Review: iHiFi 812 v2 portable player - an interesting "budget high-end" portable
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #46 of 96
Quote:
Project86,

What does your 960 say on the glass cover and what color are the screws?  If the glass cover says "IHIFI 960" on it and the screws are a gunmetal color, you've got the v1.1 version.  I have the older version but the company that makes the 960 are offering a free upgrade kit for the glass and screws.
The info is here (Google translate does a fairly good job):

http://www.i-hifi.com/960t.html

The "upgrade kit" is a new glass cover and new gunmetal colored screws.  Apparently the black screws could rust if exposed to humidity so these guys are going to the trouble of offering replacements.  I'd say that's pretty first class!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I don't have it with me so I can't remember the screws. But I fairly certain the screen says IHIFI 960 along the left hand side. So I probably do have the new model. But I agree - it is good of them to offer replacements, for a problem that likely isn't an issue for most people. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #47 of 96
I think that's amazing, coming from a small Chinese maker.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'd like another better DAP. I'd like 24/96 or better but am not certain it's needed on the go, so something like this is in the running. The Fiio x3 looks like the steal of the century when available but I've not been crazy about their portable amps so far. Nothing wrong with them but......

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #48 of 96
Quote:
I think that's amazing, coming from a small Chinese maker.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'd like another better DAP. I'd like 24/96 or better but am not certain it's needed on the go, so something like this is in the running. The Fiio x3 looks like the steal of the century when available but I've not been crazy about their portable amps so far. Nothing wrong with them but......

If the iHiFi players could handle 24/96 (even with mandatory downsampling, I'd be OK with that just so I could more easily drag most albums I want onto the player without regard to compatibility), I'd love that. But the 16/44.1 limitation is apparently difficult to overcome due to the SoC they use in these devices. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #49 of 96
Thank you for the very informative review & commentary about the 812 v2.  Have any of you fine people had a chance to spend time with the ihifi960 yet?  I'm curious to know how you feel it stacks up next to other DAPs in its price range.  Thanks again for the detailed reviews.  They are very much appreciated.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #50 of 96
I have both now, thanks to HK Sends, and I find the 960's sound to be more refined and analytical while the 812V2 has a warmer sound. I also noticed that the 960 has more volume output even though they have the same specs, but there are no gain switches on the 960 as opposed to the 812V2. Even with the gain set to "high", the 960 achieves higher volume levels before the halfway mark.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #51 of 96
I also have both, and am almost done with a 960 review. I don't find it drastically different in terms of sound signature - just better, more refined, but still the same character. Which makes sense to me based on the design changes. 

I agree about the gain though - yet 960 has not proven to have too much gain. Even very efficient CIEMs like Sensaphonics 3MAX sound great on it, and have just enough volume travel to make fine adjustments. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #52 of 96
project86, can you elaborate on what changes you're referring to? based from the spec i found in ebay, the only difference i found is the LPF. which is AD8672 on ihifi 812 to LME49720 in ihifi960.

by the way, can anyone comment the SQ of ihifi812/960 compared to HM801/DX100? that would be much appreciated :)

Thank you

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #53 of 96
Quote:
project86, can you elaborate on what changes you're referring to? based from the spec i found in ebay, the only difference i found is the LPF. which is AD8672 on ihifi 812 to LME49720 in ihifi960.

by the way, can anyone comment the SQ of ihifi812/960 compared to HM801/DX100? that would be much appreciated :)

Thank you

Specs mainly show LPF and system clock. But look at the pics and you can see the layout is different even if it may use similar chips:

812v2:

960:

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #54 of 96
I'm currently researching this item, I was wondering if the OP or anyone knows what the output impedance is from the headphone out?

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #55 of 96
Quote:
I'm currently researching this item, I was wondering if the OP or anyone knows what the output impedance is from the headphone out?

Answered via PM but for anyone else wondering - output impedance is just above 1 ohm, so it should be great for anything you want to plug in. 

May 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #58 of 96
Sorry, I only have the old QA350 not the V2. 
too bad bcause i hear people said that v2 much better sounding especially the HO.

Btw i'm really interested in 960. But here in indonesia quite hard to buying something overseas due to crappy customs bureau here. well u can order something on ebay and u might have receive 4 instead of 5 things you order. something like that.

May 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #59 of 96
Even if the package is delivered via fedex or ups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back