[Review] InEar StageDiver 4, a high-end universal IEM!
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Pros: Fit, build, musicality, detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging qualities, overall sound quality.
Cons: Mids come off recessed at times, no sense of air.
Style: Over-Ear IEMs
Tonal Balance: Mild v-shape
Accessories: Hard case, cleaning wipes,1/4’’ stereo adaptor, 3 sizes of mushroom tips.
Listening Set-Up: Musicbee -> Oppo HA-1
Cost at Time of Review: $850 from Otojoy.

Reviewing Process

The StageDiver 4 (SD4 from now on) have received over 50 hours of head time in combination with at least 30 hours of burn-in time. I have used the SD4 in a variety of settings with a variety of sources, but the review will be written from the Oppo HA-1 connected to my computer. I feel that my time with the SD4 has allowed me to develop a good understanding for the sound of the headphones and I feel confident sharing my opinions. With that said, I always advise to try out a pair of headphones before you buy them and reading multiple reviews when unable to demo them in person.

Thanks to Thomas from Otojoy and Marco from InEar for the chance to review this wonderful IEM.

Build & Fit

Build
The SD4 feature highly polished craftsmanship from top to bottom. The housing is solid and formed of plastic, allowing no points of failure to the housing due to stress while the removable cable is held securely in place. The cable feels flexible and the common points of failure are adequately relieved of stress.

Fit
The SD4 housing is designed from hundreds of custom molds to create a universal design that fits something like a custom on the outer ear. I’ve found the SD series to fit securely while blocking out a respectable amount of ambient noise and being rather comfortable. I’ve had absolutely no issues with positioning the SD4 in my ears, nor have I had any issues inserting them. They pop right in and sound right from the start.

InEar has managed to get the build and fit of the SD line just about perfect. I hesitate to call it perfect as I’m sure there is room for improvement, I’m just not sure how.

Sound Quality

Bass
In sweeps the SD4 show that they are capable of cleanly reproducing frequencies all the way down to 10hz, where a lowly rumble is heard. The SD4 also show that there is not a bit of distortion during these sweeps, even with the volume at louder than listening level volumes. In real world listening applications I find that the sub-bass digs deep with control and an authoritative presence, showing big bass very cleanly. A great track to hear the quality of the bass is James Blake’s Limit to Your Love, due to the quickly moving deep sub-bass lines that hit hard. The SD4 showcase the quickness and depth of the sub-bass in this track, quickly quavering along with the sub-bass, digging deep and with clear definition, there’s not a bit of mud down here. While the sub-bass digs deep, I feel that it may not be boosted enough for bassheads. Those who aren’t a basshead will greatly enjoy the quality and quantity of the sub-bass in songs appropriate for it.

The mid-bass is lively and prominent, controlled beautifully with no bleed in either direction, truly a joy to focus on. What impresses me is how well the prominent mid-bass works for a variety of genres from danceable electronic music to classic rock. Generally I find that mid-bass prominent headphones sound a bit congested, or too warm outside of electronic genres, so this has been a pleasant surprise. For example, The Rolling Stones Miss You sounds detailed throughout the spectrum while having the punchy kick drum and prominent bass guitar driving the energy of the song. Likewise Kendrick Lamar’s track Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe also benefits immensely from the prominence of the mid-bass, sounding full and warm without sounding muddy.

On the whole the bass impresses me most with how cleanly the drivers reproduce the lows. The drivers provide a controlled low range that carries authority when necessary without interfering with the other ranges of the spectrum.

Mids & Highs

The mid-range shows excellent clarity and detail retrieval, though coming off a touch cold and distant due to a dip in the vocal range. The recession is heightened by the brightness of the upper mids and the warmth of the mid-bass, though neither frequency range bleeds into the mid-range. The upper mid range has a bright edge to it, giving a forward and lively energy to the sound, though sibilance is noted and the upper mids and highs border on being fatiguing. The highs are well extended though, and with a bit of EQ one could easily balance out the mid-range with the highs if so desired.

The mids and highs excel with their detail retrieval and clarity. I find the SD4 to be very resolving while also being somewhat forgiving of poor recordings, the tuning strikes a delicate balance very well.

Presentation
The width of the soundstage is intimate, while the depth of the soundstage is enough to provide a sense of distance between the instruments. Imaging is remarkable here, I found myself being highly impressed with the sense of space in which the sounds were being presented to me and instruments all seemed to have their own space. Despite the intimate soundstage I rarely find it cluttered or confused. The SD4 do a great job presenting music.

Source
I’ve used the SD4 through my Moto G, Sansa Clip+ and my Oppo HA-1. I find that the SD4 are incredibly efficient, easily being powered by my Moto G and Sansa Clip+, but I do find that the SD4 scales with the input quality of the gear. These sound great from any decent source though and that’s impressive.

Comparisons
I don’t have much experience with high-end IEMs, but I will compare the SD4 with the ones I have experience with.

LEAR LUF-4B - Both are 4 driver universal IEMs with a v-shape sound signature. I feel that the SD4 trumps the LUF-4B in every way with the exception of bass quantity. I found the LUF-4B were a bit too aggressively v-shaped, with the highs coming off harsh and the lows coming off loose, while grain was noted throughout. The SD4 exhibits a bright upper midrange, but grain is not noted at all and loose is not a word I would use to describe the SD4 at all. The LUF-4B does offer a huge amount of aesthetic options though.

InEar StageDiver 2 - The SD2 were my favorite in the SD line until the SD4 and even with the SD4 available I feel that the SD2 are still a worthwhile recommendation. The SD2 has a warm leaning neutral sound with extended highs, though coming off somewhat laid back. It’s hard to say that the SD4 is better or worse than the SD2 as they have different sound signatures. I feel that the clarity and level of detail is better on the SD4 though the midrange recession and bright upper mids might put off some. Both are excellent IEMs aimed at two different crowds.

InEar StageDiver 3 - The SD3 shares a more similar sound signature to the SD4 than the SD2. The SD3 is a more exaggerated v-shape than the SD4 though, while lacking the resolution and clarity. I feel that the SD4 are a much better option for those looking for a v-shaped sound as I think that the SD4 is a natural progression of the SD3, trumping them in every way that I can think of.

Conclusion

I think it’s clear that I’m in love with the SD4. I find myself highly impressed with the clarity, level of detail and the imaging qualities of the drivers, while the build, fit and low power requirements make the SD4 a complete package. The price is a bit steep and many will look to custom IEMs at this price point. I can not comment on whether I agree wit that as I have no experience with custom IEMs. What I can say, with confidence, is that the sound of the SD4 is incredibly well done and I feel that they are worth their admission cost.

The SD4 should be considered by those wanting a mild to moderate v-shape high-end IEM that offers great clarity and level of detail as well as great build quality and fit.

Linked here is a list of test tracks I used and my thoughts on them as I listened to the SD4 while connected to my Oppo HA-1.

Come see more photos here.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 25
Cool! I did a review recently too 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759771/review-putting-the-fun-in-pro-audio-the-inear-stagediver-sd-4#post_11431744

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 25
​Thank for review. Great, cool spec.

​I love the look of your work! I wish you all the best luck and look forward to getting to know you in the future.
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 25
  ​Thank for review. Great, cool spec.

​I love the look of your work! I wish you all the best luck and look forward to getting to know you in the future.
L3000.gif

Thanks for the kind words =)

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #7 of 25
Thanks for the review!

Now I wonder how the SD4 compares to the Earsonics Velvet...

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 25

Pros
: Fit, build, musicality, detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging qualities, overall sound quality.

Cons:
Mids come off recessed at times, no sense of air.

Style:
Over-Ear IEMs

Tonal Balance:
Mild v-shape

Accessories:
Hard case, cleaning wipes,1/4’’ stereo adaptor, 3 sizes of mushroom tips.

Listening Set-Up:
Musicbee -> Oppo HA-1

Cost at Time of Review:
$850 from
Otojoy

Reviewing Process

The StageDiver 4 (SD4 from now on) have received over 50 hours of head time in combination with at least 30 hours of burn-in time. I have used the SD4 in a variety of settings with a variety of sources, but the review will be written from the Oppo HA-1 connected to my computer. I feel that my time with the SD4 has allowed me to develop a good understanding for the sound of the headphones and I feel confident sharing my opinions. With that said, I always advise to try out a pair of headphones before you buy them and reading multiple reviews when unable to demo them in person.

Thanks to Thomas from Otojoy and Marco from InEar for the chance to review this wonderful IEM.

Build & Fit

Build

The SD4 feature highly polished craftsmanship from top to bottom. The housing is solid and formed of plastic, allowing no points of failure to the housing due to stress while the removable cable is held securely in place. The cable feels flexible and the common points of failure are adequately relieved of stress.

Fit

The SD4 housing is designed from hundreds of custom molds to create a universal design that fits something like a custom on the outer ear. I’ve found the SD series to fit securely while blocking out a respectable amount of ambient noise and being rather comfortable. I’ve had absolutely no issues with positioning the SD4 in my ears, nor have I had any issues inserting them. They pop right in and sound right from the start.

InEar has managed to get the build and fit of the SD line just about perfect. I hesitate to call it perfect as I’m sure there is room for improvement, I’m just not sure how.

Sound Quality

Bass

In sweeps the SD4 show that they are capable of cleanly reproducing frequencies all the way down to 10hz, where a lowly rumble is heard. The SD4 also show that there is not a bit of distortion during these sweeps, even with the volume at louder than listening level volumes. In real world listening applications I find that the sub-bass digs deep with control and an authoritative presence, showing big bass very cleanly. A great track to hear the quality of the bass is James Blake’s
Limit to Your Love,
due to the quickly moving deep sub-bass lines that hit hard. The SD4 showcase the quickness and depth of the sub-bass in this track, quickly quavering along with the sub-bass, digging deep and with clear definition, there’s not a bit of mud down here. While the sub-bass digs deep, I feel that it may not be boosted enough for bassheads. Those who aren’t a basshead will greatly enjoy the quality and quantity of the sub-bass in songs appropriate for it.

The mid-bass is lively and prominent, controlled beautifully with no bleed in either direction, truly a joy to focus on. What impresses me is how well the prominent mid-bass works for a variety of genres from danceable electronic music to classic rock. Generally I find that mid-bass prominent headphones sound a bit congested, or too warm outside of electronic genres, so this has been a pleasant surprise. For example, The Rolling Stones
Miss You
sounds detailed throughout the spectrum while having the punchy kick drum and prominent bass guitar driving the energy of the song. Likewise Kendrick Lamar’s track
Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe
also benefits immensely from the prominence of the mid-bass, sounding full and warm without sounding muddy.

On the whole the bass impresses me most with how cleanly the drivers reproduce the lows. The drivers provide a controlled low range that carries authority when necessary without interfering with the other ranges of the spectrum.

Mids & Highs

The mid-range shows excellent clarity and detail retrieval, though coming off a touch cold and distant due to a dip in the vocal range. The recession is heightened by the brightness of the upper mids and the warmth of the mid-bass, though neither frequency range bleeds into the mid-range. The upper mid range has a bright edge to it, giving a forward and lively energy to the sound, though sibilance is noted and the upper mids and highs border on being fatiguing. The highs are well extended though, and with a bit of EQ one could easily balance out the mid-range with the highs if so desired.

The mids and highs excel with their detail retrieval and clarity. I find the SD4 to be very resolving while also being somewhat forgiving of poor recordings, the tuning strikes a delicate balance very well.

Presentation

The width of the soundstage is intimate, while the depth of the soundstage is enough to provide a sense of distance between the instruments. Imaging is remarkable here, I found myself being highly impressed with the sense of space in which the sounds were being presented to me and instruments all seemed to have their own space. Despite the intimate soundstage I rarely find it cluttered or confused. The SD4 do a great job presenting music.

Source

I’ve used the SD4 through my Moto G, Sansa Clip+ and my Oppo HA-1. I find that the SD4 are incredibly efficient, easily being powered by my Moto G and Sansa Clip+, but I do find that the SD4 scales with the input quality of the gear. These sound great from any decent source though and that’s impressive.

Comparisons

I don’t have much experience with high-end IEMs, but I will compare the SD4 with the ones I have experience with.

LEAR LUF-4B
- Both are 4 driver universal IEMs with a v-shape sound signature. I feel that the SD4 trumps the LUF-4B in every way with the exception of bass quantity. I found the LUF-4B were a bit too aggressively v-shaped, with the highs coming off harsh and the lows coming off loose, while grain was noted throughout. The SD4 exhibits a bright upper midrange, but grain is not noted at all and loose is not a word I would use to describe the SD4 at all. The LUF-4B does offer a huge amount of aesthetic options though.

InEar StageDiver 2
- The SD2 were my favorite in the SD line until the SD4 and even with the SD4 available I feel that the SD2 are still a worthwhile recommendation. The SD2 has a warm leaning neutral sound with extended highs, though coming off somewhat laid back. It’s hard to say that the SD4 is better or worse than the SD2 as they have different sound signatures. I feel that the clarity and level of detail is better on the SD4 though the midrange recession and bright upper mids might put off some. Both are excellent IEMs aimed at two different crowds.

InEar StageDiver 3
- The SD3 shares a more similar sound signature to the SD4 than the SD2. The SD3 is a more exaggerated v-shape than the SD4 though, while lacking the resolution and clarity. I feel that the SD4 are a much better option for those looking for a v-shaped sound as I think that the SD4 is a natural progression of the SD3, trumping them in every way that I can think of.

Conclusion

I think it’s clear that I’m in love with the SD4. I find myself highly impressed with the clarity, level of detail and the imaging qualities of the drivers, while the build, fit and low power requirements make the SD4 a complete package. The price is a bit steep and many will look to custom IEMs at this price point. I can not comment on whether I agree wit that as I have no experience with custom IEMs. What I can say, with confidence, is that the sound of the SD4 is incredibly well done and I feel that they are worth their admission cost.

The SD4 should be considered by those wanting a mild to moderate v-shape high-end IEM that offers great clarity and level of detail as well as great build quality and fit.

Linked
here
is a list of test tracks I used and my thoughts on them as I listened to the SD4 while connected to my Oppo HA-1.

Come see more photos here.
Good review but the difference with the SD 2 are not that clear, no word about the bass. Inresting competion could be the IE80 and the RHA T-20

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 25
why threads on sd 4 prematurely end ? I was checking advancedmp3players.co.uk where the product is discontinued already - any info / comment on that would be appreciated, as it was shown to be quite an efficient bud on some reviews...

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 25
It seems that SD-4 is just not as much of a steal as SD-2 is or people who want to invest 650 EUR find themselves buying one of the cheaper CIEMs instead. I'm pretty sure that the more V signature will likely not respond well to Comply as SD-2 and I am pretty sure the extra clarity gain is small to nonexistent. So, you're essentially risking fit issues for a sound that is readily available in the better of cheap CIEMs. Well, you could grab it and then make custom sleeves if that part of the fit is a problem and just apply the Wraps for extra comfort, but you're tossing 100 EUR on top.

I've heard more than enough of IEMs, CIEMs and demos to speak about the quality with certainty. With older more narrow band drivers, 3-way was generally the peak of performance (as shown by e.g. UE Reference Monitors, 3 dual, or UM Miracle, same configuration). Nowadays, this might be 2 drivers already (not 1 dual!) in an especially well tuned setup with less than minimal gains in quality beyond, more like side grades.
Unless you love to listen at very high volume levels (shame on you) where the bass might get overdriven on a bass heavy track.

Moreover, SD-4 is very new, few people have these and it's not exactly a mass market product. (Much like FitEar TG334 never was. Having heard a pair of TG334, I'd say that either of SD-2, SD-3 and SD-4 would outperform it even at its own game which is bass handling.)

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 25
AstralStorm probably means for the money, as the SD2 cost 379 Euro and is also exellent. I heared both and the SD4 is more smooth without a loss of details, but it costs 300 Euro more, so you come in Sennheiser IE800 regions. Is the SD4 worth the extra money? I think that everybody has to decide for themselves. If you are on a certain budget, you can't go wrong with the SD2.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 25
It´s not cheap for sure, but gives you the ultimate Universal IEM experience. Especially regarding to the fit an IE800 for example just can´t compete.
In the price range of a SD2 I´d rather recommend the Fisher Amps FA-4E XB. I´ve tested them both and was quite fulfilled with the FA´s. The problem I had with them in the long term was the fit, which is the main reason why I ultimately got to the SD4. The fit also works near perfect for others, who occasionally get a chance to hear these babies. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back