Review: HIFIMAN RE400 Waterline
Nov 3, 2015 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

notaris

Head-Fier

Review: HIFIMAN RE400 Waterline
A new reference

Introduction

Whoever is interested in earphones knows that basic earphone designs are usually single driver designs, and that this single driver is one of the two main kinds: Dynamic or balance armature. The merits and the weaknesses of each kind are more or less known.

However, occasionally, one encounters an earphone set that displays merits of both kinds to the point that it is really hard to decide if the set’s driver is a dynamic or a balance armature one. The explanation is very simple: It is the execution that counts most and not so much the kind of driver used (paraphrasing the common saying “it is the driver, not the car”). In other words, in the case of an outperforming set, the designer did such a good job that he overcame whatever weaknesses the employed driver had. And, at the end, the set performs so well that you don’t bother anymore of which kind the driver is. This is the case with the HIFIMAN RE400.

General description

On the outside, RE400 looks pretty underestimated. At first! Because if you pay a little attention, you realize that everything in it is designed to be (for what the set costs) of the highest quality, and this really shows.

The housings are crafted from machined-aluminum, and, althought rather conventional, they are lightweight and robust. Inside, there sit Titanium-coated 8.5mm dynamic drivers, custom designed by HIFIMAN and made in the Company’s premises, with powerful Neodymium magnets.

The cable is oxygen-free copper, 1.25m long, and cloth-covered up to the point where is splits to left and right; from that point on, it is plastic-covered. The earphones can be worn with the cables either hanging down or looping over the ears, whatever suits the listener best.

I certainly did not do a long term test, and it is therefore hard to tell how the RE400 will hold up in time. However, it is clear that the money was put in quality rather than on fancy design. The construction is very sturdy, and I cannot see a point where the set would fail. Of course all this is not surprising for a HIFIMAN product.

Sound quality

“Waterline” in sea is the point where a boat meets the water, and the term was chosen by HIFIMAN in order to emphasize that RE400 is reference within its class. But does RE400 truly stand up to expectations?

Let me first say that in reality it is imposible to define the term “reference”, and whoever attempts to do it, he does it with a certain (more or less) percent of subjectiveness; whatever he calls “reference” is “reference” for his ears, and it is based on how he feels that the term “reference” should be defined and on how he thinks that things should be judged. Having said that, it is hard to answer the question: Is RE400 a “reference” set? What I can say is that RE400 does almost everything right and almost nothing wrong; so, it is as close to “reference” as a set could be.

It has top clarity, and whatever comes out of it is delivered in a clear and natural way. Resolution is also top, revealing even the subtlest details of music. Furthermore, RE400 is tuned to be quite neutral (I am not sure if what people call “absolute neutreality” does actually exist). The set succeeds to have a nice balance between the lows, the mids and the highs, although its strength is probably in the mids; there is nothing wrong with this, as afterall that’s where the most of the music is. Here, I should note that the lows are taut and well-controlled, although it is mostly mid-bass rather than deep bass; so, bass heads should turn elsewhere, as this is not a “bassy” set. Also, the highs are fairly extended, but not annoying, and will satisfy the vast majority of listeners.

Is RE400 the most analytical set I have ever heard? No, but why should it be? It is by no means at the level of the wonderful Etymotic ER-4S, but the latter is not for everyone. Also, as I said, RE400 is not a bassy set, and it does not have a tremble that “digs a hole in your ear drum”. RE400 does not have sharp edges, simply because it was designed to be a fine and relaxed performer that is fun to listen to, and it does that job almost perfectly.

On top of what it was said, dynamics is really superb, so a listener does not have to crank the volume all the way up for confortable listening. Soundstaging and image, on the other hand, two issues that are rather tricky in earphones, are very satisfactory and certainly better than most earphones I have tried.

Overall, the sound comes out transparent and accurate, and RE400 is characterized by the delicacy and refinement that one is used to by a HIFIMAN set.     

RE400 does great with almost all kinds of music, given the restrictions mentioned above, but I think it excels most in jazz and classical pieces. Listen, for example to “Rhee Waahnee” of B. Dillard, by The Red Norvo Quintet, from the album The Forward Look, RR-8, which has been recorded live in 1957 and combines the Red Norvo vibes with guitar, reeds, bass and drums; or “O Vazio” of Jim Brock & Doug Hawthorne, by the Jim Brock Ensemble, from the album Tropic Affair, RR-31, where the introduction is like somebody is playing some “test” tones at various frequencies. The sound is natural, airy and pleasant, with fast passages delivered with extreme precision. If, on the other hand, you go to Sergei Rachmaninoff’s “Symphonic Dance #3” from Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances, by Eiji Que / Minnesota Orchestra, RR-96 HDCD, then you get all the power of this complex piece with extreme accuracy.

Did I have any complains? Simply and clearly, not a single one!

Comparison results  

I did compare the HIFIMAN RE400 with the Phonak Audéo PFE 012, which has been discontinued, and the Etymotic hf5. When the Phonak model was offered had the same MSRP as the RE400, i.e., $99.00. The Etymotic is a bit more expensive, $129.00.
·     The Phonak Audéo PFE 012 used a single balance armature driver and it was, when it was offered (and still is for me), one of the best earphone sets that I have ever tried in its price category and well beyond. It was almost perfectly neutral and balanced, with well extended highs, mellow mids and quite deep mid-bass, which was rather astonishing for a set using a balance armature driver. When I first listened to it, I thought that I would be hardly pressed in order to find a better set or even one which is as good as this one. Well, guess what? RE400 is at the same level as and has all the merits of PFE 012, although the two are of different character: The Phonak is more “atmospheric” and it makes you feel that it will reveal all the “mysticism” in the music. The RE400, on the other hand, is an airy, pleasant and relaxed performer that you simply do not want to take of your ears.
·     The Etymotic hf5 is a truly sophisticated set, whose design was based on the superb Etymotic ER-4S. It uses a single balance armature driver, and it does have an unsurpassed analytical presentation, revealing details that very few earphone sets can. It is also as close to perfectly neutral and balanced as a set can be, with very extended highs, wonderful mids and some or more than some mid-bass (depending largely on fit). Having said that, I should add that hf5 is not for everyone, as there is a number of listeners that do not care or maybe even do not want this analytical presentation at the expense of some extra mid-bass. For those listeners, RE400, which shares the same merits as the hf5 except for the analyticity, is the right choice. Moreover, RE400 has superior dynamics compared to hf5. 

Accessories and fit

My sample of RE400 came in a simple, yet quite adequate and aesthetically nice, packaging, which contained: Two bi-flange (of different sizes) and five single-flange (of different shapes and sizes) eartip sets; six pairs of filters protecting the earphone’s inner components from dust; a shirt clip; a clamshell carrying case; and an owner’s guide and warranty card. So, everything a listener would need is there.

Finding a proper eartip is easy, and once you do, fitting RE400 in your ear canals is simple and very comfortable, in particular, as the set is light-weight, so you might find yourself wearing it for hours. Also, assuming that the listener has found the right eartip, the level of sealing achieved is very high, providing excellent noise isolation and certainly among the best I have experienced.

As already mentioned, the cable is oxygen-free copper, 1.25m long, and cloth-covered up to the point where it splits to left and right; from that point on, it is plastic-covered. So, it is really of high quality and with rather minimal microphonics.

In conclusion
HIFIMAN RE400 Waterline is an earphone set that does almost everything right and almost nothing wrong. It is robustly constructed, yet light-weight, so very confortable to wear. Sound wise, it is extremely detailed with top clarity and almost perfect balance, and exceling in every part of the spectrum, mid-bass and highs but mostly mids. Furthermore, it has top dynamics, and good soundstage and image. Overall, RE400 has a presentation that is articulate, airy, pleasant and, most of all relaxed, up to a level that is hard to believe until you listen to it. I am most impressed, and I really cannot see what more could one ask.

I left the best for last: All this quality and performance is delivered with an MSRP of $99.00, and a street price of $79.00. As much as I scratch my head, I cannot see how HIFIMAN succeeded in this; it beats me! I would just say that at $99.00, RE400 is a big bargain; if one would ask you to pay twice as much, you would do it without a second thought. Now, at $79.00, RE400 is an actual steal. So, go get a set for as long as it is out there!

Specifications and price

Audio engine: Titanium-coated 8.5mm drivers custom designed by HIFIMAN
with Neodymium magnets
Frequency response: 15 - 22000 Hz
Impedance: 32 Ohms  + / -3.2 
Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW
Rated: 10 mW                                
Cable: 1.25 m oxygen-free copper cable, with 3.5 mm mini plug
Weight:  12.9 g
Price: $ 99.00

Reviewer’s note: The reviewer is particularly grateful to Dr. Fang Bian and to Jeff Han for providing the sample of RE400. 

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Is it any good with equing esp. the bass section?
Hello,

As I mentioned in my review, the RE400 is not a "bassy" set; its bass is taut, well-controlled, and mostly mid-bass rather than deep bass.

So, if you want a set with extended bass, you have to try other models.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Hello,

As I mentioned in my review, the RE400 is not a "bassy" set; its bass is taut, well-controlled, and mostly mid-bass rather than deep bass.

So, if you want a set with extended bass, you have to try other models.

Hmm, I'm surprised this was your experience, it seems to go contrary to the review at Innerfidelity and the measurements they made:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...00-songbird-dynamic-ear-monitors-measurements

It's been a few years since that review... perhaps the production has changed since then?

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Hmm, I'm surprised this was your experience, it seems to go contrary to the review at Innerfidelity and the measurements they made:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...00-songbird-dynamic-ear-monitors-measurements

It's been a few years since that review... perhaps the production has changed since then?
Hello,

Without doubting the measurements of Innerfidelity, please keep in mind two things:

1. The production might have gone through small refinements over time.

2. Even more important is that the measurements cannot be reflected on everyone's ears, in particular, on my "old" ears. On one hand, I don't have the equipment, like Innerfidelity, to make the measurements; and on the other, there are many cases where an earphone set has an almost perfect Frequency Response curve, but it is not equally perfect when you listen to it. Nonetheless, the measurements, if you can perform them, are very important, as they show you where the set stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back