Review/Impressions: Stax Lambda Signature (also called 'pro signature'), 56k warning
Oct 15, 2006 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
All right. So I FINALLY got my hands on these beauties. I've been looking for some Lambda Pros forever, as many of you have seen, and I ended up going for broke on the Lambda Sigs, since they're the next model up the chain in the same series. Now that they're in my possession, I'm ecstatic that I did. The Lambda Signature is a fantastic headphone. I'll do a bit of a review here, though not as in-depth as perhaps some would like. One important thing to keep in mind is I'm running them off the Pass Aleph 3 off an SRD-6; this is a normal bias transformer, and these are high bias headphones, so keep that in mind as I review these; it may or may not alter the sound. Once I get my hands on a pro box, I'll know for sure.

The lows: when it comes to music that either does not call for impact, or is already very impactful in and of itself, this is an area in which the Lambda Sig shines. The bass is wide, low, and powerful. There's plenty of it, but by no means does it feel at all overwhelming at any time; on the contrary, it's almost a soothing sort of bass; it just flows into your ears in that electrostatic way. In contrast with the K1000, this definitely has noticeably more and noticeably lower bass, but it DEFINITELY lacks impact by comparison. In shorthand: the bass on these headphones works very well for hard rock/metal and classical, but it fails when it comes to not as hard rock, and hip hop/r&b.

The mids: spectacular. They're present, but flowing and subtly beautiful; in terms of quality, they're on par with the Kx01 and K340s, though not as sweet; they're more on the silky side. They don't quite hit the K1000's level, but they're still GREAT in this department. Beautiful vocals, great sounding electric guitars.

The highs: This is where I was thrown off; having the thinnest diaphragm Stax ever made, I was totally expecting them to be UBER detailed, almost harsh; to my great surprise, they were not. Here is where I think it may be the SRD-6 coming into play. It's possible that the normal bias transformer cost me some treble. I guess we'll just have to see about that, if someone can either loan me one or sell me one. But I digress. They were actually quite detailed, and definitely very 'clear' sounding. However, they still were not as much so as the K1000; imagine if you can a mixture between the SR-X and the K701 highs, and I think you'll probably have it right on the money. Still wonderful, still awesome, just not the most detailed can you ever heard, which is kinda what I was expecting given the reputation.

Soundstage: Nothing beats the K1000 here, but these headphones give it their all; they have quite a good sized soundstage. They're probably in the area of the GS1000 or K701, if not a little bigger. They project very well forward. They're not bad as far as side to side and behind, but they're not exceptional in that regard.

Speed: These headphones are of course, extraordinarily fast. There's really not much to say here other than that; if you want pace, rhythm and timing, they've GOT it. Foot tapping will abound.

Instrument separation: All right. Here is the one area where I'd actually just call these headphones average. It's not bad or anything, it just isn't something I would say is a strength of these headphones. Ironically, though, the way instruments are presented with these headphones is a big factor in the reason I'm keeping them; as is clear by this review, the K1000 is my current reference and main headphone; when it comes to instrument separation, I've never heard any headphone perform so extraordinarily well. Sometimes, though, I just want a more together piece of music. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't just want some big blob of noise; but with certain pieces of music, especially harder stuff, it just feels right; a lot of the Mars Volta's stuff is a perfect example; the Lambda Pro's presentation just really suits them well. I feel like the music is hitting me all at once, instead of in the million pieces the K1000 gracefully and beautifully dissects it into.

All right. Well without further ado, the pics: they're not so great because I'm into head-fi, not camera-fi, but hey. I was actually surprised at their color; I was expecting them to look much more like the SR-404 than they did.

DSCF0004_2.jpg
DSCF0001_2.jpg
DSCF0003_2.jpg

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 25
Welcome to the dark side
evil_smiley.gif

I believe it's normal that the STAX are less detailed than the K1000s. IIRC, J-Pak found that his K1000s are more detailed than his 313/404.

I don't have any Lambdas, but I do have the SR-404. I really like the soundstage/airy quality (Though I'd imagine that K1000s would be a LOT better in this regard) and find them awesome for gaming. I'd qualify the sound as "Smooth yet detailed," is that basically what you're hearing (Obviously not as detailed as the K1000s)?

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 25
As I stated in the Stax Thread, get a pro box and I think you'll squeeze some more detail out of the Lambdas. Enjoy!
lambda.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I don't have any Lambdas, but I do have the SR-404.

Technically, the 404 is a Lambda (part of the lambda series), hence the similarities to the pro/signature.

I recently got my hands on the 404/006t and have been enjoying it thoroughly. It's not super-detailed, but very fast, and extremely natural sounding. When I was first testing it at work to make sure it arrived ok (
wink.gif
), out of my measly EB01 as a source, there were a couple times the material tripped me up and made me think someone had started talking in the room.

I would like to get my hands on a decent Stax transformer at some point to try it with a couple speaker amps out of dumb curiosity. If someone has one they wish to offload or let me borrow, let me know.

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Would you say the soundstage sounds 3-dimensional?

So far the Omega 2 and K1000 were the only two headphones I've heard that have a very holographic 3-D soundstage.

I'd say it's on its way, but not quite there. Imagine if the normal 3-blob soundstage started to bleed toward each other.

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 25
You have a Pass Aleph 3 to pump the power to your energizer? It's time to step up to an SRD7Pro then, your Lambdas will thank you!

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #12 of 25
Nice find, Meyvn!
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I have read they are very close to the SR-404. If that is true, then they are a really great pair of headspeakers...

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 25
Ok first off go get something that will give you +580 volts, now!
wink.gif

These are great phones and they beat the HE90 in one important factor, dynamics. They have their flaws (bright, thin sounding with too much bass boom and a small headstage) but they are great for a budget system. They make me almost forget just how crappy the SRM-313 is and enjoy the music.
lambda.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 25
I haven't heard the K1000-- if I want that sort of sound I hang my little Monsoon planars with fishing line from an old macrame hanger, and then I-- well, suffice it to say you can't beat nearfield monitoring for some things. But as far as detail is concerned, I imagine the K1000 uses some form of mechanical damping. The Lambdas use the air load on the diaphragm, nothing more, and that makes the difference.

To be clear, I'm not talking about treble emphasis or "etching" here but the ability of a 'phone to reproduce what's been called inner detail, which is I think is what Meyvn's talking about, and which is dependent on a given diaphragm's ability to stop absolutely when the input signal says stop and go when it says go.

And yes, the SRD-6, while a perfectly usable transformer box, is much less capable at the frequency extremes than its big brother, the SRD-7. But it'll do for now.

Anyway, Meyvn, you can finally be a Stax maven. Welcome to Team One Micron! Get out your tiny rulers and wave 'em in Carl's face.

Oct 15, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Welcome to Team One Micron! Get out your tiny rulers and wave 'em in Carl's face.

Assuming the ruler is long enough to see with the naked eye, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back