin connection is only available in flushed socket, and while I usually prefer the recessed option for 2-pin, the Jomo connectors seem of good quality. The cable is the typical standard cable found on most CIEMs: twisted, very soft, low in microphonics and easy to mold memory-wire. It did show some oxidation/discoloration after some time, though. The y-split and L-angle plug are properly relieved as well

Fit, Comfort and Isolation:

Like any other Custom in-ear, a good pair of ear impressions is essential for best fit and comfort results. Jomo Audio suggest open-mouth impressions for best results; usually I'd follow the manufacturer's instructions. Getting a good fit may take some practice at first, but afterwards it becomes pretty natural. The first pair went under refit; though, it's hard to address the reason of the wrong fit, wrong impressions or shell making. The custom Jomo shells fit tight enough but don't cause extra pressure and are very comfortable for long hours.
Isolation level is very high and better than other hollow acrylic shells I've tried; when music off it's still possible to hear the surroundings a bit, but once the track starts, it's all about music.

Sound:

The Jomo4 has a bass-forward signature with a more laid back presentation. It's kind of an IEM that delivers a strong bass together with good clarity. The sound is rather warm, very smooth, and intimate. The enhanced bass and relaxed treble tuning shares some similarities with some very popular stage monitor IEMs, such as the UM3X or Earsonics, with a slightly deeper and more musicality and fun factor in it. The Jomo4 model uses Knowles Balanced Armature drivers, and with the translucent shells it's possible to find out the BA model series. For Lows there's a dual DTEC, which is not a very large unit, but provides strong bass with good speed. If I'm not wrong the Westone W4/W40 has the same type of unit. For Mids there's a single CI driver, a large unit which is usually used as a woofer in universal IEMs for its large bass response (UM3X, SM3 and SM64, and UM 20 I think), but also found in Custom IEMs as midrange dedicated driver due its full, rich and warm sound if well tuned. Lastly, for Highs there's an ED driver, another popular single BA driver well suited for a bright, detailed and well extended treble, which I found less sharp and tiring than my other favorite Knowles TWFK dual BA. While the driver selection might seem good it doesn't immediately translate into a good sound as there're other essential factors to take in count, and will always depend on the final tuning and crossover.

Lows

The bass is quite strong, dominant and usually very attention calling. Probably among the thickest and fullest bass from a BA driver I heard. It has a good mix of power and accuracy, and thanks to its fast response it doesn't sound overwhelming as to seriously interfere with the midrange. It is surely enhanced but well controlled at the same time, and it's able to offer a strong punch and note weight. While the DTEC BA drivers are fast, the Jomo4 is not the fastest earphone despite its higher price over many 4-driver universals, but it won't sound slow either. There's plenty of mid-bass quantity and the most noticed part of the bass and the whole Jomo4. The mid-bass has a certain lift that can make the earphone lose its balance. It won't fall under the heavy-bass class, but does have good depth and enough power. Even so, the bass is still a BA type of bass and as such has the common BA limitations when compared to dynamic drivers. Extension is rather limited and sub-bass quickly rolls-off when reaching the lower frequencies, missing some good rumble and dynamics.

Midrange

The midrange keeps the warm tonality of the bass and while not as forward as the lower frequencies it still has good presence. Carrying the same note thickness, the mids are smooth, rich and detailed but result a little veiled compare to more clear or detail focused IEM sets. For instance, the UM30 mids are less forward than the fuller and better presented mids of the Jomo4, but not as forward as the UM20; the W40 has a similar midrange positioning. Detail and resolution are decent but not the strongest point of the Jomo4, as the midrange clarity is missing a bit due the slight extra thickness. If it wasn't for the bass focused presentation, the Jomo4 could easily classify as a slightly mid-centered earphone. In fact, the midrange positioning is more source dependant than any other part of this Jomo model. The upper midrange is even less emphasized giving and could be perceived as sounding dull or too relaxed through a warmer source. Vocals carry a quite sweet and smooth texture; free of any hint of sibilance or grain which is really a good achievement, but female vocals might sound a bit veiled, or at least not very effortless.

Highs

The smooth and warm formula continues up to the treble, which is rather smooth, polite and very forgiving. The laid-back nature that starts from the upper-mids is more noticed when getting into the highs. It maintains a fair balance of air and smoothness and it’s not prone to harshness or sibilance. The highs might be soft and missing sparkle and energy, but are not lacking in extension. After all, there's a Knowles ED unit inside there; but not a Knowles ED at its best as it could still have slightly more forwardness in the upper midrange and treble to complement a more neutral signature. As a side note, the dampers/filters used on the ED drivers have a very strong effect on them, so it is not very surprising to see so different results from these BA units.

Presentation

The presentation is the less impressive part of the Jomo4. With the 4 drivers (or 3, where one is a dual BA), it is not very well-rounded as one would expect and not so spacious sounding for its price. The extra thickness and smooth sound results into a more intimate presentation, that while not congested is not the most resolving either. Needless to say, the stage dimensions are not large and the 4 driver combination is missing some 3-dimensionality. The Balanced Armature nature usually works great on more busy or complex tracks, and the Jomo4 is not slow or 'lazy', but simply doesn't manage to amaze in this regard. The speed is about decent, despite the faster DTEC units used for lows. While the multi-BA setup still has the upper hand over hybrid sets in terms of coherence and balance, they are missing the natural decay and instruments texture of dynamic drivers. The 'enhanced bass' still has some merit, as it doesn't work just as a 'boost', but rather helps the overall sound to achieve a more powerful and richer sound. As for the detail retrieval, it is quite the opposite of many bright or analytical IEM/CIEM sets that are usually tuned in a way to call the listener attention; the Jomo4 has enough detail but it's presented in a more musical way as an extra ingredient of the whole sound mix being less transparent and apparently less clear. The Jomo4 is advertised as a good match for pop music, and while it's all very relative, it's definitely not an all-rounder earphone and rather limited in the music genre selection.

Value:

At the $600 price tag, the Jomo4 surely sits on the mid-fi IEM category facing some serious competition. The sound presentation is nothing really revolutionary and also rather flavored. The slightly colored bass dominating signature actually fits the company description of the Jomo4, being more suited for Pop type of music, meaning it's a not an all-rounder by any means, but it is a fun sounding earphone nonetheless. A kind of IEM/CIEM that shows some of the typical characteristics of Balanced Armature drivers, speed, articulation and coherence, along with the usual limitations of lack of sub-bass, dynamics and extension. The Jomo4 seems to be quite picky on source, and the stock cable limits the overall sound resolution, but it also has a strong potential with more dedicated gears. Choosing between the universal and custom version is up to the buyer, but personally I think that despite of the extra costs and trouble to get the Custom version it still offers a better value at the current price, having the better fit and much higher isolation; the (standard) universal one is a decent option, though there're plenty of options in the current in-ear market where a quad BA earphone has to compete against hybrid models or other multi-BA sets of higher number of drivers at an even lower price. Jomo Audio seems to be conscious of these facts as they keep updating their current products and adding new ones.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the review, appreciate it. I think we will see more Jomo Audio reviews as time goes by and more get to listen to their IEMs.

I just received the Jomo 4 myself (though its now undergoing minor adjustments for fit), and I too found that cable makes a significant difference. The Linum BAX and Music cables pair pretty well with the 4. Compared to my JH5s, its more detail oriented and less 'lush' sounding. Agree that it seems picky on source (i tried it on a clip zip, DX90 and Mojo), and it really scales well with more power.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 3
  Thanks for the review, appreciate it. I think we will see more Jomo Audio reviews as time goes by and more get to listen to their IEMs.

I just received the Jomo 4 myself (though its now undergoing minor adjustments for fit), and I too found that cable makes a significant difference. The Linum BAX and Music cables pair pretty well with the 4. Compared to my JH5s, its more detail oriented and less 'lush' sounding. Agree that it seems picky on source (i tried it on a clip zip, DX90 and Mojo), and it really scales well with more power.

Thanks for the comment. Glad you liked the review, and that it matches your impressions 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back